• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Survey

So one video was unavailable, and you couldnt choose witcher 2 on your list.

that was cathartic

Yep.

I just drilled in their heads to make it fun and go nuts with historical cities so its just the same kind of fun I got with AC2 and Brotherhood.

If they want to make more Pirate games, just dont call them AC, so it can be its own great thing.

Meia

My 3 words:

Bloat
Work
Non-assassiny

Hammered out enough that the series was actually fun when it was unique in what it did, i.e. having a target/objective and planning out how to accomplish it sight unseen. Yahtzee started calling the series "Fapping About Creed" around Revelations, and it's only gotten far worse since.

This
I also found it odd that in in a survey about assassin's creed they didn't ask about what historical settings you would like too see. The biggest problem imho for the series is the annualized releases.

Yep...I think it's getting to the point where I actually won't buy Syndicate because I love the series too much. If that makes sense.

mrqs

I'm not saying there will be no differences, but this is an incredibly similar location compared to say, AC3 -> ACIV.

You are also "cherry picking" screenshots that look different though. :/

Without this lamp, that landscape with buildings looks the same as the buildings in Unity. That's my point. They have the same structure.

uXAMr9E.png

Nipo

Yes they're going to reuse some assets for Syndicate but the architecture outside of cherry picked screens looks very different.
Like say here.
Assassins-Creed-Syndicate-Screenshot-1.jpg

ACsyndicate2.jpg

This looks like Paris to you? We've only seen one small snippet of one district of the game, and it was in pre-alpha with a ton of unfinished assets, placeholder animations and the jankiness that you'd expect from an early look at a game. Then you add in the behavior of the crowd likely being quite different in their behaviors and culture.

Nah, this is the first time ever that we've ever seen a survey, what are you talking about? Not like we've ever had threads on this or anything.

Ignoring street level (people, lights, carts) yes it looks like it could have been in unity.

Edit: Yea, pretty much like MarquesZero's picture shows

iNvid02

I mean....the game is out in October. This seems like just some "For the Fans!" bullshit. I got an email the other day about how they are doing a road tour this summer where fans will help shape the game!

It seriously feels just like PR bullshit to get back in peoples good graces after Unity.

I'm a huge fan of the franchise. The biggest thing it needs is some time away where everyone can properly rethink things.

Yeah, the survey is titled Syndicate but questions relating to that game are mostly "so how well do you think we've been marketing Syndicate?"

If we're lucky the input and suggestions regarding the wider franchise and its future could be considered and implemented in 1-2 years time.

ps3ud0

LOL the second video didnt work for me so marked it 1.

My 3 words were: Annualised, Collect-a-thon, Tired

ps3ud0 8)

Without this lamp, that landscape with buildings looks the same as the buildings in Unity. That's my point. They have the same structure.

uXAMr9E.png

Are you from outside Europe?
Can't you really differentiate french revolution architecture apart from london victorian?

Did Italy during the renaissance also looked the same to you? (actually I heard some guys just say that in other threads so that wouldnt surprise me).

Rflagg

Strange seeing No Man's Sky in that list. Does anyone really see it in the same ballpark as all these other triple-A games?

If they get it right it will be one of my favorite games ever made so yes.

Edit: SpacePirate Ridley "If they want to make more Pirate games, just dont call them AC, so it can be its own great thing" yes please I would be ok with this approach to say feudal Japan as well, and this would give them a game or games to alternate with assassin's creed, which would help create hype for both or all three.

Cdammen

• Collect-a-thon
  • Unresponsive
  • Janky
And then they ask for features from other games that could work in AC. I'd rather have them fix the stuff they have. They should focus more on core mechanics and polishing them to a sheen rather than focus on the graphics. I don't know about you guys but immersion for me comes from good controls, when they're good I forget about them and just observe the game world and all the possibilities. I've never experienced that with an AC game.

Haunted

When they asked me what features and mechanics from other games I want to see in AC I went on a three paragraph rant on how them feeling the need to cram in whatever mechanics and features are popular du jour into the games is one of the major reasons why the games have lost their identity and feel like they're just ticking boxes and checking lists these days.

I mean, they had fucking tower defence in there at one point. Fucking tower defence!

AC needs less bloat not more.

how long before someone makes a thread thinking it's a leak
It's not a leak if everyone already knows about it!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm not saying there will be no differences, but this is an incredibly similar location compared to say, AC3 -> ACIV.

You are also "cherry picking" screenshots that look different though. :/
I'd say that the screens show off much more of what you can expect from the atmosphere you can expect than "this building in one the dirty and seedy parts of the city looks similar to Unity." It's one of those situations where the difference will really show as they show off more of the map like the docks and train stations.

Are you american?
Can't you really differentiate french revolution architecture apart from london victorian?

Did Italy during the renaissance also looked the same to you? (actually I heard some guys just say that in other threads so that wouldnt surprise me).
I think people are confusing "This is the same engine" with "Same architecture."

Welfare

What the fuck.

Below is a list of features in Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate. Which ones are you most interested in?
Pick up to 5.

Utilizing the environment to elude, confuse, and subdue your enemies

None of the above

Those 2 are switched. Clicking None of the above acts like an actual option that can be selected with the other 4 you want.

panda-zebra

Completing these UBI surveys each time has me wondering if they ever get any meaningful information out of them.

I'm just glad it didn't kick me out after putting my age in as it did a couple of years ago, I had a little whinge to one of their employees and was told I probably wasn't their target demographic for that particular survey... well fuck that, I spend thousands on games per year and put 100s of hours into their releases, they invited me to give them my opinion, the least they could have done was let me go through the motions even if they never used the data itself, it just felt a bit insulting :)

Having to go search YT for their video (the 2nd one) was a bit crap, too, but it was on the UBI channel (and was way better than that dull and cliched reveal trailer).

Yasae

Banned
I told them what's up. They just need another shake to the formula like we saw from AC1 to 2.
That was easier than people think, seeing as how the first game had LOTS of areas it could've expanded upon. And so they did.

Granted the recent games have potholes too, but they're not slightly fleshed out concept demos like the first AC.

Toski

Filled out the survey, and I'm concerned with the "hours played" questions. The criticism of AC1's lack of activities must've spooked Ubi so good they'd rather bloat up the map with bullshit rather than having a lack of things to do.

Best thing for Ubi to do at this point is alternate between Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs. They can keep the find the tower to unlock the map gameplay, but the the missions and side activities better be quality.

Ahasverus

Do you guys know all this survey is doing is collecting info to market (read: decieve) Syndicate better?

Also lol at the buggy survey. It probably took 50 people from 5 different offices, give them a break.

DNAbro

Filled out the survey, and I'm concerned with the "hours played" questions. The criticism of AC1's lack of activities must've spooked Ubi so good they'd rather bloat up the map with bullshit rather than having a lack of things to do.

Best thing for Ubi to do at this point is alternate between Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs. They can keep the find the tower to unlock the map gameplay, but the the missions and side activities better be quality.

please no more tower to unlock stuff. I don't know why it's needed. Just let us explore.

Red Hood

Banned
I hope they do something with the survey, because my love for Assassin's Creed has cooled down so quick after Brotherhood, it peaked with AC2 in my opinion.

Three words that discribe the series to me:

- Potential (as in great premise and settings, but usually mediocre execution)
- Repetitive (instead of evolving the series, you pretty much do the same thing all over)
- Clunky (what I've labelled the "Assassin's Creed" fuck up, when controls do the complete opposite of what you want)

Pooya

Paris in Unity looks like a huge garbage bin :\ it didn't feel like Paris at all, it was just trash. London so far looks better tbh, I hope the performance is fine, with all its fault Unity has some decent main mission were it actually plays like Assassin's Creed was in the earlier days instead of bad GTA with swords that we were getting.

Nipo

What? Huge arched iron hangars didn't even exist in 1790. They were made specifically as train sheds.

I was mostly looking to building shape layout and density. The inside of the train station is probably the Syndicate equilateral to the cathedral in Unity a unique set piece for the city.

Crossing Eden

Watch Dogs allows for way more creativity because one of the biggest aspects of the gameplay is using the environment to your advantage by letting you do whatever to achieve a simple objective, best video that showcases this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS6SKoH54Bw
^
You could do the above, go in guns blazing, complete the objective without even going inside the base by using security cameras or the tiny cameras on guard uniforms, that's great stalth design.
Although Syndicate seems to be including the environment as a big part of the stealth now. Which would be a nice expansion on the open mission and level design of Unity.

I started reading a post earlier in the thread without seeing who posted it and halfway through I thought, "This is a Crossing Eden post." Sure enough.

Jito

Banned
Another look at London
5SmHgc2.gif

And then one of the highest points in Unity
Parissweep.gif

One of the highest points in Unity (surrounded by some of the smallest buildings, most of them are two storey shacks).

You know that there are parts of the city in Unity with long terraces of large multi story buildings like the ones you can see in the Syndicate gif, you really are cherry picking.

My three words,

Bloated, Non-Stealth, Buggy.

Crossing Eden

One of the highest points in Unity (surrounded by some of the smallest buildings, most of them are two story shacks).

You know that there are parts of the city in Unity with long terraces of large multi story buildings like the ones you can see in the Syndicate gif, you really are cherry picking.
The biggest building in Unity were the historical monuments, while a large majority were two or three story houses. There are larger buildings and huge areas but they're not the majority. One of the things that was directly stated (that we can see) is that the buildings in Syndicate are taller than the average buildings in Unity with much wider streets as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks for this, I fucking destroyed them.

I love the first two AC games and I absolutely hate what is going on with this franchise.

Regiruler

Do you guys know all this survey is doing is collecting info to market (read: decieve) Syndicate better?

Also lol at the buggy survey. It probably took 50 people from 5 different offices, give them a break.
Good thing I asked for something they can't implement without changing the core of the game then.

Is there a stamina system in asscreed already? I basically requested that, but with a little more leeway (magic/energy also acceptable).

Jito

Banned
The biggest building in Unity were the historical monuments, while a large majority were two or three story houses. One of the things that were directly stated that we can see is that the buildings in Syndicate are taller than those the average buildings in Unity with much wider streets as well.

I can guarantee the largest buildings in Syndicate will be the historical monuments as well, what point are you trying to make exactly? It's just seeming like you posted two unrelated gifs to prove something.

Come on man, not like this.

Was not trying to be disrespectful, really. I know lots of americans know the difference (probably the majority). But it is true that some americans, because they are not accostumed to european architecture (not becuase they are not better educated) dont know how really different both of those types of archeitectures are.
Maybe would have been better to ask if he was not european, but im accostumed that most of neogaf are americans, so thats why I used that, could have been someone from Japan or South Africa for example.
Fixing that.

Crossing Eden

Good thing I asked for something they can't implement without changing the core of the game then.

Is there a stamina system in asscreed already? I basically requested that, but with a little more leeway (magic/energy also acceptable).
No stamina system. Eagle vision now had a cooldown in Unity though.

I can guarantee the largest buildings in Syndicate will be the historical monuments as well, what point are you trying to make exactly? It's just seeming like you posted two unrelated gifs to prove something.
I never implied that that wouldn't be the case. You completely ignored this part

One of the things that was directly stated (that we can see) is that the buildings in Syndicate are taller than the average buildings in Unity with much wider streets as well.

Emphasis on average buildings, that and more a more modern aesthetic in that gif shows the clear difference from Unity.

Top Bottom