• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle now available in EU

Loptous

I honestly like this better than Link Battle / Trozei thanks to having all the time you want to think about your moves.

And yes, the hint squares are dumb

Spades

And almost never give your best pick. I wouldn't mind if they appeared after 30 seconds or so, but now they distract me.

Exactly - they work pretty well in Candy Crush from the limited time I played that game because they only flash if you've been pondering a move for a long while.

So..no real point in hoarding gems or anything? Can't permanently upgrade the stamina? A little light on that front I guess, but maybe I should be thankful it's simple. I don't mind popping in every once in a while to play hunnipop turn based pokemon trozei.

Robin64

Another 500 coins for Check In today, so I guess there's no bonus for consecutive days.

Had a little go before work, the fact I only had 5 hearts was ideal. Quick blast, then ready for the day. Then I can have another blast at lunch, another when I get home, and another before bed. This is pretty good and I'm not spending a penny.

Can defeat Mew now, but still no luck catching him. Going to level a bit more and catch other Super Effective 'mon first. Got a while to catch him yet.

JoeM86

I fear I may have to put in more money if I wish to continue to cover this game. Need to get the final EX stages and work out how to get the other Mega Stones.

Seems EX stages open up when you get S Ranks...so...ouch.

I'm just glad I made the decision to cover this with the Japanese game. Makes it so much cheaper.

Spades

I fear I may have to put in more money if I wish to continue to cover this game. Need to get the final EX stages and work out how to get the other Mega Stones.

Seems EX stages open up when you get S Ranks...so...ouch.

I'm just glad I made the decision to cover this with the Japanese game. Makes it so much cheaper.

Where are you covering the game? I'd be interested to read/watch the feedback from someone who has played the game as extensively as you have.

JoeM86

Where are you covering the game? I'd be interested to read/watch the feedback from someone who has played the game as extensively as you have.

That'd be on my site :) I keep emotion and opinion out of it and just provide the cold hard facts.

TwiztidElf

I downloaded this yesterday and played it today.
I have mixed feelings.

I'm extremely saddened to see Nintendo reduce themselves to the dual-ingame-currency-backed-by-real-cash(dicbric) ios-style model.
But at the same time appreciate that they need to be in this space.

BooJoh

It took me 4 tries to catch Phanpy :( EX mode is hard, and then they try to goad you into blowing a crystal if you lose.

2 StreetPasses so far, only got a reward from the first, but I'm pretty sure when I first activated it, it said something about getting hearts and crystals if you get a lot of passes.

I was looking at the official site and they have info on some other upcoming events:

Meowth's Coin Mania
Play the Meowth's Coin Mania daily challenge stage from 6:00 AM UTC on Saturdays to 5:59 AM UTC on Mondays, from February 21 until March 16, 2015. In Meowth's Coin Mania stage, you can earn a great deal of Coins! There are Coins mixed in among the Pokémon on the lower screen, and you can obtain Coins for yourself by clearing them. You can challenge this stage just once per 24-hour period.

A Rotom a Day!
Challenge Rotom in the Daily Pokémon (#1) daily challenge, available between 06:00 UTC on Mondays and 05:59 UTC on Saturdays, from February 23 until March 21, 2015. In this stage, Frost Rotom, Heat Rotom, Wash Rotom, Mow Rotom, and Fan Rotom each appear on different days. If you are victorious in your battles against them, you will have a chance to catch these Pokémon. There is no limit to how many times you can attempt this stage.

-Monday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Frost Rotom
-Tuesday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Heat Rotom
-Wednesday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Wash Rotom
-Thursday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Mow Rotom
-Friday, starting at 06:00 UTC: Fan Rotom

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ooh, more events. Cool. I like the coin mechanic one as it's something different.
Yeah the games will keep getting updates and new events for a long time - there is no need rush, since it can't be finished anyway of they treat as a service like other f2p titles.

BooJoh

Yeah the games will keep getting updates and new events for a long time - there is no need rush, since it can't be finished anyway of they treat as a service like other f2p titles.

I hope they eventually add the rest of the Pokemon. I don't think any of the Porygon family made the cut :(

cw_sasuke

I hope they eventually add the rest of the Pokemon. I don't think any of the Porygon family made the cut :(
They will add Pokémon sooner or later... As well as new addition to the series, no need to worry about that. Same goes for Special Versions of already avaliable Pokémon.

Kouriozan

Hey... I actually enjoy this game, and the events sounds nice.
Of course I don't see myself putting any money in it, slowly approaching stages 30 (26 atm) while keeping all my jewels.

ryushe

What I don't get is why couldn't we use our play coins as currency?

Not that it matters to me anyway. I like the game well enough, but will never spend to play more of it.

cw_sasuke

Hey... I actually enjoy this game, and the events sounds nice.
Of course I don't see myself putting any money in it, slowly approaching stages 30 (26 atm) while keeping all my jewels.
Yeah, that's how you are supposed to play these games.

Chopper

It appears to me as though gems would be better spent on coins than hearts. I am genuinely enjoying this game at the moment.

What I don't get is why couldn't we use our play coins as currency?
I'd love a $2 version that does just that but I think the ship has whaled...I mean sailed on that one.

