• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Jedi2016

The difference between the TN and IPS screens are really noticeable in the pics Yrael posted. It's a bit shady to sell two types of screens to customers without that being identified on the packaging somewhere. If someone prefers one type over the other, there's no way to know until the device is opened and tested.
Choice would have been nice, yes. The TN screen isn't bad by any stretch, but I would have preferred an IPS screen.

Yrael

Yeah, there's absolutely no way to tell without opening the box and testing it out which screen your unit will have (I checked the packaging of both n3DS XL units to be completely sure of this). :/ It forces the customer to play a game of random chance, which is very consumer-unfriendly, particularly when the unit is as expensive as it is.

So to recap, the game of lottery of the 3DS top screen involves:

- IPS vs TN screen
- Calibration (warm vs cool)
- Hinge type (some slide from side to side, some wobble back and forth, some have loud clicks, etc)
- Dead pixels vs no dead pixels

big_z

The difference between the TN and IPS screens are really noticeable in the pics Yrael posted. It's a bit shady to sell two types of screens to customers without that being identified on the packaging somewhere. If someone prefers one type over the other, there's no way to know until the device is opened and tested.

its not shady in Nintendos case just shitty for consumers. Sourcing multiple suppliers for parts is common for electronic companies and Nintendo themselves aren't advertising any particular screen so they're technically not doing anything wrong. A n3dsxl will work as intended no matter which screen you get.

shady is when hdtv and monitor manufacturers sell their products advertising a specific screen type but secretly use mva or other variants in some units. that is straight up false advertising and im surprised no one has attempted to sue.

m0t0k1

Yeah, there's absolutely no way to tell without opening the box and testing it out which screen your unit will have (I checked the packaging of both n3DS XL units to be completely sure of this). :/ It forces the customer to play a game of random chance, which is very consumer-unfriendly, particularly when the unit is as expensive as it is.

I am just guessing here but isnt there a serial number on the box? Maybe that can give more info on what kind of 3ds it is? Based on the serial number people could know which firmware was on the 3ds. So maybe there is little hope that the tn and ips got a different code to it?

Yrael

I am just guessing here but isnt there a serial number on the box? Maybe that can give more info on what kind of 3ds it is? Based on the serial number people could know which firmware was on the 3ds. So maybe there is little hope that the tn and ips got a different code to it?

The serial number on both boxes is the same - 9318113990530.

The serial number on both boxes is the same - 9318113990530.

What you're looking at there is the product code. The serial number should begin with a sequence of letters, such as "YEM" (EU 3DS) or "QW" (US 3DSXL).

There's actually some data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rYsMcMy2uvya3EdmqetsDp7mA18dZGwfJdoPgFGhRao/pubhtml

It's incomplete, and it'll take quite a sample size to work out any potential corration between serial numbers and panel type. My theory is that IPS was used for early batches, whereafter they switched to TN so as to cut manufacturing costs. So if you have a "low" serial number (assuming that's how Nintendo does things), perhaps that's an indicator under this theory.

Yrael

What you're looking at there is the product code. The serial number should begin with a sequence of letters, such as "YEM" (EU 3DS) or "QW" (US 3DSXL).

There's actually some data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rYsMcMy2uvya3EdmqetsDp7mA18dZGwfJdoPgFGhRao/pubhtml

It's incomplete, and it'll take quite a sample size to work out any potential corration between serial numbers and panel type. My theory is that IPS was used for early batches, whereafter they switched to TN so as to cut manufacturing costs. So if you have a "low" serial number (assuming that's how Nintendo does things), perhaps that's an indicator under this theory.

Ah, the number on the base of the 3DS itself.

The number on the n3DS XL with the TN display (bought in Australia on the 14th of February) is QAH1004XXXX X (hiding the last few numbers). The number on the n3DS XL with the IPS display (bought this week, also in Aus) is QAH1007XXXX X.

Ah, the number on the base of the 3DS itself.

The number on the n3DS XL with the TN display (bought in Australia on the 14th of February) is QAH1004XXXX X (hiding the last few numbers). The number on the n3DS XL with the IPS display (bought this week, also in Aus) is QAH1007XXXX X.

So is there no way of reading the serial without opening the box? Like a hole or some such? I would assume retailers would need a way to register the unit's serial at checkout, for reference in case of a return. I've even seen it printed on receipts, so it has to be visible or coded somewhere.

