• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Nice of you to drop in.
I was answering someone who didn't put Cage's game in the cinematic class, that's why i asked.
Either he forgot, either he believes they are not games.

But i'm glad you was able to show off some of your great intelligence here.

Doesn't take great intelligence to see that they're games, just like anything else. You press buttons and interact to move the story forward. They just do so in a different way with different goals.

RaD has never once made their goals unclear. From the get go they've described their aim to create a "filmic" title, and that's exactly what it seems like they'll deliver. If the story is solid, and the gunplay good (which seems to be the case given the impressions we have), then it'll be worth the money I pay for it. It'll be the first new release I buy this year, and the only question I have in ny mind is whether to keep the collector's edition or not

Looks like we finally have official numbers:

At an event in Milan, CTO Andrea Pessino finally answered in detail the topical question, asked by the audience.

According to Pessino, Ready at Dawn’s internal metrics show that if you play the game at a normal pace and difficulty level, you can finish the game in a window between eight and ten hours. If you play in hard mode or you take your time to seek for every single little detail, you’ll probably clock about twelve hours or more.
Pessino also admitted that yes, if you rush through the game skipping everything you can, you can probably manage the clear in five hours and a half.

From dual shockers, they are still blocked

That sounds very reasonable. I don't see an issue. Most folks who are complaining about the game length are being AAA-holes now. Just don't buy the game if it is bothering you so much. Just understand this is not an rpg or an open game. Treat it like the game it was made as. A linear, story focused shooter. Deal with it.

NeoGAF isn't even throwing any errors yet, I think "the whole internet" is safe on this one.

Maybe he just can't answer because there isn't ever a single answer to this sort of question. It's not like the answer won't just end up as fodder for your "whole internet meltdown" as people decide how they want to interpret the answer, subject to their own confirmation bias on the subject.

We are not asking him about God's existence, it's about length. How can an answer with numbers be subjective?
Not one number but two, for example 8-10 hours.

Your are right the whole internet is safe, but nevermind, it's not in the studio's best interest to have this conversation lasting, a few days from launch.

Did you guys play Lords of Shadow? That game was pretty damn long and enjoyable.

Felt refreshing, I miss things that feel epic for their length and not for the sheer spectacle.

braves01

Banned
For some reason my Redboxes don't carry PS4/X1/Wii U games.

I can see a used copy showing up at GameStop by the end of the month. I can just grab one, blow through it, and then put my money on Bloodborne.

Honestly, I bet a good quantity of used copies start showing up by Monday. It's a good way to experience The Order, get everything you can out of it over the weekend, which seems totally doable, and get $30-40 back afterwards by trading it in.

M°°nblade;152305457 said:
I get what you were trying to say and I agree. Lot's of adults are single or don't have children to take care of and thus have more time for certain 'timesink' games. Being an adult without responsibilities is not an insult as it doesn't imply someone is 'irresponsible' (as in 'not having a proper sense of responsibility'). It just means you're in a situation, whether or not by your own choice, that doesn't require much responsibility.

Yes, that's what I meant. Damn, you should have wrote my initial comment. Haha!

nib95

Banned
Updated list of GAFer first time completions, including the relevant difficulty levels.

OsirisBlack - 14 hours Hard
Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Periniumlick - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
ReNeGaDe124 - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Average is 10 hours 43 minutes.

At an event in Milan, CTO Andrea Pessino finally answered in detail the topical question, asked by the audience.

According to Pessino, Ready at Dawn’s internal metrics show that if you play the game at a normal pace and difficulty level, you can finish the game in a window between eight and ten hours. If you play in hard mode or you take your time to seek for every single little detail, you’ll probably clock about twelve hours or more.
Pessino also admitted that yes, if you rush through the game skipping everything you can, you can probably manage the clear in five hours and a half.

From dual shockers, they are still blocked

This completely lines up with GAF times. Almost perfectly.

QaaQer

Updated list of GAFer first time completions, including the relevant difficulty levels.

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

So the guy from rad was telling the truth? Or is everyone lying except YouTube guy?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

Why would you include both Hard and Normal playthroughs in a single average?

So the guy from rad was telling the truth? Or is everyone lying except YouTube guy?

The YouTube guy has his entire playthrough online. People can watch it if they want and determine if he was rushing or not.

I won't be doing so, since I don't want to spoil the game, obviously.

Honestly, I bet a good quantity of used copies start showing up by Monday. It's a good way to experience The Order, get everything you can out of it over the weekend, which seems totally doable, and get $30-40 back afterwards by trading it in.

dont forget to use that birthday coupon 20% off used games.

K.Sabot

I know you /s'd but I actually watched a bunch of a Dark Souls 2 blind playthrough from a Dark Souls 1 speed runner (Elajjaz I believe) and it took him a few days and around 30 hours. Not really making a point from it, just a fun bit of info I can throw in on that.

EDIT: It was Santzo actually, now that I remember.

Did you guys play Lords of Shadow? That game was pretty damn long and enjoyable.

Felt refreshing, I miss things that feel epic for their length and not for the sheer spectacle.

I really like the Lords of Shadow games, they felt surprisingly long, but had some pacing issues. The first game especially felt grand in scope thanks to the size of the locales and the fixed camera angles making them look even bigger.

Kaze2212

the good old "i had more fun with short games, than I had with longer ons" response..

I don't know. There are many "shorter" games that I like much better than "longer" games, but there are also many "longer" games that I like better than "shorter" games. Also this game probably won't be much different from the other games of it's genre regarding playtime. This discussion is getting out of hand though ever since that youtube playthrough appaered.

Darkangel

I think The Evil Within should set the standard for full-priced singleplayer games:
  • ~15 Hour Story
  • Replay Value (largely due to the interesting/complex mechanics)
  • New Game+
  • Collectibles (most of which actually added something story related or gave you useful items)
  • Good Difficulty Modes (Hard and Akuma mode were very challenging and significantly altered the enemy placement)
  • Speedrun Potential (Game was divided into chapters and even had a trophy for beating the story in under 5 hours)
  • SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES! (for the most part)
If The Order is really only 5.5 hours for a normal playthrough and 10 hours for a plat, then I don't think it is worth $70+ Canadian Dollars. I don't have issues with the game itself, but if a game is that bare-bones it should be sold at a lower price.

As for the competition, most AAA third person shooters are a lot longer:
Max Payne 3: 10 Hours (plus multiplayer and time/score attack)
Gears of War 1: 9 Hours (plus multiplayer and co-op)
Gears of War 2: 10 Hours (plus multiplayer, co-op, and horde mode)
Gears of War 3: 9.5 Hours (plus multiplayer, co-op, horde mode, and beast mode)
Uncharted 1: 9 Hours
Uncharted 2: 11 Hours (plus multiplayer)
Uncharted 3: 9 Hours (plus multiplayer)
The Last of Us: 15 Hours (plus multiplayer)
Tomb Raider (2013): 11.5 Hours (plus shitty multiplayer)

Games like Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are short, but they're games that are held together almost entirely on their gameplay. These games are meant to be replayed constantly and "mastered." From what I've seen of The Order I don't think it's that type of game. Portal was also short, but was included as part of a package deal and later sold for only $20. If RAD wanted to make a filmic 5.5 hours game then that's perfectly fine, but to charge $60 just makes it not worth buying new.

Purest 78

the good old "i had more fun with short games, than I had with longer ons" response..

For me a game has to be really special to hold my attention for 8 to 10 hours. Maybe it comes with age, but I really don't like long games anymore. Tlou is the only long game I've enjoyed in a long time.

-MD-

edit: someone got a link to youtube guys playthrough?

Search PlayMeThrough on youtube.

I think The Evil Within should set the standard for full-priced singleplayer games:
  • ~15 Hour Story
  • New Game+
  • Collectibles (most of which actually added something story related or gave you useful items)
  • Good Difficulty Modes (Hard and Akuma mode were very challenging and significantly altered the enemy placement)
  • Speedrun Potential (Game was divided into chapters and even had a trophy for beating the story in under 5 hours)

I agree with you here! TEW has loads of content and replay value for a single player only game.

Skux

I am still hyped and making the OT, but hearing about this is disappointing. The IP really appeals to me and I'd hoped that RAD would come out with a strong first showing that we can all agree on.

But thinking about it further, the value just doesn't add up. At the $60 price point for shooters and action games, many other games offer either

a) longer linear campaigns of high quality (The Last of Us)
b) large open worlds to explore and mess around in (GTA, Watch Dogs)
c) comprehensive multiplayer modes (Gears of War, Battlefield, Call of Duty)
d) new game+ modes (Dead Space)
e) alternate single player modes with different rules (DmC)
f) challenge modes/arenas (Devil May Cry)
g) replay value from gameplay mastery (Vanquish, Bayonetta)
h) non-linear elements and alternate endings based on player choices (Infamous)

I will still play this day one, but will be selling it shortly after I get the platinum, like I do with most other single player games.

JNA

Banned
The people that have bought Metal Gear Ground Zeros have no right to complain about game length. :p

/s if the smiley didn't indicate that.

RK128

Here's the thing though. The 5.5 hour total gameplay time is getting all the attention now, but if it were not for that people would be ripping the game up for the extreme amount of cutscenes, uninspired TPS gameplay, QTEs, and instadeath stealth sections. Any of those could torpedo a game. Although if the game was long enough and the cutscenes skippable that'd get a pass.

On top of all that, the cardinal sin for this game is that people are saying the story feels incomplete. How can you have a game that banks everything on the story, and still mess up that part? If I had to guess I'd say it is because they didn't realize that carefully scripted cinematic gameplay takes a lot of time and money to do. They probably had to drastically cut back on their original vision of the game.

Really? Then RAD should have re-considered the type of game this would be then :l. I mean, if it was scaled back a bit and the core gameplay was stronger (like say, a platformer like Daxter or a lower-budget action game), then they could of had their long, grand story without any budget issue.

Making the game a pure TPS is nice and all, but not doing anything 'special' with that forced RAD to have Uncharted/God of War levels of presentation to compensate for that...leading to a game that (supposedly, never played this before nor plan on getting it) forced itself to push visuals and story over (one of the critical parts of a game) making its gameplay strong and/or unique.

Either way, Sony and RAD must have known this when developing the game, so if a worst-case senaro happens with this game not selling well, Sony won't shutter the studio or make them be absorbed into Santa Monica (ala Cambridge being absorbed into Guerrilla Games).

Vitor711

• ~15 Hour Story
  • New Game+
If The Order is really only 5.5 hours for a normal playthrough and 10 hours for a plat, then I don't think it is worth $70+ Canadian Dollars. I don't have issues with the game itself, but if a game is that bare-bones it should be sold at a lower price.

Games like Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are short, but they're games that are held together almost entirely on their gameplay. These games are meant to be replayed constantly and "mastered." From what I've seen of The Order I don't think it's that type of game. Portal was also short, but was included as part of a package deal and later sold for only $20. If RAD wanted to make a filmic 5.5 hours game then that's perfectly fine, but to charge $60 just makes it not worth buying new.

According to the average Gaf completion time, it puts The Order up there with UC1/TR (minus MP). Surely that's sort of going against your point?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's not that I want games to cost less. It's just a matter of getting what I payed for - like many other things in life, I just want my money's worth and I don't feel that $60 is worth something that I could beat in one afternoon. If that's the case then 1886 should go directly to PS Now - and any other (new) current-gen/crossover titles of that ilk.
It sounds like they're banking on there being branching paths resulting from how well you perform QTE's.

5 hour game? No man, you'll want to replay it a lot to see all the different content we put into... QTE's.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

Theman2k - 12 hours Hard
Verendus - 10 hours Hard
Rapier - 9 hours Normal
Nbkt - 9 hours Normal

This completely lines up with GAF times. Almost perfectly.

Nice this makes me happy. I trust gaf

Either way, Sony and RAD must have known this when developing the game, so if a worst-case senaro happens with this game not selling well, Sony won't shutter the studio or make them be absorbed into Santa Monica (ala Cambridge being absorbed into Guerrilla Games).

Sony doesn't own RAD.
They can't do anything to them.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I have played and completed games I consider mediocre. Some games took as little as five hours to complete, others took as much as 60 hours to complete. In the end, I think it is maddening to measure quality based on game length. Different games require different lengths and I think people are doing themselves a disservice by dismissing games that fall below their threshold of what constitutes a long enough game to be enjoyed.

What matters most to me in single player campaigns is the ability to replay and have just as much fun, or close to as much fun, during a second and third run as compared to the first. A perfect example is Resident Evil 4, which can be completed in under 10 hours quite easily and casually. Sure, the game has a mercenaries mode for extra content, but I am specifically referring to the campaign, which I have played through dozens of times and still have as much fun as I did the first time.

Simply being very fun to play should justify any game length. Attaching such an arbitrary number is useless. REmake just re-released and people are ecstatic about it. Guess what? That game can be completed in five hours with minimal effort. Why aren't people complaining about it? Oh right, because it can be just as much fun to replay.

FATALITY

Banned
  • ~15 Hour Story
  • New Game+

the evil wiyhin is 9 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYbOFsL_O4

gears of war 5 hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsVq11WLYco

video dont lie

For the new page. Might want to add it to the OP.

So I'm guessing I'll take somewhere between 7 and 9 hours to complete it. That's fine by me, especially after I've just gone on a run where I played Shadow of Mordor, AC Unity, Far Cry 4, and inFamous First Light. I need a break from open world games.

RK128

According to the average Gaf completion time, it puts The Order up there with UC1/TR (minus MP). Surely that's sort of going against your point?

Oh, that isn't that bad then :); 9-11 hours for an action game seems to be the 'perfect' length for a game of that type (notably if it has a strong focus on story).

Guess the lets-player that beat the easy or normal and just ran through the game instead of 'fully' playing it (beating it on hard or super hard...). Even then though, game-length is very subjective as depending on the person, games can be very short or very long.

I will just say this example due to really loving the game; MM3D. I played the game for at least 15 hours so far and beat the first two temples, have 12/20 pieces of heart, most of the masks, max arrow upgrade, first bomb bag upgrade....and I'm only half way through the game (still have to beat Great Bay Temple and Stone Tower Temple, complete a few more side-quests, have at least five more masks to find and have one more bomb bag upgrade to get). Is the game long? Yes it is, but I played half way through it in just a day and a half due to loving the game so much.

The point I'm trying to get across is that The Order might be a 10 hour game, but it might be so enjoyable to some, that they played through it like nothing :D.

Hahs

This tinfoil hat mentality really needs to go away. That sounds ridiculous to me - "getting one over us" - like it's some conspiracy.

Point is, the world doesn't revolve around any one of us to have that sort of mentality.

If a game is too long/short vs. price - YOU make a value judgement. I have, and many others have.

It's not about setting a 'standard' and saying 'X time (length) = X $ (price)' for a game.

Like I said, don't find value to buy, then rent, no value there, then leave it alone. No need for vitriolic sourness that is often plaguing a lot of gamers these days. At least the vocal minority (hoping it's a vocal minority).

Conspiracy? Hardly.

I agree with you that I/we have a choice to not buy something, however, If you - or some other geezer is targeted by marketing to appreciate or buy an undervalued product for full price - someone is getting taken advantage of. I don't care how morals line up - this is a certainty.

If someone has the right to throw something in my face, and like Ru Weerasuriya, passionately defend reasoning on pricing regardless of final production value, THAT type of tinfoil mentality needs to go away.

Korten

Banned
Man, RAD should have made a 'normal' game. Screw them for not wanting to make a 'real' game. These cinematic games, how dare they try and emulate movies- we as gamers should fight for more variety in our games while also fighting against types of games we don't like, thus limiting the amount of variety.

Less cinematic, more hack and slash, or more platformers. Cause we all know there is no platformers these days. :/

Sorry, trying to be funny, but failing horrible. Honestly my point is that is that cinematic games are just fine. They aren't taking away from any other genre of games Really getting sick of this anti-cinematic wave that is happening.

Valnen

Ico
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid
God of War

All full price, single player only games. All "short". All great.

Games like Metal Gear Rising or Vanquish last enthusiasts of the genre much longer than one playthrough, making them worth the money. Will The Order: 1886 do the same? When determining a game's worth, I like to look at how much enjoyment I'll get out of it and how many hours I'll get out of it. The Order: 1886 is just another shooter to me gameplay wise, so enjoyment level will be merely average. The graphics are the best I've seen in any game...ever to be fair, and I'll praise them for that. Still, if the game is only going to last me 6 to 10 hours, I can't justify $60 for that. Not when I know I'll be able to buy it for $20 or less in 6 months. Or perhaps even get it on Playstation Plus down the line.

Top Bottom