• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maggie Gyllenhaal: At 37 I was 'too old' for role opposite 55-year-old man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Maggie Gyllenhaal: At 37 I was 'too old' for role opposite 55-year-old man

80606123-3b04-4741-99b0-21888b491d2b-620x372.jpeg

Maggie Gyllenhaal was told by a Hollywood producer that she was too old, at 37, to play the love interest of a 55-year-old man, the Oscar-nominated actor has revealed.

In an interview with The Wrap, Gyllenhaal said her shock at finding herself “over the hill” in her mid 30s soon segued into derision fostered by the farcical nature of the situation.

“There are things that are really disappointing about being an actress in Hollywood that surprise me all the time,” she said. “I’m 37 and I was told recently I was too old to play the lover of a man who was 55. It was astonishing to me. It made me feel bad, and then it made feel angry, and then it made me laugh.”

Gyllenhaal told The Wrap that despite her recent experience - she did not name the production nor the older male star - she remained hopeful that Hollywood was slowly becoming a better place for women to work. “A lot of actresses are doing incredible work right now, playing real women, complicated women,” she said. “I don’t feel despairing at all. And I’m more looking with hope for something fascinating.”

Recently, new Bond movie Spectre won praise (not least from the actor herself) for casting 50-year-old Monica Bellucci opposite 47-year-old Daniel Craig. However the movie’s other two “Bond girls”, Léa Seydoux and Stephanie Sigman, are both in their late 20s, and the long-running spy saga has also made a habit of pitching 007 against love interests half his age. Roger Moore, then 57, romanced 29-year-old Tanya Roberts in the Englishman’s final outing as Bond, 1985’s A View to a Kill.

Don't cast me if old.

I'm blown away that Monica Bellucci is now 50.

Maggie has always looked at least a handful of years older than her actual age. It sucks that she's feeling aged out of roles, though. But, yeah, Jake took all of the young genes.

pj

Banned
Still a problem in Hollywood even if it's "too old looking." Older guys and younger women is fine but not the other way around?

Is it hollywood's problem or real life's problem? The ratio of old dudes dating young chicks to old ladies dating young studs has to be at least 100:1

soleil

Banned
She looks really old though. Looks like she's 50 herself
So someone who looks 50 is too old to be paired with someone who is 55?
Is it hollywood's problem or real life's problem? The ratio of old dudes dating young chicks to old ladies dating young studs has to be at least 100:1
1. False dichotomy. It can be both. Doesn't mean Hollywood has to perpetuate it, though.
2. In real life there may be more older dudes dating younger women than the other way around, but REFUSING to cast a woman because she looks like she's only a few years younger than the guy? That's purposely enforcing the problem to keep existing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's totally a huge Hollywood problem. I hate it. I can't stand seeing all these new movies with some older man and then they cast someone 20-30 years younger as their wife/girlfriend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Still a problem in Hollywood even if it's "too old looking." Older guys and younger women is fine but not the other way around?

Culturally, its been that way forever and let's be honest, it still is. Its far less common to see younger men with older women.

(Obviously, 50 year old men with 20s women isn't really that common unless the man in question is an oil tycoon or something.)

Which is influenced by Hollywood.

This has been truth in television for thousands of years. Its not Hollywood.

soleil

Banned
Depends on the role really doesn't it?

I feel like not much can really be said either way about this unless we know what the role they were casting for was.
But in general, looking at many different roles, it's a pattern.
Culturally, its been that way forever and let's be honest, it still is. Its far less common to see younger men with older women.
Culturally people only dated within their own race. It's been that way forever and let's be honest, for a lot of people out there, it still is. Its far less common to see interracial couples than same-race couples.

pj

Banned
1. False dichotomy. It can be both. Doesn't mean Hollywood has to perpetuate it, though.
2. In real life there may be more older dudes dating younger women than the other way around, but REFUSING to cast a woman because she looks like she's only a few years younger than the guy? That's purposely enforcing the problem to keep existing.

It's not hollywood's responsibility to correct societies problems. If they made a movie about a game development studio, should they cast women in every role to not perpetuate the boys club stereotype of game development?

Also, we don't have the whole story, I doubt it was just because she looked "too old." If anything, I think it was a slightly nicer way of saying "not attractive enough"

The man desires aesthetically pleasing women (good genes to pass on). A woman desires security (physical, emotional, financial) to ensure her and her children's well being.

Hence women generally prefer older men who have their shit together.

At least I figure that's how it works on some primal level.

Blader

It's totally a huge Hollywood problem. I hate it. I can't stand seeing all these new movies with some older man and then they cast someone 20-30 years younger as their wife/girlfriend.

Emma Stone has two of these coming out just this summer alone!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But in general, looking at many different roles, it's a pattern.

Culturally people only dated within their own race. It's been that way forever and let's be honest, for a lot of people out there, it still is. Its far less common to see interracial couples than same-race couples.

I think the taboo on interracial relationships at least within the US is less pronounced than it used to be.

Ponn

Banned

I could never get into that movie Entrapment because of this. Was watching Slither the other day and was thinking the same thing with Elizabeth Banks and Michael Rooker.

soleil

Banned
It's not hollywood's responsibility to correct societies problems. If they made a movie about a game development studio, should they cast women in every role to not perpetuate the boys club stereotype of game development?

Also, we don't have the whole story, I doubt it was just because she looked "too old." If anything, I think it was a slightly nicer way of saying "not attractive enough"
It's everyone's responsibility to at least not perpetuate society's problems. Refusing to cast women who look too old is purposely perpetuating the problem. It isn't just "not solving" the problem. It's purposely making sure the problem continues to exist.

And it's not just about that one role. It's about patterns in our society, and this is a tangible example. It wouldn't be newsworthy if it was really about just one role.

I think the taboo on interracial relationships at least within the US is less pronounced than it used to be.
And that is in thanks to people purposely fighting the idea that you have to continue a pattern just because "it's always been that way."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom