• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at The Last of Us: Examining its Defining Motif; or Much Ado About [Spoilers]

The only other instance of a motif in games I can think of is not an explicitly visual one - the cyborg ninja in Metal Gear. Raiden and Gray Fox have parallel storylines that encapsulate the entirety of what the story is about - child soldiers, the changing nature of war, and the dangers of weapon accelerationism. It's not as subtle as this and works very differently but it's the only other one I'm familiar with.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Stretch or not, this is what good art does: leading to interesting interpretations and debate.

Agreed. I don't think TLOU is high art, but it does have a lot of conflict going on, and the writing/acting does a damn good job of showing characters struggling with it and progressing from their experience. One of the few games that actually gets it right.

The only other instance of a motif in games I can think of is not an explicitly visual one - the cyborg ninja in Metal Gear. Raiden and Gray Fox have parallel storylines that encapsulate the entirety of what the story is about - child soldiers, the changing nature of war, and the dangers of weapon accelerationism. It's not as subtle as this and works very differently but it's the only other one I'm familiar with.

I think this is a pretty good suggestion, and maybe one of the closest we're going to find of a true literary motif in games before The Last of Us. Motifs aren't always used to establish the theme or the mood, they can also be used to establish setting. Carol Reed's Odd Man Out uses St. Albert's Clock in Belfast to establish setting and the passage of time. The clock rings regularly throughout the movie, indicating that another hour has passed, and its prevalence in the cinematography lets us know the movie takes place in a very small area of the Irish city.

This is to say that motifs can also be used to establish setting or commonality between storylines. They are a versatile tool.

OP love the idea, I just think it's a stretch.

Stretch or not, this is what good art does: leading to interesting interpretations and debate.

Magic Mushroom gets it. Although, to be fair, so do you msdstc. Art analysis is a practice - it has a structure and a method and it's rarely applied to video games. This is because not a lot of video games lend themselves to that kind of reading. Only recently has that really started to change. I am interested to hear what you think the giraffes might symbolize if you disagree with what I've put forward, msdstc. But before you propose they're just part of the scenery, I want to put forth this quote from the 25 Years of Pixar exhibit:

"Computer animation is both an extraordinarily liberating and extraordinarily challenging medium. While it contains no limits except those that you choose for yourself, it also contains nothing, down to the smallest detail, that you do not create yourself. You get nothing for free."

There are no accidental props in video games. Everything is made deliberately. It is designed to look a certain way, consciously put in a certain place, and does not simply appear there by some set designer with a warehouse of props. When a graphic artist creates an asset, it can be reused many times and definitely is. For example, all the bulletin boards in The Last of Us have the same fliers on them.

But given the emotional peak of the scene with the live giraffes, and the fact that every giraffe motif takes place in a location explicitly tied to children and loss, do you believe there was no intentional design decision in their placement?

It's fine if you do, I'm really just challenging the dialog because this is valuable discussion. Please don't take this as confrontational, it's all in the interest of discourse.

I'm covered in spots after reading this.

Please call a doctor.

Kvik

Another Finale thread, another great read! :)

I always thought that the loss of innocence is a theme which needs to be explored more in games. My first thought when I finished my first play-through was that Joel was never going to forgive himself for losing his daughter, and the only way for him to survive was to "shed his innocence", sort of speak (Him commenting "I've been on both sides", and "Take it however you want" when asked by Ellie whether he has killed innocent people before). I always thought this was masterfully done.

Finale, do you also play RPG? I would love to hear your thoughts about Planescape: Torment, or the plight of Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout, for example.

Great post OP, now I have to play TLoU again..

I waited a year to play it a second time - the span from the first release to the Remastered edition. Now I'm on my third playthrough which I'm taking very slowly on Grounded+. I might wait another year to ever play it again though. As great as it is, I play it at a high level of mental intensity. So it can be exhausting when I won't skip a cutscene and spend ten minutes in every room looking for giraffes.

