• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max Game Informer Details

Ooccoo

Why do I have the feeling this game will fly under the radar of most gamers? It seems good but I can't help but feel that Mad Max doesn't have the resonance it once had.

Cardon

Starting to feel more optimistic about this since a lot of those new details sound interesting.. Hopefully we'll get a new trailer before Fury Road is released to capitalize on the general hype and interest in the film.

SJRB

Gold Member
Starting to feel more optimistic about this since a lot of those new details sound interesting.. Hopefully we'll get a new trailer before Fury Road is released to capitalize on the general hype and interest in the film.

It still kind of baffles me that they aren't releasing this in tandem with the movie.

Haven't they been working on this for like 5 years? It should be pretty much done by now. I remember rumors from well over a year ago that the game was already done but it was shelved to release alongside the movie [which was delayed quite a bit].

Simo

The FB page seems to indicate new footage coming at the end of the month but it could be until E3 when we really see more of it and likely if it's good generate more interest.

I doubt the fiasco around MGSV has done anything but for me personally and not knowing whats going on with that or if Konami has gotten their hands involved directly with the game and changed stuff, I cancelled my CE in favor of just getting Mad Max that day.

Haven't they been working on this for like 5 years? It should be pretty much done by now. I remember rumors from well over a year ago that the game was already done but it was shelved to release alongside the movie [which was delayed quite a bit].

Since 2008 yeah. Originally the game came about when the movie was going to be an anime and Cory Barlog (who had just begun work on God of War III) was brought on board to create and direct the game which would serve as a direct tie-in to the movie as well as help set up a studio under George Miller's company wing.

However, Warner Bros. came on board to distribute and fund the movie so the live action got the go ahead to start filming in 2010 which bumped up the game schedule and with no team or in house studio WB and Barlog took it to Avalanche. Everything seemed fine and despite filming for the movie not getting underway development of the game continued.

Then in 2012 when filming actually began for the movie, Barlog left the project with Frank Rooke taking over and it looks like Rooke and Avalanche hit the reset switch to start with their own ideas and take on the Mad Max universe while still incorporating elements from the new movie without actually being a tie-in. Similar to the Arkham games and what they did with Batman.

I know we can't post scans so hopefully this'll be ok but just a few of the new screens that I cropped and resized from the originals just show off the tar pits, other location and Max with some of his new gear/upgrades..
2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Game Informer also finished off the week with a new video interview with the team that shows off new screens including the vantage balloon:
Exploring the deadly world of Mad Max

Simo

Game Informer finished off their month long coverage with a Q&A podcast with game director Frank Rooke and the director of narrative design Odd Ahlgren. Questions came from fans and gamers that submitted them on GI.com:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2015/03/30/special-edition-podcast-mad-max-game.aspx

Points of interest:
  • First Person mode for driving is quite something. It was originally implemented to give players another choice of playing but is something that took off really well and has been worked on since Game Informer tried it.
  • Yeah, the Wasteland you're in is Australia...without saying it's Australia. lol
  • No aerial vehicles. Just ground based.
  • You can customize and upgrade Max like his jacket and other gear. You change Max's appearance like hairstyles or beards.
  • Max's shotgun and the sniper rifle on the Opus are the only firearms you wield.
  • Finding points of interest with require to actually find them, they don't just magically appear on your map.
  • Chumbucket isn't the only sidekick or companion that will help Max over the course of the game.
  • They were cagey on if or how long you could drive the legendary Black on Black V8 Interceptor. They said it had to be "earned" so it looks like you can get or build the car again despite losing it at the beginning of the game.
  • There are no "safe zones" in the game and even settlements or hideouts have to be "earned", IE freed from enemy occupation and upgraded.
  • They had no clue about "The Road Warrior" DLC that Sony announced at E3 2013 during the game's reveal. Of course that would be my question I submitted and doesn't get a answer! lol
  • Big E3 presence. So looks like we might not get any new footage until June though..:(

abadguy

Banned
So, Scrotus and the Thunderpoon.... got it.

Anyway, I'm really on board with this whole making 80s movies into games thing going on lately, so I'm keeping an eye on this.

As far as names of characters in MM go those are pretty standard to be honest. I wish they had went a bit more "out there" with the main bad guy's name. I mean going from names like "Toe Cutter" and "Lord Humungous" to "Scrotus"...

Simo

I forgot 2 big points that the Avalanche guys talked about...
  • Gyrocopter DLC. Everyone keeps asking so it might be something they could tool or add for DLC down the road.
  • Maximum Max mode. A ultra hard, more "Survival/Hardcode mode", difficulty. They've seen requests about it from gamers and it's been something the team has been talking about and looking in to doing for release.

DOWN

Banned
Any word on how the size compares to Just Cause 2? Since its cross gen, I doubt it's any bigger (yes, yes, now current gen but the core development was cross gen so still cross gen tech).

Simo

Any word on how the size compares to Just Cause 2? Since its cross gen, I doubt it's any bigger (yes, yes, now current gen but the core development was cross gen so still cross gen tech).

They don't say really. They mostly tried to emphasize that the world is big but their buzzword is "density" as in they're trying to fill the wasteland with interesting locations and things to do without being overly huge I guess.

Hey can anybody rip these Flash movies/gifs whatever they are on the official site?
http://www.madmaxgame.com/en/home#

If you leave the main page alone or click on the 4 tabs in the middle the screen shifts to a Flash movie/gif and the last tab or page is actually all new footage from the game. lol

DOWN

Banned
They don't say really. They mostly tried to emphasize that the world is big but their buzzword is "density" as in they're trying to fill the wasteland with interesting locations and things to do without being overly huge I guess.

Hey can anybody rip these Flash movies/gifs whatever they are on the official site?
http://www.madmaxgame.com/en/home#

If you leave the main page alone or click on the 4 tabs in the middle the screen shifts to a Flash movie/gif and the last tab or page is actually all new footage from the game. lol

Crap. Density is my most bothersome issue with games that are supposed to be in big open worlds. They don't give you a spot to feel like you've left civilization and are wandering the wild or desert, no manmade landmarks in sight. I am somewhat worried by the idea of there always being a tower, shipwrecks, oil pumps, etc. in sight as so far that's what it seems to be in the videos but I want some of those movie moments where it's looking like an endless highway and desert as you drive 90mph or you roam in the desert a couple minutes before any sign someone lives or has lived around there.

Top Bottom