• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Announces New IP, Dreams

Endo Punk

Dreams? More like Nightmares -- most of these look pretty freaky.
There's a dark charm to it all. Like puppetry shows/surreal art from ye olde. Sure at first it's freaky but incredibly indearing, art that demands attention even if you can't wrap your head around it.

That art style is incredible. I don't really know what to make of the actual game, but I'm definitely intrigued by this. Definitely want more info as it comes out.

Steel

Banned
Hope this isn't F2P like Project Spark. Could easily be a step beyond minecraft

Which reminds me.... Where was the Tomorrow Children? Isn't it releasing soonish?

Hmm! Watching the trailer again, there is a little blue character.

It appears in 3 or 4 of the bubbles at least, and seems to be being controlled by someone.

HM2PkG2.png

nnKCQpl.png

UUMlhsT.png

bLF4vJJ.png

Maybe this is the 'avatar' of the game, ala Sackboy? Or maybe just a character someone at MM re-used in multiple 'dreams'?

Well, there seems to be some stereotypical gameplay stuff going on in some of the bubbles mentioned/shown above. I would say the tools are quite broad and it's up to the creator what type of interaction or play they want to make or don't want to make in their 'dream'.

"It’s space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond."

I think there'll be tools to enable gameplay orientated stuff or just still environments, videos - whatever.

Great sleuthing, I can't believe people were genuinely thinking this would not have gameplay. lol

Crispy75

I think it's very cool. I've toyed with distance function rendering in little demos, I've read about people slowing bringing them (and distance fields) partially into production pipelines. They are a favourite tool of the demo scene.

More info:

Distance fields: http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW...r-2000-/A-Closer-Look-at-Distance-Fields.aspx

TL;DR - they allow quick and robust sculpting of arbitrary forms, both organic and sharp-edged, and allow volumetric properties such as "fuzzy" boundaries. They're also very amenable to raymarching rendering techniques and allow things like ambient occlusion for "free"

Alex Evans is a veteran of the demoscene so it's no surprise to see this sort of exotic rendering tech in his game :)

Probably my favorite prod with Statix's code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmhaSMEr5Gw - all sorts of funky tricks in the days before proper GPUs (1997). The soundtrack is great on this one too :)

jwk94

As interesting as this is, my girlfriend and I both asked the same question :if we're paying $60,what are we getting out of the box?

Whatever they are doing with this to render it, one thing to note is that this was very obviously running at 60fps. At the theater it was obvious when this and No Man's Sky were on that they were running at 60fps. I think both have to, because both will likely be on Morpheus.

pager99

Mm obviously taking risks with this as it ain't for sure gonna appeal to the dude Bro croud but it certainly appeals to me

mekes

Whatever they are doing with this to render it, one thing to note is that this was very obviously running at 60fps. At the theater it was obvious when this and No Man's Sky were on that they were running at 60fps. I think both have to, because both will likely be on Morpheus.

If that was the case that would make Morpheus a must own for me. Both very different experiences, but experiences you could really get lost in. I would hope something like that would be true!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Hmmm. It would be crazy if this was 60fps. But trailers can have higher framerates than the games they're representing...

Hmmm. It would be crazy if this was 60fps. But trailers can have higher framerates than the games they're representing...

True but all the other games trailers and demos we're obviously 30 fps.

I mean except for obviously sfv was also 60 as well.

Perhaps Blim will get a raw video and confirm.

BumRush

The 'community' will make this game a must-have. Downloading other peoples' dreams and being blown away by their creativity and talent...

Although it looks awfully unique, I see this as a Project Spark-type idea that will largely be ignored.

Isn't it a bit early to tell? Certainly the stuff they showed in the video looked much crazier than anything I have seen from Project Spark...but then I don't really know what that stuff is yet anyway. Really it has just left more questions, but that isnt a bad thing at this stage. Seems intriguing to me.

I love things like this, but my enjoyment of them is limited by my lack of creativity. I had an absolute TON of fun playing the story and user created levels in LBP1+2, but I don't have an artistic or creative bone in my body, so I felt like I was only getting a small slice of the experience by not being able to make my own.

I'll pick this up to support Mm as I love what they do and the way they go about it, but I'm not sure I'll actually get much enjoyment out of it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
As interesting as this is, my girlfriend and I both asked the same question :if we're paying $60,what are we getting out of the box?
The same thing you get when you pay hundreds for Photoshop.

But I'd kinda expect some tiers in this case, maybe even a F2P option. i.e give away the basic sculpting and rigging tools, just so anyone can make their own models and play with them a bit. But if you want to script an entire scenario, add music, sound, etc., then there's a premium "Studio" package you can purchase.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't get it. What do you in the game?

Play through stuff from MM and others.

Make and share stuff of your own if you wish.

What that 'stuff' is...well, I'd expect a variety of things. The bubbles at the end briefly hinted at some of things they've made, looked like there was flight/pilotwings-esque stuff, platform stuff, physics toybox stuff, some first person thing...

I think it'll be like an evolution of LBP's tools for making gameplay scenarios.

Out of the box I guess you'll get a collection of 'dreams' from Media Molecule.

haven't had the chance to read over the thread. is there word on what controller support? i assume move? the drawing is neat but sculpting with a controller? i don't have time to do detail stuff with that lol. also vita as a controller would be great too. the playroom stuff was neat idea (drawing on the vita and throwing it to the game.

My best guess is that this is similar to LBP. You create worlds, share them online, other people play them and rate them. The tools look different for sure, but the main change is that it is not tied down to 2.5D platforming anymore. Its deffinately 3D, and its deffinately trying to cover an even broader range of gameplay: from exploration, to killing zombies, to flying spaceships. There deffinately is a game here I think, its just the next evolved step from LBP. The 'dream theme' is really just a stylistic change from the diorama aesthetic of LBP. I don't think the 'puppateer' control sceme is necessarily meant to be the primary control mechanism for gameplay. More like a way of animating enemies and npcs on the creation side, and maybe its a form of control that you can enable during gameplay, but it is not your primary means of getting around.

I am going to hand my daughter the controller and let her imagination run wild.

Absolutely fantastic premise. Created your own " dreams " and sharing them with people, nothing really in your way besides your own imagination.

I love stuff like this. It transcends just plain gaming and really shows what is capable within this medium

Naminator

Banned
Can someone explain to me the YouTube E3 voting thing and the animations that appear after voting? Because this is the first time I'm seeing this.

jwk94

The same thing you get when you pay hundreds for Photoshop.

But I'd kinda expect some tiers in this case, maybe even a F2P option. i.e give away the basic sculpting and rigging tools, just so anyone can make their own models and play with them a bit. But if you want to script an entire scenario, add music, sound, etc., then there's a premium "Studio" package you can purchase.
So it's not like LBP where they have a story you can play through that would introduce you to the mechanics?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So it's not like LBP where they have a story you can play through that would introduce you to the mechanics?

We don't technically know anything about what does or doesn't come out of the box. They're being very coy at this stage about the structure of this.

But we do know MM is making 'dreams' for you to play, besides anything the community might make. I think it would be safe to surmise there'll be a bunch of those MM 'dreams' to introduce you to the game in a kind of 'story' or 'campaign' mode, or however they want to term it.

Squalor

We need more information and some actual gameplay, but it's Media Molecule, so I'm confident this will be good.

hesido

The only good thing that's going to come out for the Move controllers on PS4. For obvious reasons, they didn't demonstrate with move controllers but Move will be perfect for this. Coupled with morpheus support, this could be the most intuitive modeling method ever.

Stampy

Anton Mikhailov works now at Media Molecule? Hmm, I wonder how it came to that. I thought he was heads deep with Morpheus and new Sony R&D stuff, probably could mean that they will try to implement VR in some fashion with Dreams.

Shin-Ra

Anton Mikhailov works now at Media Molecule? Hmm, I wonder how it came to that. I thought he was heads deep with Morpheus and new Sony R&D stuff, probably could mean that they will try to implement VR in some fashion with Dreams.
Where'd you see that?

Sacul64GC

Banned
Play through stuff from MM and others.

Make and share stuff of your own if you wish.

What that 'stuff' is...well, I'd expect a variety of things. The bubbles at the end briefly hinted at some of things they've made, looked like there was flight/pilotwings-esque stuff, platform stuff, physics toybox stuff, some first person thing...

I think it'll be like an evolution of LBP's tools for making gameplay scenarios.

Out of the box I guess you'll get a collection of 'dreams' from Media Molecule.

Not sure where these thoughts are coming from. This is the 2nd time we saw this and all I have taken from it is they are releasing an animation suite.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm just curious to see how powerful the animation tools are. I've been in love with clay modeling and stop motion for so long... but it's such a pain in the ass to set up and deal with.

I mean this is almost like something, ironically, from my dreams. But I must fight off getting excited until there are more details.

But this was the most interesting thing at E3 imo.

Not sure where these thoughts are coming from. This is the 2nd time we saw this and all I have taken from it is they are releasing an animation suite.

http://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/announcing_our_new_project_dreams

Dreams is a space where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond.

So a 3D LBP, which is likely also grossly oversimplifying it.

zlatko

Banned
This definitely was not aimed for my gaming tastes.

If I wanted to be a game developer...I'd have got a job doing so. I don't want to create my levels, rules, objects, etc. About all I want to make is my character and customize their appearance throughout an experience.

Games like this are forever lost on me.

Top Bottom