I'm fascinated what the average spend will be (I'll never find out) and if just selling a version like that would have lead to be a better average spend* (the Mii plaza games are a good example of something that did well despite have fairly limited opportunities to play in needing play coins or streetpasses).

*-If it is like 90% of players spent $0 and the remaining 10% spent $20. There a $2 one selling 1/10 as many would be the same money outcome. From what I remember Dream Radar is one of the most popular eShop games. But maybe it is about hearts and mind rather than money which begs the question, why have the whaling then?

It appears to me as though gems would be better spent on coins than hearts. I am genuinely enjoying this game at the moment.
Since the free hearts from regen stop at 5 (I assume that is how it works, maybe it is smart and spends the regeneration ones first) I can see the logic there. In any case a balance between saving gems for bigger rewards and getting items when you need them needs to be reached.

oti

Banned
This game makes me wanna have my 3DS with me all the time to streetpass.
Another reason to go with the regular N3DS.

You got me Nintendo, you got me.

JoeM86

At the point where the levels I have to S Rank are all higher ups so it's getting complicated and likely expensive

Hegarol

At the point where the levels I have to S Rank are all higher ups so it's getting complicated and likely expensive
Its not a main pokemon game. I don't think anyone will be mad if it takes a bit more time with this game to cover everything. Take your time and don't sell your soul!

ryushe

Because that would defeat the purpose of Nintendo releasing a F2P game with IAP.
I doubt the people who would pay-to-play are the same who'd care to use or even know what play coins are. And even then, make the hearts cost a significant amount of play coins. Like 10 or so coins a heart or something like that.

Don't mind me though, I just want a reason to use my play coins. :(

cw_sasuke

Its not a main pokemon game. I don't think anyone will be mad if it takes a bit more time with this game to cover everything. Take your time and don't sell your soul!

Yeah the point is to level up the optimal units over a longer period and being able to take on more difficult stages - not to try to pay your way through the content, it gets very expensive that way xD

llehuty

2 StreetPasses so far, only got a reward from the first, but I'm pretty sure when I first activated it, it said something about getting hearts and crystals if you get a lot of passes.

Yeah, I just got one message after one round that said you could get hearts and crystals with streetpass.

ryushe

Wait, I just noticed, this is on the Japanese eShop, correct? If so this would be a great game for my import n3DS.

JoeM86

Yeah I realise I'm probably the only person in the world crazy enough to be this far into the game. But still, these things need to be done. No other site covers the spin-offs really, so need to do it

Edit: Think I have just two more Expert stages to unlock, then to somehow defeat. This will be a pain

Hegarol

But still, these things need to be done. No other site covers the spin-offs really, so need to do it
I know and we love you for that ;) But it doesn't matter if its done in a few days from now. I just don't think its worth it to throw more money at the game this week, but of course in the end its your call.

JoeM86

Ok, so I have officially run out of all of the money I put into the game on Tuesday night.

Let's look at what the money has got me

I spent 4800 Yen on 75 gems. That allowed me to buy 6 packs:

I bought 2 coin packs of 48000 to get me 96000 coins.
I bought 4 heart packs of 80 each getting me 320 hearts

I have done through all stages from 1 - 150 at least once.

I have S Ranked enough levels to get Expert stages 1 through 18 and have given a few of them a try.
Today I have spent 80 hearts attempting to S Rank more stages and capture more Pokémon, many requiring multiple attempts.

Overall I have:

Playtime: 14:42
Stages Cleared: 154 (got 14 Expert Stages still to do. They are hard)
Pokémon Caught: 103/159

Going to take a break then put some more money in an rinse through the expert stages, for the greater good.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played a bit of the game yesterday and I get the feeling that the game is more interested in getting my money than, giving me a good time playing it.

Shame really as I was enjoying it but I don't like the idea of my playtime being restricted unless I pop some money into the game.

Spades

So I played a bit of the game yesterday and I get the feeling that the game is more interested in getting my money than, giving me a good time playing it.

Unless you intend on playing this game for hours at a time, I don't really see how you can feel this way personally.

Spades

Ok, so I have officially run out of all of the money I put into the game on Tuesday night.

Let's look at what the money has got me

I spent 4800 Yen on 75 gems. That allowed me to buy 6 packs:

I bought 2 coin packs of 48000 to get me 96000 coins.
I bought 4 heart packs of 80 each getting me 320 hearts

I have done through all stages from 1 - 150 at least once.

I have S Ranked enough levels to get Expert stages 1 through 18 and have given a few of them a try.
Today I have spent 80 hearts attempting to S Rank more stages and capture more Pokémon, many requiring multiple attempts.

Overall I have:

Playtime: 14:42
Stages Cleared: 154 (got 14 Expert Stages still to do. They are hard)
Pokémon Caught: 103/159

Going to take a break then put some more money in an rinse through the expert stages, for the greater good.

When you break it down like this, it's not actually bad value for money really.

llehuty

I don't think there are going to evolve. There is zero hint about that in the game and also there are the same number of stages as pokemon, including evolved forms and mega forms.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really enjoy this game.

Sure the F2P trappings suck, but I'm not sure if I would have bought if it was pay. The idea plays out so well despite the match 3 aspects.

Top Bottom