• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To me it's like they created a foundation they had for the game (material-based destruction in a hectic third person cinematic action game that could rival their mentors at Naughty Dog) and as development went along and got closer and closer to a realistic release date, they had to keep ticking off gameplay features as they continued to polish off their astonishing visual engine. They were like engine perfectionists. They really had something to prove, and that was that they sure as hell could compete with the best of Naughty Dog at making gorgeous console games. :p

Then the release date loomed and they were like 'oops so I guess the actual gameplay is basically like The Psi-Ops of the PS4'
There's probably a lot of truth to what you say here. Going in with something to prove so you focus on the area you aren't known for, neglecting and taking for granted the things you typically do well.

There's also probably something to say about having a director that can't properly reign in a creative director.

Amir0x

Banned
It's not weird at all, it's people justifying their purchase vs. people whose job it is to critique. There's quite often a disparity in such opinions.

viveks86

I am a big fan of movie criticism, so maybe in order to be a fan of such beautifully ugly products you have to enjoy analyzing products at a really deep level. It's fun to really peer under the hood and try to understand what directors were going for.

I couldn't get into Speed Racer as acid-trip bloated as that film was, so Cloud Atlas made up for the lack of Wachowski Siblings in my life. ;P

Yo Ami! Have you played the game yet? Are you planning to? Or are you waiting for my review? :p

It's not weird at all, it's people justifying their purchase vs. people whose job it is to critique. There's quite often a disparity in such opinions.

Damn, so you aren't going to bother with my obvious 10/10 review? :'(

benzy

I find it really odd that The Order is... essentially a technical marvel. Even if it drops the ball on everything else, scores in the range of 20% are just really, really odd.

The gameplay has to be complete shit for it to even be 20% imo, which I guess I'll find out soon when it unlocks. Digitaltrend seemed to be hating on the whole game pretty hard.

If it's not fun... It's not fun.

I dunno. I'll find out when I play it, but that's not what I fundamentally want from reviews.

That's true. A film could have great cinematography, but if the story and acting is crap, the great cinematography can be lost in the ensuing despair

I really feel people saw/see this game as the unholy union of a David Cage game with GoW or Uncharted. Instead of being what many wanted it to be, it was focused on something that not everyone would appreciate. Still could be a terrible experience in of itself, but I guess most of us will find out tomorrow.

Also a good point. Nevertheless, I love story-heavy cinematic shooters, so I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow how they made out.

To me it's like they created a foundation they had for the game (material-based destruction in a hectic third person cinematic action game that could rival their mentors at Naughty Dog) and as development went along and got closer and closer to a realistic release date, they had to keep ticking off gameplay features as they continued to polish off their astonishing visual engine. They were like engine perfectionists. They really had something to prove, and that was that they sure as hell could compete with the best of Naughty Dog at making gorgeous console games. :p

Then the release date loomed and they were like 'oops so I guess the actual gameplay is basically like The Psi-Ops of the PS4'

I really agree with this. It kinda feels like they overpromised and got so lost perfecting certain aspects, they let everything else fall by the wayside.

I really hope if they get a second chance that we get to see some of the earlier stuff promised (crazy destruction, branching melee, stuff like that).

Holy shit Giant Bomb did it again? They always did give me a bad vibe.

Please, with any site, any game, any review, please read the review or watch it and listen to their opinions and don't just outright dismiss the site as a whole or dismiss it because it doesn't agree with your hype and your possibly non-refundable digital pre-order.

Jeff made very reasonable points about why he didn't enjoy the game much that would give any reasonable person pause when considering a purchase.

I'm really on the fence with this one, I can see enjoying some dumb fun with pretty graphics just like I did with Ryse but I also got that game for $20 on PC, not $60.

very weird indeed.

The difference between someone who was paid to offer their opinion and evaluate the game vs someone who paid for the game and whose value in spending that money/time is directly tied to the quality/fun of the experience.

Personally i'd trust the reviewer - especially one that has shown to give honest and reasonable opinions in the past.

Especially one like Jeff Gerstmann who lost his job over giving a game a low score.

nib95

Banned
The more people that come in here and share impressions the more that I see a disconnect between the players experience and the reviews. Pretty weird actually.

I get the feeling that will be a common occurrence with this game going forward. Don't get me wrong, not everyone will like it, but I feel like most people in to this genre and type of game, who don't mind linearity, will. Same thing happened with DriveClub too.

Simo

So fucking excited to fire this up tomorrow night! To top it off I get to experience it on a 70" screen over at a family member's place and I'll be cranking up the Sonos bar! Hype!

BTW did that free premium theme end up being activated yet from the website? Hows it look?

QaaQer

I am a big fan of movie criticism, so maybe in order to be a fan of such beautifully ugly products you have to enjoy analyzing products at a really deep level. It's fun to really peer under the hood and try to understand what directors were going for.

I couldn't get into Speed Racer as acid-trip bloated as that film was, so Cloud Atlas made up for the lack of Wachowski Siblings in my life. ;P Of course they had other directors helping too, so this film was just like an assault of differing styles and approaches.

Speed racer in IMax was a visual tour de force.

bryanee

Just got done with a solid hour and a half of the game and my first impressions are very positive. The game oozes atmosphere, art direction is outstanding, the visuals as a whole are probably the best I've even seen on any format. Twice during my first time playing it now I've waited for a cutscene to end when it already has. These visuals are unreal, the indoors especially are beautiful.

The gunplay is responsive, has a nice feel to it with the right amount of recoil. The cover system is snappy and does the job just fine, maybe some slight issues going around corners when you have to hold a button in. The QTE's that I experienced during the opening 15 or so minutes were handled well enough. AI might become an issue, hard to tell so early in the game but they seem slow to get into cover. Level layout for the gun battles I had were done quite well with a decent amount of room to move around and flank.

The story hasn't really gotten started but it seems like it might be interesting. I had no idea it was connected to the
Arthurian Legend
. The character have the most glorious facial hair and the are all well acted. A lot of effort has gone into the presentation of the game.

Soooooo, so far so good but I'm not far into it and well it could go well and truly tits up.

Seventy70

The more people that come in here and share impressions the more that I see a disconnect between the players experience and the reviews. Pretty weird actually.

Maybe because the people who are actually invested in the game and want to like it are the only ones that will seek it out before release? You'll see more and more impressions matching reviews after release.

QaaQer

The difference between someone who was paid to offer their opinion and evaluate the game vs someone who paid for the game and whose value in spending that money/time is directly tied to the quality/fun of the experience.

Personally i'd trust the reviewer - especially one that has shown to give honest and reasonable opinions in the past.

Especially one like Jeff Gerstmann who lost his job over giving a game a low score.

Depends on the person. Most of my favorite games score low to middling. And I hated gtav which is what 97? With no score lower than a 9? so yeah YMMV on using metaC for game advice.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
He doesn't. At least that's how his statement comes across. I'm hurting on the inside already.
Welp, I trust consumers more than game journalists. Sessler was the only one that articulated himself in a way that I thought befit an actual critic and he's out of the game. Most of the ones left I disagree with more often than not, which is frustrating. I've even read glowing reviews for games I loved that I couldn't agree with the text of.

viveks86

Dang, he got banned??? FOR WHAT?!?

For getting carried away

Viveks has a PSX Saga? I've got to read this........

Indeed. It's probably the longest "article" on PSX you will find on the internet! lol

Welp, I trust consumers more than game journalists. Sessler was the only one that articulated himself in a way that I thought befit an actual critic and he's out of the game. Most of the ones left I disagree with more often than not, which is frustrating. I've even read glowing reviews for games I loved that I couldn't agree with the text of.

Driveclub was the last straw for me. I'd never be able to use reviews to guide my purchase decisions again. Having said that, are they wrong about The Order? I don't know. We'll see.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe because the people who are actually invested in the game and want to like it are the only ones that will seek it out before release? You'll see more and more impressions matching reviews after release.

Doubt that's going to happen after the reviews.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah, all of those reviews brought my hype down a bit. Still curious what the gameplay and whole experience feels like though.

My hype is still strong. I loved Beyond Two Souls and it got around the same scores as this. If I'd paid attention to reviews, I'd have missed that gem.

I'm a big fan of cinematic games and I'm sure this will be no different :D

I always go out of my way to look for things I like in games. They are one of the few things bring me joy and excitement so I'm never to quick to point out any flaws unless they are game breaking. Never trust my reviews.

Actually if I don't like a game you can almost be sure its shit.

Nah, there's nothing weird about it. Day one purchasers giving glowing or positive impressions is basic human psychology.

boeso

Definitely the best looking character models in a game so far.

KadLH0a.gif

*Captured video on PS4 and made GIF

I mean...look at it!

Hazanko

Banned

Yeah, I never trust early reviews. Usually it's by people hyped for the game and have an emotional investment to it being good. They even went as far as to get it before official release. I usually wait until the dust settles before taking player impressions seriously.

Depends on the person. Most of my favorite games score low to middling. And I hated gtav which is what 97? With no score lower than a 9? so yeah YMMV on using metaC for game advice.

Did I mention metacritic?

I mentioned finding reviewers that you can trust and maybe even sync up with your opinions sometimes.

GTA5 is such a big, blockbuster, mainstream title that of course some people won't like it, but to say it shouldn't be rated highly is foolish. The game is clearly very high quality and well made, and no argument can be made that people rated it highly for any reason but for that they simply enjoyed it a ton.

Yeah, I never trust early reviews. Usually it's by people hyped for the game and have an emotional investment to it being good. They even went as far as to get it before official release. I usually wait until the dust settles before taking player impressions seriously.

Yep and it goes both ways - i remember that impressions on a game like GTA4 were very positive by players and critics, while players and critics both soured on the game a year or more after release.

The opposite happened with ryse where it was panned at launch as a very shallow simple game but now most people will look back on it as a fun little launch game without much depth but good basic design.

Opiate

That's true. A film could have great cinematography, but if the story and acting is crap, the great cinematography can be lost in the ensuing despair

I think "great graphics" are closer to having great special effects, and that cinematography is more comparable to a game's UI; both are functional elements of the central purpose of the medium. Cinematography serves to further a film's story and themes; UI furthers the game's mechanics.

In other words, a game with amazing graphics is closer to a summer blockbuster with amazing special effects than it is an art house film with nuanced, meaningful cinematography Not that a single game (or movie) can't have both, just that I think the comparison is more directly analogous.

Between 00:30 - 00:45 from the Game Informer coverage of the Order in Oct 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTdZNsK2SOQ

"if the player doesn't feel engaged and not feeling curious to know what's going to happen next in the game, then we have failed"

To those who completed/played the order, did you guys feel engaged and curious to know what was going to happen next?

Of all the PS4 exclusives from a graphics showcase plus gameplay perspective(Infamous: Second Son, Driveclub, Killzone Shadowfall), Shadowfall was the only boring/dull/confusing/soul-less voice acting game I've played.

I don't think it's fair to say that. If the game was universally praised and the player enjoyed what they played, it wouldn't be questioned. However if the game received mixed reception and/or was mostly panned by critics, they must be 'justifying their purchase', because everyone knows it must be human nature to automatically love something they naturally wouldn't if they didn't spend $60 on it?

Sorry this isn't a dig at you personally Ami, I just despise that word usage. I don't need to justify my purchase of anything, if I like it, I like it.

The gameplay has to be complete shit for it to even be 20% imo, which I guess I'll find out soon when it unlocks. Digitaltrend seemed to be hating on the whole game pretty hard.
What's funnier is that same reviewer gave Ryse a 70%.

GravyButt

I don't trust reviews at all anymore. Every game is compared to game x or game y in some way or another. I get it. Why don't you review what's actually there and not what you wish/hoped should have been.

Honestly though I trust consumer reviews over journalists reviews all day long. It's usually more brutally honest.

If a game looks interesting and grabs my attention im going to get it. Some great games (or at least for me)last gen came out that got crap reviews.

Can't wait to play after physical therapy tomorrow. Very excited.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think the implication was perhaps that reviewers are at times selective in their critique. The same as purchasers are selective when reviewing their purchases.

Nail on the head.

The comments about people justifying their purchase are just about as insulting as the medias handling of this games reviews. I have bought many a game that have been considered duds.

Some I enjoyed (Castlevania Lords of shadow2,Ryse) others I have not ,(Titan fall, Killzone Shadowfall) just to name a few of the more recent ones, a dud is a dud.

When review outlets hand out 2's and 4's I expect the game to monumentally horrid. I mean epic levels of bad level design, horrible controls, sounds and absolutely no fun to be found. Maybe even my character falling through the ground when I first walk out into Paris flailing his arms wildly forcing me to restart the entire game. (This actually happened) The Order does not fall into any of these categories.

No conspiracy theories but a lot of this seems very precisely targeted, malicious and disingenuous.

nib95

Banned
Driveclub was the last straw for me. I'd never be able to use reviews to guide my purchase decisions again. Having said that, are the wrong about The Order? I don't know. We'll see.

DriveClub was it for me as well lol. So many of those reviews are still baffling to me, even today. Not to mention some of the bigger ones contain factual errors and incorrect information. But I digress. If I like the look of something I'll buy it, otherwise friends, relatives and GAF impressions are my go to. Gaming site reviews only as a tertiary or glancing consideration.

leng jai

This sounds like a solid third person shooter with gorgeous graphics/audio, little filler and a tight campaign. It probably doesn't do anything magnificently aside from graphics, but it still sounds like it's worth a play through.

BokehKing

Banned
Honestly, as long as we don't get drive bye shit posts in here from people saying

'you only THINK you like it because you just spent $60 on it"

Then I won't care what professional game reviewers think.

(dealt with that enough when destiny dropped)

23qwerty

Please, with any site, any game, any review, please read the review or watch it and listen to their opinions and don't just outright dismiss the site as a whole or dismiss it because it doesn't agree with your hype and your possibly non-refundable digital pre-order.

Jeff made very reasonable points about why he didn't enjoy the game much that would give any reasonable person pause when considering a purchase.

I'm really on the fence with this one, I can see enjoying some dumb fun with pretty graphics just like I did with Ryse but I also got that game for $20 on PC, not $60.

I haven't paid attention to reviews in years, there's certainly no reason to now, especially after what they said about Driveclub lmao

I think "great graphics" are closer to having great special effects, and that cinematography is more comparable to a game's UI; both are functional elements of the central purpose of the medium. Cinematography serves to further a film's story and themes; UI furthers the game's mechanics.

In other words, a game with amazing graphics is closer to a summer blockbuster with amazing special effects than it is an art house film with nuanced, meaningful cinematography Not that a single game (or movie) can't have both, just that I think the comparison is more directly analogous.

That's probably a better way to put it, yeah

Top Bottom