• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

We saw it in motion so who cares about screenshots?

The weird image quality in Shadowfall* was one of the reasons I coudn't really enjoy its visuals.
Direct Feed screenshots give me a way better idea of the visuals than a compressed youtube video.

*I'm not talking about the resolution shenanigans in multiplayer.

I have a hard time being excited for this game due to Geurilla Games history... their greatest achievement being 'most graphics' so far. They've just made profoundly mediocre games and I have a hard time believing they (or at least their directors) can make the shift to making a great game...

Still, I want this game to be good. The overall design makes me hopeful!

they hired some experienced people from the industry (that worked on RPG Games) for this game

Fallout Storywriter
Witcher Lead Designer and many more from CD Projekt Red

fastmower

The weird image quality in Shadowfall* was one of the reasons I coudn't really enjoy its visuals.
Direct Feed screenshots give me a way better idea of the visuals than a compressed youtube video.

*I'm not talking about the resolution shenanigans in multiplayer.

What weird image quality?

Kz1 was mediocre or even straight up bad, shellshock nam was mediocre to bad, kz liberation was solid but short, kz2 was good, kz3 was quite a step down, killzone sf was incredibly dull, and killzone mercs was solid.

Theres no narrative, they don't have a fantastic resume.

I can give you Killzone 1 and Shellshock. The rest of their games are perfectly fine Killzone 2 and onwards (well, I've not played Liberation so can't judge that one).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I can give you Killzone 1 and Shellshock. The rest of their games are perfectly fine Killzone 2 and onwards (well, I've not played Liberation so can't judge that one).

I mean opinions? The games all received mixed receptions. Kz3 was almost universally considered a step down by fans and critics. Mercs has a cult following but had mixed reception. Liberation was solid not spectacular. Again there is no narrative to be pushed, their only universal acclaim is kz2 and honestly not everyone was crazy about the weighted feel. Shadow fall was garbageeeee so boring, so empty. The game sold millions and the community struggled to take off because of how dull the game was. I think they have potential and horizon looks like they're tapping into that. However its easy to see why not everyone is high on GG

One concern is there may be a lack of content in the game. If humans are so small and isolated you would imagine you could travel a while without seeing any humans. Not like Witcher where you only have to ride about a minute in any direction to find people

napata

I've only played SF but the singleplayer was terrible. Idk about the multiplayer because I didn't play it but I heard it was dead in less than a month so it couldn't have been very good either.

The side-content in any Infamous game is hot garbage, though. It is possible to have both an interesting and vast world. We don't have to have one or the other.

The main quest matters way more and one can argue that bloating up your open world takes resources away from making what you have even better. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere there, especially for a first party game that won't have a budget or the scale of a GTA game. A 20 hour game that feels fresh throughout is way better than a 10 hour campaign set in a bloated open world with 40 hours of side activities.

Infamous Second Son could have done with better side quests but the main campaign and size of the world were perfect in scale. The only massive open world I've really enjoyed recently has been GTAV and even there I pretty much ignored a lot of the side activities. Outside of that one game that's one of the greatest of all time made by one of the best studios of all time on a USD 250m budget over 6 years, I can't find a single truly massive open world I liked because something (usually the main story) suffers badly as a result of the bloat.

nib95

Banned
I've only played SF but the singleplayer was terrible. Idk about the multiplayer because I didn't play it but I heard it was dead in less than a month so it couldn't have been very good either.

Shadow Fall's multiplayer was incredible. Problem is its not very casual friendly, and on top of that it released alongside Battlefield 4 and COD, so it never really stood a chance. Killzone 2's multiplayer is among the best of all time, topped only by CS and CSS imo.

Walpurgis

Banned

As a Killzone 2 fan, Killzone 3 was a slap in the face. They took everything that was unique and great about Killzone 2 and threw it out the window in an effort to pander to CoD players. Killzone 3 did okay on metacritic but I consider it a bad game. It was rushed, reeked of focus testing and for some reason, even looked worse graphically. I couldn't even look at Killzone: Shadow Fall and the shit reviews didn't help.

Guerilla Games has broken people's hearts so many times that I can understand people being cautious about Horizon. There is always the chance that the game ends up being less Witcher 3 and more Skyrim because some focus testers wanted that. But make no mistake, Guerilla Games is more than capable of making great games. The question is, will they?

Sayad

early in the fight, the dino had some flying drone shooting laser from above, but we never see them again after that, I wonder what's going on there.
pvtMFqH.jpg
Those aren't drones, looks like the dino fire them in the air and they try to kamikaze on you. The lasers just point to where they're going to kamikaze, none of them remain in the air after firing(since they kamikaze) and you can see the trail of smoke coming from the dino firing them upward. They're sort of a powerful attack with limited number of usage.

Gurish

The meat of the stream as far as Horizon goes was developers talking in detail about the mechanics of the game. They talked while the trailer played in the background, giving commentary on specific things. They went into detail about game mechanics, the abilities of the enemies, and Aloy (also how to pronounce her name).

They put a camera on Thundermaw as it sat in idle animation, in the environment the trailer takes place, while a dev talked about stuff. This idle animation of thundermaw was the only unique Horizon footage. It showed all of the damage it sustained over it's life from tribes it crossed. A significant amount of spears all over it's body. Sparks flying near damaged parts of it's body that revealed the delicate electrical innards.

These Thundermaws have a ton of abilities, it's up to Aloy to decide which ones she will take out if she feels like hunting Thundermaws for some reason. The one in the trailer was damaged so it couldn't do but so much as it had features that stopped working due to it's damage. This effectively made it a lower level Thundermaw compared to a fully whole thundermaw which just sounded overpowered by what the developer described that this thing is capable of. She shot the disk launcher that it used on her and turned it back on it. When she slides under it she's shooting stamina canisters which makes it so the Thundermaw can only do a few of it's abilities. They also mentioned that you can just run away in this situation, but it wouldn't make for a good presentation given the time they had. While running you can set up traps and whatnot if you still want it taken out or slowed.

Just ask about the information from that stream, that's all that was new. He did confirm that you would be able to go to the broken city that's showed at the end.
Thank you very much for this info!

Ploid 3.0

Thank you very much for this info!

Another thing, she was hunting those green canisters from the herd to use for crafting. She was on a mission/quest for them. It wasn't for food. The tribe have a lot of food since animals still exist, something just happened to the humans. Nature thrives still, no need to use the robots as a food source, as some people thought during the stream, but they are quite handy for armor and weapon crafting.

Kz1 was mediocre or even straight up bad, shellshock nam was mediocre to bad, kz liberation was solid but short, kz2 was good, kz3 was quite a step down, killzone sf was incredibly dull, and killzone mercs was solid.

Theres no narrative, they don't have a fantastic resume.

The first Killzone was enjoyable, despite its rachitic framerate. The second one was excellent, and so was liberation. Killzone 3, just like Shadow Fall, was ok...

This was one of the highlights of E3 for me, a brand new, amazing looking IP but not only did we get the usual teaser trailer, but it went seamlessly into gameplay, normally we don't get gameplay on a debut trailer for a brand new IP, insane stuff.

Greatness Awaits, Sony really Wasn't kidding. I know Sony are getting a bit of stick for not having many exclusives so far but with the amazing stuff coming next year, Sony have clearly let their devs take their time to deliver some impressive games, just look at the stuff coming:

Horizon
Uncharted 4
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian
Street Fighter 5
Persona 5
Rime
The Tomorrow Children
No Man's Sky

There is also a good chance we will see a new God of War and GT 7 could even show up at the end of the year, PD have been working on it for a while now, so it could make the back end of 2016, but either way, next year is looking very strong for Sony.

AerialAir

Banned
I'm getting my monster hunting fix on the 3DS, so I think I'll pass this one, though, it does look like it has some great gameplay and it is gorgeous!

Zoetis

Banned
My personal guess of their future pipeline is something like this :

Amsterdam Team B : Killzone Shadowfall
Cambridge : RIGS
Amsterdam Team A : Horizon
Cambridge + Amsterdam Team B : new Killzone (Cambridge on SP, Amsterdam on MP)
Amsterdam Team A : Horizon 2

no. killzone is buried

Game4life

Banned
I'd say they made the best FPS of last gen in KZ2 but that's just me..

KZ2's guns makes shooting in every other fps last gen seem like one is firing pea shooters. KZ2 has the best art, the best gunplay, the best atmosphere and the best multiplayer mode in any military shooter released last gen. You are not alone.

At least the franchise ended with the best game in the series.

The best game in the series is this

2wqzjnqxdjj6.gif

2114128yojqc.gif

behw1ca3jzz.gif

dvoniry8juz.gif

Drencrom

The fact that anyone can call those dreadlocks is bizarre to me.

What's even more bizarre that there was people that thought white people can't have dreads. Apparently it's forbidden and 'cultural appropriation'.

Trying to stir shit up over fucking nothing at it's finest.

If you are talking about Infamous Second Son that game had a really bad open world design. Just copy pasted missions (and boring ones at that) all over it. The game was fun but the world was boring. I havent played The Witcher 3 yet but from what i have heard it does open world right.

ISS didn't have bad open world design. Don't confuse bad/uninteresting open world GAME design(missions) and a lack of things to do with design/size of the world itself.

Isn't Witcher 3 also quite large? Like, the biggest open world on consoles at the moment -- larger than GTA 5, etc.

I haven't played The Witcher 3, but I doubt it's larger than Just Cause 2 which is 400 square miles, or 20 miles across (not counting diagonal; don't even know how to work that out).

That being said, I'm more of a fan of smaller more meaningful open worlds. JC2 is an amazing playground but gets very boring to traverse long distances.

VanWinkle

I want the world to be huge...IF its varied (seems to be based on trailer), has stuff to do, and has good traversal mechanics, which we haven't seen yet.

I don't want it to be big just for the sake of it, but I honestly like huge sprawling open worlds to explore and get lost in. It excites me when done well. To the person who said Infamous SS is a perfect open world size, I completely disagree. It's really small, and you feel like you've been everywhere several times after just five or six hours. I loved the design and look of its world, but it felt way too small to me. A similar game that has a bigger and more fun open world would be Sunset Overdrive.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
t03.jpg

Are you telling me I can go anywhere in this area?
This is too much.

I remember seeing this exact spot and thinking that there's no way we will be able to go there. That's either during a cutscene and we never get to see it or it's at the edge of the map. It looks like the areas Bungie claimed we would be able to trouble to be just ended up being backdrops to the real gameplay areas.

I really hope I'm wrong, though. Pretty amazing if that's a playable area.

kyser73

I forget which site it was on but there were comments in an article complaining that she had dreads when she's not black... Might have been MarySue.

What's even more bizarre that there was people that thought white people can't have dreads. Apparently it's forbidden and 'cultural appropriation'.

Trying to stir shit up over fucking nothing at it's finest.

Add those to the 'How come the white person is dressed as a native American?', completely ignoring the fact that white people have also dressed in furs and other animal skins in their past.

lil

I am still stunned that a game like Horizon exists. What a breath of fresh air. Robo dinos, awesome female protag, post-apocalyptic yet prehistoric... so many cool things going for it. But since they're doing a game set in the future where there's no preconceptions or historical weight that usually comes with the genre, I hope they take the opportunity to make the game racially diverse. I wanna say I saw a few PoC in the trailer so I'm optimistic.

Harlequin

I see that tweezers and eyeshadow were one of the first inventions of this post apocalyptic world

At least the "eyeshadow" could simply be coal or pulverised minerals. Lots of early cultures used that sort of stuff as makeup (I believe rimming one's eyes with coal was originally done to protect them from the sun - no idea if that's actually effective, though). If that's the case, then I'd expect male characters to use it, as well, though. Would be kind of a missed opportunity if this culture had exactly the same gender stereotypes as ours.

Garlador

At least the "eyeshadow" could simply be coal or pulverised minerals. Lots of early cultures used that sort of stuff as makeup (I believe rimming one's eyes with coal was originally done to protect them from the sun - no idea if that's actually effective, though). If that's the case, then I'd expect male characters to use it, as well, though. Would be kind of a missed opportunity if this culture had exactly the same gender stereotypes as ours.

Well, certain beauty standards go back thousands of years. I think it was confirmed the Egyptians plucked their eyebrows too.
http://beautyblitz.com/history-eyebrows#slide-2

Though the big question I have is if she shaves her armpits...

I see that tweezers and eyeshadow were one of the first inventions of this post apocalyptic world

Pshh! I can't say anything about the eyeshadow, but my eyebrows are fairly thin and shaped, and I never touch them. Hers are even thicker than mine, so it didn't even cross my mind that they looked manicured.

UrbanRats

I don't care about make up, since it's a very fantasy setting, but i wish they gave her some war face-paint, like:

Nothing extreme, like, i know they still want the main character to be pretty and relatable, but something like the above would fit, imo.

Top Bottom