• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Jac_Solar

I haven't played The Witcher 3, but I doubt it's larger than Just Cause 2 which is 400 square miles, or 20 miles across (not counting diagonal; don't even know how to work that out).

That being said, I'm more of a fan of smaller more meaningful open worlds. JC2 is an amazing playground but gets very boring to traverse long distances.

I meant a fully "designed" world, as opposed to Just Cause which is mostly procedurally/randomly generated.

Harlequin

Well, certain beauty standards go back thousands of years. I think it was confirmed the Egyptians plucked their eyebrows too.
http://beautyblitz.com/history-eyebrows#slide-2

Though the big question I have is if she shaves her armpits...

In ancient Egypt men and women both wore the same amount of makeup, jewellery, etc., though. (Well, rich men and women did.) In that sense the gender-specific beauty standards were quite different from today's.

Zoetis

Banned
I remember seeing this exact spot and thinking that there's no way we will be able to go there. That's either during a cutscene and we never get to see it or it's at the edge of the map. It looks like the areas Bungie claimed we would be able to trouble to be just ended up being backdrops to the real gameplay areas.

I really hope I'm wrong, though. Pretty amazing if that's a playable area.

i really have to disappoint you, that's all real and playable. no cgi, no cutscene.

I'd be alright with actual horse mounts (ie not robots), but I don't know about flying. I mean, the people are still primitive in their own way, and primitive people didn't/don't really need to fly, it'd just be a fun extra for the player. Personally, I'd rather stay on the ground and be immersed in the story; it also cuts down on the size of the world, so what we do see is beautiful and detailed without them having to worry about draw distance and massive ceilings. Plus, flying eliminates all the wall-jumping, super-specific-spot, get-headbutted-into-the-tree-to-shutter-up-this-tree-and-only-this-tree glitchy fun that games generally have if you can't just fly everywhere.*

*I haven't played a polished console game in a while, but this is still a thing that happens, I'm sure.

dumbo

I'd be alright with actual horse mounts (ie not robots)
I believe in one of the interviews they mentioned that all large animals are extinct - only small stuff like rabbits are still alive.

But, afaict, robots are ambivalent towards humans. In the demo they were simply protecting their pack from a predator (Aloy)... and I think somewhere there's an image of a domesticated robot dog.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Aloy used a robo-mount of some type.

Most interesting tidbit is that Killzone's apparently dead for good.

So what could Cambridge's project aside from Rigs be if it's not Killzone...? :O

I've only played SF but the singleplayer was terrible. Idk about the multiplayer because I didn't play it but I heard it was dead in less than a month so it couldn't have been very good either.

The multiplayer was not even close to dead in a month lol. The single player was not really all that bad on the hard difficulty. Using the OWL was fun for the most part. I don't really get how people think this game was awful in single player. Sure, the story was a huge letdown and it was obvious they were a launch game but it's easily one of the better launch games out there.

Tommi84

Someone posted this on 9gag:

A building from London spotted:
aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Don't know from where they have taken this and I wonder how much of a coincidence is this.

aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Don't know from where they have taken this and I wonder how much of a coincidence is this.
I mean, we know it's on earth. And the last area the trailer panned over was the UK. But England (or most anywhere in Europe) seems like a bad place to set it. There's not enough environment variety. I'd set it in the Americas (western half of the U.S. or western half of South America) for maximum environmental diversity. China could probably work pretty well, too.

Not being able to ride the larger machines is a bummer. In too many games with dragons and other large creatures, you can only fight them. But oh well, it's a minor thing. I'll get over it. I just really like games that let you fly and whatnot. Now all that said, if the game allows me to scavenge the wings of that giant robo eagle and turn them into a pair of wings that allow Aloy to fly, I'll be one happy camper. Please, Guerrilla! Make it so!

Carn82

aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Maybe it's a bit like Gotham city in the Nolan movies. It's clear that it was set in Chicago and NYC etc, but in the end it's Gotham.

Majestad

Banned
I hope the main characters isn't as talky as the reveal trailer. That can get annoying really fast (see Tomb Raider)

Other than that the potential this has is insane. Looked amazing.

aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Yep, that building's in London, the area's called Elephant & Castle, it's a new block of residential housing. I live up the road from it and pass it on my way to work.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I mean, we know it's on earth. And the last area the trailer panned over was the UK. But England (or most anywhere in Europe) seems like a bad place to set it. There's not enough environment variety.
Europe is plenty diverse, but in any case your premise is based on how these locations appear *now*. All bets are off for how they'd have changed given a 1000 yrs of climate change and whatever apocalyptic event wiped out civilization in the first place.

Alright so Zoetis appears to have some insider information. But how are we certain that all his claims about Horizon are 100% correct? All I know thus far is that he correctly predicted that TLG would be at E3. If his claims about Horizon are also correct then he is either a quite important person at Sony or connected to one.

aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Don't think it's a coincidence, but it might be just used for inspiration, doesn't prove the setting of Horizon is in the UK. It might as well be some fictional land mass.

Respawn

Banned
Europe is plenty diverse, but in any case your premise is based on how these locations appear *now*. All bets are off for how they'd have changed given a 1000 yrs of climate change and whatever apocalyptic event wiped out civilization in the first place.
Very good point.

I don't care about make up, since it's a very fantasy setting, but i wish they gave her some war face-paint, like:

Nothing extreme, like, i know they still want the main character to be pretty and relatable, but something like the above would fit, imo.

As an option this would be nice, but I'd prefer the default model to be as they've shown her.

Has anything been said about character customization?
Different clothing?

I wonder if this game even takes place on Earth.

Killzone looked like a futuristic Earth but it was Vekta in Alpha Centauri.

I could see them doing a different planet in a different star system

Edit: What if this IS Vekta?

1536253-m_night_shyamalan.jpg

I mean, we know it's on earth. And the last area the trailer panned over was the UK. But England (or most anywhere in Europe) seems like a bad place to set it. There's not enough environment variety. I'd set it in the Americas (western half of the U.S. or western half of South America) for maximum environmental diversity. China could probably work pretty well, too.

Sorry but this sounds like someone who knows nothing about the diversity of the UK's countryside. I'll tell you, there's plenty.

Top Bottom