• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X "Direct" on Feb. 6 [info in OP]

un1que

This view from the E3 2013 trailer is probably the highest we've ever gotten. It shows that you can indeed see other zones from your current location. Since they said they want it to be seamless, I'm guessing you'll be able to fly there no problem

untitled-1p2zfc.png

What are people's thoughts on this being the whole map?

Really hope it isn't. I Loved the variety in xenoblade and I hope they go above and beyond in this one.

ugoo18

Really hope it isn't. I Loved the variety in xenoblade and I hope they go above and beyond in this one.

I seriously doubt it is, pre Xenoblade Chronicles had they shown off every single area?

Besides that ocean probably has some secret landmasses as well, if they are letting you swim through it without the poisoning that happens in Xenoblade Chronicles then there must be something out there. That's based purely on the Treehouse guy saying he was swimming for 15 or 20 minutes out from the coast and never hit a wall of sorts before he gave up and turned back.

Most of that stuff was vocal tracks, didn't they say that this game has over 90 music tracks with there only being 4 vocal tracks total? They might have played all 4 vocal tracks during the preview video.

Also, please be sure to download the preview video directly, there is no stuttering at all in this game, a locked 30fps is what it seems to be, which is great.
I don't remember them saying anything about four vocal tracks. I think they actually said there would be many vocal tracks as compared to Xenoblade's one.

As far as the map goes, I've been impressed with the scale with every video. That's why I was shocked when they showed the five areas and the thought "That's it?" creeped into my mind. I still think the world is impressive, but I can't help feeling that way when looking at that map.

Instro

Most of that stuff was vocal tracks, didn't they say that this game has over 90 music tracks with there only being 4 vocal tracks total? They might have played all 4 vocal tracks during the preview video.

Also, please be sure to download the preview video directly, there is no stuttering at all in this game, a locked 30fps is what it seems to be, which is great.

It's Sawano, there are going to be a shit ton of vocals. I haven't heard anything about only 4, I would be shocked if that were the case.

It's Sawano, there are going to be a shit ton of vocals. I haven't heard anything about only 4, I would be shocked if that were the case.

Yep you guys are right, I went and double checked. Sorry about that, I'm not sure why I thought it was only 4 vocal tracks. Damn, I wish I was right though, we need more ambient music, not vocals.....

rhandino

Banned
I seriously doubt it is, pre Xenoblade Chronicles had they shown off every single area?.
There was a trailer showing exploration in almost all the areas, they only omited
Satorl Marsh, Valak Mountain and Sword Valley
, hell they even showed
The Fallen Arm, Mechonis Field and Agniratha
before release.

Also, they have showed an overview but there maybe still underground areas and hidden ones... also the map is massive for each area it seems.

ugoo18

There was a trailer showing exploration in almost all the areas, they only omited
Satorl Marsh, Valak Mountain and Sword Valley
, hell they even showed
The Fallen Arm, Mechonis Field and Agniratha
before release.

Also, they have showed an overview but there maybe still underground areas and hidden ones... also the map is massive for each area it seems.

Then there's still a decent chance of a few more areas. After all
Valak was a pretty big area and Sword Valley was a key one, Sartorl at night was one of the most visually pleasing

TheMoon

Even if they did indeed show the entire map.

My only disappointment comes from the fact that we probably won't have another
Mechonis Field

Other than that, I'm fine.

I'll actually trade more fields for good dungeons.

I don't believe there is a whole other continent they're hiding from us but I do believe there is a late game location in some form of huge enemy base, maybe one of their ships that is of significant size. Note how the continents are shaped in a way that allows for a huge ship to land in the sea between them. That could end up being this game's Mechonis-type location.

More translations from Gessenkou, this time on probes, mining probes in particular:

Holy cow, that is awesome stuff right there. The probes can be configured to give you combat buffs (etc) across the whole area :O

I'm still struggling to see the downgrade though

There never was a downgrade. The graphics have actually improved with additional effects and small touch ups between scenes we have seen multiple times in the various trailers. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise.

It sold under 190k in Japan, was heavily pirated across the world for a while until the United States finally got it. Sold about 400k in North America last I saw.

it sold 400k in the states while being a gamestop exclusive with very little advertising and with like 1 million pirates. thats kinda amazing that it achieved that much, it had everything going against it

Don't quote VG Chartz numbers. Meaningless. Unless you have an actual source for those supposed 400k.

I still think that map is small

Then you haven't really grasped the scale.

Is there a similar scale map of all or most of Xenoblade's world for comparison?

Xenoblade doesn't work like that, it's not a flat world so you'd have to manually piece all the area maps together.

Has it been confirmed that it is the whole map of the game ?
Because there is already an area missing that isn't included in the revealed continents (for example the mechanic area with long bridge from the second trailer)

If true, comparing this map with Xenoblade chronicles means that Chronicles have twice as much continents, what I simply cannot believe.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that map indeed feels small, expecially since you can fly over it. I have no doubts many areas haven't been showed yet, tho

TheMoon

Has it been confirmed that it is the whole map of the game ?
Because there is already an area missing that isn't included in the revealed continents (for example the mechanic area with long bridge from the second trailer)

If true, comparing this map with Xenoblade chronicles means that Chronicles have twice as much continents, what I simply cannot believe.

If it had been confirmed we wouldn't have people speculating about whether or not this is everything ;)

Also, guys. This map is anything but small. Look at any map as a whole and it will "feel" small...because you can see it all at the same time. Look at a globe. The world map of Earth sure feels small.

I am kinda dissapointed with the map too. But my concerns are again tied to my biggest annoyance in this game: Neo LA.

Given the size of it on the world map i have to think about the scale of our arc ship before it was destroyed. It had to be bigger than all these continents/this planet combined.
Don´t get me started on Pizza shops, cafés and luxury homes with pools on an escape ship for humanity. Or why they survived the crash without a broken window.

Nosgotham

I am kinda dissapointed with the map too. But my concerns are again tied to my biggest annoyance in this game: Neo LA.

Given the size of it on the world map i have to think about the scale of our arc ship before it was destroyed. It had to be bigger than all these continents/this planet combined.
Don´t get me started on Pizza shops, cafés and luxury homes with pools on an escape ship for humanity. Or why they survived the crash without a broken window.

Maybe the whole "pizza shops, cafes" stuff is tied into the narrative somehow. A comment on the constant need for humanity to choose convenience over all else... Maybe not. But I'll wait till I play to judge it.

RagnarokX

Fcd3B0s.jpg

rjinaz

Unfortunately I think it's a harsh reality. If there ever was a sudden urge to leave the planet due to a natural disaster, it's likely only the very rich and those that are deemed as essential that would be evacuated. It's not like they are going to ship off 6-7 billion people. Think 2012, or Deep Impact, or Fallout.

I have no doubt the rich would be selfish in their idea of life on another planet and there would be things like a pizza parlor and other nonessential things.

If you guys want a better idea of the sheer scale of the game.... which is pretty insane (since it's tough to glean from the map... because everything looks so small from above):

Here's the map that they've showed up so far: http://i.imgur.com/jOpIq5k.png + Slighlty bigger view of Primordial Wilderness: http://i.imgur.com/s177goM.png
If you watched either of the Treehouse demo's, the general path they took is lined in pink on this image: http://i.imgur.com/1H3Qwxb.png
And here... is the player walking up to the walls of New Los Angeles in Primordial Wilderness:http://youtu.be/WTW1sjmoY2c?t=39m52s

As you can see.... the city walls are absolutely ginormous. The area inside the city is pretty big too, as we've seen in glimpses so far. The rest of the map is pretty damn big too.
Again, it can give you a better sense of the sheer size and scale of the world (or just the first area of the world actually).

Maybe the whole "pizza shops, cafes" stuff is tied into the narrative somehow. A comment on the constant need for humanity to choose convenience over all else... Maybe not. But I'll wait till I play to judge it.

They did mention one of those alien species (the short ones) are really fond of pizza... Anyways, the residential and commercial districts of NLA were designed as areas where people can live 'as they used to live on Earth'. It's really not far-fetched that they would want areas where they can live 'normally' and at least for a little while, forget they're stranded on an unknown alien planet with potential hostilities surrounding them where the prospects of survival are bleak. That's my take anyways. Also the city sphere did have thrusters, and the blue energy shield to cushion its fall. (Presumably that same energy shield is what caused those crystal/ice shards to form all around the city, whether directly or indirectly).

fred

For anyone who's concerned about the scale of the game, you may want to think about this - the first game on the Wii was bloomin huge and the sequel looks to be bigger than that.

I'm not worried about the scale of the game myself.

JCX

For anyone who's concerned about the scale of the game, you may want to think about this - the first game on the Wii was bloomin huge and the sequel looks to be bigger than that.

I'm not worried about the scale of the game myself.

Yeah there are plenty of areas in Xenoblade that a never visited, partially due to how slow running is. XCX seems to fix this with sprinting, faster jumping, and mechs.

@scale:

For me, this is a psychological effect because you see the map on a tiny jpeg and you can't comprehend the scale of the game in your mind.

This game is fucking gigantic.

Yeah there are plenty of areas in Xenoblade that a never visited, partially due to how slow running is. XCX seems to fix this with sprinting, faster jumping, and mechs.

Quick Steps Gem all the way with that game.

Some bits are a little dumb to go to though =X (I remember a cave that you find by swimming for like, almost 10 minutes)

Yep you guys are right, I went and double checked. Sorry about that, I'm not sure why I thought it was only 4 vocal tracks. Damn, I wish I was right though, we need more ambient music, not vocals.....

It's Sawano, so you're not going to get ambient music. He only knows how to make bombastic music.

Lilo_D

For those who think the map is small.
XCX has the most complex terrain in video game.
In same area it may have multiple layers.
From the 2d top-down map, you can't really tell how big it is.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anyways, the residential and commercial districts of NLA were designed as areas where people can live 'as they used to live on Earth'. It's really not far-fetched that they would want areas where they can live 'normally' and at least for a little while, forget they're stranded on an unknown alien planet with potential hostilities surrounding them where the prospects of survival are bleak. That's my take anyways.

Reminds me of how the SDF1 in Robotech had Macross City inside of it.

That city had a Chinese food restaurant, so why not? :)

QaQlNsI.gif

jRHiBVc.jpg

FFP6CHQ.png

wrowa

My problem isn't that the world might be too small, but that if the world is indeed as big as they claimed (5 times Xenoblade), then the layout of the map doesn't seem to be interesting enough. Like, going the straight line from the east part of NLA to the west part of NLA would take you 20 minutes of, well, just walking in a straight line. So I hope that the 5 times Xenoblade comment includes areas that weren't shown yet or at least the ocean.

rjinaz

@scale:

For me, this is a psychological effect because you see the map on a tiny jpeg and you can't comprehend the scale of the game in your mind.

Got to agree. Even a large country like England, or heck even the US looks small if zoomed out far enough, like from space. These are huge land masses, that will take quite a long while to explore.

Not that I believe these are the only areas in the game. People seem to forget this is a very long game based on what has been said. I have no doubt the story will evolve and will result in the discovery of new areas.

TheMoon

@scale:

This is exactly what's happening. I find it weird that mentioning their concerns here don't realize this.

My problem isn't that the world might be too small, but that if the world is indeed as big as they claimed (5 times Xenoblade), then the layout of the map doesn't seem to be interesting enough. Like, going the straight line from the east part of NLA to the west part of NLA would take you 20 minutes of, well, just walking in a straight line. So I hope that the 5 times Xenoblade comment includes areas that weren't shown yet or at least the ocean.

I have trouble understanding the issue here. You're never walking around just to be walking around. You're always doing something and you can fast travel all over the place if you need to be somewhere specific. If I have nothing to do in the city then I have no reason to walk around in it. Layout wise, it's a small snippet of a city. Not "a city" like in your typical GTA-clone where the city is everything you have. We have seen numerous examples of layered, complex and varied environments outside of NLA.

Quick Steps Gem all the way with that game.

Some bits are a little dumb to go to though =X (I remember a cave that you find by swimming for like, almost 10 minutes)

I maxed out Quick Step on the character I was controlling while playing Xenoblade. It felt like a requirement for how big some of the areas were considering you had no mounts in that game, lol.

I maxed out Quick Step on the character I was controlling while playing Xenoblade. It felt like a requirement for how big some of the areas were considering you had no mounts in that game, lol.

Yeah, I would sometimes leave a character I didn't play with with a lot of Quick Step gems on, so when I was not fighting I would just use them to run fast and explore places.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I honestly believe than anyone who considers this map small has a perception problem.
Watch again the zoom out sequence. Here are some screenshots from that:

View from above when you can still distinguish the characters:
x19iu1p.jpg

This is almost the last where you see the characters as dots:
x2ivu07.jpg

The highest view in that zoom out, where the previous image is maybe around 1/10 of it
x3xvu7i.jpg

And the continent map where the previous image is just approximately an area of a hexagon
s177goM.png

Edit: on top of this there are multiple vertical layers, some of them probably reachable only in mechs.

Top Bottom