• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X DF Face-Off (PS4/XBO/PC)

T.O.P

Banned
Sucks about the 1-2 frames drops

But the game itself looks ace on X1, maybe they'll fix it with a patch at some point

Main problem is still the fuckin netcode tho :(

thelastword

Banned
I know this uses FXAA, but is everything FXAA by default for DF, no wonder they got the project cars AA method wrong. They also didn't even want to admit that 1886 used MSAA even though the dev said so and it's highlighted in the PDF. FXAA or bust for DF it seems.

I also don't know why they have a problem with 30fps cutscenes, you're mostly not controlling the game during cutscenes or fmv and neither are you during the up close xrays etc..It makes sense to boost the detail and pp in these close-ups since they are mostly visual in nature.

Seanspeed

Banned
I know this uses FXAA, but is everything FXAA by default for DF, no wonder they got the project cars AA method wrong. They also didn't even want to admit that 1886 used MSAA even though the dev said so and it's highlighted in the PDF. FXAA or bust for DF it seems.
DF were unclear how *much* MSAA was being used with The Order. That's all.

And it just so happens that FXAA is the most commonly used AA solution on consoles.

I also don't know why they have a problem with 30fps cutscenes, you're mostly not controlling the game during cutscenes or fmv and neither are you during the up close xrays etc..It makes sense to boost the detail and pp in these close-ups since they are mostly visual in nature.
Because regardless of the lack of gameplay implications, changing from 60fps to 30fps and back can be jarring.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not a PRO but it's hard to me for understand why a very litte drop on frame rate becomes a problem. Sounds extremely perfectionist bother with that.

Maybe for play in PRO level is relevant, I really don't know.

It's a tech related article. Who do you think this sorts of analysis is aimed at?

Fitts

DF doesn't mention it, but can anyone whose played both the PS4 and XB1 versions comment on if the latter also has crushed blacks? It could just be coincidence based on the capture devices used, but every time I've watched the XB1 version on Twitch a bunch of detail was lost And the game just looks, well, ugly whereas the PS4 version always looks totally fine on stream.

Serenity

They way they describe, it's not that it's a problem, it's just that one is still preferable to the other, even if just very marginally. Some people are indeed sensitive to this stuff.

Ironically, if the situations were reversed, and it was XB1 very marginally better on framerate and DF made any noise about it, there would be outrage. But not so here.

No the outrage would come only if they said both versions are on par despite one having much better resolution all the time but slightly more frame drops in only rare situations.

Percy

Banned
XB1 has worse resolution and frame drops during gameplay? Yowch... guess no one in the pro FGC will be wanting to play that version then.

Caayn

Dat first
fanboy
post.

Why not just go 900 on One? Killer Instinct looks and runs great.
Having to only scale the image in one direction results in a better image then when you're scaling the image in both directions.

Also 1360*1080 (1.468.800 )is slightly more pixels than 1600*900(1.440.000). I doubt that changing the resolution to 1600*900 would fix the two frames it drops.

Mastperf

He said it looks like 1600 x 900 but he will be doing a full head-to-head including the pc version in the future. He let people know the xb1 version was sub 1080p and gave a quick frame-rate analysis. I'd say that's pretty valuable info for those trying to decide which version to buy.

I think B3D were the ones who mentioned that resolution.

Beyond3D user shares the following screenshot and stated: "It might be 1344 or 1360x1080 or thereabo

NX gamer

NXGamer says:

"on PS4, Mortal Kombat runs at 1080/60 during the fighting locked, whereas Xbox One version runs at Presumably 900/60 during fighting locked". Cinematics for both are in 30 FPS with a few drops and rises here and there. Gameplay drops frames ONLY after the match is done, likely a loading issue. You can check out the full tech analysis of NXGamer in the footage below.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/18595-m...esolution-tech-analysis-native-1080p-ps4.html

Mawlok

Behind the scenes at Netherrealm making the netcode.

blurst_of_times.png

Replace the typewriters with crayons

Mechazawa

I had no idea the 30fps x-rays/menus/pre-post fight banter was intentional. This whole time I thought it was some weird PC issue.

It's jarring as fuck.

SMZC

the game is partially let down by the 30fps performance cap during X-rays and fatalities

This confirms that, also on consoles, said 30fps cap was put not due to possible performance issues, but to the so-called "cinematic feel". Such a pity to see NetherRealm get behind such a silly and downright stupid idea. I'm enjoying the game a lot, but this is something that really taints the whole package for me. There's this huge disconnection between gameplay and character intros/fatalities/X-rays; as if they didn't belong together. It doesn't feel like a consist experience; rather, like they were tacked on together. The worst part of it all is that 30fps is never as noticeable in its lack of smoothness as when you put it right next to 60fps for comparison. I can accept games that offer a consist 30fps experience, but when you're constantly jumping between 30fps and 60fps over the course of a single 3 minute match (even if the gameplay itself is always 60fps), the 30fps parts feel really, REALLY shitty.

I really hope NetherRealm patches this, both on consoles and PC, or at least gives us an option to decide what framerate we want in those scenes. MK9 on consoles had all scenes running at 60fps, and it felt so great even with a few slowdowns here and there during X-Rays and fatalities.

Corpekata

Banned
Wonder if the 30 FPS movies thing is an Unreal Engine thing. Most of the recent games that I can think of that had 60 FPS gameplay (either across the board or just on PC) that had 30 FPS cinematics across the board were UE3 like the Batman games.

SMZC

Wonder if the 30 FPS movies thing is an Unreal Engine thing. Most of the recent games that I can think of that had 60 FPS gameplay (either across the board or just on PC) that had 30 FPS cinematics across the board were UE3 like the Batman games.

MK9 used the same engine, I believe, and all X-Rays and fatalities were 60fps (with some slowdowns on PS3, though).

stryke

He said it looks like 1600 x 900 but he will be doing a full head-to-head including the pc version in the future. He let people know the xb1 version was sub 1080p and gave a quick frame-rate analysis. I'd say that's pretty valuable info for those trying to decide which version to buy.

He has the privilege of owning the game and looking at raw footage. I had to rely on someone else's screenshot that wasn't convenient for counting and I still figured it was 1080 pixels vertically without spending even 5 minutes.

I'm not an expert on pixel counting but I knew I could say that much instead of making assumptions.

It is probably a performance consideration given the higher detail models, and other effects. Which is a shame... because those things don't matter on PC.

thelastword

Banned
DF were unclear how *much* MSAA was being used with The Order. That's all.

And it just so happens that FXAA is the most commonly used AA solution on consoles.
So you're basically admitting that it's a guessing game on DF's part, I think we agree on this then.

Seanspeed said:
Because regardless of the lack of gameplay implications, changing from 60fps to 30fps and back can be jarring.
Not really, you have no control over fatalities, xrays, cutscenes etc..when they're initiated/engaged. Since fatalities are close ups and a huge trademark of the series it makes sense to make them as visually detailed as possible for the spectacle. There's no judder in gameplay, that's the most important thing.

For the faceoff, it's valid information, but I don't think anyone who plays MKX professionally is going to complain about 30fps richly detailed fmv etc.. that they don't control. A bigger issue with the cutscenes to me is the crushed blacks on PC, an even bigger issue to me is the frame drops during gameplay on the XBONE, I saw a drop to 56fps on the xbone frametest video, these are all higher on the scale of troubling issues to me. No one will want to play MKX on the Xbone at a tournament because of it, I can guarantee you that.

Javin98

Banned
So NXGamer's analysis was completely in line with DF's. I knew he was right when he said the XB1 version is upscaled. Also, nice to see 8x AF on the consoles, especially PS4 for a game running on Unreal Engine 3. Hopefully 8x AF becomes the standard this year.

Seanspeed

Banned
So you're basically admitting that it's a guessing game on DF's part, I think we agree on this then.
It's not always possible to be absolutely, 100% certain in some situations. This goes for anyone, not just Digital Foundry. That is a far cry from it being a 'guessing game', though.

Either way, the fact that they got the AA solution right here makes your entire little comment totally irrelevant to the article.

Not really, you have no control over fatalities, xrays, cutscenes etc..when they're initiated/engaged. Since fatalities are close ups and a huge trademark of the series it makes sense to make them as visually detailed as possible for the spectacle. There's no judder in gameplay, that's the most important thing.

For the faceoff, it's valid information, but I don't think anyone who plays MKX professionally is going to complain about 30fps richly detailed fmv etc.. that they don't control. A bigger issue with the cutscenes to me is the crushed blacks on PC, an even bigger issue to me is the frame drops during gameplay on the XBONE, I saw a drop to 56fps on the xbone frametest video, these are all higher on the scale of troubling issues to me. No one will want to play MKX on the Xbone at a tournament because of it, I can guarantee you that.
It's jarring whether you're in control or not. The camera movement suddenly getting far more choppy is certainly something that you will notice. No, it doesn't affect gameplay, but the point is that it is not ideal.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
From a multi-platform perspective, the PS4 game clearly leads the way with its native 1080p presentation and solid level of performance during gameplay - outside of the slight judder in story cut-scenes we're looking at a locked 30 and 60fps throughout.

I knew I wasnt crazy. I notice the "judder" when playingng the campaign during cutscenes. It fucking sucks because it's so noticeable. So I asked my friend and of course he didn't notice anything.

So NXGamer's analysis was completely in line with DF's. I knew he was right when he said the XB1 version is upscaled. Also, nice to see 8x AF on the consoles, especially PS4 for a game running on Unreal Engine 3. Hopefully 8x AF becomes the standard this year.

But he was wrong? This is the 4rd or 4th time in this thread where someone has said "he was right." When.. he wasn't.

It seems odd to actively change history like that.

But back on topic, what are the chances of having the 30fps BS on PC being eliminated in a patch? Are people complaining enough on the steam forums?

From playing the PC version first hand, that is the worst.

Still yet to load my Xbox One version. Disappointing all this 30FPS cutscene stuff.

VladTepes

Banned
I'm confused how the PS4 can possibly beat the PC version since on PC you can go beyond 1080p and customize the graphics to your hearts content, If you're getting crushed blacks or whatever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Man, you're really unfair sometimes. When I'm not sure about something, I phrase it as such. It's simply not possible for anyone outside of the developers to be 100% certain on issues like this with some games. There is sub-pixel breakup in some scenes in The Order that left me uncertain about the AA method being used. Even Durante echoed those thoughts. Even still, I think it's possibly the best looking game I've ever played.

I also happen to have an issue with 30fps cutscenes in MKX as I feel it breaks the flow of the action especially during X-rays. It's jarring when the frame-rate bounces between 30 and 60fps. I also find the stuttery nature of the pre-rendered scenes to be highly annoying.

Just for the record, since you love to drag out fanboy accusations, here's my current physical collection for both systems. This doesn't include the many more digital PS4 games I have (in comparison to the scant few Xbox games). Not to mention my 100+ PS3 games, 250+ PS2 titles, and who knows how many PS1 titles. I don't even want to count my Steam games, though... :X

Man, you're really unfair sometimes. When I'm not sure about something, I phrase it as such. It's simply not possible for anyone outside of the developers to be 100% certain on issues like this with some games. There is sub-pixel breakup in some scenes in The Order that left me uncertain about the AA method being used. Even Durante echoed those thoughts. Even still, I think it's possibly the best looking game I've ever played.

I also happen to have an issue with 30fps cutscenes in MKX as I feel it breaks the flow of the action especially during X-rays. It's jarring when the frame-rate bounces between 30 and 60fps. I also find the stuttery nature of the pre-rendered scenes to be highly annoying.

Just for the record, since you love to drag out fanboy accusations, here's my current physical collection for both systems. This doesn't include the many more digital PS4 games I have (in comparison to the scant few Xbox games). Not to mention my 100+ PS3 games, 250+ PS2 titles, and who knows how many PS1 titles.

I notice that your xb1 games are on the right hand side of this picture. And the Ps4 games are below it or to the left. AKA, they are sinister or being subjugated. AKA xb1 is in the right and above, god-like if you would. AKA DF has an obvious xb1 bias.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
XB1 has worse resolution and frame drops during gameplay? Yowch... guess no one in the pro FGC will be wanting to play that version then.
Err the situation is not nearly as dramatic as you're trying to make it sound. As others said the game looks great on X1, Im not a pro but I haven't noticed a single frame drop during game play. Oh and if people like money they'll have to play on X1 at least till Evo.

Madness

You don't really know what you're talking about. It all depends on what tournaments and what events. Leagues like MLG and ESL have good relationships/partnerships with Microsoft, primarily due to Halo, CoD etc. That matters much more than which 'version' is best.

In fact, the first Mortal Kombat X Pro League by ESL will only be Xbox One in NA and EU and PC will be for the eastern European, Russian/CIS bloc. Most pros will go where the money and tournaments are. Obviously EVO 2015 has chosen ultra SFIV and MKX on PS4 as what they want.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm confused how the PS4 can possibly beat the PC version since on PC you can go beyond 1080p and customize the graphics to your hearts content, If you're getting crushed blacks or whatever.

Don't underestimate the powers of High Voltage to fuck things up.

dark10x

I take it HV is a pretty technically inept dev then, eh?
Never even heard of them myself.
Their most failure? Zone of the Enders HD. It was so bad Konami had to hire a different company (the amazing HexaDrive) to come in and fix the damn game (which meant re-doing it 100% from scratch).

Merkunt

Honestly, frame rate drops in fighting games, be it as small as 2 frames, is still a big issue in my opinion of course.

dr_rus

Yeah, I'm looking at screenshots posted on GAF and I just don't see this "PS4 is better than PC" in them.

dark10x

I don't think posting that pic is a good idea, opening yourself up to biased remarks in the future. Though my collection looks similar in ratio lol.
Well, to be fair, I just buy the better versions of the games. :p

I actually have a massive original Xbox collection as well and plenty of 360 games. I just love collecting.

Really, though, I recommend what's best. Like, in the case of Dragon Age, I think it's better on Xbox One. No bias there. I tell it like it is. Most of the time, though, multiplats are better on PS4.

My real bias - Sega consoles. How I miss thee. :(

Top Bottom