• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Sony officially co-publishing this is awesome news although I feel a bit cheated on that this was their plan all along. If this was anything except Shenmue (And Shinobi, Outrun, etc) I'd be livid.

But since it's Shenmue its happy times.

SRTtoZ

Why are they knee capping the kickstarter

Physical ps4 - 100

Should be an option at least

Also the insane people high tiers are already gone. Come on Suzuki. We need a 20k option.

I agree. I would pay $100 for a physical copy but right now I'm sitting on a digital hoping it gets changed. I hate digital games :/

ss_lemonade

Yeah, but there are also a few in the Saturn Shenmue video included in the Xbox Version of Shenmue II.

The Saturn version of Shenmue got sooooo far into development. I hope they include more footage as a special bonus in Shenmue III.
The first time we saw that video, I thought it looked really good for a 3d 32bit game (especially on the Saturn).

I always wondered though, was there ever a leaked build or something of the Saturn version? Or is it just as elusive as say, VF3 on the Saturn? Would have been pretty cool to play the Saturn version

MaxiLive

Still won't be enough to make it, Shenmue cost $47 million in 1999

It will be just not to the level you are expecting. This is probably going to be a much tighter experience, well it will be a sequel to Shenmue II as if Shenmue II came out like 1-2 years ago.

With modern tools creating a game of Shenmue scale is probably fairly simple in comparison to how it was in 1999.

Sega still need to get in contact with the guy who created this and have him lead a ShenmueHD reboot

53EE653F486967001D

I know he has just ported some environments and upped a few assets but it already looks pretty impressive!

Dudes are you FUCKING SERIOUS, I just started watching a long play through with text annotations of Shenmue 1 and what the actual fuck, the atmosphere in this game is insane, it's better than a lot of movies, the animations for their time are unreal and the music.. wtf this music is PUMPED...

I can't believe I missed this game back then...

SRTtoZ

I really hope Sega sees the reaction to Shenmue 3 and the amount of money people are throwing at it and chooses to do an HD remaster of 1 and 2, or fuck it, even just put them out without remastering them. I haven't played them since I owned an Xbox and I don't feel like going out and buying old hardware just to play 2 games. Sega, PLS

Dudes are you FUCKING SERIOUS, I just started watching a long play through with text annotations of Shenmue 1 and what the actual fuck, the atmosphere in this game is insane, it's better than a lot of movies, the animations for their time are unreal and the music.. wtf this music is PUMPED...

I can't believe I missed this game back then...

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed I missed the game back then too.

Looks like it would have been an awesome experience.

JimiNutz

Banned
Oh man I just had a few hours session on Shenmue 2 on Xbox (through 360).

It really hasn't aged as badly as I thought. The only thing not modern is the turning circle and camera controls on d-pad/thumbs.

It's so peaceful and tranquil and really nice to play.

The notepad, like an old friend.

The music is still STUNNING of course.

I love how simple it is. Simple but with underlying depth. You don't feel overwhelmed by icons and stuff to do, I mean there IS stuff to do, but you find it by yourself.

The QTEs are even good.

It's also comically great with the weird Japanese -> English dialogue and quirky characters.

I completed the section about the Wude. Hitting the tree so the blossoms fall, the barber telling you not to move.

Ahhhhh, I am so hyped.

Reading this just made me order a copy on Amazon. The first game is one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time but I'm ashamed to say that I never finished the second one (mainly because I thought the franchise was dead and didn't want to be left waiting to find out what happened).

Now that 3 is definitely happening, I've gotta play 2 to completion and am really looking forward to it!

MaxiLive

I really hope Sega sees the reaction to Shenmue 3 and the amount of money people are throwing at it and chooses to do an HD remaster of 1 and 2, or fuck it, even just put them out without remastering them. I haven't played them since I owned an Xbox and I don't feel like going out and buying old hardware just to play 2 games. Sega, PLS

I'm hoping for the same as well. Surely if the Kickstarter produces somewhere in the region of 5-8 million with 60-100k backers that shows there is a pretty great interest in the franchise hopefully enough for Sega to get a team on it!

I think remaster might be asking for a bit much though as that would be a lot of work but maybe a HD up scale and a bit of cleaning of some assets/textures and sound recordings if they have the uncompressed versions sitting in a vault somewhere. If there were to do a remaster it would probably get slated for not redoing all the VO, UI, next gen lighting and all that jazz.

MaddenNFL64

I believe that was the cost for both Shenmue I and II, and it also factors in the development period from Saturn> Dreamcast (development of new engines, dev tool etcs).

With CryEngine, Unity, and UE4, the price of making a game of the scope of Shenmue isn't even near 40 million. Now a game the scope of GTA V is a different story.

Mr. RPG

Watching the interview with Yu on Playstation with Sony's Gio Corsi just got me even more excited to be honest. They seem really enthusiastic for the project and said they're partners all the way. Really hyped to see people excited about this game.

If you've not seen it. Watch here and skip to 51:07: http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998

Not really an interview though. Yu Suzuki didn't speak at all. :p

Edit: Nevermind, this is the beginning of the interview.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Has there been anything said about what studio will be doing the actual development work? Something the size of Shenmue is going to need a pretty large dev staff.

Also worth noting that Yu said this in the interview about Shenmue 3:

"Shenmue 1 & 2, for those of you that remember and played, were very much focused on freedom, focused on the open world and choices that the player makes. That was a big challenge for us at the time but we pulled it off.

This time we're going to of course keep those elements but we're going to go in some different directions. I want to focus a lot on the relationship with Shenhua and Ryo himself and see how they grow as people together"

MaddenNFL64

Has there been anything said about what studio will be doing the actual development work? Something the size of Shenmue is going to need a pretty large dev staff.

Ys Team is. Bet they're hiring a bunch of people in the next few months.

Also worth noting that Yu said this in the interview about Shenmue 3:

"Shenmue 1 & 2, for those of you that remember and played, were very much focused on freedom, focused on the open world and choices that the player makes. hat was a big challenge for us at the time but we pulled it off.

This time we're going to of course keep those elements but we're going to go in some different directions. I want to focus a lot on the relationship with Shenhua and Ryo himself and see how they grow as people together"

Hmm, so if we're following Shenhua, and Ryo, are we even gonna get to the Chi You Men?

Krejlooc

Banned
People who didnt' even support the game too.

But what about my slopes, they could get slippery!

It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing, dudes! I had no problem funding the game to get it made, nor would I have a problem buying the game after they were privately funded, but I have a HUGE problem with giving them my money in return for the game if they were already funded! What if this leads to other games I want to exist turning to kickstarter? The horror!

Moofers

They keep this pace up they're going to need some new stretch goals and tiers.

This. The reward tiers are not that great IMO. No physical PS4 version? That's laaaame. I understand PC is way cheaper to make but Sony is involved now so I fully expect discs to be an option.

Past

Finished Shenmue II like 10+ times during my teen years, one of my favorite game of all time. I've never played Shenmue 1 though since I never had a Dreamcast. How has it aged compared to II? Really want to play it during the summer.

Tabby

I mean fuck I don't even care if they remaster it. I was a little'un when they released Shenmue 1.
They could just put out the same game but on modern consoles and I'd still buy it.

Mr. RPG

Finished Shenmue II like 10+ times during my teen years, one of my favorite game of all time. I've never played Shenmue 1 though since I never had a Dreamcast. How has it aged compared to II? Really want to play it during the summer.

In my opinion, Shenmue I is the better game. The beginning of that game is timeless.

Did you watch Shenmue: The Movie or something? How did you know what was going on in Shenmue II?

Past

In my opinion, Shenmue I is the better game. The beginning of that game is timeless.

Did you watch Shenmue: The Movie or something? How did you know what was going on in Shenmue II?

Yeah, I watched the movie that was included with the copy of the game. Even if I didn't, I don't think I would've been confused? I mean the whole premise of the game was basically you tracking down some guy that killed your father. Didn't need much more explanation than that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom