• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2015 (Feb 23 - Mar 01)

Road

Late, but RER2 Episode 1 didn't even chart in the Famitsu top 30. Bomba.

DQH PS4 second week drop will probably be 90%+.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 10 2015

01./01. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Atlus)
03./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes: The Darkness Dragon and the Castle of the World Tree <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./03. [PSV] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./04. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo)
06./00. [3DS] New Prince of Tennis: Go to the Top <ADV> (FuRyu)
07./00. [PS4] Evolve <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)

08./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5)
09./00. [3DS] LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins <ADV> (Nintendo)
10./07. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
11./05. [3DS] Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins - Unjust Sin <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games)
12./11. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo)
13./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate <ACT> (Capcom)
14./08. [PS4] God Eater 2: Rage Burst <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./14. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
16./15. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
17./09. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4-II <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
18./00. [PS3] Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai All-Star Special <ACT> (Arc System Works)
19./22. [PS3] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin <RPG> (From Software)
20./00. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Uchuu Eiyuuki <ADV> (FuRyu)

Vena

I agree with you that ImageEpoch's decision here was very poor. I was just commenting on the age demographics question as a whole (for example, I suspect vastly more 50 year olds by percentage own smartphones but not Vitas) without actually considering the product. That was probably a poor choice, especially without clarifying what I was trying to say.

I think this is an example of a title that has a home that makes perfect sense on the Vita (of course, there comes a point and question of saturation, and the a similar issue of "people have major killer apps taking up their time" switches to "people have too many of the same genre competing for their wallet", the Vita's smaller userbase is definitely much more susceptible to genre fatigue and the 3DS at least has the chance to tap further audiences like Atlus will do in NA/EU) where, as others said/showed, there is a known and solidified demographic and one that is hard to actually foster on a more mainstream audience device as these sorts of titles, for better or worse, carry a stigma of sorts. So in this type of scenario the gamble, and according to duckroll, a huge budget on top of being a straight up hentai is just a disaster in the making.

Does ImageEpoch not own the rights to Luminous Arc? It would have seemed to me, given the successes of FE:A and the otherwise lack of such titles, that a more modern take on the LA franchise on the 3DS could have been a decent title especially in the wake of FE and the hunger for more similar mechanics. (And that's an ecchi title.)

monpiece

Banned
If YSO predictions for Yakuza are confirmed, it is just another example of franchise fatigue that I believe is becoming more and more common these days with those games with yearly installments that do not do anything else than pleasing most of the usual fanbase. I think that the current market state will keep punishing those series that are always doing "more of the same", regardless the quality of those titles, that is usually good.

Does ImageEpoch not own the rights to Luminous Arc? It would have seemed to me, given the successes of FE:A and the otherwise lack of such titles, that a more modern take on the LA franchise on the 3DS could have been a decent title especially in the wake of FE and the hunger for more similar mechanics. (And that's an ecchi title.)

They don't own the rights to Luminous Arc, since a new Luminous Arc is being made for Vita, published by Marvelous, which is the company that owns the rights for the series. By the way, this "hunger for SRPGs on 3DS" is pure conjecture of things that "could happen if games were made for 3DS" that infected these threads lately. Fire Emblem probably didn't help much Luminous Arc on DS (games sold less than 25% of FE sales on DS), so if there is any indication not based on wishful thinking of how much Luminous Arc games would benefit from Fire Emblem Awakening sales, it is the DS situation.

mao2

I think this is an example of a title that has a home that makes perfect sense on the Vita (of course, there comes a point and question of saturation, and the a similar issue of "people have major killer apps taking up their time" switches to "people have too many of the same genre competing for their wallet", the Vita's smaller userbase is definitely much more susceptible to genre fatigue and the 3DS at least has the chance to tap further audiences like Atlus will do in NA/EU) where, as others said/showed, there is a known and solidified demographic and one that is hard to actually foster on a more mainstream audience device as these sorts of titles, for better or worse, carry a stigma of sorts. So in this type of scenario the gamble, and according to duckroll, a huge budget on top of being a straight up hentai is just a disaster in the making.

Luminous Arc IP is owned my Marvelous, and they're releasing Luminous Arc Infinity on Vita (developed by Felistella). Stella Glow probably would've been Luminous Arc's spiritual successor for 3DS, but alas its status is unknown.

Vena

By the way, this "hunger for SRPGs on 3DS" is pure conjecture of things that "could happen if games were made for 3DS" that infected these threads lately. Fire Emblem probably didn't help much Luminous Arc on DS (games sold less than 25% of FE sales on DS), so if there is any indication not based on wishful thinking of how much Luminous Arc games would benefit from Fire Emblem Awakening sales, it is the DS situation.

Of course its conjecture (the majority of discussion in here is conjecture, prediction, and estimation) but its conjecture with reason. But even selling 25% of FEs sales would not be terrible considering how said FE did. Also of note is that even FE was struggling on the DS, but it found a sudden new life on the 3DS with Awakening spurring on its sales and strength to completely unexpected levels. There is an apparent thirst for the genre but only Nintendo/IntSys seems to have any interest in supplying titles for it. Similarly we had a system with JRPG thirst and, even still, that was left untapped for a long time. There is plenty of reason to believe that this conjecture isn't completely vapid, especially when you have a point of reference for strong sales. And, please, statements like "could happen if games were made for 3DS" are just dismissals without providing anything of value. I am not saying all games and genres should be on the 3DS, even my previous post specifically makes such a statement about another title, but this is a case of reference of where the title doesn't not make sense being on the 3DS. (Of course, the most recent LA is going down a very different road from its predecessors as was discussed in the previous week thread. The game is now being made for the audience it is targeting, and that makes perfect sense, but the game/genre has seen strong success on the 3DS.)

01./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 242.600 / NEW <81,63%>

That's a cool 60k, if we want to argue 25% as a basis.

Luminous Arc IP is owned my Marvelous, and they're releasing Luminous Arc Infinity on Vita (developed by Felistella). Stella Glow probably would've been Luminous Arc's spiritual successor for 3DS, but alas its status is unknown.

Okay, so they were just contracted developers. I knew that one was being made for Vita and that it wasn't ImageEpoch, but I had no idea if they ever, at any point, owned the rights to the IP. Given their seeming gross mismanagement across a lot of things, I wouldn't have been half surprised if they at some point had some co-ownership but squandered it.

Takao

Banned
(Of course, the most recent LA is going down a very different road from its predecessors as was discussed in the previous week thread. The game is now being made for the audience it is targeting, and that makes perfect sense, but the game/genre has seen strong success on the 3DS.)

Yes, a very different road from the pure and innocent DS games. It's a shame how far it's fallen.

Xenus

Nearly all of the games made by Imageepoch feature attractive, sexy female characters. It's actually their forte. :D

Well I don' remember much of that in Arc Rise Phantasia admittingly I've only made it about 10 hours in

mao2

We looked it over in last weeks thread, the new one is far and beyond what was present on the DS. I mean, I played the first three and what I've seen of the images/promotional material of the new one, its a lot less... clothing.
"Far and beyond"? C'mon...

Well I don' remember much of that in Arc Rise Phantasia admittingly I've only made it about 10 hours in
Leslie's showing an ample amount of skin. Her initial design (top and left) was even more risque before they decided to patch her up a little.
http://i.imgur.com/oSNJbbz.jpg [NSFW]

They don't own the rights to Luminous Arc, since a new Luminous Arc is being made for Vita, published by Marvelous, which is the company that owns the rights for the series. By the way, this "hunger for SRPGs on 3DS" is pure conjecture of things that "could happen if games were made for 3DS" that infected these threads lately. Fire Emblem probably didn't help much Luminous Arc on DS (games sold less than 25% of FE sales on DS), so if there is any indication not based on wishful thinking of how much Luminous Arc games would benefit from Fire Emblem Awakening sales, it is the DS situation.

Almost everything, here, is conjecture. Note, however, that Awakening is the best selling sRPG since... Ten years? Fifteen years? And that the 3DS does not have jRPG oversaturation as DS at the time. It is not something unbelievable to write that software houses should have jumped a bit more on the sRPG wagon on 3DS. For example, I cannot imagine a 3DS Valkyria Chronicles selling less than 150k (which was the average of the two entries on PSP).

Oregano

How many RPGs on the PS3 sold a quarter of FFXIII? I guess that means the demand for RPGs wasn't actually there. Guess all those publishers wasted their time and money.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
meanwhile DQH 2nd week :
PS3 160pt / PS4 46pt

DQH's second week sales on PS4 looks too low, to me...

Dragon Quest Heroes PS3 - 837pt --> 160pt; 81% drop
Dragon Quest Heroes PS4 - 357pt --> 46pt; 87% drop

Mmmh...it's also true that One Piece: Pirate Warriors had an 86% first-to-second-week drop, according to Media Create.

01./01. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} (¥8.190) - 90.133 / 745.907 (-86%)

So, it wouldn't be unheard of, for a big crossover Musou title. Still, that looks low on PS4.

DQ Heroes was never going to have incredible legs. Latest DQ entries were also frontloaded, though being on Nintendo platforms.

We looked it over in last weeks thread, the new one is far and beyond what was present on the DS. I mean, I played the first three and what I've seen of the images/promotional material of the new one, its a lot less... clothing.

Nothing I've seen is any different to the other games. Care to show some links?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retail store chain: preorders stats / comparisons, as of March 9th, 2015.

