• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 Character Hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fader

Probably linked already somewhere in this thread, but: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/29/results-capcoms-street-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

Yeah, she actually edges out Juri as the 7th most fan-requested character overall. Most of the Top 10 characters are from the "iconic" set (Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, etc.); it's R. Mika, Karin, and Q that stand out as being the ones that are unusually popular for how rarely they appear in games, which explains how they make it to the top of "leaked" lists.

Though, of course, it's worth noting that Capcom doesn't seem to actually care about these surveys, given how incredibly unpopular Birdie is.

using one poll is kina unfair since this can easily be a thing of absence making the heart grow fonder.

Village

using one poll is kina unfair since this can easily be a thing of absence making the heart grow fonder.

Harada talks about this with R mika , specifically.

Also it isn't exactly Representative of everyone who buys street fighter, or a potential market

New page: Not sure if old but someone pointed out on reddit that the character art shows some new stages.

Cammy shows the Train station
sfv-cammy-untitled.png

Chun Li shows China
sfv-chunli-art-edit.jpg

and new ones.
Ryu
sfv-ryu-art-edit.jpg

Nash
sfv-nash-art-edit.jpg

Birdie
sfv_character_art_-_birdie.jpg

Bison
sfv-mbison-art-edit.jpg

Plus the whole "vote for this character so he/she can show up again". Still beyond those 4 I mentioned I can't think of any female Street Fighter that would be more popular than her

Also I'm really curious about Nash's stage since that's Gill's stage. The Urien dream lives

Well, yes. There's also going to be a bias based on the fact that people who would have taken Capcom's survey are more likely to be lifelong Street Fighter fans (as casual players probably don't care enough to bother), meaning they're going to have disproportionate fondness for characters that only appeared in less-popular games.

Though, overall it does seem like a pretty solid list. Granted, I'm just going off of gut here, but most of those characters seem to be about where I'd expect them (Ryu, Sakura, and Akuma stupidly high, Birdie and Rufus incredibly low) based on friends I know who play Street Fighter.

fader

New page: Not sure if old but someone pointed out on reddit that the character art shows some new stages.

and new ones.

I kinda noticed this along time ago. thought it was common knowledge *shrug*

charlie's is especially interesting and puts my speculation of Urien even higher

XenoRaven

One thing I'm liking about the game so far (that may be undone later) is that it has sort of a "grimy" theme. The game is called "Street Fighter" and is about martial arts masters who fight in tournaments sactioned by organized crime lords. In SFIV, there were a bunch of locales that didn't really fit this theme to me. There's a cruise ship stage, or one where people fight over a pond in the middle of a South American jungle, or one in the African desert where the only audience is a bunch of hippos.

So far, the stages in SFV have been in the middle of a street in what appears to be China or Hong Kong and a train station in London. You can knock your opponent into the back of a restaurant and have noodles fall on them, or knock them into a public bus. In the train station stage, there's a public bathroom on the left side with a rolling garbage bin outside of it. One of the new character reveals is a notorious crime lackey who used to work for Shadaloo but has since quit and has apparently developed an affinity for donuts. He uses dirty tactics to fight by using his chains, energy drink cans, and banana peels to his advantage. To me, these things capture the essence of what underground fighting should look like. It's not glamorous and it's not supposed to be. I hope the theme continues, but I guess we'll see.

Coda

alex confirmed???

Tm7n7G3.jpg

That's fake, just an artist rendition, though a convincing one at that. I bet if he's in though he won't look too off from that. I feel like he'll have some unique stylistic touches that separate him from 3S because so far every character in the game has an updated look like Cammy with her utility straps or Birdie with well Birdie.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not a fan of R. Mika or Karin at all. I hate R. Mika's design and find her moves strafe with the odd bum attacks. Karin's design seems boring and generic to me. Also I prefer other rekka characters to her like Feilong or Abel. But if I had to choose between R. Mika and Karin I'd choose R. Mika.

Out of the characters that are not in USFIV. I'd like to see Maki and Sodom return. But for some strange reason no one seems to care for those 2 instead everyone wants R. Mika and Karin.

As for SF3 characters that were not in USFIV. I would like to see Q return as well as Urien. And of course Alex which is highly requested by alot of people.

Shadoken

Yea am not buying that Karin is the most popular Female SF character one bit.

Characters who havent been in the franchise for a while tend to rise way higher than they already are. Same case with Elena,Poison,Dudley..etc They were all super high in the polls before they got into SF4,SFxT. After which they dropped to their actual position in popularity. You can expect the same thing with Karin,Alex,Urien..etc

Yea am not buying that Karin is the most popular Female SF character one bit.

Characters who havent been in the franchise for a while tend to rise way higher than they already are. Same case with Elena,Poison,Dudley..etc They were all super high in the polls before they got into SF4,SFxT. After which they dropped to their actual position in popularity. You can expect the same thing with Karin,Alex,Urien..etc

As I said, the survey certainly isn't a perfect representation of the community.

That said, your logic is completely flawed here. Look at the bottom of the list: it's almost entirely occupied by characters that haven't been in a game for a very long time, and/or were only in a single game. The only newer characters that rate that poorly were Rufus and El Fuerte.

Likewise, look at the top of the list: most of the Top 10 characters are, in fact, ones that appear in every or almost every game since the time they were introduced, with a couple of obvious outliers. In general, characters who have appeared in more games rank higher on the list than characters who have appeared in fewer games, with a few obvious outliers (Juri's, Karin, and Q are oddly popular for having so few appearances; Boxer and Honda are oddly unpopular for how often they've appeared in games).

Proper logic for questioning the results, for example: Q is very highly rated, despite the fact that millions of modern Street Fighter players probably have no idea who Q is, given that Third Strike, while hugely popular in the tournament/competitive circuit, wasn't nearly as popular with general audiences. Therefore you can probably surmise that most of the respondents to this survey were hardcore fighting game players, who only make up a relatively small percentage of the multi-million player audience of Street Fighter. (Of course, putting Q in to satisfy the competitive scene wouldn't be a bad idea, regardless, since tournament play provides a substantial amount of advertising for the game.)

Next reveal is probably at Comic-con. Ono is doing a panel for SF5
http://shoryuken.com/2015/06/26/cap...er-v-panel-at-san-diego-comic-con-next-month/

I'd guess that it'll be a single character reveal since EVO is happening the following week and there will be another reveal there. Hopefully we'll get a new stage as well.

Speaking of EVO, I wonder if they'll roll out Karin for that event (assuming she's in). ChocoBlanka interviewed some people from the FGC like Justin, PR Balrog, KBrad etc. and all of them wanted to see her back in the game. But she'd also be a perfect fit for a TGS reveal since she was the #1 character on the Japanese list from that Capcom poll.

Speaking of character art and stages, something spotted by a reddit user :

Nash SF5 stage:

Gill stage in SF3.2 :
hqdefault.jpg

Notice the egyptian-like statue in both background, very very similar.
After Nash forehead gem, it kinda confirms a link between him and the Illuminati, and would support Urien presence in the cast (rather than Gill since he's basically a boss version of Urien).

One thing I'm liking about the game so far (that may be undone later) is that it has sort of a "grimy" theme. The game is called "Street Fighter" and is about martial arts masters who fight in tournaments sactioned by organized crime lords. In SFIV, there were a bunch of locales that didn't really fit this theme to me. There's a cruise ship stage, or one where people fight over a pond in the middle of a South American jungle, or one in the African desert where the only audience is a bunch of hippos.

So far, the stages in SFV have been in the middle of a street in what appears to be China or Hong Kong and a train station in London. You can knock your opponent into the back of a restaurant and have noodles fall on them, or knock them into a public bus. In the train station stage, there's a public bathroom on the left side with a rolling garbage bin outside of it. One of the new character reveals is a notorious crime lackey who used to work for Shadaloo but has since quit and has apparently developed an affinity for donuts. He uses dirty tactics to fight by using his chains, energy drink cans, and banana peels to his advantage. To me, these things capture the essence of what underground fighting should look like. It's not glamorous and it's not supposed to be. I hope the theme continues, but I guess we'll see.
well said...

petran79

Banned
Karin is not the most popular female SF character. I'd put her behind Chun Cammy Juri and Sakura at the very least

Hell Athena probably isn't even the most popular female KoF character. I'd go with Kula or Mai on that one

I admit that Karin would fit more in a game like Bloody Roar instead of SF. Same for C.Viper and El Fuerte. They're more fit for MvC

Athena, Kensou,, Ralf and Clark are of the oldest SNK characters, even predating Ryu and Ken. They were the most popular and recognizable characters for quite a while to a whole generation and those old games (Ikari Warriors, Athena and Psycho Soldier) are very popular. So maybe for KOF they're not as popular but for SNK characters they definitely are.

Proper logic for questioning the results, for example: Q is very highly rated, despite the fact that millions of modern Street Fighter players probably have no idea who Q is, given that Third Strike, while hugely popular in the tournament/competitive circuit, wasn't nearly as popular with general audiences. Therefore you can probably surmise that most of the respondents to this survey were hardcore fighting game players, who only make up a relatively small percentage of the multi-million player audience of Street Fighter. (Of course, putting Q in to satisfy the competitive scene wouldn't be a bad idea, regardless, since tournament play provides a substantial amount of advertising for the game.)

Poll results in Japan were different from the West because there even the older SF games continued to be popular in arcades. But Capcom has to find a balance between Japanese and non-Japanese playerbase. SF is perhaps the most globalised fighting game franchise.

Devid905

Another potential leaker (posted on vg4chan):
Leaking the ACTUAL SF5 roster here in the order they will be revealed. Have fun guys, you'll never find out who I am. Also looking forward to no one believing this, you can leak whatever you want cause no one will think its real

Ryu
Chun Li
Nash
Bison
Cammy
Birdy

Eagle: Teased at during Comic Con and full reveal at Evo. Will be in the beta. Not playable at Evo.
Ken: Reveal at Evo. Will be in the beta. Not playable at Evo.
Akuma: Teased at Evo and full reveal at GDC
Si-won (NEW): Korean Hapkido grappler, reveal at GDC
Karin: reveal at TGS
Dhalsim: reveal at TGS
Sabrina (NEW): German femme fatale, reveal at TGS
Urien: reveal at TGS
Lucia (NEW): Dive kick character from Final Fight. reveal in October around GDC China and Brazil Game Show time
Juri: reveal at Capcom Pro Tour Asia finals
Sakura: reveal near Dreamhack Winter dates
Alex: reveal at Capcom Cup
Guile: reveal before launch
Zephyr (NEW): Boss character, reveal before launch
Akira: From Rival Schools, planned as pre-order DLC. Will be the first DLC character which will be added in periodically, no price point but probably around $6 if you don't pre-order. Announcement will be made sometime after both betas have ended.
Vega: DLC character to be released with Akira. No price point but also looking like $6.

20 Characters on launch not counting Akira and Vega

The 16 characters thing is a rumor that came from someone mistranslating Ken Bogard. Rose will not be revealed at Comic Con nor will she be in the game. Absolutely zero plans for Sodom, Yun, Yang, Abel, R. Mika, Remy, Viper, or Ingrid. Its really funny seeing you guys insistent that they are guaranteed. DLC after Akira is up in the air but it likely isn't any of those characters, Super Turbo and Alpha characters are way more likely.

-Sincerly, DN

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Since when do so many reveals happen at GDC? Interesting list, though. Rumors are fun.

edit: Next GDC is in march, is it supposed to say Gamescom? That's when GDC Europe happens.

Kouichi

The big reason I don't believe it is that I expect some characters to get revealed on non-specific dates like Bison was. I don't think every character is going to get revealed at a big event.

Lulubop

Nash SF5 stage:

Gill stage in SF3.2 :
hqdefault.jpg

After Nash forehead gem, it kinda confirms a link between him and the Illuminati, and would support Urien presence in the cast (rather than Gill since he's basically a boss version of Urien).

Good eye and it makes sense due to Charlie's gem. Urien or Gil are seeming like a safe bet

Tizoc

Next reveal is probably at Comic-con. Ono is doing a panel for SF5
http://shoryuken.com/2015/06/26/cap...er-v-panel-at-san-diego-comic-con-next-month/

So reveal at SD CC then playable build in EVO?

Hope we get the reveals early XP

Speaking of SDCC, give us Deadpool trailer, fox pls.

Also a Shadaloo stage with a giant Bipson statue, count me in.

Nash SF5 stage:

Gill stage in SF3.2 :
hqdefault.jpg

Urien's stage in SF3 2I was in egypt incidentally enough :p

Dremark

Banned
If Eagle shows up at Comic Con, I'll be willing to believe the rest. As for now, I doubt any of it is true.

Yeah Eagle is obscure enough I'd believe anything if that part is right. Hope it is too, always liked him, even when he was just the second guy in England I'd always lose to in SF1.

Fitts

I've been working so forgive me for not keeping up with this, but do we know if there will be any character reveals at CEO? I'm assuming something is planned for EVO.

alex confirmed???

Tm7n7G3.jpg

Haha holy shit! That made me audibly gasp.

Devid905

Nah. Five characters from Japan, four Americans, three Brits, two Koreans? In the first release? I know Birdie isn't popular but this list goes way too far into the "no one asked for this" direction.
And the lack of character representation from the Central Americas and South Americas seems weird as well.

Nah. Five characters from Japan, four Americans, three Brits, two Koreans? In the first release? I know Birdie isn't popular but this list goes way too far into the "no one asked for this" direction.

Best argument right here.
Capcom will propose varied nationalities to cater to worldwide players, no way 3 out 4 english characters (would only miss Dudley) would appear in the initial roster.

That list is way too specific IMO and seems like the just went down the line and matched up characters with events. And I don't think we're gonna see Rival Schools characters in Street Fighter. (RS is my favourite fighting series and I really don't want to see it folded into SF, as they already have a ton of characters to choose from and RS definitely deserves its own new entry.)

That being said, there are a lot of characters on that list that I'd love to see. Eagle, Urien and Alex are three of my most wanted fighters. But no Rose or Abel? That's not cool. And no Canadian fighter??? (Plus, I don't think every new fighter will be from countries that already have reps.)

Nash SF5 stage:

Gill stage in SF3.2 :
hqdefault.jpg

You've just made my morning. Thanks for this.

SteelBallRun

Neo Member

I don't think race has a huge impact on character roster.
Eagle though I think is extremely likely but most people seem to think the same as well. Just going off who is developing this game. Elena, Eagle, Rolento, Karin, or a Rock clone, at least one of these guys is guaranteed.

Degen

ctrl+f "grappler"

ok

It's a bold move to put event dates in a list, so at least this one can be thrown out in two weeks if it's fake

At least it's more thought-out than the one that had Karin and no Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom