• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletraan1

Banned
ah!

Turn based

Home consoles

Not an MMO

rejoice.png
Hallelujah!

And by consoles at most he probably means PS3/PS4.

Yep. This is hitting on everything I want. One of my favorite series coming back to a home console in the same genre as the games in the series I love. Couldnt be happier.

OmegaDL50

If that's the case, then it would be the last DQ period. Without the trio, it's not DQ and the series may as well be dead.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Because this could possibly be the last console DQ game you won't get future potential releases without them?

You do realize that Horii is 61 years old, Toriyama is a year younger then Horii, and Sugiyama is 84.

It's not like they can work on the series forever. Eventually Horii will assign a successor to run Armor Project in is stead, just the same Sugiyama is at an age in which anything can happen in regards to health.

I don't think anyone expects the original trio to work on the series to their grave and they of all people deserve a chance to rest or retire.

But I definitely wouldn't say the series would die without them, I would think Horii has forethought to have contingencies in place on how the series will proceed for whoever his successor is at Armor Project.

KingBroly

Banned
So some of the people in this thread seriously believe that FFXIII can sell 2 million units to 4 million PS3s, while DQXI can't double that number on triple the install base?

It could easily sell 1 to 1.5 million on PS4 & 2 to 2.5 million on ps3, the install base is there to support it & the Dragon Quest brand is big enough to support it.

Because the active base for PS3 is starting to diminish in Japan, and when DQXI comes out it probably won't make up the majority of the sales and then you're pinning your hopes on a base that is much smaller than perceived.

Rocky

Banned
I don't understand this line of thinking. Because this could possibly be the last console DQ game you won't get future potential releases without them?

You do realize that Horii is 61 years old, Toriyama is a year younger then Horii, and Sugiyama is 84.

It's not like they can work on the series forever. Eventually Horii will assign a successor to run Armor Project in is stead, just the same Sugiyama is at an age in which anything can happen in regards to health.

I don't think anyone expects the original trio to work on the series to their grave and they of all people deserve a chance to rest or retire.

But I definitely wouldn't say the series would die without them, I would think Horii has forethought to have contingencies in place on how the series will proceed for whoever his successor is at Armor Project.

Sorry, it just wouldn't feel like DQ without Horii's vision and it would most definitely feel like a different game without Toriyama's art style. Yes, the series could go on, but it wouldn't be as good. For me, it would probably start to decline, much like the Final Fantasy series did when the original creators left.

I think it's in Square Enix' best interest to look beyond the scope of just Dragon Quest. While it's probably true that a handheld entry would sell better on the whole in Japan, but Square Enix has been investing heavily in the PS4 ecosystem. They'd have to evaluate if fewer sales of Dragon Quest XI could perhaps be compensated by increased sales of other projects. The PS4 has not been taking off yet in Japan, so they need to convince the public to do exactly that in their most important market. Dragon Quest is the biggest trump card they have in the region, or at the very least used to be, so it would be a smart move to use it. Multiplatform release could also compensate for a bit, but I don't know how much of a significant impact other home consoles will be able to have in 2016 or 2017 over there.

Sorry, it just wouldn't feel like DQ without Horii's vision and it would most definitely feel like a different game without Toriyama's art style. Yes, the series could go on, but it wouldn't be as good. For me, it would probably start to decline, much like the Final Fantasy series did when the original creators left.
While that's a fair worry, I do think we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt until they've given us reason to think otherwise. For all we know, all three could have been working closely with potential protégés that can do a respectable job at carrying the torch. They and Square Enix must be well-aware of their age, and looking towards the future.

OmegaDL50

While that's a fair worry, I do think we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt until they've given us reason to think otherwise. For all we know, all three could have been working closely with potential protégés that can do a respectable job at carrying the torch. They and Square Enix must be well-aware of their age, and looking towards the future.

Yeah Horii's story telling might not be properly recreated but I'm sure Horii has younger associates he worked with that firmly grasp his style of writing. As for Toriyama, there have been other artists that have fairly depicted his unique artstyle.

Most of these artists however recreate his own works, various Dragon Ball games for example, but I don't think it's impossible for an artist to create entirely new characters in this style that is identifiable for the Dragon Quest series.

Sugiyama music style still can probably be retained. Some tracks are even reused in newer DQ games, along with the various jingles such as when you level up, save at a church, or wipe out in combat.

I'd say the situation may be not unlike what Miyamoto is doing right now at Nintendo, he is 61 himself, and already has someone doing Mario and Zelda games in his stead when he is not directly overseeing them.

Yeah Horii's story telling might not be properly recreated but I'm sure Horii has younger associates he worked with that firmly grasp his style of writing. As for Toriyama, there have been other artists that have fairly depicted his unique artstyle.

Most of these artists however recreate his own works, various Dragon Ball games for example, but I don't think it's impossible for an artist to create entirely new characters in this style that is identifiable for the Dragon Quest series.

Sugiyama music style still can probably be retained. Some tracks are even reused in newer DQ games, along with the various jingles such as when you level up, save at a church, or wipe out in combat.

I'd say the situation may be not unlike what Miyamoto is doing right now at Nintendo, he is 61 himself, and already has someone doing Mario and Zelda games in his stead when he is not directly overseeing them.

Eiichiro Oda is the only one that i can see replacing Toriyama without most of Japan rioting.
He is a workaholic too which helps :p

Eiichiro Oda is the only one that i can see replacing Toriyama without most of Japan rioting.
He is a workaholic too which helps :p
Yuck, i love Oda, but no ... no. I would love to finish One Piece before i turn 50 (so, in 19 years), let's keep any additional distraction from Oda until then ... the poor guy works himself to death already.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So the only DQ you liked was DQ9? All the rest were designed for home consoles. You can prefer to play on handheld but you were referring to the gameplay being ruined because the game would be made on a console.

This goes with what I was trying to say. Previous Dragon Quest games were designed for console before you got the stuff like Caravan Heart, Monster, etc. In SQX eyes, it could be better for them financially to make a console game that will have a better chance at establishing DQ in a new generation, than trying to put it on the safe 3DS and have somewhat guaranteed sales in Japan. Putting the game back on consoles in a time where next gen consoles on the rise versus putting it on handheld in a time where they are decreasing? I'd think the obvious choice is apparent.

This goes with what I was trying to say. Previous Dragon Quest games were designed for console before you got the stuff like Caravan Heart, Monster, etc. In SQX eyes, it could be better for them financially to make a console game that will have a better chance at establishing DQ in a new generation, than trying to put it on the safe 3DS and have somewhat guaranteed sales in Japan. Putting the game back on consoles in a time where next gen consoles on the rise versus putting it on handheld in a time where they are decreasing? I'd think the obvious choice is apparent.
And how does the decline of handhelds play a factor for DQ11? They release it at date A, and at that moment the install-base of the handheld counts, and even with a decline of x at date B, that does not reduce said install-base.
Meaning, even when the 3DS sells only 5k units in 2017, compared to ... dunno 50k in 2016 when DQ11 will be released, it will still have the install-base of x plus the 55k from 2016 and 2017.

DQ12 on the other hand will have a new situation, PS4 sales king (probably), whatever NX turns out to be and whatever its sale-numbers will be, etc...

He just need to clone himself!
That's what science's for! Oda for DQ Art Direction then! While we're at it, can we clone GRRM to get those remaining ASoIaF books out before 2025, too?

Unlike with Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama's character and monster designs for Dragon Quest aren't actually 100% original creations. All of this designs are actually suggested first by Yuji Horii, who sketches them and gives notes and instructions. So Yuji Horii is the real creative mind here.

Unlike with Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama's character and monster designs for Dragon Quest aren't actually 100% original creations. All of this designs are actually suggested first by Yuji Horii, who sketches them and gives notes and instructions. So Yuji Horii is the real creative mind here.

I really wish I could find the images, but the differences between Hori's initial designs and Toriyama's artistic interpretation are kind of hilarious. Like Toriyama was clearly pissed at the ideas Hori had for Slime, Ghost, Magician, etc at first cause they looked really bad.

Edit: not the ones I was thinking of but here are some of Hori's designs:

TLHOf13.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
And how does the decline of handhelds play a factor for DQ11? They release it at date A, and at that moment the install-base of the handheld counts, and even with a decline of x at date B, that does not reduce said install-base.
Meaning, even when the 3DS sells only 5k units in 2017, compared to ... dunno 50k in 2016 when DQ11 will be released, it will still have the install-base of x plus the 55k from 2016 and 2017.

DQ12 on the other hand will have a new situation, PS4 sales king (probably), whatever NX turns out to be and whatever its sale-numbers will be, etc...

So if handheld sales are as guaranteed as you are making them seem, wouldn't it be smarter to push the title on consoles first to guarantee their success and then release the handheld version later if at all? It doesn't matter if you are appealing to the install base of the handhelds now when we can get a pretty good idea of where most new titles land upon release. You are still catering to an audience that is not growing as opposed to an audience that will grow and continue to grow for the next several years. The ceiling for success is arguably a lot higher at this point on a newer next gen console than it is for an established handheld install base that is decreasing.