[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 416pt*
[PS3] Yakuza Ishin - 158pt
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin - 71pt
[PS3] Yakuza 0 - 187pt
[PS4] Yakuza 0 - 80pt

[PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - 101pt

[PS3] Dark Souls - 229pt**
[PS3] Dark Souls 2 - 93pt + 40pt = 133pt
[PS4] Bloodborne - 101pt

[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Taisen Z: Time Prison Chapter - 94pt
[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Taisen Z: Time Prison Chapter - 38pt
[PS3] 3rd Super Robot Taisen Z: Celestial Prison Chapter - 85pt
[PSV] 3rd Super Robot Taisen Z: Celestial Prison Chapter - 62pt

[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 84pt + 75pt = 159pt
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song - 80pt + 71pt = 151pt
[PS3] Sword Art Online: Lost Song - 46pt

[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 103pt*
[PS3] Resident Evil Revelations - 70pt*
[PS3] Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 63pt
[PS4] Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 41pt

[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 - 456pt**
[PS3] Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster - 143pt*
[PSV] Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster Twin Pack - 52pt*
[PSV] Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - 14pt*
[PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 59pt

[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 327pt + 38pt = 365pt*
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - 114pt*
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 58pt
[PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 26pt
[PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 22pt < x < 24pt

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 31pt
[3DS] Theatrhythm Dragon Quest - 36pt

[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory - 42pt
[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Ties to the Future - 34pt

[PS3] Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - 96pt**
[PS3] Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness - 44pt + 23pt = 67pt*
[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance - 21pt < x < 24pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2012/2013
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010/2011

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorder points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

Comgnet retail store chain: preorders stats / comparisons, as of March 9th, 2015.

wow @ PSV version spike

nightever

http://files.nepro.jp/jp/ir/pdf/release232.pdf

Tri-ace's new mother company publish their new game-department strategy.

Seems like tri-ace will still develop console games after being acquired by Nepro Japan, although they will also make more mobile games.

Interestingly, Japanese mobile game company seem to be willing to test water of the console markets through buying well-named developer..

sörine

Banned

Seems like tri-ace will still develop console games after being acquired by Nepro Japan, although they will also make more mobile games.

Interestingly, Japanese mobile game company seem to be willing to test water of the console markets through buying well-named developer..
They bought Mobile & Game Studio already for sort of the same purpose. Nepro's not new to consoles exactly.

Mario007

[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 416pt*
[PS3] Yakuza Ishin - 158pt
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin - 71pt
[PS3] Yakuza 0 - 187pt
[PS4] Yakuza 0 - 80pt

[PSV] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - 101pt

[PS3] Dark Souls - 229pt**
[PS3] Dark Souls 2 - 93pt + 40pt = 133pt
[PS4] Bloodborne - 101pt

[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 84pt + 75pt = 159pt
[PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song - 80pt + 71pt = 151pt
[PS3] Sword Art Online: Lost Song - 46pt

[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 103pt*
[PS3] Resident Evil Revelations - 70pt*
[PS3] Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 63pt
[PS4] Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 41pt

[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 - 456pt**
[PS3] Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster - 143pt*
[PSV] Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster Twin Pack - 52pt*
[PSV] Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - 14pt*
[PS4] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - 59pt

[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 327pt + 38pt = 365pt*
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - 114pt*
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 58pt
[PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 26pt
[PS4] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - 22pt < x < 24pt

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 31pt
[3DS] Theatrhythm Dragon Quest - 36pt

[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Miracle Victory - 42pt
[3DS] Kuroko's Basketball: Ties to the Future - 34pt

[PS3] Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - 96pt**
[PS3] Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness - 44pt + 23pt = 67pt*
[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance - 21pt < x < 24pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2012/2013
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010/2011

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual sales and pts has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorder points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago

Typo-0 bombing...I suppose that was expected since the game was actually available in Japan but it's weird that the FF XV demo is not doing much. Is Type-0 HD full priced in Japan too?

Also Bloodbourne is also not doing too well.

These comg preorders do not paint a nice picture regarding Japanese gamers wanting to play on the consoles.

Typo-0 bombing...I suppose that was expected since the game was actually available in Japan but it's weird that the FF XV demo is not doing much. Is Type-0 HD full priced in Japan too?

there is a bundle, maybe it's not counted into comgnet preorders

duckroll

Yes, it's full price complete with S-E tax. I don't really think there's any indication it's "bombing" though. What are your expectations for the title? I think it'll easily do 100-200k, which is in line with a positive results for both a HD remaster and for a paid demo, no matter how you look at it.

L~A

Hmm...

B_qqVXCUIAA04eR.png:large

By the way, they got exactly 11 days to release the game this winter ;)

Yes, it's full price complete with S-E tax. I don't really think there's any indication it's "bombing" though. What are your expectations for the title? I think it'll easily do 100-200k, which is in line with a positive results for both a HD remaster and for a paid demo, no matter how you look at it.
100~200k for a remastered game Japan already played on a system Japan isn't in a hurry to buy is nothing to scoff at.

Vena

To be fair:

1) with the reported woes of IE
2) the fact the game hasn't been seen since last year, when it was revealed in october...

...wouldn't be surprising if the game was really cancelled.

Oh I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it were canceled or if someone else picks it up (ie. just buys it) depending on how far along the work is to completion (if at all). My comment was more just for tongue-in-cheek. IE seems to simply be evaporating before our eyes, one project/plan at a time.

Some good news

sörine;155188258 said:
Type-0 HD needs a PS3 port.

That would be silly. The entire point of it is to build a base on PS4. Its also a 4 year HD remaster of a PSP game that sold 730k. If it does 150k+ its doing perfectly well.

Takao

Banned
If Bloodborne were to sell worse than Soul Sacrifice in Japan I don't know if I'd laugh or cry. Maybe a laugh so hard it brought me to tears?

Top Bottom