YadeO9j.jpg

If not, the exercise with serial numbers is pretty pointless, because if you've unpacked the console you might as well try it ;).

There is usually a hole in the box through which the serial number can be scanned off the device itself at checkout. That's been the case in pretty much every every electronic device, console or handheld I bought.

Zing

Banned
The serial number is on the box. What makes you think it isn't?

On the n3DS XL, it is on one of the end flaps. On the old XL, it's along the top side. It is in the same place on the original 3DS as well.

Yrael

Hmmm, nope, the number I just read off from the base of the 3DS XL is nowhere to be found on the box.

What is on the boxes that I have is the model number ("RED-S-DBAA(AUS)") and the MPN (9318113990530). On the end flap is the string "BFC-RED-S-DBAA-AUS-CO" (referencing the model number) and a small scan-able QR code (the pattern is the same on both boxes). These are all the same for both units. Having just checked the latest receipt, it doesn't reference the 3DS unit's unique serial number.

However, I checked online to see what Nintendo's support has to say:

The serial number (hardware) is on the bottom (console) or back (handheld) of the system. It can usually be found on the box the system was packaged in as well.

This is from the Nintendo of America website (I live in Australia), soooo perhaps this may be a regional thing? For instance, I found this image of an American box with the 3DS serial number on the top:

iWtzhVoemeJEF.jpg

I don't think this has been the case for any of the boxes that my 3DS consoles have come in. What is in that place is the model number instead (ie. RED-S-DBAA(AUS) for a Majora's Mask new 3DS XL unit purchased in Australia).

White theme:

Black theme:

Same brightness (3), both with auto brightness off & power saving on.

The TN was purchased at GameStop, screen protectors applied - realized huge disparity - since its powered on, is there any recourse? This is a disappointment. The TN is shit.

Aside, this is very anti consumer of Nintendo. People are paying the same amount of $, for a patently worse screen. There is no way of knowing, until you've opened & powered on the system. At that point, you've taken ownership.

Yrael

White theme:

Same brightness (3), both with auto brightness off & power saving on.

The TN was purchased at GameStop, screen protectors applied - realized huge disparity - since its powered on, is there any recourse? This is a disappointment. The TN is shit.

Aside, this is very anti consumer of Nintendo. People are paying the same amount of $, for a patently worse screen. There is no way of knowing, until you've opened & powered on the system. At that point, you've taken ownership.

Yeah, I don't know if a TN screen is a sufficient reason to claim that the console is faulty, because it's still completely functional and part of the "normal" spectrum of quality of the screens produced by the suppliers, even though it's much worse when it comes to maintaining colour integrity (I thought it was a good screen all-round before I could compare it to the IPS first hand and really see the difference).

The only thing we can do as consumers is to buy the console from a store with the most lenient return policy and then hope for the best. It's a pretty crappy situation (I'm still a little peeved that the first MM 3DS console I bought turned out to be the TN variety. Of course, I'd have been much more steamed if I couldn't replace it with one that suits me better).

dan2026

Wow this is super shitty.
You take a roulette wheel as to whether you get a decent screen or a crap one.

Did any other handhelds ever pull this bullshit?

The TN screen is not shit...
It's still a huge improvement over the OG XL. I don't know why you turned power save on.

The TN is shit when it comes to contrast, vibrancy of color, 3D angle and the overall 3D effect.

I have both, firsthand - the effect and everything is very muted on the TN - whether power save is off or not.

The TN is shit when it comes to contrast, vibrancy of color, 3D angle and the overall 3D effect.

I have both, firsthand - the effect and everything is very muted on the TN - whether power save is off or not.

If it's shit, what do you call the 2ds and OG 3ds/XL screens ? The new TN screen is a huge upgrade and I'm replaying all my old games just because they feel like totally new with this display...

I really need to get my hands on an IPS display to see for myself.

In another thread, we might have discovered another default of the TN display :

https://youtu.be/ZhptdCfVxD8

The fish goes down
blacktrail3dsu5uvy.png

blacktrail3ds1rabgu.png

The fish goes up
blacktrail3ds22bla9.png

blacktrail3ds39blqy.png

Black trail behind fast moving dark object against lighter background.
Someone with an IPS display should do the same test.

