• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What confuses me about Wii U

I would actually use my Wii U more if most games allowed full screen + gamepad for the 2nd player. Looking at you, Mario Kart.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Every unique idea you could come up with for the WiiU was already tried and spent in the years that a dual touch-screen innovation was first new, on the DS.

It was a big miss not to make the console support multiple gamepads for multiple players. It could have been the fucking LAN party console, plus the gimmicky stuff from NintendoLand you mentioned.

Instead it's just a bummer.

I don't think it's a gimmick. I was saying mp seemed like it was the major push to the system and that the controller's dodads are inconsistent. Like seriously. Is Wii U about mp? Is it about off screen, is it about ds gaming? Wii U as a tittle suggests its a mp specific system. That's why I'm confused. The pad is not doing enough unique mp specific social things. Maybe I'm just missing the point.
The idea was always to include a screen in a controller, that's been brewing for decades at NIntendo. If the company is bothering to do that, then why not equip the controller with a screen suitable to do many things? If they went with a subscreen just to be a terminal to dump small notifications, you would have people complaining about how they missed the opportunity to do off screen play. If Nintendo went with the same size but no touch, then there would be more criticism.

As it is now:

-You can do local assymetrical multiplayer. Which was a big selling focus at launch with Nintendo Land and NSMB U. And the local multiplayer push hasn't stopped since with stuff like Wii Party, 3D World, Super Smash and Mario Party.

-Off TV play. Which is ending up becoming a standard and the Wii U (except for a limited range) pull it of very well.

-Miiverse. Making a Nintendo social Network is an idea with lots of potential and that can transcend diferrent generations of Nintendo consoles. The Gamepad working as a drawing tablet lends an unique touch to the community, that sets it appart to some extent from other social networks.

-UI Applications. Stuff like virtualizing buttons, artifacts or objects had many uses that range from convinience to inmersion. Something like handling the browser is more efficient, just like having a virtual keyboard or the menu UI always available at your finger tips.

i didn't say you were claiming it was a ginmick and even if you thinked that way theres nothing wrong at all with it. i was just citing how some people label the gamepad as an useless ginmick and that's unwarranted. It just failed to catch on with any audiences and is misunderstood by almost everybody. Nintendo was in a tight spot when people started to think about the Gamepad as a tablet and not a traditional controller with a screen in it.

Maengun1

I love the GamePad when its features are actually utilized in games. I still have fun with the asymmetric multiplayer games in NintendoLand with friends all the time, 2.5 years later.

But yeah basically no one does anything with it anymore. It's sad. The potential with the GamePad is so much higher than it was with the wiimote waggling last gen.

Fbh

It's a Nintendo console. Like all Nintendo systems over the past few years it's build with weaker hardware than the competition and designed around some gimmick that adds nothing to most of the good games.

IMO, Motion controlls aren't fundamental for any of the best games on Wii, Dual Screen or touch screen aren't fundamental for any of the best DS games, the 3D effect isn't fudamental for any 3DS game and the Gamepad isn't fundamenta for any WiiU game.
At least the gamepad adds a genuinely useful feature in the form of off-TV play and the best internet browser on consoles

But hey, they keep making some of the best games in the industry, so their consoles are still worth owning

There is a mic and keypad on the gamepad itself, yet no games have much social aspects. I can only socialize in Miiverse.
The one brilliant thing I can say Its being used for right now is Mario Maker. Watch it lack online functionality though. User created content is booming. Nintendo has a device that gives them the upper hand in this space, yet it is gone to waste.

There are games with both mic and keyboard (typing) support.

Mario & Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars came out like last week and has user created levels shared via Miiverse.

A bit of research next time.

It's a Nintendo console. Like all Nintendo systems it's build with weaker hardware than the competition and designed around some gimmick that adds nothing to most of the good games.

IMO, Motion controlls aren't fundamental for any of the best games on Wii, Dual Screen or touch screen aren't fundamental for any of the best DS games, the 3D effect isn't fudamental for any 3DS game and the Gamepad isn't fundamenta for any WiiU game.
At least the gamepad adds a genuinely useful feature in the form of off-TV play and the best internet browser on consoles

But hey, they keep making some of the best games in the industry, so their consoles are still worth owning

For Home Consoles, the Wii and Wii U were the only two systems Nintendo took this approach on including the hardware specs and the "gimmick" of the hardware. So if you talking about the last 9 years, then yeah I guess.

conman

Gamepad is really only useful as a portable-like way to play while someone else is watching TV. Other than that, I haven't found any use for it. And I'm grateful. The last thing I want is another gimmick-driven system like the Wii. The system is awesome enough without it.

It's a Nintendo console. Like all Nintendo systems it's build with weaker hardware than the competition and designed around some gimmick that adds nothing to most of the good games.
This was only true of the Wii. Every other Nintendo system was on par with or better than the competition in terms of raw horsepower. I also can't think of any other Nintendo console--except the Wii--that was driven by a gimmick.

Fbh

For Home Consoles, the Wii and Wii U were the only two systems Nintendo took this approach on including the hardware specs and the "gimmick" of the hardware. So if you talking about the last 9 years, than yeah I guess.
This was only true of the Wii. Every other Nintendo system was on par with or better than the competition in terms of raw horsepower. I also can't think of any other Nintendo console--except the Wii--that was driven by a gimmick.

Yeah sorry. I forgot to put "over the past few years" in there.
I've edited it

bounchfx

there is incredible potential with the gamepad but unfortunately it doesn't seem like any developer wants to give it a fair shake. I'm hoping for some indie dev to toss some great ideas at it and watch it become a system seller. There's so many gameplay opportunities open it's just a matter of someone actually.. you know.. making something.

gafneo

Banned
The idea was always to include a screen in a controller, that's been brewing for decades at NIntendo. If the company is bothering to do that, then why not equip the controller with a screen suitable to do many things? If they went with a subscreen just to be a terminal to dump small notifications, you would have people complaining about how they missed the opportunity to do off screen play. If Nintendo went with the same size but no touch, then there would be more criticism.

As it is now:

-You can do local assymetrical multiplayer. Which was a big selling focus at launch with Nintendo Land and NSMB U. And the local multiplayer push hasn't stopped since with stuff like Wii Party, 3D World, Super Smash and Mario Party.
I think a game like NSMB would be fun if the Wii U gamepad let you play as lakatoo dropping turtles on players. Maybe even let you be the annoying hammer bros while the normal controllers let you play co-op. In a way, that would be a new way of playing competitive mp. If you kill Mario enough times you could win the game while Mario loses because he couldn't make it to the flag.

I think a game like NSMB would be fun if the Wii U gamepad let you play as lakatoo dropping turtles on players. Maybe even let you be the annoying hammer bros while the normal controllers let you play co-op. In a way, that would be a new way of playing competitive mp. If you kill Mario enough times you could win the game while Mario loses because he couldn't make it to the flag.
That could be a nice concept. We could extrapolate that in other way. Maybe the user could take the role of any enemy in the map. We can even go further and imagine a mode in Mario Maker in which one player tries to reach the goal, while the Gampead player alters the level in real time by dropping enemies or creating obstacles. Or an FPS where the gamepad player has it's own view and can control the enemies on a level to prevent player 1 from advancing.

Really the Gamepad is a beast for local multiplayer, but this wasn't enough to spark good sales of a console in today's videogame market conditions.

spared

I don't really have a problem with the Wii U gamepad being used for nothing more than off-TV play and a place to put maps and shit so they're not crowding up the TV screen. I'm all for them using it in creative ways but I wouldn't want them to force in features for the sake of it. Off-TV justifies the controller's existence for me.
Thank you very much. The Wii U is what it is and it's fine like that.

The following games satisfy your demands one way or the other:

-Pikmin 3.
-Rayman Legends.
-Wii Party U
-Splinter Cell.
-Wii Fit U.
-ZombiU
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
-Need For Speed.
-Wind Waker HD.
-Hyrule Warriors. (2 player coop each with a screen)
-Wii Sports Club.
-CoD: Black Ops 2. (Two player each with a screen)
-Wario Ware
-Mario Party 10.
-FIFA 13.
-Fatal Frame (import)
-Pushmo.
-Sonic All Star's Racing (5th player uses sub screen)

There's also some indi games with assymetric multiplayer stuff. Like Stealth Inc. 2 for example.

lol this list is laughable. almost none of those games you listed use the gamepad in a meaningful way.
NcCfvfo.gif

Hiltz

there is incredible potential with the gamepad but unfortunately it doesn't seem like any developer wants to give it a fair shake. I'm hoping for some indie dev to toss some great ideas at it and watch it become a system seller. There's so many gameplay opportunities open it's just a matter of someone actually.. you know.. making something.

I would think that even if Wii U had sold better, we'd still generally not see third parties care to use the GamePad in meaningful ways when most would just be last generation multiplatform ports. Quite frankly, you know it 's a bad sign when even Nintendo is having a fairly hard time coming up with ideas for asymmetric gameplay. Anyway, it is kind of disappointing to see the GamePad go to waste when it is basically the equivalent of a pocket knife.

It's not used much, but I'm still glad to have it. Playing games on it while my wife is watching TV is nice, and there's a few games like Wind Waker that don't do anything too interesting with it but still make the game more convenient. Once you've played a Zelda where you can equip stuff on a touch screen it's hard to go back to traditional menus.

gafneo

Banned
That could be a nice concept. We could extrapolate that in other way. Maybe the user could take the role of any enemy in the map. We can even go further and imagine a mode in Mario Maker in which one player tries to reach the goal, while the Gampead player alters the level in real time by dropping enemies or creating obstacles. Or an FPS where the gamepad player has it's own view and can control the enemies on a level to prevent player 1 from advancing.

Really the Gamepad is a beast for local multiplayer, but this wasn't enough to spark good sales of a console in today's videogame market conditions.

Yeah, there's so many ways to experiment with mp.
Like imagine an old school Donkey Kong. Wiiu pad for dk throwing the barrels, other player is Mario.
Duck Hunt: Wii u pad for controlling ducks with touch. wiimote shoots.
Zelda: Wiiu pad for playing the hand that grabs link in dungeon or annoying money stealing bird in Hyrule field. Controller 1 plays link, player 2 designed for Epona and Skyloft.
Punchout: WiiU pad for all the bad guys in story mode. Wiimote for Little Mac or Wii Fit trainer girl.
Mario Kart: WiiU pad for dropping deathtraps and hazzards( ala Split Second). Controllers for racers.

godeveau

If you look back at the Wii, only a handful of game really took advantage of the Wiimote in a creative way that really enhanced the gameplay. If the Wii launched with Skyward Sword instead of Twilight Princess (and Red Steel!), I bet we would've been sold on the idea of motion control for hardcore gaming. If the same story repeat with the Wii U, we will probably see a few games that make a good use of the Wii U gamepad before the end of the console cycle. Finger crossed for Starfox!

Me and my kids are hooked on off-tv.

I can't imagine the next Nintendo console not supporting it. Even if it ships without gamepad and relies on the handheld to do that then we are good.

Do you hear me Ninty?

Dunkley

Almost every game with local co-op (where it's not redundant) let you play on two separate screens though. Tossing throwing stars at the screen isn't as fun as you'd think. The keyboard is being used a lot in the OS, but what else do you want done with it? Lol at the microphone, come on man.

That's a negative sir. Besides Smash Bros where split screen is redudant, as good as no first party WiiU title supports using the Gamepad as an own screen for local coop.

