• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Well obviously, it doesn't matter much in terms of sales. That doesn't stop me from being disappointed by the abysmal first party output.

I don't really give a shit about Sony being happy, I give a shit about me being happy.

Bloodborne better be off the heezy, that's all i gotta say.

lol fair enough. I guess my point is that PS4 has games and content. Sure, the exclusives haven't been great, but generally speaking I think it has a lot to offer in terms of games in general, even if most are multiplatform.

That said this year is looking to remedy that. Bloodborne, Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5, Uncharted 4, Disgaea 5, Tearaway Unfolded, The Tomorrow Children, RIME and so on. Looking to be a good year.

They got some good software going forward and all the way until the end of the year, so sales look like they'll only accelerate.

Must be a worry for MS when the Xbone's release schedule has been so sparse since November. They need to fight back but they can't as software isn't arriving until end of the year for them.

Insane. And to think of all the fear mongering that went on before launch about the death of consoles just because the Wii U was bombing.

Goofy

I was one of the people wondering if consoles were reaching the end of their era.

Glad to be proven wrong.

To be fair to him, 600Kish difference in the US is much closer to the what, 8-9 million difference worldwide.

Yeah, it's a 52/48 split. That's pretty close - too close, I would say, if I were in charge of it. Sony should have responded to Microsoft's big holiday push and kept a commanding lead.

inky

Ridiculous numbers. I'll probably get one as soon as there are a few games I'd like to play. A new Red Dead would do it.

They got some good software going forward and all the way until the end of the year, so sales look like they'll only accelerate.

Must be a worry for MS when the Xbone's release schedule has been so sparse since November. They need to fight back but they can't as software isn't arriving until end of the year for them.

Wut?

Power: indisputably more powerful hardware than the competition.
Price: cheaper.
Pedigree: greater investment in 1st party studios and demonstrably greater support for their platforms from beginning to end.
Players: focusing on games from the very beginning and not futzing around with stupid DRM policies, TV and Kinect crap. Remember that the USA isn't the be-all end-all and other countries matter.

Simple. Effective. It's good to see the company that wasn't so incredibly cynical about this generation reaping the benefits. Let this be a lesson to all console manufacturers going forward, consumers won't put up with your bullshit.

a-fcking-men

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Given Sony hasn't exactly released their highest quality games quite yet on the first party front, this is quite impressive. It just goes to show you that having the best games and a platform that was built for the right reasons pretty much from the beginning, will get you this result and this is with a 400 dollar price tag. You could consider the Wii an anomaly in this because not only did it really not have the software but it was much cheaper than the ps4 was during the same time frame. This is much more impressive to me given the current landscape and the fact that the ps4 hasn't taken off quite yet in markets like Japan and the soon to be launched China market.

*Google voice putting in that work for me

Kinda disappointed about the lack of software numbers but guess its expected considering that they stopped reporting them in the quarterly reports. Nintendo now will be the only company providing them software attach rate.

Mrbob

Holiday sales with a true price drop going to be big.

MS just needs to concentrate on selling as many units as possible without worrying about the PS4. I think we've long passed the point where XB1 stays close to PS4 in worldwide sales, much less catch up. The only thing which could change this would be some sort of massive screw up by Sony which halts sales.

Are we looking at the same Xbox Game store?

Plus, 3rd party games are system sellers, not 1st party...that should be obvious by now.

vin-buc

44c3a8ccb9ff74efd369d43323f0a86f-400x225.gif
Hahahaha - this is excellent...... And true

Xando

Yeah, it's a 52/48 split. That's pretty close - too close, I would say, if I were in charge of it. Sony should have responded to Microsoft's big holiday push and kept a commanding lead.
They don't really need to respond though. Unlike MS sony is playing the WW game and unless ps4 fails to reach their sales targets for the US they're gonna take profit over market share. Especially since the US market is only 30-35% of their overall sales.

He's not exactly wrong. Sony has a lot of PlayStation exclusives spread throughout the year, and while a lot of it is stuff from japanese third parties that may not really make many waves, content is content is content. They have pretty much everything Microsoft is offering until at least September and a lot more. Variety is key in tying up mainstream and niche markets.

Very impressive performance by PS4. It should continue somewhat over the next couple of months as games get released. I do wonder what the summer slowdown will be like this year though.

11-12m probably. MS haven't announced a sold through number in months though.

There's no way that ms is at 11-12m sold through. Sony is still ahead in uk and usa, xbone biggest markets. My guess that they are still under 10 million sold through.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That is incredible. They still have big hitter games dropping this year.

Well done Sony well fucking done.

PS4 must be killing in Europe, because in USA apparently is not so hot.

Sony's major boost comes from Europe and ROTW, things are pretty tied up between PS4 and XBO in the US. .

"Not so hot" and "pretty tied up" in the US. If Larry Hyrb is reading this thread he's probably laughing pretty hard with the kind of weak spin being displayed here.

Either do it well or don't do it at all.

Xando

Very impressive performance by PS4. It should continue somewhat over the next couple of months as games get released. I do wonder what the summer slowdown will be like this year though.
With the witcher, batman, until dawn and MGS all releasing in the May - September period i think they'll continue with the 750k - 1 million per month pace.

A_Gorilla

Banned
What staggers me is that they're selling all of those WITHOUT Japan.

Imagine whats gonna happen when FFXV comes out and its halfway decent...

RdN

That's really impressive.

There's simply no way the Xbox can catch up, specially bring successful in the US only. The PS4 is a worldwide juggernaut.

Congrats to Sony.

Hoo boy. That's....about 1 year 4 months since it's been release, no? Pretty crazy. It'll probably hit 100 million in 5-6 years.

Top Bottom