But it's excellent to replay if you have a question in your head when going through. Like, who is the worst of these people? When does Ellie start to change to be more like Joel, and when does Joel start to change to become more like Ellie? What mini stories are told in the scenery? There is a bedroom in the suburbs that was clearly a young girl's and it's covered in things that she liked, like dancers. There is a loft bedroom that belonged to some teenage or early twenties kind of guy, with the book of matches and the arrow on his computer desk. The Generation Y grunge kid still lingers in that loft. Accompanied with Henry's description of neighborhood barbecues, the neighborhood starts to come together. You can almost feel the people there.

dankir

Great post OP. I don't think I noticed any giraffes until the famous scene. Going to start my 2nd run via the Remaster edition now. Will be on the lookout!

in any case here's my contribution:

giraffe.gif

Great thread. I agree with the motif, though I hadn't noticed it in this detail before.

All in all, a fantastic game. Probably in my top 3 games I have ever played. Never before have I been simultaneously overjoyed and filled with a sense of self loathing during an end sequence of a game.

You know, it's like every month or so something happens that reinforces The Last of Us as my favorite game of all time.

I've beaten the game 7 times since I bought it on launch day, on a complete hunch, without reading any reviews, almost an impulse purchase. I'm glad I did and I'll probably do an Easy "Rambo" playthrough to get any collectibles I've missed and as a self-reward for getting that Grounded+ trophy.

WinFonda

I don't believe the giraffes are omens or warnings of things to come, but I do believe the giraffes symbolize child-like innocence within the game. In TLOU, a moment of innocence is so special you can't help but observe it when it crosses your path, it comes and goes, loitering around like that pack of giraffes in a dying world. The giraffes, like the innocent children that occupy the story, defy the world in which they live. You wouldn't expect to find giraffes in this world, nor would you expect to find innocence, but you do.

Perhaps more saliently, I believe the giraffes also symbolize the will to live and survive. They are not unlike Ellie and other children in TLOU in that they are victims of circumstance, but not of despair: they carry on and live their lives to the best of their ability. The giraffes are almost like mythical creatures, because they can both survive and retain their innocence. In The Last of Us, you either die innocent as a child (as Sarah, Riley, and Sam did)... or you survive.

Over the course of the game, there are several bits of dialog in the game that allude to the fact that Ellie doesn't view the current world as shitty as Joel, doesn't see the same luster in the old world, and isn't as sympathetic towards people who committed suicide since the collapse. That's pre-Winter, of course. Come spring, Ellie has a shift in tone. She shares with a Joel a dream in which she is helpless aboard a crashing airplane, she's less steely and more vulnerable than the Ellie before, and in the final cutscene admits to Joel she's been waiting for "her turn" to die, and was willing to die for the Firefly cause of finding a cure. Ellie isn't buoyed by her youthful innocence anymore, so Joel pleads with her to find a reason to keep fighting to survive.

I believe the spring giraffes affirm both Ellie's loss of innocence and loss of will. She has one last moment with them before she says goodbye, while Joel, as you pointed out, clings onto them.

Great topic btw.

First and only warning for spoilers: Any effort to examine the depth of a text necessitates consideration of its entirety. No spoilers will be tagged after this brief introduction.

For those who have completed The Last of Us, this thread is about
giraffes.

"In narrative, a motif is any recurring element that has symbolic significance in a story. Through its repetition, a motif can help produce other narrative (or literary) aspects such as theme or mood." --Borrowed, for ease, from Wikipedia

This thread serves two purposes. The first is to catalog where and how
giraffes
appear throughout The Last of Us. The second is to open a dialog about what they might mean or represent in the context of the story. In my playthroughs I have found about a dozen separate instances of this motif, but it is possible there are more. I encourage anybody who finds more examples to contribute them to this thread.
----------

The Last of Us is a story mainly about humanity. Throughout the game we see how people have their humanity tested and are asked as players to interpret at what threshold characters have left what makes them human behind. If there is an endpoint - a point where people can lose their humanity and become something else - then there must also be a standard from which to fall. There is, then, a point of innocence.

Innocence is not an easy trait to describe and its use can mean different things in different categories or discussion, be they religious or sexual or something else, but my own definition of innocence is to be resistant to external factors that would otherwise impact you adversely. When a person reaches the point where they can no longer resist being changed by external factors that test them, their innocence is lost.

The character arcs of Joel and Ellie intersect this way, with Joel regaining his innocence (albeit temporarily) and Ellie losing hers. Both arcs intersect at the emotional nexus of the game, and arguably its most memorable moment, when our two characters overlook a herd of giraffes.

It is my own interpretation that giraffes serve two major purposes in The Last of Us.
1. They represent innocence.
2. They foreshadow loss.

Below I will cite the examples of the motif I have found and briefly explain how they accomplish that.

CKgiIg.jpg

Our first giraffe appears immediately upon the player first gaining control of the game. In the corner of Sarah's bedroom sits a stuffed giraffe, the exact model of which will appear many times again. The innocence and imminent loss represented here is self explanatory as the remainder of the prologue unfolds. Joel, unlike Sarah, is not a child unspoiled at the beginning of the game. We see him having to gun down his neighbors to protect his daughter and we see him encouraging Tommy not to stop for a family beside the road. But what Joel loses after the prologue is hope, hope in other people and hope in things ever turning out okay. When Joel loses Sarah he also loses his innocence.

urnU3j.jpg

In the slums beyond the Boston QZ, we see a filthy young girl clutching her equally filthy giraffe. This young girl, like Sarah, is also blonde and wearing white - a color associated symbolically with (of course) innocence. They both also share our symbolic giraffe. While Sarah herself was innocence embodied before the infection, this girl is innocence embodied afterward. It is soiled, it is tested constantly, and holding on to that innocence can be a sad and pathetic thing to witness. Like Newt in Aliens, we see the resolve of a child as she clings to remain undestroyed by the world she lives in. The slums outside the QZ are also an area where Tess is well known and holds a lot of respect and influence. This giraffe forewarns the imminent loss of Tess.

ijBpsg.jpg

lmUh48.jpg

The next giraffes does not occur for sometime, well after Joel and Ellie have met Bill and are making their way through the infected area of Lincoln, Massachusetts. The first is at a clearly failed evacuation point outside Lincoln High School, which is a half-step to the big emotional reveal of this chapter.

As you go deeper and deeper into the area of Lincoln where Bill "never goes", you reach a doggy door that only Ellie can fit through. This portal, accessible only by a child, leads into a house with a small child's bedroom. On the book case there is a small photo of two giraffes. Shortly thereafter Joel, Ellie and Bill are chased by infected into a house where they find Frank and his seething suicide note. The journey into the infected area of Lincoln represents Bill leaving his comfort zone - an area where he knows and controls everything around him and remains cushioned by his xenophobia. Finding Frank validates Bill's biggest fears. But it's finding Frank's harshly worded note that breaks Bill. His figurative defenses are penetrated, his emotional walls come down, and we see Bill try his hardest not to cry. Unable to wall himself off from the external any longer, Bill loses his heavily-guarded innocence. (In fact, all of the barricaded Lincoln is a metaphor for how Bill barricades himself from emotions that could hurt him. Leaving his fortress is opening himself up to that pain. He is a literally and emotionally a guarded character.) The giraffes, of course, also represent the loss of Frank.

49GnGP.jpg

Pittsburgh is a long chapter, but when Joel and Ellie meet Henry and Sam the giraffes appear immediately. Pittsburgh as a chapter illustrates how two surviving children, Sam and Ellie, cope with the world around them. We learn what their lives are like, what they're afraid of, and how badly they wish for normalcy. The first giraffe is placed, as you might expect, in the room where they first meet.

yimjgy.jpg

gCvUq3.jpg

Very soon after - separated by only a flight of stairs - the player comes to a toy store, a location with ties to children that need not be explained. Here we find the most amount of non-living giraffes ever depicted in one place. But there are two in particular that stand out:

BLkTMO.jpg

3NQopO.jpg

The fallen giraffe where Sam picks up the toy robot he is not allowed to take.

And the giraffe that sits proudly upon the Savage Starlight board game, the comic book series that Ellie loves and adheres to.

The symbolism here is that Sam, who is allowed nothing in his backpack, is not allowed a to be a kid. His older brother Henry believes that "Someday they'll come a time where kids can just be kids again," implying he believes now is unfortunately not the time. Sam is the downed giraffe. While Ellie, who has a backpack filled with joke books, comic books, and even the toy robot Sam wanted, still holds on to some semblance of what constitutes a childhood. She still approaches things with wonder and with enthusiasm. Endure and survive.

1mrKIp.jpg

There is a final giraffe in the sewers, in the children's classroom where Joel and Sam are separated from Henry and Ellie. In addition to the continued foreshadowing of the fate of Henry and Sam, this giraffe sits at a place of great loss - particularly of children. It's a symbol of the unfortunate naivety of Ish and his colony and how their comfortable innocence was much more fragile than they ever thought.

LFVfHN.jpg

We don't see another giraffe for a long time, but when we do its at a scene of high emotional release. In Wyoming, Ellie runs away from Joel after learning he doesn't care about her the way she had hoped. She flees to an idealistic ranch house - untouched by the ravages of the infection - and hides in a child's bedroom. Here she muses how easy children used to have it and had much less to worry about. She then confronts Joel about wanting to get rid of her the whole time.

This giraffe is the first one to fall out of pattern with the others, but still fits with the overall purpose of the motif. The giraffe here - as always connected to children - is tied to the drama that unfolds. Here Ellie's expectations of her and Joel's relationship comes undone. The loss this giraffe represents is the temporary loss of that relationship. The obligatory and objective relationship Joel had will Ellie dies. But a new one quickly forms and he accepts how much Ellie does mean to him. Joel regains some of the humanity he shut himself off to after the loss of Sarah. This is the turning point for Joel's character growth.

But then comes winter.

There are no giraffes in the winter portion of the game. I have looked heavily, searching areas I thought a giraffe might suit the theme and paying close attention to the set dressing in both the Joel and Ellie segments of the game. If somebody finds one then this interpretation will have to be adjusted, but assuming there are no giraffes at all in winter then I believe it's because it's the darkest part of the game. There is no innocence here. There is no childhood. In this chapter we witness the ultimate death of Ellie's innocence. We see her changed after her experience. We see people who've surrendered themselves to inhuman survival who no longer have empathy or remorse. We see Joel's darkest side as he tortures people for information. We see how far away from humanity people have strayed.

Winter is cold and dark and is the part of the game that finally breaks the child in Ellie. She is not the same afterward. There are no giraffes here.

Cut to spring in Salt Lake City.

0dVeBu.jpg

Joel and Ellie are both noticeably different when we rejoin them in Utah. Joel is softer, asking Ellie what's wrong and wanting to teach her to play guitar when everything's all over. Our softer, hopeful Joel has found some of his old self through Ellie, but is distressingly unaware of the darkness that now plagues her. His blissful ignorance is part of his regained innocence, because optimism is never a trait Joel had exhibited up until this point. The flaw with Joel's innocence is that it's entirely self-serving. It's unsurprising that a person capable of what Joel has done (especially in winter) would have difficulty returning to a pure state of humanity. He is a survivor, after all, which has necessitated protecting himself above all others. Still, our first giraffes appear on an advertisement for the zoo shown above.

Then comes our famous scene.

4Eofyw.jpg
vCDZE7.jpg

qpksuo.jpg

There could be a whole thread made about this scene. I'm sure there have been threads already. At this point, Joel and Ellie have officially become more like each other and less like themselves. Ellie is now cynical and driven by the mission. Her experiences have hardened her and she's not thinking about her future with Joel anymore. She says that when it's over they can go wherever he wants. Joel tells Ellie they don't even have to keep looking for the Fireflies, they can just go back to Tommy's and be a family. This scene is our look at their respective transformations. But while this scene is about Joel and Ellie sharing a quiet experience together, mirroring their first real interaction on a roof in Boston, this scene is much more crucially about Joel. After this scene Joel is finally at a point where he can accept the picture of Sarah from Ellie. He admits he doesn't want to run from the past anymore. Joel is whole again. These giraffes are Joel's innocence resurged. This is especially communicated when Ellie goes down the stairs but Joel holds back to watch the giraffes leave. He holds onto this moment, but Ellie doesn't.

As the giraffes disappear we are warned that this moment may be short lived. And it is.

Wqgjb1.jpg

EWoBjO.jpg

Our last giraffes cover what I imagine for many is the most emotional part of the game. Joel attempts to flee the hospital with Ellie in his arms, repeating his attempts to save Sarah. When he is blocked escape by armed Fireflies, he cuts through the pediatric waiting room. Giraffes are all over the walls as well as the stuffed giraffe on the floor. In a way, the motif is leading Joel where to go. They are directing him towards what he wants. Joel is fleeing again, with his child in his arms, and the terror that possesses him over the idea of losing a daughter again must be insurmountable. These giraffes are Joel's desperate innocence as he repeats his most tragic moment. These giraffes are, to me, more powerful than the famous overlook scene. While they foreshadow the death of Marlene and any efforts the Fireflies are making eradicate the infection, they're also the sand slipping through Joel's fingers.

This is it. It's get out with Ellie or die trying. His future, their future, and his chance at ever being normal again are calling him out of the hospital. Right or wrong, he succeeds. Joel's new self-serving innocence, in the end, prevails.

----------

There are two more giraffes in the game I will catalog when I replay Left Behind. They fill the arcade games where Riley and Ellie stop to play. Although they are part of the big-picture narrative, I excluded them for now to maintain focus on the primary campaign.

----------

A few of these pictures may be replaced with better ones as I come across the opportunity to take them. But any NEW giraffes will be given an update indicator at the top of the thread. I'm interested to hear what other fans of the game have to say about the symbolism present throughout the story.

A visual motif is very rare in video games, even successful narrative works. I am hard pressed to think of others. This thread could also be a great place to discover and examine other literary motifs that have found their way into video games in the past. If there even are any of this capacity.

----------

An excellent reply on the importance of Joel and Ellie's encounter with real giraffes being the turning point of their character arcs. (Post #32)
You, good job.

Fantastic thread. Kudos OP.

And yeah this is definitely not a stretch. These giraffes are not randomly placed throughout the game. Its carefully thought out about where and why. Thanks OP I've wondered what the significance of the animal is and this makes a lot of sense. I too noticed particularly the lack thereof in the Winter chapter.

EDIT: Looking forward to the Left Behind analysis. I need to replay that DLC. Haven't played it since it first came out.

Jobbs

Banned
good read. enjoyed, though always a bit uncomfortable reliving TLOU (the story really affects me). I tend to go play it, face it all head on, then try and forget about it for a while. XD

giraffesmfer.gif

I am surprised I never noticed that many giraffes. The only one I did notice was the bus stop advert before you see the actual giraffes.

I noticed a lot of them, but I must admit I never really noticed the giraffes in the final area on the way out running from the fireflies.

farmerboy

Good, no, great job OP. Funnily enough, now I'm thinking how amazing it would have been if Joel bludgeoned Marlene to death with a stuffed giraffe instead of shooting her.

Just finished it again yesterday. As a father of 2 girls, the game often made me wonder how I would or could protect their innocence if I was faced with similar circumstances. And I don't mean if there was a cordyceps outbreak, but like, what if there was a world war? How would I protect them? Would I be able? What lengths would I go to? At what point do you forget about their innocence and just worry about keeping them alive?

The game for me was genuinely thought provoking and sobering.

SerTapTap

Like many I can't believe I missed the giraffes in the hospital. I guess because you're so focused on running, all I remember seeing was hospital hallways.

MarionCB

Great thread. I really enjoyed your analysis, and it inspired me to play through the game again.

I found a giraffe in Winter. As Ellie escapes in the blizzard after David tries to butcher her, she stumbles into a videogame arcade called Andrew's Arcade. There's what appears to be a Cashier's room, with broad red and yellow bands painted on the front. Within are shelves for all the prize stuffed animals and right there in the middle is a giraffe, the same model as in Sara's room.

