• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

Nictel

I see many here already played the game. How else can you judge that the high scores are right and the low scores wrong?

Wait, so have "full-fledged" Wii U games always been $40? I thought Nintendo had joined the $60 bandwagon along with everyone else.

Chindogg

I'm sorry but listening to this review complain about it's difficulty just reminded me of this:

3b4.png

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I almost let some of these reviews get to me then I realized, garmez jurnalizm shouldn't affect me.

I loved Canvas Curse so bring this baby on, day 1!

Kacho

Wait, so have "full-fledged" Wii U games always been $40? I thought Nintendo had joined the $60 along with everyone else.

Nope. Just Captain Toad and this AFAIK. I feel like these two games are on the Wii U as a way to justify the gamepad.

Wait, so have "full-fledged" Wii U games always been $40? I thought Nintendo had joined the $60 along with everyone else.

They've done a couple of "budget" releases now, if you include this with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and, later this year, Yoshi's Woolly World.

EDIT: You know, I could be wrong about Yoshi's Woolly World. I'm suddenly drawing a blank on references stating that would be another $40 title.

I see many here already played the game. How else can you judge that the high scores are right and the low scores wrong?
That is what bugs me. The game comes out Friday.
We have no right to say it is good or bad.

I will judge when I play it. I honestly liked Captain Toad, but it was way short.
GiantBomb may be right. I agree with Jim giving Mario Kart 7 a 5/10.

Yeah, I second this. I 100%'d it yesterday (sans time trials) and it took me 17 hours to do so. There's still more to do if I so choose.
I didn't like the game enough to bother 100% it. I was happy getting all stars and beating most of it. Think it was around 8 hours.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
They've done a couple of "budget" releases now, if you include this with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and, later this year, Yoshi's Woolly World.

Confirmation on Woolly World also being $40? Amazing news if so.

Nanashrew

Banned

They have joined the $60 price tier, but mostly for their big games. Some games still have gone for $50 or mid-tier games like Rainbow Curse, $40.

Confirmation on Woolly World also being $40? Amazing news if so.

No, it hasn't been confirmed or even hinted at. Not sure where he got his info.

That being said, I could see Wooly World being priced at $50, like Tropical Freeze. But that's purely speculation on my part.

I'm gonna guess that Yoshi will be 50$ much like Tropical Freeze, a game I would have gladly paid 60$ for. I'm glad that Ninty isn't fixated on the 60$ price tag.

TI82

Banned
$20-$30 seems to be the sweet spot for budget games.
Nowadays you can get most new AAA games for $40.
People don't like to admit it, but paying $60 for a game was so last gen.

Yep, I rarely if ever pay $60 for a game. I think Persona 5 will be the only one I willingly pay that much for. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 I preordered for $40. So to call their titles "budget titles" and charge $40 is an insult. Should be $20 eshop only, 3 months later a retail release for $30.

Ninjimbo

I can't believe Kirby got knocked down because it's not an iPad game. Did he really have to include that in the review? I bet it reads just fine without that little blurb.

Glass Joe

GiantBomb said:
As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment.

The criticism here is a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? Kirby is a $40 title, not a "full-fledged" $60 game. But I suppose they just meant that $40 is too much for it.

I played a bit of this at Nintendo World today. It really struck me as a straight up iOS game. I hated that I couldn't look away from the low res screen. I hadn't been following his game but I'm glad I decided to give it a go before actually buying it blind.

I'm not saying it's not worth the money I just don't care for the "mobile" control scheme.

CHC

Hmmm, don't know if this is for me. I love colorful games and it LOOKS good, but I hate, really sincerely, use of touch screen and gyro in games. Hated them in Tearaway, hated them in SM3DW, hated them in Captain Toad, and I'm sure I'll hate them in this.

Probably not for me but I'll wait for GAF impressions.

mhanna49

Neo Member
I can't believe Kirby got knocked down because it's not an iPad game. Did he really have to include that in the review? I bet it reads just fine without that little blurb.

The last paragraph from Dan Ryckert's review
Playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was a tedious experience from beginning to end, and it lacks the "time and place" factor of Canvas Curse. If Nintendo was more open to bringing its properties to mobile and tablets, I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment.

He isn't knocking it specifically because he thinks it should an iOS game.

Nope. Just Captain Toad and this AFAIK. I feel like these two games are on the Wii U as a way to justify the gamepad.
I feel that something like Game & Wario justifies the Gamepad more than Captain Toad. In Captain Toad, only the mine cart levels made me think the Gamepad was necessary. Even then, nothing that couldn't be handled with a second analog stick or with the Wiimote.

I'm glad that Ninty isn't fixated on the 60$ price tag.

Yup, me too. Tropical Freeze and Wind Waker HD at $50 is great. Kirby and Toad at $40 is awesome. But probably the one that takes the cake is Bayo 2 @ $60. Two games worth of great content, for the price of one? Yea.

Corgi

Banned
idk, this might be the only game ever that is a valid argument that it isn't on tablets. It really is pretty much a tablet game :p

Man only if nintendo sold a premium gamepad with at least 720p screen...

Yep, I rarely if ever pay $60 for a game. I think Persona 5 will be the only one I willingly pay that much for. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 I preordered for $40. So to call their titles "budget titles" and charge $40 is an insult. Should be $20 eshop only, 3 months later a retail release for $30.
Well to be fair, you had to snag those games at discounts or price matches. Kingdom Hearts III is a $60 title, and the vast majority of people who buy it will pay $60. Given a price fixed at $60 vs $40, the $40 is technically a budget title.

TI82

Banned
idk, this might be the only game ever that is a valid argument that it isn't on tablets. It really is pretty much a tablet game :p

Just wait for the Wii U emulator, then you can play their games with actual good graphics.

Hmmm, don't know if this is for me. I love colorful games and it LOOKS good, but I hate, really sincerely, use of touch screen and gyro in games. Hated them in Tearaway, hated them in SM3DW, hated them in Captain Toad, and I'm sure I'll hate them in this.

Probably not for me but I'll wait for GAF impressions.
I'd say it's definitely not for you haha.

Wait, so have "full-fledged" Wii U games always been $40? I thought Nintendo had joined the $60 bandwagon along with everyone else.

They did... for only their most major releases. I.E. Smash Bros. Wii-U, Mario games, non-remake Zelda, etc.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was $50... and a damn bargain at that price. Game & Wario was $40. New Super Luigi U was $30 though it was a $20 expansion pak prior. Captain Toad was also $40.

I anticipate Yoshi's Woolly World might be $40-$50, which would be nice. Then again Yoshi's New Island was a full-price 3DS game so I dunno with Nintendo anymore.

Exile20

Would rather my 60fps on such a small screen. I doubt it can both do 60fps and 720p.

That's cool, but I'm saying that $40 game was more enjoyable for me than some $60 games out there.
Oh I agree. Captain Toad beats the heck out of Evolve and AC: Unity.
The new Kirby game seems like a donut: sweet, short, and you wish you had more.
It is a shame my fears seem confirmed that you are stuck with the gamepad.

Giant Bomb's main complaint seems to be that it should have been a 3DS eShop title which I can see a bit.

Berordn

So? It still added a lot of fun variety.

I'm not disagreeing, just that by having levels devoted to transformation its not too dramatically different than Canvas Curse's powers. Though a number of CC's powers were pretty bland, especially Needle and Stone.

lt519

Sounds like half of the reviewers never played Canvas Curse. The ones that did seemed to like it, which is good enough for me. Short game will be offset by collectibles and getting 100% like in Captain Toad.

TheMoon

I'm not surprised by the review score disparity. I've completed the first couple of worlds, and can't say I'm anywhere close to being blown away outside of the visuals.

It's not for everyone.

hatchx

Banned
Fucking LOL at that Giant Bomb review. He bitches that it should be a cheap app instead of a "fully fledged $40 Wii U title", completely missing the point that it is meant to be a mid-tier budget release instead of an actually fully fledged $60 Wii U title. duncecap.jpg

It's the kind of mentality that is going to kill the mid-tier game. Does every game that's not a big AAA endeavour need to be a cheap app? Some people certainly think so.

TI82

Banned
It's the kind of mentality that is going to kill the mid-tier game. Does every game that's not a big AAA endeavour need to be a cheap app? Some people certainly think so.

They could actually price them as mid tier titles for one thing.
I never got around to playing it, so this series is new to me.
Seems like its more of the same, so you probably wouldn't like it either.

Wensih

The criticism here is a bit of a contradiction, isn't it? Kirby is a $40 title, not a "full-fledged" $60 game. But I suppose they just meant that $40 is too much for it.

I don't really understand your criticism with the sentence. Full-fledged doesn't equate to $60; it equates to being a completely developed idea. It's something that Dan thinks is apparently lacking in Rainbow Curse. They talked about it in the quick look. He said compared to Canvas Curse the game is lacking.

Top Bottom