• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

Kinthalis

Banned
I played Witcher 2 with a gamepad on PC, So I'll playing this one that way too. Can't wait to see Ultra settings for myself!!

Don't know if I'll be done with Pillars Of Eternity in time though...

Ciri stuff doesn't sound like fun... 10 hours that isn't about Geralt? Better be good, story-wise.

Vasili2K38

to know how of an ultimate bad ass she is
She killed a Witcher Hunter (yes a dude who hunt a kill witchers) when she was 15 years old

I'm with you that Ciri post books should be God mode (best way to describe her lol), but that spoiler you mentions, if you're referring to Leo Bonhart he is not a "Witcher Hunter", he is a bounty hunter who is very good fighter, even posing a menace to witchers, and he had three witcher medallions which he claims that he killed their owners.

About the TW3 details, the game looks more and more promising. Specially the organic and handcrafted nature of the world.

Best information for me is being able to switch between gamepad and m/k freely this time. Played with a pad in Witcher 2 and wanted to use m/k so badly in the menus.

Salsa

Best information for me is being able to switch between gamepad and m/k freely this time. Played with a pad in Witcher 2 and wanted to use m/k so badly in the menus.

oh shit, missed that

either way the solution is to make the menues more suited to a gamepad

but yeah, I guess i'll be playing this sitting on my monitor with the keyboard close by rather than slouching in front of my TV :p

Quotient

I wasn't able to toggle to many of the sub-menus with the control pad in Witcher 2, so i had to change to kb/m, then back to controller.

Also any news of performance of the game on consoles, i.e. frame-rate, loading times etc.

Denton

I can't wait to see how this looks at ultra on my 55" panny plasma. I am going to drool all over my couch.
And good to know gamepad controls are great. Finished Witcher 2 three times with gamepad, it had few small problems there.

Ushay

This game is going to consume my life when it releases, I'll be glued to my TV all night.

And there's even more to come like Batman :O

D-VoN

"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"

He must have not have played Bloodborne yet

Nzyme32

Good that PC folks can switch between controller and mouse / keyboard depending on the situation. Still really curious of how the ultra settings will turn out. So much talk but no footage yet.

misho8723

Banned
About the day-one patch, arcticle from 13.3.2015 - Adam Badowski :

"we are making the product available on all platforms, including consoles, that can work offline - so the player doesn't have to download a day one patch to run the game."

To add further assurance that a day one patch probably won't be necessary, he concluded that future patches will be for "minor repairs, if any at all." This pales in comparison to titles like "Halo: The Master Chief Collection," which demanded a 20 GB download on day one.

http://www.designntrend.com/article...one-patch-gameplay-pc-graphics-comparison.htm

RedSwirl

This is the first I've heard of Oxenfurt. If I remember correctly that's where Shani lives in the books.

Oh, and one detail that interests me greatly is how the horse will have it's own storage space.

bwakh

I have a feeling the 5 to 10 hour Ciri sequences are going to have some Holy Shit! moments.

Never played the Witcher games and this looks above and beyond any open-world game so far. Day 1.

erawsd

A little more detail from another translator:

- A thing that he really appreciated and I liked very well as well is the importance of logic and consistency of the game world to the developers. This shows in small things like, killing a wolf will never drop a weapon but killing an enemy equiped with an axe has a high chance of dropping an axe as well. Or for instance there is absolutely no limit on where you can dive, even though on some place there is absolutely nothing to dive for but just to keep the consistency you can still dive.

- During his 2 days(not just playing, he also was able to just free fly through the world and things like that) he encountered 3 bugs. One was a savefile that couldn't be loaded but was fixed with a restart of the game. The second was a locked camera during a fight once and the third was a horse that somehow ended up on top of a pillar.

- On the topic of monster hunts. While in itself they are pretty cool a very interesting fact about it was the rewards. In fact you gain mutagens from the big monster hunting quests which can be used in a as it sounded a little bit more complex manner. One way to use them is to increase your skills which can give you at the highest level of combination of skills and mutagens a significant increase of your skills. They are also used in high-tier potions. To conclude, the mutagens are pretty useful and thus the monster hunting quests are more than just cool quests.

- On the topic of sidequests and decisions, Witcher 3 has in contrast to other games no problem of denying you content based on your decisions. For instance in one sidequest you could choose to enter a brawl of soldiers of some sort and if you did not an entire dungeon is completely denied to you for this playthrough. Also very interesting, the decisions and consequences are not as obvious as in Witcher 2 where at the end or the beginning of a chapter you had to choose between one or the other. In the Witcher 3 it is way more integrated into the gameplay and "every-day" decisions. As he summarized it: It will be impossible to have the same playthrough twice.

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com...xlusive_live_qa_by_gamestarde_hosted/#spoiler

Has the combat drastically changed/been overhauled from The Witcher 2? Didn't enjoy it at all but am very interested in TW3.
It's been tweaked to be more responsive and less rolly. Attack animations are quicker and can be cancelled by dodges. Parry looks less awkward as well. Hard to judge it from videos though cause they always seem to have the enemies set to brain dead on all of their demonstrations.

This is the first I've heard of Oxenfurt. If I remember correctly that's where Shani lives in the books.
Correct, it's also Dandilion's home that he says he's returning to in Witcher 2. Unfortunately they've already confirmed that Shani isn't in the game. They didn't rule out using her for DLC but it didn't really sound like it was in the plans either.

cripterion

"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"

He must have not have played Bloodborne yet

Not a dig at Bloodborne but the games aren't even remotely in the same league.

ironcreed

Banned
Novigrad and No Man's Land are indeed one single map, much bigger than Skyrim. The isles of Skellige form the other big part of the game. Next to that, there are 5-6 other separated locations, including Kaer Morhen.

Good God. Beast of a world.

Qassim

controller superior to keyboard, eh? dunno how to feel about that but seeing the difficulties and the differences is pretty sweet.

I'm fine with that, I'd say The Witcher 2 felt quite a bit better with a controller over keyboard and mouse too.

I'm a person who will try the keyboard and mouse controls first (because they have the greater chance of bringing some flexibility), but no problem whatsoever using a controller if a game works better on it.

Unless of course it is a genre or game type that could be a better game with better keyboard and mouse controls (i'm not sure a game like The Witcher would be).

Aside from the best weapons are crafted part because that sucks balls, everything sounds amazing. Too bad no info on the PS4 version

If it is like in the W2 is just a matter of adding things to weapons that are already great rather than starting from scratch, as in, 'To get the best sword you have to add this thing you found in a chest to the this sword that you found in a chest'.

BatSu

5Y2ZQq5.jpg

Ooccoo

If it is like in the W2 is just a matter of adding things to weapons that are already great rather than starting from scratch, as in, 'To get the best sword you have to add this thing you found in a chest to the this sword that you found in a chest'.

That's actually pretty clever. So you want that great sword to be even more badass? Well, find a gem and craft it to build a better sword. I like it. Wild Hunt is probably my most anticipated game behind Zelda this year.

That's actually pretty clever. So you want that great sword to be even more badass? Well, find a gem and craft it to build a better sword. I like it. Wild Hunt is probably my most anticipated game behind Zelda this year.

well there was an issue with crafting in The Witcher 2 in that you could not travel back to previous areas to get crafting materials that you missed (specially for armors that used hides from mosters you killed before), but seems like that won't be an issue here

void666

Banned
Now that's majestic. Here's to hoping there's not a flood of POI's though like Skyrim. I wanna ride through a forest or field for a minute with not ruins or camps or people or towns on the horizon or radar. Alone.

But then people would complain that the world is empty.

Anyway, not excited about the Ciri stuff.

Everything else sounds amazing though.

Älg

Ultra seems to have a big effect on the quality of vegetation and character models

Call me shallow, but that actually make me very excited. If you ask me foliage is really the only weak point graphically in the videos that we've seen so far, and if higher settings fixes that I'll be really happy.

Also superior beard tech confirmed.

Top Bottom