Pikmin 3 just shows the map or streams both the split screens onto the Gamepad, same with Mario Kart 8.

Me and my kids are hooked on off-tv.

I can't imagine the next Nintendo console not supporting it. Even if it ships without gamepad and relies on the handheld to do that then we are good.

Same here, off-tv is great.
You know what? I think only adults can really enjoy the WiiU. Too bad teenagers rule the market.

I would think that even if Wii U had sold better, we'd still generally not see third parties care to use the GamePad in meaningful ways when most would just be last generation multiplatform ports. Quite frankly, you know it 's a bad sign when even Nintendo is having a fairly hard time coming up with ideas for asymmetric gameplay. Anyway, it is kind of disappointing to see the GamePad go to waste when it is basically the equivalent of a pocket knife.
Do you think Nintendo is having a hard time coming with ideas for assymetric gameplay? Even from launch Nintendo Land did the job to show of many ways in which the Gampead can be used. We can't expect Nintendo to include this for every game they make. There's quite a lot of games from them using the Gamepad for dual screen or assymetrical play.

i think people that consider that Nintendo does not have software that uses the device in many ways are ignoring reality, there's various examples in the list i made earlier. Is not realistic to expect hundreds of games using the Gamepad when there's only Nintendo supporting the Wii U mostly.

I am sure they considered(and tried) that but it probably had performance issues not to their liking.
Having two player with co op with an screen for each player is in the realm of possibilities. But maybe they wanted 5 player local and couldn't pull it off with good performance. So it was an all or nothing decision.

Soodanim

I don't really have a problem with the Wii U gamepad being used for nothing more than off-TV play and a place to put maps and shit so they're not crowding up the TV screen. I'm all for them using it in creative ways but I wouldn't want them to force in features for the sake of it. Off-TV justifies the controller's existence for me.

It's insanely useful in families where someone can play (with headphones) a game without taking the living room TV. Marketing that feature alone would probably have sold them a fair few units.

The NSMB U is not a tack on. It uses the "dungeon master" concept that the Gamepad allows for local multiplayer. Part of the charm is that the player holding the pad can mess or help as he pleases. It's really fun if you can gather enough people.

ANd that's the thing. The Gamepad is not such a throw away ginmick like many people made it out to be. The biggest impact the Gamepad has for gaming involves local multiplayer, even more than remote play. So the Gamepad has a transformative feature after all, but it didn't catch on. Maybe because people that invest in consoles are investing more time in online multi than on local one.

In the end you gained something, there's a substantial list of games that used the Gamepad worth a damn XD

Nice post.

I'll be more direct about why the gamepad is a nice device but not more popular:

*Nintendo has a vision of local multiplayer that is not happening at many Wii U owners' households. They simply never get to enjoy NSMBU as it was intended. They will probably not get to experience Mario Party 10 that way, either. They are looking for online multiplayer.

* Handheld play is not as obviously impressive as Nintendo hi-def on a big screen: Mario 3D World on gampad -- great, I can play on the toilet! Mario 3D World on a 60" HD set --- woah, I am in Mario land!

Solution: make the successor to the 3DS able to function as the gamepad for the successor to the Wii U. Make both available separately or as a bundle. But include a pro controller with the console.

jimi_dini

Nintendo Land started to show a ton of ways that seemed like good tech demos. After that, no game has used the gamepad to rotate the aspect ratio of games

What's that supposed to mean?
If you mean the "gamepad as a window into a game" feature, that was actually used in at least the Batman games plus Game&Wario.

You know that Ninja star game that let you toss objects at the TV? Yep, no one has done crap with that concept.

Game&Wario

There is a mic and keypad on the gamepad itself, yet no games have much social aspects.

Microphone is used by games supporting voice chat. For example Splinter Cell, Resident Evil Revelations and quite a few others.

See, I thought the gamepad was to revolutionize mp. With the Wii remote every 1st party game took advantage of the million ways to use the periferal.

Took advantage? For some games, even 1st party games, motion controls were just tacked on and had no use/worked worse than a simple button. Which means always using them just because it was possible to use them was a silly thing to do.

For example: Smash Bros Brawl and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Motion controls (especially forced one) actually hurts Donkey Kong Country Returns. That's why I'm using a cheat to get my button support.

Also not every single 1st party game used motion controls. For example Xenoblade Chronicles didn't. And thank god for that. I like motion controls in some games, but there is simply no need to use it everywhere. It's like analog stick support. Sure, that's great and all, but some games work better using a digipad.

woopWOOP

I was really hoping it'd be used for a strategy game or a Dwarf Fortress like construction game at some point. I mean off-TV play is cool too, but... yeah. Missed opportunity.

It's obvious at this point that the new and interesting features that the Gamepad would bring ended up being more or a less a bust. The Gamepad does add some cool functionality, though.

Maushimo

Neo Member
The wii u is a pretty niche concept, even Nintendo themselves are having problems utilising the gamepad to it's full potential. I say wait for the next 1st party games coming out, you might get what you want then.

BokehKing

Banned
What confuses me about the wii u

You go on the Nintendo e-shop, and all the good games you want are for the DS family

Ended up selling the wii u and getting a 3ds instead
(granted, sold it to my friend for their kids so I still play it often)

Games can barely find a good use of the 3DS's 2nd screen, let alone a different 2nd screen that prevents you from looking at the TV while using it. The Gamepad just doesn't have that much use, it never had much potential. 90% of what is it used for can be replicated in other ways on one screen with little loss.

trixx

luigi's mansion on nintendoland is hands down the most fun i've had in multiplayer.

Nintendoland is better local multiplayer game than smash and kart imo. I wish there was some dlc or Nintendoland 2 or something or whatever. Wish there were more games that used the gamepad more creatively.

luigi's mansion on nintendoland is hands down the most fun i've had in multiplayer.

Nintendoland is better local multiplayer game than smash and kart imo. I wish there was some dlc or Nintendoland 2 or something or whatever. Wish there were more games that used the gamepad more creatively.

Nintendoland 2 with amiibos... believe.

EctoPrime

Besides offscreen play all of the gamepad features could of been included in a pro controller with a small touch screen. Use a DS hardware variant and you could still get 30 hours of use per charge.

Memory

This is about u too. Well, first thing. I bought the system for the usual 1st party games. Some people say the system is hurting over 3rd party support. I don't know about that because I haven't bought 3rd party on Nintendo platforms much since the n64.

/dead

You should quit gaming, 3rd party was amazing on Gamecube.

Nice post.

I'll be more direct about why the gamepad is a nice device but not more popular:

*Nintendo has a vision of local multiplayer that is not happening at many Wii U owners' households. They simply never get to enjoy NSMBU as it was intended. They will probably not get to experience Mario Party 10 that way, either. They are looking for online multiplayer.

* Handheld play is not as obviously impressive as Nintendo hi-def on a big screen: Mario 3D World on gampad -- great, I can play on the toilet! Mario 3D World on a 60" HD set --- woah, I am in Mario land!

Solution: make the successor to the 3DS able to function as the gamepad for the successor to the Wii U. Make both available separately or as a bundle. But include a pro controller with the console.
i think other wise in regards to the Wii U Pro controller, there's no point for a extrictly Dual Analog controller anymore. Nintendo next system should be based on a different control method and for traditional gaming the sell the Gamepad separetly or (like you said) use the handheld system. Save for any improbable events happening in the future, touch screens will get better and cheaper.

Besides offscreen play all of the gamepad features could of been included in a pro controller with a small touch screen. Use a DS hardware variant and you could still get 30 hours of use per charge.
i already explained this, if Nintendo was set to include a screen in the controller then might as well include one that open many possibilities. Including a small touch screen will have made people complain about the things that it can't do.

And no, besides off screen you also have local assymetrical multiplayer which was/is a big deal for Nintendo. Probably the off screen play is a by product of the assymetrical gameplay functionality. There's also the ideas Nintendo had in mind where the Gamepad works as terminak for "mid range" use, you can see some examples of that in Wii Party and Wii Fit U.

jholmes

What confuses me about the wii u

You go on the Nintendo e-shop, and all the good games you want are for the DS family

Ended up selling the wii u and getting a 3ds instead
(granted, sold it to my friend for their kids so I still play it often)

What confuses me about this thread

What the hell is this guy talking about?

Overside

Banned
Pretty sure Miyamoto said pretty much exactly what you did, but with different words, and he was making several games himself to rectify that.

The Wii's motion controls were (IMO) 100% pointless except for Skyward Sword, Wii Sports Resort, and navigating menus easier.

An all around spectacular failure of potential.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Was the unique thing about the WiiU gamepad the fact that it had a touch screen? A microphone? Motion sensors?

No.

The unique thing about the WiiU gamepad was that it displayed a lag-free video signal from the central console. Yes the pad had a number of other features but those are all near standard on phones, portable gaming devices, tablets, etc.

So if Nintendo failed to take the console's unique feature and place it front and center, and make it the star of the show. To make it the star of the show, the console needed to support multiple gamepads and symmetric gameplay.

Seriously. For the company that put four ports on every console since the N64, even four WiiMote light indicators, to design a console that can only support multiplayer gameplay in an unbalanced was nuts. All this asymetric gameplay innovation that has occurred (not much, mind you) could still have been developed.

But the console could have also been a local multiplayer LAN party dream for even traditional Goldeneye 64 type gameplay, and have unlocked so much more potential in combining shared and private views in multiplayer.

Was the unique thing about the WiiU gamepad the fact that it had a touch screen? A microphone? Motion sensors?

No.

The unique thing about the WiiU gamepad was that it displayed a lag-free video signal from the central console. Yes the pad had a number of other features but those are all near standard on phones, portable gaming devices, tablets, etc.

So if Nintendo failed to take the console's unique feature and place it front and center, and make it the star of the show. To make it the star of the show, the console needed to support multiple gamepads and symmetric gameplay.

Seriously. For the company that put four ports on every console since the N64, even four WiiMote light indicators, to design a console that can only support multiplayer gameplay in an unbalanced was nuts. All this asymetric gameplay innovation that has occurred (not much, mind you) could still have been developed.

But the console could have also been a local multiplayer LAN party dream for even traditional Goldeneye 64 type gameplay, and have unlocked so much more potential in combining shared and private views in multiplayer.
How would Nintendo bend the laws of physcis of the Wii U wireless protocol and transfer not one but four different frame buffers for that 4 player Golden Eye match you propose?

The reason we get that low latency up to 60 fps signal is because it's tranfering a SD image to one terminal at a relative short range. Nintendo has gone on a record to say two Gamepads is a posibility but with the penalty of splitting the frame rate in half.

Regiruler

Why nintendo hasn't done a mock tabletop game with the gamepad as the dungeon master is beyond me.

Not my idea, I got it from a PA comic.

Imbarkus

How would Nintendo bend the laws of physcis of the Wii U wireless protocol and transfer not one but four different frame buffers for that 4 player Golden Eye match you propose?

The reason we get that low latency up to 60 fps signal is because it's tranfering a SD image to one terminal at a relative short range. Nintendo has gone on a record to say two Gamepads is a posibility but with the penalty of splitting the frame rate in half.

Halve the resolution instead of the frame rate. Goldeneye was pretty Lo res as I recall.

Or solve the problem to enable it in some other way before you release the console, on account of all the voices and opinions at the time of initial announcement that insisted it was necessary.

Top Bottom