So if handheld sales are as guaranteed as you are making them seem, wouldn't it be smarter to push the title on consoles first to guarantee their success and then release the handheld version later if at all? It doesn't matter if you are appealing to the install base of the handhelds now when we can get a pretty good idea of where most new titles land upon release. You are still catering to an audience that is not growing as opposed to an audience that will grow and continue to grow for the next several years. The ceiling for success is arguably a lot higher at this point on a newer next gen console than it is for an established handheld install base that is decreasing.
Going by the traditional heavy focus of the japanese market for DQ, the audience they carter DQs games to, is either having a 3DS already (7 games released on the system so far, mainline ports/remakes and spinoffs) or is on mobile, but thankfully we can rule this out.

And i really think you over-estimate the potential of the western PS4 userbase when it comes to DQ. If there is/was an high demand for DQ in the west outside of the gaming culture in the online-space, then SQEX would have already released the 3DS ports without a hassle.
I don't think that the average joe is interested in the maybe most japanese/traditional JRPG DQ, or there are really many people out there with the "not on consoles, no buy"-mentality ... and that would be sad.
Take the Ni No Kuni sales (last number i remember was 1.4 million worldwide, and with the DS version added to that sum), i think that is a good title to compare the sales, and try to remember that the PS3 had a bigger install-base by the time that game released.

And by your logic, let me give you a similar example: Wii got a DQ spinoff early in the life-time (Iike PS4) but it only got the MMO by the time it was already about to be buried.

Oh and btw. SQEX is in no way repsonsible for guaranteeing (is that the correct grammar?) a consoles success. That's Sony in this case. And i think the PS4 can be successful enough with games like FFXV, 7 Remake (if it comes out this gen), Star Ocean 5, Tales of *insert random word here*, etc. :)

Any by the time those games are out, the PS4 might be lone and dominant leader of sales worldwide, then we have a different situation for DQ12!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Going by the traditional heavy focus of the japanese market for DQ, the audience they carter DQs games to, is either having a 3DS already (7 games released on the system so far, mainline ports/remakes and spinoffs) or is on mobile, but thankfully we can rule this out.

And i really think you over-estimate the potential of the western PS4 userbase when it comes to DQ. If there is/was an high demand for DQ in the west outside of the gaming culture in the online-space, then SQEX would have already released the 3DS ports without a hassle.
I don't think that the average joe is interested in the maybe most japanese/traditional JRPG DQ, or there are really many people out there with the "not on consoles, no buy"-mentality ... and that would be sad.
Take the Ni No Kuni sales (last number i remember was 1.4 million worldwide, and with the DS version added to that sum), i think that is a good title to compare the sales, and try to remember that the PS3 had a bigger install-base by the time that game released.

And by your logic, let me give you a similar example: Wii got a DQ spinoff early in the life-time (Iike PS4) but it only got the MMO by the time it was already about to be buried.

Oh and btw. SQEX is in no way repsonsible for guaranteeing (is that the correct grammar?) a consoles success. That's Sony in this case. And i think the PS4 can be successful enough with games like FFXV, 7 Remake (if it comes out this gen), Star Ocean 5, Tales of *insert random word here*, etc. :)

Any by the time those games are out, the PS4 might be lone and dominant leader of sales worldwide, then we have a different situation for DQ12!

Your entire response is predicated on the notion that because DQ is currently being put on handhelds automatically means that any other platform will somehow do terribly and that there is no demand for Dragon Quest globally which I find ridiculous. The last few Dragon Quest releases in NA were 2 DS remakes and the release of Joker 2. Hardly good titles to base an entire assumption such as "Square Enix is afraid to release traditional Japanese RPGs worldwide." The last major console DQ sold over 500K copies alone in NA compared to the next release on DS which sold about 100K less. Now, this is not to say that a handheld DQ won't sell because it will. However, this is about risk and reward. Do you play it safe and put the game on handheld knowing that yes, you have guaranteed sales in Japan, but know your return might not be as plentiful elsewhere or do you take a chance with a next gen system that has the benefit of being in the spotlight in the moment and the technology to bring the vision in the best possible light? Obviously SQE agrees with the latter as the next DQ will be on console. As for the Wii example, that speaks to how those games released fared with consumers as opposed to them being financially viable. PS4 being the de-facto next gen console guarantees it will have support from Japan in the form of jRPGs. SQE possibly putting it on PS4 ensures they will be able to keep up with other Japanese studios releasing RPGs instead of playing it safe and releasing it 3DS where it will debut nicely and eventually fall off as well get later in 3DS's life cycle.

DQIX sold more than DQVIII in North America, and 500k will hardly be enough to offset the likely decrease in Japanese sales.

The thing is, it all depends on what SE aims to do with DQXI. Is it strictly aimed at Japan with a possible localization for additional sales... or is it aimed for worldwide ?

OmegaDL50

*Tears of Joy*

Turn-based again!!!! YES! I love it!
Can't come soon enough.

I don't know of any single player mainline DQ game that wasn't turned based. Unlike Final Fantasy for example, the Dragon Quest series in has been much more conservatively traditional in terms of maintaining staples and mechanics used over the years.

Hugstable

Banned
I hope they bring back the job system for this game again and expand on what IX had already started (which was pretty much building up on 3,6 and 7). I had alot of fun with IX's class system though it was pretty easy to break the game wide open with just a hero and another character being a Martial Artist (psyche up is sooooooo overpowered lol). Was there any changes to how the jobs work in 7 Remake compared to the original?

KingBroly

Banned
Been trying to look it up myself and I found this

http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Worldwide_Dragon_Quest_Sales

So it looks like it's pretty close, but it seems that VIII edged out IX just a bit in both NA and EU

Not sure how accurate these numbers are though, wouldn't know where to look for official numbers. Silconera has an article saying NA and EU sales of IX was at like 1.03 million so that would line up pretty well with these numbers
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/27/heres-how-much-dragon-quest-ix-sold-overseas/

The link sources a banned site here on NeoGaf. Completely unreliable.

Those were NPD leaks floating around in NPD threads. I can check on my PC if I have some numbers.

The thing is, it all depends on what SE aims to do with DQXI. Is it strictly aimed at Japan with a possible localization for additional sales... or is it aimed for worldwide ?

Of course. In my humble opinion, it does not make sense to bet on Western markets - at this point, DQXI on 3DS and then on mobile if no other traditional platform will take off in Japan.

Dark_castle

I hope they bring back the job system for this game again and expand on what IX had already started (which was pretty much building up on 3,6 and 7). I had alot of fun with IX's class system though it was pretty easy to break the game wide open with just a hero and another character being a Martial Artist (psyche up is sooooooo overpowered lol). Was there any changes to how the jobs work in 7 Remake compared to the original?
Yeah job system is a must. But at the same time I want some focus to narration as well. IX was like fuck the story, it's all about gameplay. A better balance would be nice, like DQIV and VII.

OmegaDL50

Of course. In my humble opinion, it does not make sense to bet on Western markets - at this point, DQXI on 3DS and then on mobile if no other traditional platform will take off in Japan.

Consider the deluge of jRPGs coming out in this year, and 2016 and 2017, such as Tales of Zestiria, Persona 5, Xenoblade X, SMT X FE, Star Ocean 5, Tales of Berseria, Final Fantasy XV, and eventually Final Fantasy 7:R

At what point do you think should the Dragon Quest series to focus on the Western market? 2018? 2025? When?

Alo0oy

Banned
DQIX sold more than DQVIII in North America, and 500k will hardly be enough to offset the likely decrease in Japanese sales.

How much decrease are you expecting, really? PS4 has been receptive to nearly every game released on it, even super niche games like Tuikiden appear on the PAL charts [EDIT: & just this week, J-Stars victory, you can't get any more niche than that, charted in the PAL thead].

Because the active base for PS3 is starting to diminish in Japan, and when DQXI comes out it probably won't make up the majority of the sales and then you're pinning your hopes on a base that is much smaller than perceived.

What are you really basing this on? Because the last two big releases on it (Tales & DQH) sold much better than people expected.

There's no doubt that a lot of PS3 users are moving to PS4, which is why there will most likely be a PS4 version, if the game releases by the end of 2016, PS4's install base should be around 3.5 million (3 million from the yearly average + 500k assuming FFXV & KH3 release before & the boost from DQXI itself), keep in mind that with a 4 million install base, FFXIII sold 2 million, & FF is much weaker brand than Dragon Quest, so theoretically, PS4 alone is capable of selling ~2 million units, PS3 can easily handle 2+ million & I don't think anybody will dispute that, even if half the PS3 userbase left.

Kanann

about DQ successor, here my recent notification that I want to share

Fujisawa Jin > director and scenario writer of DQX, DQIX and various assistance at PS era DQ

Naoki Yoshida > main designer of DQX, DQ battle road and proved to be massive in director/producer's duty

Saito Chikara > doing very good job directing DQX. Former YoshiP right hand man

Narita Atsushi > another assistance writer

about character design > Toriyama-sensei cloning himself a lot (not a joke) even some female mangaka or manga assistance copy his style perfectly

about OST > In my opinion plenty composers can take Sugiyama-san position

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah job system is a must. But at the same time I want some focus to narration as well. IX was like fuck the story, it's all about gameplay. A better balance would be nice, like DQIV and VII.

Yeah definitely. A game with the story beat of DQ5, Gameplay of 9 and World map of 8 would be like the perfect game

IX still had a lot of story, it's just that it wasn't character focused like DQVIII or narrative driven like DQV (relative to other games in the franchise of course). Some of my favourite vignettes in the entire series are in DQIX. Just wish there was a little more of that and less of the MMO-lite stuff.

AmyS

I'm very much looking forward to Dragon Quest XI being a single player/offline, home console "in front of the TV" experience again--Like Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King was on PlayStation 2 in 2004 (2005).

I'm very much looking forward to Dragon Quest XI being a single player/offline, home console "in front of the TV" experience again--Like Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King was on PlayStation 2 in 2004 (2005).
...or DW 1-4, DQ 5-7.
Should be glorious.

Hoping for an art-style of VIII instead of VII (weird looking) or IX (chibi).
Story-wise, bringing back IV's chapter system would be neat.

Bitanator

I think being so long since there was a true console Dragon Quest will play to the advantage of XI, people will want to experience it, if it is marketed better than Ni No Kuni was, I'm sure it will get great press, I can see it selling well in western markets.

Glad they are making it for consoles. The transition to handhelds almost killed the serise for me. Here hoping it is open world like VIII.

Wereroku

...or DW 1-4, DQ 5-7.
Should be glorious.

Hoping for an art-style of VIII instead of VII (weird looking) or IX (chibi).
Story-wise, bringing back IV's chapter system would be neat.

If they design it for a console it won't be Chibi. I prefer set party members but I will take what I can get as long as the story design is more traditional and less like IX. A set hero character does a lot to help set a plot.

I don't think it will. In many ways IX was a precursor to X. Like they were testing MMO elements before the main deal. That's what felt 'off' about it, since many of those elements don't belong in a single player DQ game.

I'm one of the people who liked IX less than most entries (it's still a great game) because the game seemed built around the idea of coop. If XI is offline, I assume it will have a more traditional approach to quests.

Well, that's reassuring (both in that I'm not alone in my misgivings of IX and that DQXI will likely go the same direction).

Anyway, question: are there any rumblings about Terry's Wonderland or Rocket Slime 3?

KiTA

So some of the people in this thread seriously believe that FFXIII can sell 2 million units to 4 million PS3s, while DQXI can't double that number on triple the install base?

It could easily sell 1 to 1.5 million on PS4 & 2 to 2.5 million on ps3, the install base is there to support it & the Dragon Quest brand is big enough to support it.

I would be gobsmacked if DQXI didn't sell 3.5 to 4.5 million copies. For one, I can't imagine they'd put it on a console that couldn't hit those sales goals. (PS4 exclusivity is right out. PS3/4 or WiiU/n3DS, maybe.)

Hugstable

Banned
Well, that's reassuring (both in that I'm not alone in my misgivings of IX and that DQXI will likely go the same direction).

Anyway, question: are there any rumblings about Terry's Wonderland or Rocket Slime 3?

Nope it's been rough. Most haven't even been asking for those compared to how much many ask for the mainline game remakes. Really sucks cause I loved Rocket Slime on the DS, and Monsters games are tons of fun and would have really liked to play one of those where I'm Terry from DQ6 (was he popular or something? He came really late to the party in 6)

Verendus

Banned
I am pretty sure I played wonderful DQ games on handhelds in the past decade...?
Yeah but I don't see what would change for a turn-based jRPG being on a home or on a handheld platform. Everyone is talking about Ni no Kuni but outside the gorgeous graphic, evertything would have been possible on a much weaker hardware.
Oh ok, so it is only a matter of graphics.

I still don't think a PS3/PS4 release would make sense business-wise, but hey, SQEX is helping Sony in revitalizing the Japanese home console market after all.
Indeed: releasing DQXI first on a home console is not a good business decision, and I explained why in all my previous posts.
Business-wise, I already explained why I think PS4 is not the best choice but after all SQEX is not renown for being clever.
In sum, I'm pretty confident DQXI will be at least on PS4; I'm just replying to people writing that this is the best business decision without actually bringing any good reasons behind it other than "SQEX wants PS4 to live!!!" which is, in my opinion, a very weak argument (on both parts).
I don't. Market signals, though, indicate that active userbase tends to decrease after maturity, and PS3 is after all a 9-year old platform. Software sales are starting to decline a lot, and PS4 seems to collect PS3 users (big userbase overlapping, unline Western markets).
michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom