• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

da fuq--they got the writer of new vegas for this?

horizon166s47.png

cjp

In an industry that churns out a lot of the same ole same ole, we have people complaining about mechanized dinosaurs. That gameplay reveal looked great, and showed stealth, hunting and strategy. The weak points weren't so obvious and it seems there will be specific ways to take down each machine. The fact that its an open world RPG with:

-day/night cycle
-weather systems

-Monster Hunter gameplay aspects
-Writer of Fallout NV
-stealth
-Witcher devs
-Enslaved/ Dark Earth/Turok vibe
-female protagonist
-tribes and factions (which leads me to believe there will be human vs human combat)

is a breath of fresh air. Color me impressed.

Where were these confirmed? Source?

I'm wondering how they will organically reveal those dino bot weaknesses. In the trailer she just says "I gotta go under it", but will that happen for every new robot, or every time? Cuz the weak spots look hard to find unless you know what you're looking for. Or maybe you'll just be thrown up against one of these fuckers and you have to find out for yourself through battle. That would be pretty cool.

I liked that the players character talked a lot. I don't like characters that simply grunt and moan. I hope GH adds more voice during gameplay.

Deathstryker

Producer, Guerrilla Games
Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

I'll let you get back to the regularly scheduled speculation :)

Where were these confirmed? Source?

From the press release

A Lush Post-Apocalyptic World – How have machines come to dominate this world, and what is their purpose? What happened to the civilization here before? Scour every corner of a realm filled with ancient relics and mysterious buildings in order to uncover your past and unearth the many secrets of a forgotten land.

Nature and Machines Collide – Horizon Zero Dawn juxtaposes two contrasting elements, taking a vibrant world rich with beautiful nature and filling it with awe-inspiring highly advanced technology. This marriage creates a dynamic combination for both exploration and gameplay.

Defy Overwhelming Odds – The foundation of combat in Horizon Zero Dawn is built upon the speed and cunning of Aloy versus the raw strength and size of the machines. In order to overcome a much larger and technologically superior enemy, Aloy must use every ounce of her knowledge, intelligence, and agility to survive each encounter.

Cutting Edge Open World Tech: Stunningly detailed forests, imposing mountains, and atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization meld together in a landscape that is alive with changing weather and a day/night cycle.

golem

I'm wondering how they will organically reveal those dino bot weaknesses. In the trailer she just says "I gotta go under it", but will that happen for every new robot, or every time? Cuz the weak spots look hard to find unless you know what you're looking for. Or maybe you'll just be thrown up against one of these fuckers and you have to find out for yourself through battle. That would be pretty cool.

Ive been trained by years of gaming to shoot every glowy thing that appears on enemies.

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

HEY MAN!

congrats on having the best game of the show and popping in to say hey! (^______^)

Skux

Hey GAF!

Great to have you here Mark. This is the game of the show for me. I never thought robot dinosaurs would work - the premise just sounded too crazy.

Well I changed my mind today. This looks amazing.

Ive been trained by years of gaming to shoot every glowy thing that appears on enemies.

didn't she have to shoot away panels REVEALING the glowy things though?

Hey GAF!

Congrats on the showcase! It looks crazy fun to play.

stryke

Hey GAF!

Congratulations on the reveal.

Best part is that the setting is not a conventional apocalypse. Much like Life After People it looks like folks just one day vanished into thin air and nature reclaimed whatever remained. Or perhaps there was a mass exodus for some reason. But the earth is intact, no single desert environment or radioactive nonsense

Hey GAF!

HAHA! Junior!

But congratulations on having one of THE MOST IMPRESSIVE gameplay demo's and reveals of E3 smack down in between stuff like FF7 and The Last Guardian.
The fact that you had the confidence of showing your game between those two displays your massive confidence and pride in your hard work.

When can I Pre-Order? : )

cjp

From the press release

Nice! Thanks!

Hey GAF!

Personally thought it was the best showing at E3. You guys are one of my favourite studios, looking forward to hearing more about it!

Some strange criticisms in here.

"I would prefer normal dinosaurs". That would take away its unique factor.

"Why is she white when she's native American Indian". How do we know she's native American indian?

Wanderer5

Really dig the designs of those bots. Such a promising premise and style. This was one of the two best thing at Sony conference to me (other being TLG).

BraXzy

When I saw all the leaks for this I half thought the art was maybe just someone on DeviantArt, don't ask me why.

It looked amazing for a first impression. They translated that concept art perfectly, I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on this.

God, so much stuff has poured out of E3 and still is doing, I'm struggling to keep track! And I go on holiday tomorrow ah!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Can't wait to hear more about variety in weapons and gear, how open world it exactly is, if there's a co-op/multiplayer mode and what that entails, variety in enemies, strategies and locations...

The whole fact that this is supposed to be a WRPG but has kick-ass action/combat has me al giddy. Best of both worlds, potentially. And knowing Guerilla Games, there undoubtedly will be some amazing chase scenes. Throw in some hang gliding in this glorious world or something, I could die a happy man.

Hey GAF!

Well done, game looks incredible.

Jhn

I agree, mostly because we actually got to see gameplay, and it looks rad.

My E3 highlight so far! And i agree.

Im a pretty devout Sony fanboy and even im inclined to agree.
Only other thing impressive was Uncharted.

We still havent seen Nintendo's hand, but I'd def say MS won the show

...that's for another thread tho :)

I guess it was less controversial of an opinion than I thought.
And I agree. I do not own an xbox, nor do I plan to do so in the immediate future, but yeah, they're winning this E3, hands down.

pastrami

Probably revealed at a certain dmg %.

Naw, it looks like location specific damage is in. Only one side is exposed (the side she shot with the machine's own gun), and when she slides under the machine, she also shoots out one of the panels underneath it with her bow.

yeah, the game made my cynical jaw drop, could not believe it was gameplay for a moment. brilliant looking game, and while i initially thought the idea of "robodinos" is too silly and tacky, i immediately "got it" once i saw them in motion. really cool looking shit.

not feeling the main character at all but ehh, i can handle it i guess.

Jobbs

Banned
What's fun about video games is we can have these creative fantasy settings. For me, this is what it's all about. If you feel disinterested in the game because "robot dinosaurs aren't realistic", I'll tell you I feel disinterested in most of ubisoft's conference (or games from other conferences) because I'm so bored of yet more military gun guys waving shiny black modern guns around and shooting eachother. It's so boring to me.

Creative settings are what it's all about. This is what video games should be all about!

Game of the SHOW! Even eclipsing The Last Guardian -- Sorry TLG, I loved SOTC, I've been waiting for you for years, but I just like Horizon better. Knowing it's open world and the pedigree behind it -- I just need it. I want to play it. This is my most anticipated game not just from E3, but in general.

Hey GAF!

Thank you for stopping by. Please don't be a stranger.

Hey GAF!

so glad that you are finally working on a completely genre with the talent you have at GG.
Looking forward to this game & my personal Favourite alongside the FF7 Remake

Aceofspades

Banned
Hey GAF!

Congratz on the reveal, you guys are so talented.

Keep the good work.

Raptor

Hey GAF!

Oh my God!!

Thank you for making this!!

:D

Mikey Jr.

Hey GAF!

You guys should be proud.

Looks amazing.

Hey GAF!

The game is looking fantastic!

Does that mean the huge city environments are going to be in the game? ;)

Also is it one huge game?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This game looks great! What a fun idea! Let's hunt robot dinosaurs! I really hope it doesn't get brushed under the rug from all the other big announcements. I wonder how diverse the weapons are.

djjinx2

A Lush Post-Apocalyptic World – How have machines come to dominate this world, and what is their purpose? What happened to the civilization here before? Scour every corner of a realm filled with ancient relics and mysterious buildings in order to uncover your past and unearth the many secrets of a forgotten land.

Nature and Machines Collide – Horizon Zero Dawn juxtaposes two contrasting elements, taking a vibrant world rich with beautiful nature and filling it with awe-inspiring highly advanced technology. This marriage creates a dynamic combination for both exploration and gameplay.

Defy Overwhelming Odds – The foundation of combat in Horizon Zero Dawn is built upon the speed and cunning of Aloy versus the raw strength and size of the machines. In order to overcome a much larger and technologically superior enemy, Aloy must use every ounce of her knowledge, intelligence, and agility to survive each encounter.

Cutting Edge Open World Tech: Stunningly detailed forests, imposing mountains, and atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization meld together in a landscape that is alive with changing weather and a day/night cycle.

Its like Shadowfall Engine and Driveclub Engine fucked and then Horizon Engine is the outcome

Some strange criticisms in here.

"I would prefer normal dinosaurs". That would take away its unique factor.

"Why is she white when she's native American Indian". How do we know she's native American indian?

Was that really mentioned in this thread? People are weird.

Robot dinosaurs from a fallen high tech civilization (us) are more likely than real dinosaurs evolving AGAIN within 1000 years, come on people.

My bet is on AI taking over the world, humans shut everything off with EMP and this or other surviving AIs started building machines themselves to populate the earth. The gameplay showed robots specialized in warning the others so it might not even be an evil AI but something that wants to protect its new ecosystem / life on the planet itself.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Hey GAF!

Great reveal, can't wait to hear and see more about it. Definitely shot up my list of anticipated games.

ibwgrjt8mCJ71D.gif

KZObsessed

Hey GAF!

Welcome!

Horizon looks incredible. At an E3 where The Last Guardian showed up, Final Fantasy VII Remake and Shenmue 3 was annouced, Horizon is what I'm most excited for. Crazy.

Hey GAF!

Definitely one of the most exciting announcements so far this E3, a good breath of fresh air and well, it looks good.

gib dino plz

Jobbs

Banned
She doesn't look native american at all to me. She looks scottish or something more in that region. I wish I knew more about history and geography to be able to articulate what I'm thinking of, but I see very little native american influence in here.

Also keep in mind that being a fantasy, being a work of fiction, often things are designed with inspiration taken from many places. There may be a little native american influence, a little this, a little that. It's what fantasy is all about.

Hey GAF!

Congratulations on the reveal and somehow managing to pierce through the usual veil of cynicism that pervades gaf. Biggest thread that isn't unicorn title.

Faith

Hey GAF!

I'm not a fan of your previous games but Horizon got me pretty hyped!

Most interesting game of this years E3.

Hey GAF!

Game looks amazing. Keep up the grear work. I'm eagerly awaiting more info about Horizon.

Hey GAF!

Congratulations with the debut. Must feel like a boulder being lifted from your shoulders after much speculation and secrecy. Best of luck to you all at Guerrilla Games.

Top Bottom