• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne launch trailer

Ok question GAF. Not played that much of DSII and I'm tempted to try again on the pc version.

Question is do I leave it and wait for Bloodborne and then grab the xb1 version in April or do I head in now regardless?

Loved demons and dark souls but DSII came out during a bad time in my life so never really played it.

there is no Bloodborne for xb1 or pc for that matter or you meant double dipping on DS2 on xb1?

cerulily

Ok question GAF. Not played that much of DSII and I'm tempted to try again on the pc version.

Question is do I leave it and wait for Bloodborne and then grab the xb1 version in April or do I head in now regardless?

Loved demons and dark souls but DSII came out during a bad time in my life so never really played it.

Can't tell if you're serious.

This game is co-developed /published by sony. It is never coming out on anything other than ps4.

aly

I say play Bloodborne first with the rest of the community and grab the xb1 version of DSII in April.

Alebrije

If graphics do not count for you grab Bloodborne for PS4 now and then DS2 for PC , not for Xbone or 360

ironcreed

Banned

I am getting both, but have already played Dark Souls II. But even if I had not, I would go ahead and play Bloodborne because it is out first. I'll hop back into DSII after.

play bloodborne with everyone till DSII is on sale on the Xbox One.

antitrop

I wish there was another AAA game release, this month. I've been playing a lot of downloadable games to bide the time, but Bloodborne has been the only big game I've been looking forward to for a while.

i-Lo

Here is a video by a Souls veteran and lore explorer (VaatiVidya): The Shape of Bloodborne: What to expect

It should answer your fundamental query.

Alo0oy

Banned

Play Bloodborne with the community, it wouldn't be the same if you pick it up later & most of the Souls community have already finished it.

thebloo

Lol he was scary, but in fact he was one of the easier enemies. You just had to trigger his jump attack by staying at a certain distance and then move to the left (or to the right) to dodge the attack, go behind him and BAM, backstab :D

Nah, he wasn't hard. I hate him because he dropped a very very rare stone. I farmed him for ~15 hours.

I wish there was another AAA game release, this month. I've been playing a lot of downloadable games to bide the time, but Bloodborne has been the only big game I've been looking forward to for a while.
Lord no, Bloodborne deserves my unwavering attention

So glad Witcher 3 got delayed

addyb

Sorry guys it wasn't worded well. I did indeed mean DSII on xbox one. Yeah I think I'll wait. Still got lots to play and I'm on with Ori and hotline miami 2 at present anyway. Quite tempted by DmC def edition as well as I never played it last gen. But this is going off topic now so apologies :)

0racle

Ok.

I like it.

But I'm so confused its not even funny. Needless to say I need some advice and hopefully I can get some before continuing. I will save those questions until the end because right now your all you want are impressions.

Here goes;

Coming from a first time "souls" player take these very vague and baseless opinions as just that.

- its HARD. Every single enemy is a challenge and I have yet to encounter an easy enemy
- controls seems responsive but it seems there are slight delays here and there, as if a animation needs to finish or something before I can initiate another input ( such as fighting/healing )
- graphics are great, obviously not the order great but much improved from the previous gameplay clips I have seen in the past. Aliassing is slightly noticable but on a whole new level of improvement from older gameplay clips we have seen.
- character customization is rediculously complex. Every single aspect can be adjusted with your character without any real constraints. To me it was far to overwhelming due to my OCD with making decisions like this. I hope I can go back and make adjustments later.....
- load times between death are satisfactory, not too long but not fast either.
- sound design is awesome. Really good environmental sound effects as well as positioning.
- perfect atmosphere. I purchased the game for the theme and it does not disappoint.

I have only played an hour or two so my impressions will drastically change and become more in depth as time goes on. Right now I'm too confused to comment on a majority of issues and need more time with the game to base an opinion. If as an outsider the series I'm pressed and enjoying it, you can imagine what that says for the diehard fans.

Bloodbornetrade_20150314125713.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716_1.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123710.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314122312.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124301.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124138.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123830.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716.jpg

Conezays

It has to happen and I believe it will.

Seems like an easy remaster that would be guaranteed to sell if Bloodborne has a good reception (especially to those who only had 360 last gen).

Replaying Demon's with the Dual Shock 4 alone was much-improved for me over the DS3, let alone improved graphics/frame rate. *drools*

Yep that. A few other people are seeing what I'm seeing, and I think I got an adequate description of what I'm seeing. I'm pretty happy it's not just me being crazy. This is the same feeling I get when I try to explain that 30fps upscaled to 60fps is not the same as native 60fps. It just looks weird to me, not many people can see it, and it's hard to describe.
I personally can see someone quickly moving x weapon into the "normal" position. With 2 free arms, you can prob swing a x weapon into the "normal" position. But I do understand what you mean.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaying Demon's Souls for the sake of it... I think I managed to get a good looking character by choosing 'random' a few times!

eKLMMOo.jpg

Alebrije

Now onto my questions about the game for people that have played or have an idea on what to do.

Ok so there is an area, sort of like a main hub - is this where I need to warp to and from to do ANYTHING with my character? using items etc found in the "game'?

when I die, do I loose 100% all my progress? this appears to be the truth. I do keep my blood vials for heath though. All enemies respond when I die as well.

How do I get new checkpoints? every time I die I end up back at the start. Even after I played a good chunk of the game I didn't get another checkpoint or find an item that would trigger one. I keep responding at a lantern but there are no lanterns anywhere else.

can someone please explain the basics to me? PLEASE? its not an adventure game it seems like, more or less like an MMO so far as weird as that sounds. what is the main goal lol.

Try to no spoil anything , thaks

Ole-G

Banned
Ok.

I like it.

But I'm so confused its not even funny. Needless to say I need some advice and hopefully I can get some before continuing. I will save those questions until the end because right now your all you want are impressions.

Here goes;

Coming from a first time "souls" player take these very vague and baseless opinions as just that.

- its HARD. Every single enemy is a challenge and I have yet to encounter an easy enemy
- controls seems responsive but it seems there are slight delays here and there, as if a animation needs to finish or something before I can initiate another input ( such as fighting/healing )
- graphics are great, obviously not the order great but much improved from the previous gameplay clips I have seen in the past. Aliassing is slightly noticable but on a whole new level of improvement from older gameplay clips we have seen.
- character customization is rediculously complex. Every single aspect can be adjusted with your character without any real constraints. To me it was far to overwhelming due to my OCD with making decisions like this. I hope I can go back and make adjustments later.....
- sound design is awesome. Really good environmental sound effects as well as positioning.
- perfect atmosphere. I purchased the game for the theme and it does not disappoint.

I have only played an hour or two so my impressions will drastically change and become more in depth as time goes on. Right now I'm too confused to comment on a majority of issues and need more time with the game to base an opinion. If as an outsider the series I'm pressed and enjoying it, you can imagine what that says for the diehard fans.

Bloodbornetrade_20150314125713.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716_1.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123710.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314122312.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124301.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314124138.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314123830.jpg

Bloodbornetrade_20150314130716.jpg

Enemies seem hard only because you're new to these series. You'll get used to it with time. I'm so jealous though. When I first played DS, I suffered a lot but then got better. It's a learning curve.

Ok.

I like it.

Here goes;

]

Awesome. Yea the Delay with healing attacking is because you need to let attack animations fully play out before you can go to do anything else. There is a queuing system for button presses. So say you press r1 to attack and then immediately press Triangle/Circle to heal or roll, the attack animation finishes first, then your next input is carried out.

Also if you need help with certain mechanics im sure someone in the spoilers thread could help you out. Just be sure yo spoiler tag anything that might seem a bit too revealing about the game's systems.

Conezays

Damn you, first of all.

There should be lanterns/bonfires/checkpoints of some sort that you find within the environment, Finding these/shortcuts within the environment should lessen the amount of backtracking you have to do.

If it's like Souls, when you die, you'll retain your equipment but lose your experience/souls, etc. If you return to where you died you can regain your lost experience. If it's similar, I would put that experience into leveling up/buying new equipment.

Edited my post, but I'm just giving general info about how to progress in a Souls game from my past experience.

Ok.

This is how the game plays. If you've ever played Monster Hunter thats the best comparison. The actions of your character are more based on reality and physics. You can't just swing real fast and then cancel the animation in the middle of it, so you have to be deliberate and careful with whatever action you are performing.

Nice impressions and pics.

Yeah, what you're describing is everyone's first Souls game. You'll get the swing of things eventually and master the animation timings.

ironcreed

Banned
Ok.

I like it.

Here goes;

Thank you. Can't wait to hear more impressions after you settle in and become accustomed to things. Nice screens as well.

cerulily

Ok.

I like it.

Post in the spoiler thread so we can bombard you with q's safely

Derpyduck

Banned
It's funny hearing someone new to these games describe a souls game. Based on all he just wrote, this is definitely a Souls game. Can't wait.

Oracle, you might want to continue your posts in the spoilers thread though. You'll find helpful people there as well.

Ok.

I like it.

Here goes;

]

Awesome. After the first area please post you stuff in the spoiler thread with tags. Just give the link for the image since some people don't want to see that :D

Awesome. Yea the Delay with healing attacking is because you need to let attack animations fully play out before you can go to do anything else. There is a queuing system for button presses. So say you press r1 to attack and then immediately press Triangle/Circle to heal or roll, the attack animation finishes first, then your next input is carried out.

Also if you need help with certain mechanics im sure someone in the spoilers thread could help you out. Just be sure yo spoiler tag anything that might seem a bit too revealing about the game's systems.

So you gotta let the animation play out first before attempting anything else?

So you gotta let the animation play out first before attempting anything else?

Yep

So you have to be really deliberate with each move. Make a mistake and its almost a guaranteed hit against you.

Learning the various move sets with each weapon is vital for the Souls series.

For example my favorite weapon in Demons Souls was the Curved Sword class of swords. Hitting Circle button while standing still would make you do a quick backstep about 2 paces back. If you attacked with R1 right after the backstep you would dash a few steps forward into a powerful slash you could followup with a quick combo.

Learning your enemies moves and behaviors I was able to backstep incoming Knight swings, missing me by a literal hair and then countering with my powerful strike and combo moves. Sometimes they would miss with their sword swing, i would backstep, and then they would parry my incoming dash strike. Which left me wide open for their counter swing.

Game has a lot of moves like that and moments. Everything is deliberate and weighty.

BumRush

Guys I never played any game of the Soul series. Is the difficulty comparable to Ninja Gaiden? Harder?

Much different. Slower and more methodical. The longer you play, the better you get, to the point where if you went back and started over after finishing, you can pretty much breeze through 60%-80% of the game.

Pegasos123

Ok.

I like it.

Here goes;

i have a question...
does every class start with the same weapons and gear?

Pretty much yes. It makes it to where the player cant haphazardly swing away at an enemy then get away easily once the enemy being their attack animation. Basically forcing you to be deliberate in your button presses.

Top Bottom