I think I will buy another N3DSXL from amazon and return it until I got a perfect one. Beta testers from Australia and Japan really failed us. It should have been a known issue before global launch of N3DS in the rest of the world.

If it's shit, what do you call the 2ds and OG 3ds/XL screens ? The new TN screen is a huge upgrade and I'm replaying all my old games just because they feel like totally new with this display...

I really need to get my hands on an IPS display to see for myself.

In another thread, we might have discovered another default of the TN display :

The fish goes down
blacktrail3dsu5uvy.png

blacktrail3ds1rabgu.png

The fish goes up
blacktrail3ds22bla9.png

blacktrail3ds39blqy.png

Black trail behind fast moving dark object against lighter background.
Someone with an IPS display should do the same test.

I think I will buy another N3DSXL from amazon and return it until I got a perfect one. Beta testers from Australia and Japan really failed us. It should have been a known issue before global launch of N3DS in the rest of the world.

It's hard to explain, the differences with the two types of screens...

...having tested mh4U on each system, textures look far and away, leagues better on the IPS screen. They seem better shaded and less flat. I think it has to do with the infinitely better contrast with colors. The shading and light reflecting on Testsucabra looks bump mapped and impactful, on IPS. On the TN, it looks more washed out and the 3D looks less pronounced, on the scales and textures - even the ground. Just looks washed out and flatter, image wise.

I took the plunge and ordered a new 3ds XL on Amazon. I hope it would be a IPS one and that I will not lose too much money on the TN one... I'll keep this thread updated with my impressions since I was someone very happy with the TN display.

Yrael

I took the plunge and ordered a new 3ds XL on Amazon. I hope it would be a IPS one and that I will not lose too much money on the TN one... I'll keep this thread updated with my impressions since I was someone very happy with the TN display.

Best of luck, hope the lottery is kind!

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think I'll be buying a 3DS until there is some way to verify this beforehand.

Its absolutely bullshit, honestly. While there may be a minority that prefers the TN screen for various minor reasons, the IPS is for all intents and purposes an upgrade over the TN. I'm not sure how they thought this was acceptable or never made any mention of it anywhere.

Goes to show how seriously little Nintendo seems to give a shit about the hardware side. Or how much they expect their consumer base to....

RedFury

All this talk about panels, I'm looking for a pc monitor. Should I go IPS or no IPS. Anywhere I can go for some help?

Seanspeed

Banned
All this talk about panels, I'm looking for a pc monitor. Should I go IPS or no IPS. Anywhere I can go for some help?
The 'I Need a New PC Thread' is probably the best place. Its a more complicated topic on the PC side though as there are lots of different options for all kinds of different use and price situations.

Super simplified advice - all else being equal, definitely go IPS. I wouldn't look at a TN screen unless you're on a budget or you're looking for a 120/144hz monitor.

RedFury

The 'I Need a New PC Thread' is probably the best place. Its a more complicated topic on the PC side though as there are lots of different options for all kinds of different use and price situations.

Super simplified advice - all else being equal, definitely go IPS. I wouldn't look at a TN screen unless you're on a budget or you're looking for a 120/144hz monitor.
Cool, thanks.

big_z

I don't think I'll be buying a 3DS until there is some way to verify this beforehand.

Its absolutely bullshit, honestly. While there may be a minority that prefers the TN screen for various minor reasons, the IPS is for all intents and purposes an upgrade over the TN. I'm not sure how they thought this was acceptable or never made any mention of it anywhere.

Goes to show how seriously little Nintendo seems to give a shit about the hardware side. Or how much they expect their consumer base to....

there will never be a way to verify what screen youll get until you take it out of the box. parts are sourced and brought into an assembly factory. the serial numbers on the box only provide manufacturing info such as the date/run not individual component info.

as I said before theres a chance Nintendo will only use tn in the future since its a cheaper panel to make and they did something similar when the 3ds launched. (screen quality dropped after price drop)

it would be nice if consumers would argue for better quality standards but a vast majority are oblivious or don't care. all they want to see is a low price tag and to be told the product is good. its like hdtvs the quality got kicked to the curb and it became a race to the bottom.

hardforum. tftcentral is good for reviews.

im actually close to buying a new monitor myself as my current one wont turn on all the time. ill probably end up getting a dell because they rank high in reviews(ips), affordable and the return policy. return policy is super important to me because the panel lottery applies to pc monitors just as much as 3ds screens.

Yrael

Then I don't think you'll ever be buying a 3DS. Your best bet is to find a store with a flexible enough return policy that you'd be able to get a replacement or full refund in the event of getting a TN panel.

Zing

Banned
It is my opinion that if the panel type is enough to discourage one from owning a 3DS, then the person doesn't truly want a 3DS in the first place. Both types of panels are satisfactory. The 3DS has been using TN panels since day one. The older XL TN panel looks amazing already. If the new TN panel is even equal quality (I hear it is better), then there is nothing of concern here.

wilflare

It is my opinion that if the panel type is enough to discourage one from owning a 3DS, then the person doesn't truly want a 3DS in the first place. Both types of panels are satisfactory. The 3DS has been using TN panels since day one. The older XL TN panel looks amazing already. If the new TN panel is even equal quality (I hear it is better), then there is nothing of concern here.

I couldn't enjoy my old 3DSXL - it's horrible...

I'm really glad that the new3DSXL comes with IPS screen - the colors, the screen are much better - finally I can enjoy the console.

The new TN is nice, the IPS is better.

I just don't get how this practice is legal; Nintendo, technically, never advertised 2 completely different types of panels, its a gray area. I fail to understand how consumers can pay $199 equally, and receive a lottery of 2 different products? That's esentially what is happening.

One consumer may desire a certain panel type (IPS) - receiving the lower quality type (TN), while other consumers recieved the superior panel...

Ultiamtely, these are 2 different types of screens!?!?!

It's not like all are TN, some are just worse manufacturer made :(

IMO the OG 3ds XL panel was truly awful, it was never great and you never used any decent screen to call it amazing, it was serviceable at best.
The new one is better and would be fine if the IPS would not exist, but when you upgrade to a New 3ds only for a better screen, you can't be satisfied until you got the better screen. I will lose some money over this issue because it's like I upgraded two times in order to have the best screen possible on 3ds.
I highly value display quality and it's one of the main factor I enjoyr video games. When I get a new display with better quality, I replay all of my games and they feel like completely new games. I bought threee models of psp just for the better screens.
The new TN display is a huge improvement over the OG one, I can't stop myself wanting to know if the IPS one is also a big update.

I really hope I got an IPS display on the New 3DS XL I will get in the mail tomorrow.

There was the burn-in, vertical line color banding, and mura issues with the Vita 1k.

This affected all Vita, it's not the same thing as selling an item with two different display technologies.

They only had black, so now I've got a red IPS new XL and black IPS new XL.

Good riddance, TN.

I'm happy - there's no way, having had both FIRSTHAND that the TN is in ANY WAY comparable - it was substandard and poor, especially side by side.

My friend works in a small local game shop, I asked him if I can check the screen before buying. Said they're sold out now but he'll check and compare them for me when they get some.

The shitty thing though is that the new 3DS here costs over $300, and I could have gotten one from the US with my aunt who is visiting soon and it would have saved me more than a $100, but I don't want to play Nintendo's lottery so I might end up paying a huge premium just to guarantee that I get the IPS display :(

If I wasn't worried that Nintendo might stop using the IPS displays altogether in the future then I would have delayed the whole purchase, but I fear waiting too long and then there only being 3DSes with TN displays available in the market.

Lumyst

Mine's a red XL and is clearly an IPS screen, meaning colors are vibrant and it has a wide viewing angle. But I did also face the black crush issue in MH4. I was wondering why in some caves I was unable to make it "easier to see" despite putting the backlight to max. Oh well, goes to show the drawbacks are as real as the improvements :p (I'd still choose IPS though if I had to choose. And the wide viewing angle sounds like an improvement that all NewXL's should have.)

Thanks to Amazon Premium and fast delivery, I already got the new New 3DS XL ...
And it got an IPS display !

I'm still not a huge winner of the lottery because this 3ds got a looser hinge and it's metallic blue. The ironic thing is that I also had regret after getting the black one and wishing I went with the blue, maybe it will grow on me...

The part everyone is waiting for, the display comparaison... Well, I'm a little underwhelmed, the screen is better but not by a huge margin and I'm not sure if it was worth the hassle to buy a new one, do the data transfer all over again and sell the TN one at a loss (hope I will get at least 150€ from it after all expanse).
The better viewing angles doesn't do anything for better stable 3d and they clearly are not worth it.

The only thing wich makes the screen slightly better is the accurate gamma calibration if it's something you are anal about.

I need to complete the data transfer in order to test more games and do the trail test with sonic.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, it does not look amazing. Not even remotely close to amazing. In fact, the screens on the 3DS are quite woeful, especially if you're used to looking at smartphone quality displays.

It might be adequate, but if I'm out paying extra for the revamped/upgraded 3DS, I don't want to get one with the shittier screen. In no way is it remotely acceptable to me to do that and not at least advertise what you're getting. I do want a 3DS. I've even bought A Link Between Worlds already. I'm just not in any rush because I've got plenty of other stuff to play and I'm waiting to get a good deal on one. No, its not a 'must have' for me at the moment, but that doesn't mean that I don't actually want one. I find that such a ridiculous way to try and dismiss legit criticism.

I preordered a N3DSXL Majora's Limited from the new batch 2 weeks ago, local shop in Italy. Maybe it will have an IPS screen, fingers crossed, in any case once I get my hands on it i will post some photos to provide you info

TN
blacktrail3ds22bla9.png

IPS
blacktrail3dsips2funl.png

http://youtu.be/UrQVa07hfI8

looks like another victory for the IPS display...

BUT, I just found out something very distractfull while playing NSMB3DL. I find the TN display better for this game, on the IPS there's like a slight blur all over the screen when I move around and the worst offender is that all the edges are shimmering!

So it's not all rosy on the IPS side neither.

Here's my conclusion. The two panels are a huge improvement over the OG 3DS XL, it's night and day and worth the upgrade alone, whereasthe difference between the two new panels are rather subtle.

If you got a TN display and you're satisfied with itsquality, I don't think you should bother getting an IPS if it would cost you money, it's not really worth the trouble.
Athough, if the dark blue trail issue and the too high gamma is a big issue for you, the IPS could be worth it because that's where it trully shines.
The TN screen is better if you prefer a "raw" look, it's hard to describe but there's like processing filters on the IPS display that mess with the look of some games. Majora's mask and MH4 look better on the IPS, but I prefer the look of NSMB3DLand on the TN.

I hope my impressions could help some on the fence and I will still be able to answers the most precise questions and will do more tests if requested. I love investigating those issues.

big_z

BUT, I just found out something very distractfull while playing NSMB3DL. I find the TN display better for this game, on the IPS there's like a slight blur all over the screen when I move around and the worst offender is that all the edges are shimmering!

possible to capture this on video and as well as a footage from the tn for comparison?

possible to capture this on video and as well as a footage from the tn for comparison?

I got the game digitally so I can't play it on the TN anymore...

I will still try to capture some footage on the IPS display but I don't know if it will show on camera.

I found another big issue with the IPS display, and it's really one who bother me and where the TN displat detsroy the IPS one.
I don't know if it's the "scanline" effect, but I will rather call it "the banding filter who ruins the picture" than scanline.

That's not a reflection or an artifact due to taking the picture with a camera, the banding is all over the screen and it ruins the picture. It's even more noticeable in real life. The grey squares are turned into rainbow of green red and blue ...

bandingymu9w.png

I took a video of the effect, it's taking a while to upload.

So yeah, the IPS display is far from perfect and I can't decide wich one is better now ...

GenG3000

So it's a matter of a more clean image with no artifacts vs. faster response and better contrast? The N3DS also has a resolution closer to native.

tn would have better response no? ips better iq? for single player use tn might be better suited as a display for gameplay reasons. And I hate TN screens

big_z

I got the game digitally so I can't play it on the TN anymore...

I will still try to capture some footage on the IPS display but I don't know if it will show on camera.

I found another big issue with the IPS display, and it's really one who bother me and where the TN displat detsroy the IPS one.
I don't know if it's the "scanline" effect, but I will rather call it "the banding filter who ruins the picture" than scanline.

that's not the scanline thing but its interesting to see banding. what Mario level is that and is there anywhere early in the game say first world where you see it? I want to check into it myself. it'll probably be a day or two though because of bloodborne.

Yrael

I'm testing Super Mario 3D Land on my IPS n3DS XL right now, but I can't see/haven't noticed any colourful banding artifacts like that...which level is that? I want to see what it looks like on my screen using the same environment for the best possible comparison.

Top Bottom