This is right before the restaurant confrontation with David. I suppose you could see it as foreshadowing: the red and yellow bands evoking the flames as the restaurant burns down, the giraffe the last threatened remnant of Ellie's innocence? I'm interested in your take on it.

Sinbe

Neo Member
I applied for a neogaf account just to post here. I'd like to contribute to the your spot-on reading that giraffes symbolize innocence in TLoU by analyzing this particularly important scene.

After the quiet giraffe watching moment in Salt Late city, there is a very important cut-scene in which Joel suggests for them to go back to Tommy's and be "done with this whole damn thing". Joel of course has never been a believer of the whole finding-the-cure thing.
Ellie replies: "after all we've been through, every that I've done, it can't be for nothing", she then moves forward.
Y3G1s97.jpg

Joel pauses a moment, he slightly looks up but not directly at the giraffes, the camera cuts to a shot of the last giraffe walking off, cuts back to Joel - he lets out a sigh and proceeds to follow Ellie.

jJgp1Kg.jpg

h1ZOYdq.jpg

9QcOW3Z.jpg

It was not random that the camera cut to giraffes as Joel was thinking about what Ellie said. In Joel's mind, "it can't be for nothing" is such an innocent statement. It's something Joel would like to believe, but it is rarely ever true in his cruel world - people die for nothing, people do unspeakable things for no reason other than just survival. It's innocent, but naive to think that there has to be meaning, or a higher purpose to all the violence and suffering. "It can't be for nothing", that is the giraffe in Ellie talking.

In my opinion, Ellie is trying to justify what she has had to do during Winter ("everything that I've done..."), she sees the cure as her redemption. But the irony is that Ellie doesn't need a redemption. The fact that she thinks she does says that there's still innocence in her, that she's still ultimately good, a little giraffe lives.

If you carefully deconstruct the scene, you can notice how the camera cut to the giraffes when Joel was not looking directly at them, he was just thinking about what Ellie said. Seeing the way the developers use that image in this scene, giraffes have definitely become a symbol of an idea.

***3/2 Update***

The OP has already been updated to reflect the discovery, but I have found another giraffe.

When I first started cataloging these symbols, I wasn't able to find any giraffes in Winter. There were very few indoor areas to even search and I concluded there simply were not giraffes in this portion. I interpreted this as winter being the bleakest chapter of the game and there was no childhood to be found, especially with how the chapter concludes for Ellie.

But it turns out I was wrong. Because there is a giraffe in winter, and it's exactly where it's supposed to be:

KWxwfPo.jpg

In the arcade.

Even before Left Behind, we knew arcades were important to Ellie. She comments on a game machine to Joel and describes a character named Angel Knives, a character we later learn was described to her by Riley in Left Behind. The arcade in the mall that Ellie explored with Riley was a pivotal moment in her life, and losing Riley right after is the beginning of Ellie's entire character arc in the main game. Ellie's loss of Riley, and one of their final moments together as friends in the arcade, is referenced by this giraffe.

This is Ellie's and Riley's place. There was their glimmer of childhood.

The appearance of this giraffe takes places chronologically after where Left Behind would take place in the main game. Were these parts of the game played in sequence, finding this giraffe becomes a somber image indeed.

0By6EmT.jpg

The giraffes in Left Behind will be posted soon, as well as a bonus post examining the set dressing of the steakhouse where Ellie's childhood finally dies.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, that's a very good find. It really makes me think that all these giraffes where very well placed by the devs.

Oh, that's a very good find. It really makes me think that all these giraffes where very well placed by the devs.

They were. Giraffes are never used as generic scenery. Take for example the photo of the giraffes found in Lincoln. Despite the photograph existing as an object, it is never used to dress the University's dorm rooms. Various photographs are placed all over the walls of people and pets, but the giraffe photo never appears. While all other photographs are utilized whenever the set dressing requires them as details, the giraffe photo only appears in its one specific place.

Great writeup OP. I am surprised no one has brought this up. But I feel the presence of giraffes in particular is important.

For me at least I saw the inclusion of giraffes, especially their existence post-pandemic a commentary on survival. When we're taught about Darwinism, especially versus Lamarckism, giraffes inevitably crop up. And since both are always brought up when teaching evolution, for me at least the presence and choice of giraffes is intrinsically related to how species adapt and which of them survives. And if survival and adapting aren't recurring themes in The Last of Us, I must have played another game!

I might be reading as much as I want into it, but especially given the whole BBC Documentary on Cordyceps fueled premise, I do feel the inclusion of giraffes is intentional. They're there as a symbol of Darwinism, reflecting back on our characters and their choices, their ability to survive, and adapt to a world that's suffered radical change.

reKon

Banned
This was a good bump because I never would have read through this thread. Nice work and attention to detail. Surprising that this thread is only two pages. I guess people would rather spend 50 pages talking about frame rates and how big of a game Uncharted 4 will be.

DevilFox

Amazing analysis man, I think I missed a good 1/3 of them and I spend a lot of time looking around for details. I also did not give that importance, honestly, I knew about motif but I did not expect to to see it applied to a game. It adds values to a game that was already one of my favourite, I'll definitely play it again and pay more attention.
Any other game you know that has motif?

As the interpretation, I'm afraid I haven't a different one from yours, sorry. Considering the contexts, where the giraffes are placed, all lead me to the theme of innocence and the real encounter as the key moment where the man who lost everything realizes there's still something to live for (giraffes = new beginning) while the little girl has decided to give her life (giraffes = end point). It's the pinnacle of their arc in both cases, anyway.
I think it's not a case that the encounter is placed just in the middle between the end of Winter and the hospital with no room for more character development, just enough to realize how they both changed with few lines but very expressive. Pretty spot on.

This is one of the reasons why I love GAF...

Fan-fucking-tastic thread OP. Incredibly well done sir.

Yeah, it's the kind of topic I expect from NeoGAF. Too bad they're rare and that I was almost missing this one because of few replies :|

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad people are also noticing this thread. It really is one of those awesome GAF threads that people don't go into because of the stupid "too long didn't readlol" or something. Again, thanks for analysis, Fireworker.

A cool side effect of threads like this is that game developers will start thinking about this kind of thing in more detail. People want this stuff, people are looking for this stuff. Don't just fill up your sets with crates.

Hesemonni

Banned
A cool side effect of threads like this is that game developers will start thinking about this kind of thing in more detail. People want this stuff, people are looking for this stuff. Don't just fill up your sets with crates.
Crates filled with giraffes. Power of imagination, yo.

Great writeup OP. I am surprised no one has brought this up. But I feel the presence of giraffes in particular is important.

For me at least I saw the inclusion of giraffes, especially their existence post-pandemic a commentary on survival. When we're taught about Darwinism, especially versus Lamarckism, giraffes inevitably crop up. And since both are always brought up when teaching evolution, for me at least the presence and choice of giraffes is intrinsically related to how species adapt and which of them survives. And if survival and adapting aren't recurring themes in The Last of Us, I must have played another game!

I might be reading as much as I want into it, but especially given the whole BBC Documentary on Cordyceps fueled premise, I do feel the inclusion of giraffes is intentional. They're there as a symbol of Darwinism, reflecting back on our characters and their choices, their ability to survive, and adapt to a world that's suffered radical change.

I agree with your reading and actually had the same thought occur to me. The only reason I didn't include it in this analysis is because, prior to beginning it last September, I learned that the giraffes were originally supposed to be zebras. They were changed to be more alien and more bizarre, because ND wanted Ellie to see the most bizarre and sensational animal possible.

HOWEVER.

Authorial intent is one thing, and textual reading is another. With what you said about giraffes and how they relate to evolution, and how the concept of adaptation is essentially woven into the plot of the game, the depiction of giraffes inherits an importance and a substance that may have been accidental. That doesn't make it any less true, or any less valid, or any less important to a reading of the text.

Because, ultimately, what matters is the information in front of us. We may get a glimpse at the thought process behind authorship, but what reaches the audience is what really counts.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I loved the game, havent revisited it or any threads about it lately....

So glad I popped in here. Was just curious, saw giraffe and laughed....until I started reading....then it became extremely interesting. I totally missed all the other giraffes.

Great post, thread.

I agree with your reading and actually had the same thought occur to me. The only reason I didn't include it in this analysis is because, prior to beginning it last September, I learned that the giraffes were originally supposed to be zebras. They were changed to be more alien and more bizarre, because ND wanted Ellie to see the most bizarre and sensational animal possible.

HOWEVER.

Authorial intent is one thing, and textual reading is another. With what you said about giraffes and how they relate to evolution, and how the concept of adaptation is essentially woven into the plot of the game, the depiction of giraffes inherits an importance and a substance that may have been accidental. That doesn't make it any less true, or any less valid, or any less important to a reading of the text.

Because, ultimately, what matters is the information in front of us. We may get a glimpse at the thought process behind authorship, but what reaches the audience is what really counts.

Do you know how many times I revisit brainstorms/stories in my head only to find an underlying theme I hadn't initially intended? Some things are subconscious but are no less important, as you say. I just have the "benefit" of not having released anything heh.

Inumbris

Brilliant write-up! I love both analyses of yours that I've read so far Finale (I believe the other one I've seen was on the topic of BioShock).

Keep doing what you are doing! They remind me of the kind of focus and attention to detail that I should always be striving for in my own works.

Amazing read. Loved everything about this analysis.

Getting to the Giraffe interaction, non-spoilered, was one of the best moments i've ever got while gaming. Delicate, beautiful, hopeful...

It's just a goddamn giraffe OP :)

Great read. A lot more giraffes than I remembered.

The giraffes actually represent Neil Druckman's intensively repressed sexuality. How others cannot see this is a testament to their own failure as gamers.

Seriously though, I both love and hate that image because it's both true and untrue. Readers tend to attach meaning to things the author did not intend, especially unpracticed readers. This is why nearly every slightly ambiguous piece of media has a "coma theory" attached to it, where eager readers interpret the main character to be in a coma or in a dream.

These people are always wrong. Unless we're talking about Mulholland Drive or Total Recall.

Most of the time, blue curtains are just blue. But a good author uses every word or image to tell their story. The less incidental their prose or set dressing, the more refined they are as an artist. If everything you give the audience is valuable, you know how to communicate your message to an audience.

Where to draw the line is usually easy. If your interpretation makes sense and you are concluding a message from the material that is relevant to the material itself, then whether the author intended it or not it becomes true. Authors say stuff by accident all the time, Arkham Asylum for example takes a particularly cruel stance on mental illness, and if the text for that interpretation is "on the page," then that is what the author wrote.

I know you were posting facetiously, but I also have been looking for a reason to explain this, because in my past and future threads there are people who are quick to say I am reaching.

All the empty drawers do not represent the hollow, empty heart of Joel. Those are blue curtains. But these giraffes? More than just giraffes!

Brilliant write-up! I love both analyses of yours that I've read so far Finale (I believe the other one I've seen was on the topic of BioShock).

Keep doing what you are doing! They remind me of the kind of focus and attention to detail that I should always be striving for in my own works.

You are correct. I have two previous threads on BioShock and BioShock Infinite. Both were only small parts of what is still intended to be an entire series, but it's hard to take the time to play, document, and write at length about games. I have so many rough drafts on so many games, including ones people might not expect, like
Luigi's Mansion

Amazing read. Loved everything about this analysis.

Getting to the Giraffe interaction, non-spoilered, was one of the best moments i've ever got while gaming. Delicate, beautiful, hopeful...

My favorite part about that scene is that it seamlessly transitions from cutscene to gameplay and the player does not know when they've regained control. So the player is sitting their watching the scene, just like Joel and Ellie, intent on nothing but watching the view.

After a few moments the player realizes the scene is idle. Shouldn't somebody be saying something? The player is now thoughtful, wanting to break the silence, and does so by reattempting control.

Just like Joel, who has something to say, and is watching the view with Ellie until he is able to say it. He regains control by beginning to leave, and then breaks the silence, just as the player did. It is a phenomenal moment in interactive storytelling.

Top Bottom