• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assembly (Rift/Vive/Morpheus - now in UE4) trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuc9Y811Pkk

http://www.ndreams.com/blog/2015/the-assembly-re-launch-blog/

The Assembly is a thrilling adventure in VR where there are two sides to everything. An experience where perspectives shift, the right choice is never clear, and a question is always left open: when does the end justify the means?

In this immersive adventure game, you will be challenged by moral dilemmas as you uncover the secrets of The Assembly, a mysterious organisation that has been experimenting deep below the Nevada Desert. Hidden from the world, unconstrained by government scrutiny and society’s morals, this collective of scientists, engineers and academics are free to experiment as they choose.

But what is The Assembly hiding? What will it sacrifice in the name of progress? And how far will it go to keep its operations secret?

As a lethal avian virus threatens to escape the confines of its underground laboratory, a chain of events puts The Assembly’s existence on the line. Play as two individuals – Cal Pearson and Madeleine Stone - each with their own perspectives and motivations. For better or worse, the impossible decisions ahead will transform not just their own future, but that of entire nations.

Having honed our skills over the past year in the fast-moving world of VR development, we redesigned The Assembly following its announcement at E3 2014 with the full use of VR in mind.

We’ve rebuilt the game from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4 and continued to enhance every aspect of the game, from its graphical fidelity to the scope and scale of its gameplay and narrative. The Assembly also features a reworked story by Rob Morgan, lead writer and voice director on the augmented reality title Wonderbook: Book of Spells and SCE’s VR demo, The Deep.

We’re currently targeting the launch window of the Oculus Rift (Windows PC), Project Morpheus (PlayStation 4) and – we’re pleased to announce – HTC Vive (Steam VR) for The Assembly’s release.

article-image-assembly-reannounce-05.jpg

article-image-assembly-reannounce-02.jpg

article-image-assembly-reannounce-03.jpg

edit:

Polygon have just published a Q&A with the team about the game, as well as a few fresh screenshots here: The Assembly: Making moral choices in VR

We've received another couple of previews, shared below in case you'd like to have a read:

Obviously, we're especially happy with our write-up on God is a Geek!

Interview: http://vrfocus.com/archives/16507/ndreams-talks-assembly-relaunch-improvements-and-more/

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Wow, really glad you noticed our announcement!

You can find a Q&D round-up of press previews for The Assembly below, in case you're interested:

You can also find additional screenshots here: The Assembly on Pinterest

If you have any questions, just gimme a shout and I'll answer them as best I can :)

You can find a Q&D round-up of press previews for The Assembly below, in case you're interested:

If you have any questions, just gimme a shout and I'll answer them as best I can :)

So when does the game launch? :p

Peltz

The game looks gorgeous.

By the way, I'm really interested in one part of the Kotaku article:
“We saw one really cool piece of tech,” Kelion recalls. “It’s called ultrahaptics, it creates haptic feedback in the air with nothing tangible using ultrasonics. The device sits on your desk and it can create a waterfall to put your hand through, or a sphere, or a square. It’s incredible.”

How "tangible" is that experience? I don't know how else to ask it. But, surely, it doesn't feel like there are real objects there... or does it?

Alexlf

Wow, game looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing more full VR games at E3.

The game looks gorgeous.

How "tangible" is that experience? I don't know how else to ask it. But, surely, it doesn't feel like there are real objects there... or does it?

It does, but it feels really "floaty". It's hard to explain, but it does feel like something physical but "soft". The haptics I tried might have been a bit different though considering it was home made, but the principle should be the same.

EDIT:
To expand slightly, it works by overlapping a number of ultrasonic emitters that focus on points and create floating points that push back against your hand. It's pretty neat.

Monkeythumbz

So when does the game launch? :p
We intend for The Assembly to come out in the launch window for each of the three major VR headsets:
  • Sony's said Morpheus will launch during the first half of 2016.
  • Oculus Rift will ship during the first quarter of 2016.
  • HTC Vive is due out towards the end of 2015.
Looks plenty atmospheric. How does it play/control? First person movement?
Yes, it's a first-person game. The first level is on rails (no bad thing when you're getting to grips in a VR environment) and then we allow for full movement in 3D space throughout the rest of the game. Currently we have controls mapped to the PS4 joypad , but we're working to support the PS Move, HTC Vive sticks and whatever input device Oculus come up with.

Regarding the HTC Vive, we haven't integrated SteamVR Lighthouse compatibility yet - The Assembly is still a face-forward VR game - but "yet" doesn't mean "never". We just haven't got round to investigating that possibility properly yet, that's all.

Monkeythumbz

It does, but it feels really "floaty". It's hard to explain, but it does feel like something physical but "soft". The haptics I tried might have been a bit different though considering it was home made, but the principle should be the same.

EDIT:
To expand slightly, it works by overlapping a number of ultrasonic emitters that focus on points and create floating points that push back against your hand. It's pretty neat.
^this. It's amazing the cool stuff we get to explore as a VR development studio. Honestly, this is the coolest job ever - all of you should pursue careers in VR, stat.

Looks like you can navigate in and around a virus too? :eek:
Yes, that's via a 3D imaging microscope in the game. We have night-vision goggles in The Assembly too - they are what's known in the vernacular as "super cool".

Regarding the HTC Vive, we haven't integrated SteamVR Lighthouse compatibility yet - The Assembly is still a face-forward VR game - but "yet" doesn't mean "never". We just haven't got round to investigating that possibility properly yet, that's all.

Is the plan to integrate it around launch or later down the line?

I thought this was interesting

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/323cpg/ue4_now_has_updated_steamvr_support_provides/

The SteamVR SDK has a GetSeatedBoundsInfo() method that "Returns the preferred seated position and front edge of their desk". As expected, a seated experience is something Valve has been thinking of, in addition to the walking around experience we've been hearing about. What is interesting here is the use of the Chaperone system to let you know where your desk bounds are. Don't want to smack your controllers on the desk!

are you going to implement stuff like this?

Monkeythumbz

are you going to implement stuff like this?

Honest answer? IDK. At first glance it seems unlikely, but we're really only just getting started with the HTC Vive, so who knows?

At this point, all I can say is "we'll see" and that goes for you and me both!

Compsiox

Banned
Honest answer? IDK. At first glance it seems unlikely, but we're really only just getting started with the HTC Vive, so who knows?

At this point, all I can say is "we'll see" and that goes for you and me both!

So are you saying that it won't even have basic movement tracking (aside from head) for the VIVE?

Monkeythumbz

So are you saying that it won't even have basic movement tracking (aside from head) for the VIVE?
Not really, all I'm saying is that we're still in the process of figuring that stuff out. The Assembly has been in development for over a year and we were initially focused on Oculus Rift, then Project Morpheus, which is similar enough. HTC Vive is different enough that it may require another design pass; right now it's hard to say. All I can confirm today is that we're bringing the game to that device - beyond that, I'm afraid you'll need to wait for a future update,

I mean, that's why it's called development - you don't often have all the answers straight away, especially when it comes to entirely new hardware platforms (or even mediums, as is the case with VR).

I can tell you that we want to incorporate movement tracking, but wanting and delivering are two very different things.

He did say they only started and are working on controller integration. So probably it will have the same capabilities as with the Rift and Morpheus and they'll see down the line where they can go. And that's fine.

edit: lol didn't preview

Peltz

Wow, game looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing more full VR games at E3.

EDIT:

Thank you both for answering my questions. Best of luck with the project!

Good luck my man, looks very innovative, I can see this being a success! Will absolutely try it out!

Well this looks incredible. Hitting all the right notes for me, especially at the end of the trailer. Getting og half life and portal vibes story wise. Color me excited!

Out of curiosity what spec pc are you targeting for vive/Oculus cv1? Curious if Oculus' 970 recommend aligns with your game's demands.

Looks like a really interesting concept, regardless of how the VR turns out. If it doesn't have a microfiche section in it though they've really missed a trick.

AgeEighty

This looks so far like exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for from VR. I'll be following your progress!

It's uncharted territory in a lot of ways, but it's encouraging that you seem like such huge fans of VR.

Compsiox

Banned
Not really, all I'm saying is that we're still in the process of figuring that stuff out. The Assembly has been in development for over a year and we were initially focused on Oculus Rift, then Project Morpheus, which is similar enough. HTC Vive is different enough that it may require another design pass; right now it's hard to say. All I can confirm today is that we're bringing the game to that device - beyond that, I'm afraid you'll need to wait for a future update,

I mean, that's why it's called development - you don't often have all the answers straight away, especially when it comes to entirely new hardware platforms (or even mediums, as is the case with VR).

I can tell you that we want to incorporate movement tracking, but wanting and delivering are two very different things.
Thanks for this. I'll definitely keep an eye on it to see how everything works out.

Game4life

Banned
My only worry with VR is the dissonance one could feel when moving the camera with the stick instead of the head. Kotaku also mentions that it made them sick. I wonder if we can get some less expensive solution to this problem soon.

My only worry with VR is the dissonance one could feel when moving the camera with the stick instead of the head. Kotaku also mentions that it made them sick. I wonder if we can get some less expensive solution to this problem soon.

They have to try moving pointing with a move. More intuitive in a "physical" VR world and less dissociative as your arm is physically pointing to the place you want to go.

Not to distract from what is shown here, really like it, but watching it I got the sudden idea of a vr game based on the Spielberg movie Innerspace... The concept of that movie is perfect for a vr game. You traverse the human body in a shrunken sub and try to get to different places, fighting white blood cells and other shrunken bad guys, sometimes taking control of the host, vr in vr lol...
Seriously, somebody get on that!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is gonna trip me out, I look forward to experiencing this in VR. I can't wait for the flood of VR content 2+ years down the line. Exciting times ahead. :)

Durante

Looks neat.

We intend for The Assembly to come out in the launch window for each of the three major VR headsets:
  • Sony's said Morpheus will launch during the first half of 2016.
  • Oculus Rift will ship during the first quarter of 2016.
  • HTC Vive is due out towards the end of 2015.
Does this mean that the PC versions of the game will be separate according to device?

Also, any chance for mouse/kb support for seated movement? I generally find it much less nauseating than gamepad movement in VR.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks neat.

Does this mean that the PC versions of the game will be separate according to device?

Also, any chance for mouse/kb support for seated movement? I generally find it much less nauseating than gamepad movement in VR.

I imagine it would, at most, be a 'branded'/promoted patch for the PC version, to allow support for whichever is the second of the two headsets to release (i.e. Oculus going by that schedule). I'm sure it'll be one release/purchase to support both sets, ultimately.

Of course that's not explicit, but hard to imagine it being different.

Durante

I imagine it would, at most, be a 'branded'/promoted patch for the PC version, to allow support for whichever is the second of the two headsets to release (i.e. Oculus going by that schedule). I'm sure it'll be one release/purchase to support both sets, ultimately.

Of course that's not explicit, but hard to imagine it being different.
That's what I'd expect also, but based on the wording (and because we have someone here who can confirm) I wanted to make sure.

viveks86

Looking good! Can't wait. I wonder how long such narrative focused games will be. Since VR is far more stressful, I'm guessing they are shorter in length than a typical linear game?

Monkeythumbz

Thought this bit looked especially great. Nice art, nice logo.
Thanks! Our brand guy is a very hard-working and talented chap.
Out of curiosity what spec pc are you targeting for vive/Oculus cv1? Curious if Oculus' 970 recommend aligns with your game's demands.
We haven't set a minimum target spec at the moment - obviously we'd like to support Oculus Rift on minimum spces, but we've still a lot of optimisation work ahead of us.

It's uncharted territory in a lot of ways, but it's encouraging that you seem like such huge fans of VR.
You have no idea. I personally remember enjoying the old Virtuality games like Dactyl Nightmare, Exorex and VTOL from the early '90s, so I always knew that VR was viable given the right technology. I distinctly remember being disappointed when the Atari Jaguar VR headset never materialised (...but then again, I also remember being disappointed about failing to win a TV competition for a 3DO. Dodged a bullet there!)

Looks cool. Seeing the viruses in 3D in VR will be AMAZING!
It is, it really is. Having a 3D virus all up in your face is quite the experience.

As mentioned in the Sixth Axis preview, we're working on a number of comfortability options (45-degree turns on the triggers, using head movement beyond a certain degree to move the body) and we're also looking to ingrate motion control support.

Not to distract from what is shown here, really like it, but watching it I got the sudden idea of a vr game based on the Spielberg movie Innerspace... The concept of that movie is perfect for a vr game. You traverse the human body in a shrunken sub and try to get to different places, fighting white blood cells and other shrunken bad guys, sometimes taking control of the host, VR in VR lol...
Seriously, somebody get on that!
You are absolutely not the only person to have thought of that! Not that we're working on anything like that at the moment, it's just funny how some fresh ideas pop up in different places simultaneously when the time is right, You can't stop a good idea, I suppose.

That all depends on interoperability between the Oculus VR store and the Steam VR store - right now, that's what we call a known unknown,.

Unlikely - I'm afraid you're an edge case here, most people struggle with keyboard input when wearing a VR HMD. We'd rather focus on integrating motion control support than getting M&KB feeling right.

Looks interesting. This is VR exclusive, or just VR support?
Right now, we're 100% focused on VR. We do not have a flat-screen (aka non-VR) version of the game in development,

Looking good! Can't wait. I wonder how long such narrative focused games will be. Since VR is far more stressful, I'm guessing they are shorter in length than a typical linear game?
The Assembly is split into around a dozen chapters, where each chapter averages out at around 20 minutes to complete for skilled players. We're aiming for a high-quality experience throughout.

Any more for any more? Can't tell you how nice it is to see interest in our project!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Assembly is split into around a dozen chapters, where each chapter averages out at around 20 minutes to complete for skilled players. We're aiming for a high-quality experience throughout.

That's a 5-6 hour game for me. And that's perfect.

Monkeythumbz

That's a 5-6 hour game for me. And that's perfect.
It's closer to 5 hours than 6 hours tbh, but your mileage may vary depending on skill level.

As with all games, if you speed-run the critical path, it'll take you less time than if you explore the environment fully and interact with every object.

Top Bottom