• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider info from Game Informer (Nixxes handling Xbox 360 version)

New thread for new info.

Taken from the Game Informer cover announce via Alxjn.

According to GI, Nixxes is doing the 360 port. CD is focused on the Xbox One, and they claim they're doing it without even thinking of the 360 version.

More stuff from the article.

- At least two different locations across the globe.
- Jonah is back from the first game
- Environment itself as the main antagonist.
- Cloth and herb to heal wounds.
- More than one of each weapon type.
- Variety of bows with different attributes.
- Weather system that animals and human enemies react to.
- Not sure if they confirmed a day night cycle or not, they mentioned "animals reacting to" time of day.
- Hub areas are two to three times bigger than previous game.
- Lara can climb trees, hide in bushes, swim.
- Pushing for pre planning aspect to engaging in combat, though sneaking past everyone isnt the goal.
- Tools for distracting enemies and luring them where you want them.
- You can lose the enemies after engaging them.
- Game informer says combat reminds them of the Last of Us.
- CD talks about doing more with tombs and puzzles this time around.

From the puzzle part of the article.

- Want greater emphasis on puzzles this time.
- Talk of 'nested puzzles' returning from past Tomb Raider games; multi-stage puzzles.
- CD wants to integrate combat and traversal challenges into the puzzles.
- Still aiming to have the puzzles make sense in a realistic setting.

Veelk

Banned
Same writer from the first game is the worst news though.

I thought Gail Simmone was the new writer? I know she's writing the comics....

Anyway, Rhianna wasn't responsible for a good chunk of TR. Specifically, the out of cutscene portions that most people had a problem with clashing with the gameplay actions

You thought the story and character interactions were good in Tomb Raider 2013??

Not entirely, but people overblow the problems they had by a lot. Honestly, the story's biggest problem was that it was decisively average. It hit all the hero's journey points like they were on a check list of things that Lara must do.

The biggest issues seems like were not her fault.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I thought Gail Simmone was the new writer? I know she's writing the comics....

Anyway, Rhianna wasn't responsible for a good chunk of TR. Specifically, the out of cutscene portions that most people had a problem with clashing with the gameplay actions

Not entirely, but people overblow the problems they had by a lot. Honestly, the story's biggest problem was that it was decisively average. It hit all the hero's journey points like they were on a check list of things that Lara must do.

The biggest issues seems like were not her fault.

The story was forgettable in every sense....a copy/paste from the other thread of what I remember:

The only thing I remember about the story is:

- Shipwreck. (edit: wait, is this even how they got to the island? I can't even remember that.)
- Crying straight to murder
- Grunts
- Two pistols at the end

That is it....nothing else has stuck with me, nothing.

Well, they did do the PS3, PC, and PS4 versions of the first game, so it's not an unreasonable guess.

Ahh...didn't know that, thanks.

TripOpt55

Everything sounds pretty good. Hopefully the puzzles take on a much larger role. The little notes in the OP about them definitely sound good. Also digging the two locations. The picture of the sandy one looks cool.

Barzul

Fingers crossed it comes to PC although I'll probably buy it on the Xbox if there's going to be a delay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What? Has a PS4/PC version been confirmed? I thought this was only coming to the xbox one/360

No, but Microsoft and Crystal Dynamics both confirmed that their deal "has a duration" and in the Game Informer article CD explicitly notes that they haven't ruled other platforms out.

CD seems to only make one version of their games (for last gen, it was always 360), and then have external studios port them. The only time it wasn't Nixxes was with the Xbox One version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition I believe.

Or, tl;dr, given their history of working with Nixxes, if a PS4/PC version is ever released, it's not unreasonable for the poster to guess they'd be done by Nixxes.

Kuro

I really hope its less Uncharted and more exploring tombs/puzzles but I doubt it. I'm already getting Uncharted 4 and want something different from tomb raider when I get it on PC.

Veelk

Banned
The story was forgettable in every sense....a copy/paste from the other thread of what I remember:

The only thing I remember about the story is:

- Shipwreck. (edit: wait, is this even how they got to the island? I can't even remember that.)
- Crying straight to murder
- Grunts
- Two pistols at the end

That is it....nothing else has stuck with me, nothing.

That's more of a sign of your failing memory than any remark of quality on the game itself. Sorry, but I hate the criticism "i can't remember anything", as if that is indicative of anything except the person speaking. It's not even a specific mark against you, everyone has shitty memory, even the things they feel confident they remember well. People get robbed point blank, and then can't correctly identify who the robber was after seeing their face. Can't even get the right skin color in some cases. "I don't remember anything" means nothing.

As I said, TR has plenty of problems, it's blandness being part of it, but that merely makes it unremarkable, which isn't a good thing to be, maybe even worse than being outright bad. But it's mostly functional.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Nixxes handles the eventual PC version. They do good work on PC ports.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They confirmed this? Source?

From Crystal Dynamics: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/95495143805/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-faq

CD said:
Rise of the Tomb Raider FAQ
Thank you for sending us your comments and questions. We looked through the posts on several channels and collected the questions you asked the most into the following FAQ.

What does exclusive to Xbox mean?
It means that Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming Holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Does the exclusive to Xbox have a duration? Is it timed? How long is the duration? Can we expect a PlayStation 4 or PC release in the future?
Yes, our deal with Microsoft has a duration. We aren’t discussing details of the deal, and are focused on delivering a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Did Crystal Dynamics know about this deal?
Yes, Crystal Dynamics is excited to be partnering with Microsoft to make the best game possible. As Darrell mentioned in his message, we have a long history with Microsoft and they have been a very strong supporter of the franchise. They will help us grow and nurture the Tomb Raider franchise more than ever before.

Were the fans considered when making this decision? Are Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix aware of the franchise history with PlayStation and on PC?
Of course. We did not make this decision lightly. Our goal is to build the best game that we possibly can, and our relationship with Microsoft will help us realize our vision for the game.

Why didn’t Microsoft, Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics say upfront it was a timed exclusive? Why all the indirect language?
We certainly didn’t intend to cause any confusion with the announcement. The Microsoft Gamescom stage was a great place to make the initial announcement, but not necessarily to go into details.

xxracerxx

That's more of a sign of your failing memory than any remark of quality on the game itself. Sorry, but I hate the criticism "i can't remember anything", as if that is indicative of anything except the person speaking. It's not even a specific mark against you, everyone has shitty memory, even the things they feel confident they remember well. People get robbed point blank, and then can't correctly identify who the robber was after seeing their face. Can't even get the right skin color in some cases. "I don't remember anything" means nothing.

As I said, TR has plenty of problems, it's blandness being part of it, but that merely makes it unremarkable, which isn't a good thing to be, maybe even worse than being outright bad. But it's mostly functional.

Sorry that I would like a game to be memorable enough to actually make a mark personally for me to remember the story just 2 years since release.

I don't know if it's something but at least a ps4 dev kit turned on in the video.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150455888&postcount=755

I'm glad CD isn't working on last gen version though, they can concentrate on the Xbox One version to look even better, I'm confident about Nixxes for porting the game though, good studio.

Yeah, it's a timed exclusive. And it's great that they're not even having to consider the design implications of working with last gen. It'll allow them to take advantage of the current gen machines all the more.

Fingers crossed it comes to PC although I'll probably buy it on the Xbox if there's going to be a delay.

I'd just wait. If your PC can handle it, I'd just play it on the more capable system and not have to double dip either. Even though I got GTA5 for the PS3, I didn't get the PS4 version because I'm waiting for the PC version. Just remember, you can still use the One controller on your PC if you want.

I don't know if it's something but at least a ps4 dev kit turned on in the video.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150455888&postcount=755

I'm glad CD isn't working on last gen version though, they can concentrate on the Xbox One version to look even better, I'm confident about Nixxes for porting the game though, good studio.

So with that pic, it's possible the PS4 and PC versions would be done by then, but are paid to keep it on the shelf for now right?

Veelk

Banned
Sorry that I would like a game to be memorable enough to actually make a mark personally for me to remember the story just 2 years since release.
No such game exists. You forget. Everyone forgets. They can remember, but if you want proof, get a few sheets of paper and write down the most memorable game experience you have. Write out every single detail you possibly can. If possible, have it be a script, where you recall every line, word for word. Then replay that game.

You will fail. Even for the first 10 minutes, you will come across things you just forgot. That is why people reread, rewatch, and replay stuff. Because there is nothing in the world you remember perfectly. Even savant people who have extremely good recall make errors.

If you define good games as ones you remember, then it's up to you to train yourself to remember things better.

Innolis

Am I the only one not wanting a bigger focus on puzzles? I'd rather it be more focused on discovery and exploration rather than huge brain seizure inducing puzzles...

xxracerxx

No such game exists. You forget. Everyone forgets. They can remember, but if you want proof, get a few sheets of paper and write down the most memorable game experience you have. Write out every single detail you possibly can. If possible, have it be a script, where you recall every line, word for word. Then replay that game.

You will fail. Even for the first 10 minutes, you will come across things you just forgot. That is why people reread, rewatch, and replay stuff. Because there is nothing in the world you remember perfectly. Even savant people who have extremely good recall make errors.

If you define good games as ones you remember, then it's up to you to train yourself to remember things better.

Alrighty. Guess I was wrong about TR 2013 and it was actually a great/good story experience with some of the best/decent character interactions you could find. My old man memory just doesn't remember every minute detail so I can not criticize that the story is forgettable to me.

Am I the only one not wanting a bigger focus on puzzles? I'd rather it be more focused on discovery and exploration rather than huge brain seizure inducing puzzles...
I think everyone wants better puzzles...the first ones were single rooms and had no challenge.

Veelk

Banned
Alrighty. Guess I was wrong about TR 2013 and it was actually a great/good story experience with some of the best/decent character interactions you could find. My old man memory just doesn't remember every minute detail so I can not criticize that the story is forgettable to me.

In addition to your training for greater memory skills, you should look up what a strawman fallacy is as well.

To some, maybe. But to me it was a HUGE issue with the game. Characters were boring and the story and dialogue were laughable, not in a good way

Whereas the tales spun in Tomb Raider Legends and such are really fantastically written?

Cmon now, no reasonable person should be holding the plot of a Tomb Raider game against it given that no one has ever cared about the plot in a Tomb Raider game.

Top Bottom