• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime WSJ Interview: Amiibos & Skylanders, Wii U Sales, future plans

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06...ls-aime-talks-amiibo-and-the-skylanders-deal/

WSJ: Sony’s and Microsoft’s consoles have far outsold the Wii U. What’s your strategy to come out ahead?

Fils-Aime: The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation. The other piece I would highlight is this is a global business. Don’t just look at what’s happening here in the U.S. Look at what’s happening globally.

From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors.

We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tired of hearing from Reggie the last few days. I feel like there are 100 threads about something this PR mouthpiece has said. I can't stand how he spins things nowadays. It's ridiculous. I can't believe people even buy it.

jholmes

Gonzo buried the fucking lead. Check this out:

WSJ: What’s your favorite amiibo?
Fils-Aime: Link. I’m a huge “Legend of Zelda” fan.

41WeuBD%2BUYL._SY300_.jpg

This fucking thing? Does he even know what the amiibos look like?

He doesn't say that NX is the home console. But we do know he's making another one.

Also this.

"The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation"

This is true of the XB1 and PS4... Wii U not so much.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/miyamoto-confirms-work-underway-on-new-nintendo-co/1100-6424313/

"It seems like we've managed to do that this year and people are very happy with what we've done on Wii U. For the time being, our focus is on the Wii U hardware, but Nintendo as a whole has groups working on ideas for new hardware systems. While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be."

"The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation"

This is true of the XB1 and PS4... Wii U not so much.

Going by what Nintendo has (n't) shown at this E3, Wii U has until 2016 and that's it. Well if you don't count Bloodstained which is coming to Wii U in 2017.

Skyzard

Banned
That was a dig at MS in Japan right? Reggie's dishing it out recently ... but 2 nintendo gens for 1 sony/ms? common...walls are closing in.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
He didn't say NX is a home console

Lol at being proud of doing better than Microsoft in Japan.

Its actually doing better than PS4 and Vita in Japan too, 2nd best selling system. Not that it means anything of cause (despite what the vita fans will want you to think about 2nd place position in Japan).

Its actually doing better than PS4 and Vita in Japan too, 2nd best selling system. Not that it means anything of cause (despite what the vita fans will want you to think about 2nd place position in Japan).

no it isn't?

m9QRwht.png

Everybody knows that Dedede is the best Amiibo. Certainly not Link with his piss yellow stand and perpetual ground stare.

"Well, the race isn't over yet. Even though we're pretty much wrapped up and working on getting the new console out ASAP. We still might catch up. People want the F2P board game of Animal Crossing, right?"

Mory Dunz

It's doing better than the PS4 still, but not the Vita.

...You didn't go the MC threads for just this week and see it in 2nd and make that statement right???

lol that reminds me of when the Vita was ahead of the 3DS for a week or two last year, and we saw "Well the Vita is outselling the 3DS in Japan" repeatedly.

don't do that pls.

NX is the only platform they've announced, so one can infer that, based on this quote, it at least has a home console component of some kind. Whether or not it turns out to be a "hybrid" like many people have speculated remains to be seen.

Sophia

"From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors."

I mean, this kind of sounds impressive when you look at it out of context. Not so much when you look at Media Create threads and take into account all the factors. Can't speak for Europe although I imagine from other reactions in this thread it's not too much better.

no it isn't?

As of this Media Create thread, it appears the Wii U is doing better in lifetime sales than the PS4, but is getting beaten by the Vita. And both systems are selling better this year than the Wii U. This is a week old tho.

I don't think his comment is any sort of "dig". It's just true. Nintendo does have more mindshare and success in certain regions than some of their direct competitors.
rofl

Aroll

Is that from the same question? It doesn't feel like it. I need some context.

It is. He quoted the entire reply to the question.

NX = Home Console, as that is the only "in production" hardware Nintendo talked about publicly to this point. So there you have it - E3 2016 is the "reveal" of Nintendo's next home console.

SalvaPot

So where exactly does it says the NX is their next home console? It says they are working on one, but they don´t say NX is it.

NX could still be the handheld and the next console still doesn´t have a public codename. Come on people stop jumping to conclusions.

Occam

Please feel free to stop by in the JP sales threads and educate yourself.

Jigorath

Banned
From a Nintendo perspective, we clearly have strength here in the Americas, we have strength in Europe and we have strength in Japan. That isn’t necessarily true of some of our more direct competitors.

hahahahahahahahaha

NeoXChaos

What a difference a year makes. We were singing Nintendo praises a year ago and are now calling for resignations and petitions. Nintendo fans are a very diverse group.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

hatchx

Banned
Fils-Aime: The time frame that these systems are sold is quite long, and right now we’re still at the very early stages of the current generation. The other piece I would highlight is this is a global business. Don’t just look at what’s happening here in the U.S. Look at what’s happening globally.

Such a spin. Suggesting the generation is still early as if WiiU will make a comeback.

Top Bottom