• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Megasoum

Banned
Excuse my ignorance but as l'm paying for a new bathroom, my wife is a bit more pliant to big ticket gaming purchases.

So l'd like a wheel on BONE to play PCars. What's a good option at around £200?

Thanks for any assistance.

I don't know how much it is in the UK nowadays but the Thrustmasters TX is pretty much the only option on the XB1.

Excuse my ignorance but as l'm paying for a new bathroom, my wife is a bit more pliant to big ticket gaming purchases.

So l'd like a wheel on BONE to play PCars. What's a good option at around £200?

Thanks for any assistance.

There are 3 options
Force feed back
Mad Catz $399
Thrustmaster TX ~$299

Non Force feedback
Thrustmaster 458 spider $100

Spend the extra $100 over your budget and get the TX

Zeknurn

Yeah if you're only going to do PC the G27 gives you the most bang for your buck. There are rumors of a new Logitech wheel but it will most likely be more expensive.

Where does this rumor about Logitech making a new wheel come from? I see everyone repeating it but I can't find anything substantial.

le-seb

Where does this rumor about Logitech making a new wheel come from? I see everyone repeating it but I can't find anything substantial.
It's just coming from a lot of speculations.

There was Project CARS announcing its list of supported wheels last summer, and saying that more were coming. Some people thought this would mean console support and/or a new wheel coming from Logitech. Finally, they added console support for some of Fanatec wheels.

There were Logitech fiscal results for years 2014 and 2015 showing the group was starting to get better (after dropping many of its activities including console peripherals by the end of 2013). Some people saw this as a sign they would reenter this business.

There was this GAF member meeting Gran Turismo's creator, and being told by Mighty Kaz himself that GT7 would offer support for legacy Logitech wheels on PS4, and that a new official GT wheel would be coming. Some people read that as 'a new Logitech wheel is coming', because reasons (the latest official GT wheel is Thrustmaster's T500RS.)

Maybe I've missed a fact/rumor, but I think that's about it.

I think people just can't accept Logitech stopped producing peripherals they didn't make enough money with.
I'm still bitter they dropped their Squeezebox audio network players at the same time, though, so I can understand that.

Zeknurn

There was Project CARS announcing its list of supported wheels last summer, and saying that more were coming. Some people thought this would mean console support and/or a new wheel coming from Logitech. Finally, they added console support for some of Fanatec wheels.

There were Logitech fiscal results for years 2014 and 2015 showing the group was starting to get better (after dropping many of its activities including console peripherals by the end of 2013). Some people saw this as a sign they would reenter this business.

There was this GAF member meeting Gran Turismo's creator, and being told by Mighty Kaz himself that GT7 would offer support for legacy Logitech wheels on PS4, and that a new official GT wheel would be coming. Some people read that as 'a new Logitech wheel is coming', because reasons (the latest official GT wheel is Thrustmaster's T500RS.)

I think people just can't accept Logitech stopped producing peripherals they didn't make enough money with.
I'm still bitter they dropped their Squeezebox audio network players at the same time, though, so I can understand that.

Thanks for the extensive round-up. I had a feeling that there was nothing to the rumour.

To be more specific with my meet up with Kaz and translator san, i know this is not good PR for them, but to give context: i said to them i was going to buy a new wheel and all the pods at Sema had the T500RS, so i was tempted to buy that model.

Without putting any words on their mouths the impression i got was "do not buy this wheel for GT7". They were so certain about it i think it was the only non vague comment on our conversation. We didn´t talked specific about Logitech, i just told i had a G25 and kaz himself told me it would work before translator san could even translate.

My take on all of that was that the compatibility issue was a very discussed subject inside of PD, because every other question i asked was given a PR like quote or a vague answer, but the wheel situation was very, very clear. They didn´t told which wheel was coming for GT7 but made it very clear that in my case an upgrade was not necessary for now.

I decided to believe them and i´m not buying a new wheel anytime soon. With GT7 being two years away my G25 will have to last until then.

Feel free to ask any questions, i feel like an idiot for not asking more and more questions, but the BMW PR staff was really pushing it and i had already 10 minutes or so with them, couldn´t get more out of it.

le-seb

In case it's not clear, I'm not doubting your story.

I can believe PD may include support for legacy wheels in GT7 once the Immersion patents have expired (and I don't feel like GT7 will release before the end of the year, so this should clear this issue).
Polyphony Digital and Logitech were working closely at a time, so I suppose PD has access to the low level technical information required to make a driver for their wheels.

The fact that GT7 may also come with a new official wheel is not a surprise.
The last official one - the T500RS - is starting to get a bit old, and lacks PS4 native compatibility.
So it's very likely it'll lose its status of official GT wheel on the PS4.

What I'm really not seeing is Logitech producing this new wheel, and thus making a comeback to the console business.
I simply can't believe they even have a plan to release a new wheel at the moment, when the two models they're offering for sale were released in 2007 and 2009, respectively.

Jilt

Okay guys, 1 day till release, so, let'sretweet the living daylights out of this!!

https://twitter.com/Jiltjes/status/595858923028099073

CETqiEuVAAAYtHB.png:large

_machine

We've been over this time and time again, but SMS can't implement the support. I really can't speak much on the matter without breaking NDA's, but the matter really isn't a dev matter at the moment.
Everyone has always been technically capable of doing it, the question is, who's going to pay the licence fee for doing so?
Once again edging on what I can or can't say, but that's not really true...

Jilt

Everyone has always been technically capable of doing it, the question is, who's going to pay the licence fee for doing so?

We've been over this time and time again, but SMS can't implement the support. I really can't speak much on the matter without breaking NDA's, but the matter really isn't a dev matter at the moment.

I really don't care who's to blame! Just Do It!
There is a major fanbase using Logitech wheels.

Jilt

And why an NDA?
What's the deal here???!!!

But, you probably can't say....

_machine

And why an NDA?
What's the deal here???!!!

But, you probably can't say....
All I can say that I've developed for the platform, but can't disclose anything about it, but trust me, it's a very, very complicated issue and I only know a fraction of it. It sucks ass though, I've been wanting to pick up a wheel for a longtime now, but have no idea what to get and I would like the G27.

Jilt

All I can say that I've developed for the platform, but can't disclose anything about it, but trust me, it's a very, very complicated issues and I only know a fraction of it.

Okay thanks mate!

Hope it comes out one day?
I would like to know the reason for not being able to play Project CARS with my trusted G25 on the PS4.
I'll stick to AC and R3E then.... a bit of a shame...

_machine

Okay thanks mate!

Hope it comes out one day?
I would like to know the reason for not being able to play Project CARS with my trusted G25 on the PS4.
I'll stick to AC and R3E then.... a bit of a shame...
I do hope so, but I really have no idea if it'll ever happen.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So can anyone recommend a wheel for PS4 and Project Cars?

Also would that wheel come with some stand so l can use it from a sofa?

Thrustmaster T500RS seems to be the only one and would work on Driveclub wouldn't it? Needs to work on PC as well in case l decide against the PS4 version of Project Cars.

ruttyboy

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, if the money was there to make it worthwhile, a way would be found, I refuse to believe that it's a technical problem.

_machine

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, if the money was there to make it worthwhile, a way would be found, I refuse to believe that it's a technical problem.
Well I'm sure you could solve the problem by throwing millions around, but reasonably the answer really is no.

_machine

So is it a technical problem, or a money problem? If it can be solved with money, it's a money problem, no?

Anyway the whole thing sucks.
Simply put, as far as I know it's a clusterfuck of everything. I meant it more like buying every company involved and then making them do it could solve it, but realistically it's many different problems thrown on top of each other.

le-seb

Simply put, as far as I know it's a clusterfuck of everything.
It didn't seem so complicated for Fanatec and Thrustmaster.
It's just because they still support their devices on consoles, maybe?

As long as Logitech doesn't give a fuck, nobody can or will give a fuck for them.

ruttyboy

Simply put, as far as I know it's a clusterfuck of everything. I meant it more like buying every company involved and then making them do it could solve it, but realistically it's many different problems thrown on top of each other.

Ah I see. So it's an insurmountable money problem...

Thanks for your input by the way, I (along with others here) have been following this sorry situation since the beginning trying to figure out just what is going on.

Without asking you to break an NDA, are you able to comment on whether the immersion patent expiring will solve this?

_machine

Without asking you to break an NDA, are you able to comment on whether the immersion patent expiring will solve this?
It's not really something that concerns me luckily, but on the other hand I know next to nothing about it apart from the legal standards, but it's no doubt a factor in the matter. I have no idea whether it'll change anything though, but it at least a chance of solving some of the problems.

Why aren't these racing game developers offering basic (no shifter / FFB) Logitech support? The immersion patent can't be the cause as Gaijin proves. So Sony must be the root of this problem, if you're developing a racing and you want to offer this support you can sod off because it doesn't fly with their licensing deals with the other wheel manufacturers?

I'd much rather play with no FFB and paddle shifters than be forced to play with the crappy PS4 pad or upgrade. I want Project Cars but with no basic G27 support it's just not happening :(

amar212

So Sony must be the root of this problem, if you're developing a racing and you want to offer this support you can sod off because it doesn't fly with their licensing deals with the other wheel manufacturers?
:(

Sony is not the root of the problem, period. I know you would love to have one instance to blame, but it does not work lile that. Machine is tied with NDA, I am tied with relations to my sources, but I can tell - as I told many times in various threads - it is complicated situation.

What I would wonder is what will happen with "legacy" support if Logitech is indeed planning its comeback to gaming peripheral market.. I find that theorethical answer very... Controversial.

I didn't know Logitech wheels were working with force feedback in War Thunder.

The only thing they've proven is that Logitech's security chip excuse was bullshit.
Not that we didn't know that earlier.

They don't, so this immersion thing can't be used as an excuse as to why racing devs aren't offering basic Logitech support in their games. So it must be on all on Sony blocking them from offering it, anything else just doesn't make sense.

Sony or pubs/devs wanting to lose money? I'm edging my bets on scum Sony.

Hint at what the complications are and why they didn't affect Gaijin?

le-seb

They don't, so this immersion thing can't be used as an excuse as to why racing devs aren't offering basic Logitech support in their games.
But War Thunder isn't offering basic Logitech support, it's offering generic USB support.
Maybe that's just what you should be asking for to the developers, if that's all you really want.

Gaijin doesn't need permission from Logitech to include support for generic USB devices.
The fact Logitech wheels work is a side effect, in this case.
They never advertised their game to be working with Logitech wheels.

Asking for official device support, even if it's only partial, is another whole story with a bunch of contracts and legal stuff involved.

amar212

Look Wax, it is not that simple, period.

Look back to Sony vs. Immersion case, read the plantiff, read the verdict. Sony paid 200+ million $ for licensing rights for Immersion patents for PS2/PS3 and that was when negotiated. The cost would be astronomical without negotiation.

Microsoft had to pay to Immersion as well.

Also, some patents changed hands since 2001. Also, some owners changed since 2001. Logitech today is not owned by the same entity as in 2001-2010 era. Also, there are various patents in legacy wheels besides infamous FFB SDK/API.

It is not simple thing. You can blame like 5 different instances, but Sony should not be there.

robatw

Hi guys, 2 questions.

I bought Project Cars for PC and connected my G27 again.

1. Where can i find the G27 Profiler - don't seem to find it on the logitech page,
2. What are the optimal Settings for Project Cars, i wanna start right when it is out.

ruttyboy

Hi guys, 2 questions.

I bought Project Cars for PC and connected my G27 again.

1. Where can i find the G27 Profiler - don't seem to find it on the logitech page,
2. What are the optimal Settings for Project Cars, i wanna start right when it is out.
You have to download 5.10.

There are different versions for 32 and 64 bit OS.

32-bit install: http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/lgs510.exe
64-bit install: http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/lgs510_x64.exe

bombshell

Cross-posting from the Project CARS crowdsourcing thread.

So the lovely guys at Gamersyde just had a PS4 livestream with Andy Tudor:

http://www.twitch.tv/gamersyde/v/4756621

Among many questions they asked whether Logitech wheel support for the PS4 version is possible in the future. (at 49:30)

The answer from Andy: "Our list of supported wheels are not final, please hang in there [laughs]... We have the answer, but we just can't tell it right now".

That's positive, right? :)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
yeah that put a smile on my face.
it sounded that its a safe bet that logitech wheels will be supported at some point.

Top Bottom