• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Platinum Game Coming to E3 (IGN)

_Clash_

im feeling so weird right now... this is either gonna be a super FUCKING AWESOME REVEAL... or LOTS of people are going to be really really REALLY sad.

If its NOT MGR2 = Devastated But might be redeemed if Vanquish 2
If its NOT Vanquish 2 = Totally Devastated

If they announce anything other than MGR2 with Vanquish 2 as my Second Choice... i will feel super awful.

Time to take a step back?

The Giant

Banned
o08tbpO.png

So he posted that, shorty after the smash bros video announcement. Hmmmmmmm

A quick query; what's the Nintendo stuff all about? I haven't been following that too much.

And truth be told, one RT about one of many E3 press conferences doesn't stack up to what certainly looked like a damn Metal Gear Rising 2 tease a few months ago.

Edit: HOLY SHIT I'd love the above. Captain Falcon absurdity

Ok, but then why not call out the article in the OP. It doesn't tell us that 'we should watch' an IGN exclusive gameplay reveal, they say that 'IGN will be premiering'. It's basically the same sort of pedantic distinction you're asking him to make. The implication is the audience should be excited too, even if it's not explicitly stating it.

Also what difference does it make if he *was* just personally excited/bragging? Why does that make him an arsehole? Oh no, he enjoys his jobs and sometimes knows things before we do?

That isn't even an article in the OP though, it's literally just an announcement of the details, their are no personal opinions on the game or anything currently unannounced, that makes it it completely uncomparable to the tweet. The tweet wasn't telling people to be excited, it was a person saying that he was excited because of secret shit he is privy to.

If Nintendo wants Metroid to become a character action game to appeal to Japanese players, they might as well do it with the best 3D action game developer in the business. I'd vastly prefer a more atmospheric, slow-paced Metroid myself, but seeing something more actiony and fast-paced like a 3D Zero Mission might be pretty cool. Like how the best parts of Other M were when Samus actually shut up and started kicking ass. And hey, a group of "old-school game design"-obsessed devs like Platinum would probably have more respect for the franchise and NOT focus on dialogue and cutscenes this time... As much as I love dank Revengeance memes I could go for a Platinum game that ditched the campy/shitty story for once.
Sure, if Nintendo wanted to take Metroid in that specific direction Platinum would be a good choice.

But why would they want to take it in that direction? That's completely contrary to what Metroid is in every way. I understand that to an extent they went in that direction with Other M, but Other M was also a failure by their own admission. So much so that it saw widespread price cuts, which is remarkably rare for a Nintendo game. They're not going to try that again and take it even FURTHER from what defines the franchise.

So if people are begging for a Platinum Metroid because they've for some reason decided the franchise is permanently set on being an action game, that's just silly. But it seems many people actually just want a Platinum Metroid in general, which makes no sense to me, as why would anyone want the franchise to literally be the exact opposite of what it has always represented, in terms of gameplay, design, and atmosphere?

It would be one thing if this were the early 2000's when the series was getting games left and right, where an action spin-off would be a neat addition to the active core-franchise. But if the first Metroid in five years, which itself was the train wreck that was Other M, to be a character action game, that would be terrible.

kogasu

Really hoping for something great! Rising 2 would be nice.

Preface: this is fake, i am not passing this off as a leak. I like my account!

I need this in my life!

I saw the pic first and almost died lol. I would probably die if that happened though. Wishful thinking....

Not

Banned
Oh for Christ's sake. Reading through this thread and please be Metroid.

Please, please be Metroid. I mean, I'd be ok with Rising 2 because people seem psyched about it. Even though I'd never play it.

Please be Metroid.

You couldn't wait til E3 to surprise us?

But I guess if it isn't in a press conference, they have to let us know.

Wasn't W101 footage shown of during an E3 live show (IGN, or maybe GT)?
The Next Best Action Adventure Game confirmed?

Sevyne

Please, please be Metroid. I mean, I'd be ok with Rising 2 because people seem psyched about it. Even though I'd never play it.

Please be Metroid.

I absolutely love Platinum n all, but keep them the hell away from Metroid. Platinum are masters at balls to the wall action, but that is not Metroid nor should it ever be. Platinum would be my last pick to handle the IP. It seriously blows my mind that so many people want that shit in Metroid.

Trust me, I want a new Metroid so so bad, but not like that.

KarmaCow

Please be Metroid.

Everything that Platinum is known for is not what I would want from Metroid.

jmizzal

Where theres smoke theres fire
Most of the evidence points to it being a Nintendo game

The interview with Platinum game dev, talking about loving to get back to Bayonetta and they are working on an unannounced game to be shown later

The fact that Nintendo has had The Wonderful 101 and Devils Third shown right after Nintendo's E3 Conf. in the past and, this will be right after Nintendo's Conf

The retweet of Nintendo's E3 events by PG dev

The last game worked on by this Platinum games team was Bayo 2, the other PG team is working on Scalbound

Now the only other hints have been MG Rising 2, but with the Konami stuff going on thats a long shoot

I absolutely love Platinum n all, but keep them the hell away from Metroid. Platinum are masters at balls to the wall action, but that is not Metroid nor should it ever be. Platinum would be my last pick to handle the IP. It seriously blows my mind that so many people want that shit in Metroid.
Exactly what Metroid needs,not another boring slow moving FPS. What was missing from the prime games was good action like in Super Metroid. So PG should be given a shot (and make it control like Vanquish).

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The simplest explanation is usually correct. Ergo the identity of this game should follow the rules of nature.

Sevyne

Did you not play Super Metroid? Metroid in addition to exploration is about action and movement. Only PG could deliver the action, nintendo delivers the world (NOT SAKAMOTO and avoid Other M Nintendo).

Super Metroid is my GOAT, so yes I've played it plenty throughout my life, and I'm saying again that Platinum is one of the worst choices for a Dev to do a Metroid game. Yes the games have action, but in no way do they have Platinum action and their flavor of action does not belong in those games.

J@hranimo

Banned
Metroid x Platinum Games is a new one.

I wouldn't mind entertaining this idea. It does seem a lot different from what old school Metroid is supposed to be...

Did you not play Super Metroid? Metroid in addition to exploration is about action and movement. Only PG could deliver the action, nintendo delivers the world (NOT SAKAMOTO and avoid Other M Nintendo).

This is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. Metroid Prime is the closest thing to Super Metroid in 3D. As much as I love Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta...no, just no. Platinum is not the group to make an ominous exploration game.

Banned
If it's DMC would it be a sequel to the reboot or a direct sequel to DMC4? Because I never played the original four and probably won't be as hyped for it.

Nibel

Metroid isn't a good fit for Platinum; Team Ninja already tried a more combat focused approach and look how that turned out. Metroid is about mood and exploring, and Retro is the best studio for that.

Top Bottom