• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harada: TEKKEN X Street Fighter "at a pretty far stage into its development"

Son Of D

why was that in particular something to be mad about? don't fighting games sell better on playstation & weren't most of them sony characters?

I think it was the fact that Mega Man and Pac-Man had no reason to be exclusive. That plus people preferring that the resources used on those 5 be used for SF or Tekken characters.

Skunkers

I know they never formally cancelled it, but it's just weird that it's still coming. I think there have been like four Tekken games that will have come out between when this was first announced and when it comes out (TTT2 home release, Tekken Revolution, Pokken, and Tekken 7).

shaowebb

I just want Urien and Heihachi on a team wearing the thong and Mawabi. Team "uncomfortably secure with self" will be a favorite thing for me to bother folks with. Also helps that this would be a dope as hell team for tag combos given the classic damage the two had.

The DLC was a problem, but that could've been overcome if the game was any fun to play or watch. Watch any top 8 where Team EG won it...turtle chun wrecked that game as hard as she wrecked 3rd strike.

Degen

I know they never formally cancelled it, but it's just weird that it's still coming. I think there have been like four Tekken games that will have come out between when this was first announced and when it comes out (TTT2 home release, Tekken Revolution, Pokken, and Tekken 7).
don't forget about Harada's magnum opus, a testament to his legendary Tekken career: Summer Lesson

No, I understood what I was talking about. It was this statement still:

And the further expounding on it.

You have stopped defending it but you keep trying to pretend it was healthy skepticism when I keep saying it doesn't actually make sense. It was just a dumb thing to say.

I'm not defending it because I believe in it. And more so because I'm more interested in what causes you to jump on me over it. If this has devolved into you bickering about the difference between your view of "healthy skepticism" and "dumb thing to say" then I'm not going touch that, because that's a no win. "You seem to have convinced yourself of a conclusion and are trying to fit things into that conclusion." Yes, I'm guilty of reaching a conclusion that's not the same as you.

If you're going to throw a hissy fit at least get shit right. If someone has the nerve to say I'm stupid, then I'd like to think that I would at least get represented correctly:

This was your reductionist summary of what I said
"That they said anything at all is proof it doesn't exist!"

This is what I actually said:
Talking about how they already decided the roster and the system mechanics is less convincing, because you save that talk for when the game is going to be shown. Not when you're supposedly waiting an opening after releasing two newer fighting games (T7 and Pokken). It's a please understand statement.

Which is about the typical reveal of information when it comes to a release of a fighting game. System mechanics for instance, are usually designed during development when the game is already shown, being balanced and has a release window. It's because it allows developers to add, take away, get feedback and know what amount of complexity or simplicity is appropriate for the game at that moment of time. Additionally, mentioning that he's prioritizing projects that were announced years later after Tekken x Street Fighter, is backwards. It doesn't sound like the truth and it doesn't sound like development is going by at a steady pace. And doubting Harada is not unfounded, since he brushed off Josie Rizal, Devil Jin and other characters being in Tekken 7 as "just data" as Tekken 7 was datamined, only for them to get time released later on.

I don't think the term "anything at all" applies, since what I'm suspicious of is pretty specific. I admit my first post misrepresented that idea, but I think at that point you already took issue with what I said regardless of how I elaborated on it.

And this jab:
Also, your insistence that they have never said more than "It's in development?

I never said that. I said statements like this:

MuF1doF.jpg

are more convincing instead of buttering up a picture of a game's development behind closed doors or waxing philosophically about the state of the fighting game genre. Furthermore, you aggregating similar interviews where Harada issues PR like that a year and a half ago doesn't change that conclusion. I can see that steady assurances of the game still being in development says otherwise, but that's not what I'm arguing about.

I'm not defending it because I believe in it. And more so because I'm more interested in what causes you to jump on me over it. If this has devolved into you bickering about the difference between your view of "healthy skepticism" and "dumb thing to say" then I'm not going touch that, because that's a no win. "You seem to have convinced yourself of a conclusion and are trying to fit things into that conclusion." Yes, I'm guilty of reaching a conclusion that's not the same as you.

If you're going to throw a hissy fit at least get shit right. If someone has the nerve to say I'm stupid, then I'd like to think that I would at least get represented correctly:

This was your reductionist summary of what I said
"That they said anything at all is proof it doesn't exist!"

This is what I actually said:
Talking about how they already decided the roster and the system mechanics is less convincing, because you save that talk for when the game is going to be shown. Not when you're supposedly waiting an opening after releasing two newer fighting games (T7 and Pokken). It's a please understand statement.

Which is about the typical reveal of information when it comes to a release of a fighting game. System mechanics for instance, are usually designed during development when the game is already shown, being balanced and has a release window. It's because it allows developers to add, take away, get feedback and know what amount of complexity or simplicity is appropriate for the game at that moment of time. Additionally, mentioning that he's prioritizing projects that were announced years later after Tekken x Street Fighter, is backwards. It doesn't sound like the truth and it doesn't sound like development is going by at a steady pace. And doubting Harada is not unfounded, since he brushed off Josie Rizal, Devil Jin and other characters being in Tekken 7 as "just data" as Tekken 7 was datamined, only for them to get time released later on.

I don't think the term "anything at all" applies, since what I'm suspicious of is pretty specific. I admit my first post misrepresented that idea, but I think at that point you already took issue with what I said regardless of how I elaborated on it.

And this jab:
Also, your insistence that they have never said more than "It's in development?

I never said that. I said statements like this:

MuF1doF.jpg

are more convincing instead of buttering up a picture of a game's development behind closed doors or waxing philosophically about the state of the fighting game genre. Furthermore, you aggregating similar interviews where Harada issues PR like that a year and a half ago doesn't change that conclusion. I can see that steady assurances of the game still being in development says otherwise, but that's not what I'm arguing about.
But again, you paraphrasing what you said is just that, a paraphrase. Here's what you actually said:

So it's vaporware?

I feel like if it were actually in the works, he wouldn't need to issue a statement. The smart thing to do would be to ride the doubts and turn them around all at once for the big reveal.

When asked about the game before it was a general "Don't worry about it", or "don't ask me about the game"

Which is what I'm repeatedly saying is the dumb thing. Also, while we're pecking at semantics, I am calling your statements dumb. I didn't call you dumb, just this weird stance that talking about it in specifics means it's not being worked on. It's specifically not being thought out beyond an emotional response.

I have no problem with your conclusion being different from mine and I said as much. You just take issue with me calling your logic strained to the point of being nonsensical.

I have no emotional investment in Tekken x Street Fighter or Harada at all. The last Tekken I played was 3. But it has been pretty clear how and why this game hasn't seen the light of day and "They're talking about systems" isn't really a factor in that.

I apologize for introducing pejoratives into the conversation. I do not think your logic makes any sort of sense.

I have no problem with your conclusion being different from mine and I said as much. You just take issue with me calling your logic strained to the point of being nonsensical.

I have no emotional investment in Tekken x Street Fighter or Harada at all. The last Tekken I played was 3. But it has been pretty clear how and why this game hasn't seen the light of day and "They're talking about systems" isn't really a factor in that.

I apologize for introducing pejoratives into the conversation. I do not think your logic makes any sort of sense.

You keep positioning yourself in favor of being logical to my apparent nonsense but unlike last time don't have a desire to disprove my posts. Despite distorting what I had to say with sarcasm, despite introducing pejoratives, despite now showing that you have little to no experience with Harada, or fighting games period, compared to me. It's not just systems by the way. System mechanics, as in invincible moves, movement, whether there's a meter, the wall system, the get up system. Things that are worked out usually a year before release.

If you want me to paraphrase your post. "Harada makes sense because he does. You don't make sense because I said so."

I did say this before in case you missed it: If this has devolved into you bickering about the difference between your view of "healthy skepticism" and "dumb thing to say" then I'm not going touch that, because that's a no win.

Tripon

12 disc locked characters (including some fan favourites and 2 characters that were shown in a CG trailer before the game's launch), 5 PS3/Vita exclusive characters (they were guest characters but still), the gem system (and some DLC gems being better than the ones in the base game), timeouts being very prominent in competitive gameplay... It added up.
I never understood why Fat MegaMan was locked to the PlayStation side.

And was Pacman locked to PS platform as well?

delSai

They might as well make it exclusively for this generation at this point.

Both PS4 & Xbox One are going on two years old this November while both PS3 & 360 are dying off (especially in software sales).

It probably is current gen at this point.

delSai

Why? I'm really trying to get insight and stupid drive by post like these.

Especially in the year Shenmue 3, FF7 Remake got announced and TLG finally showed up again lol.
Plus if it really doesn't exist or something they would've cancelled it by now. It might take a while because Harada is working on so much stuff, but this game is a thing for sure.

Isnt he also doing project Treasure for the Wii U?

He sure is.

Lulubop

Why should we? They've shown nothing but some unfinished model of Ryu's face ages ago. Before this thread I actually thought it had been dead and buried for a long while.

You should read shockings post. What makes sense is that the blow back from sfxt and nextgen consoles push this game back. Right now Namco has a lot on their plate and sfv is on the way. Why would they start showing it and marketing it now? Did you read what Harada said? That's a big fucking lie for something that's just vaporware. I know you like to be cynical but come on dude.

Ivan 3414

Why should we? They've shown nothing but some unfinished model of Ryu's face ages ago. Before this thread I actually thought it had been dead and buried for a long while.

Harada also posted some art of Ryu and Chun-Li several years ago:

I'm just using your post as an excuse to post it. Chun-Li is gorgeous.

Not surprising that Namco is being gunshy here. The disappointing initial sales of UMVC3 and then the failure of SFxT were a pretty big reality check for Capcom in terms of them finding out how much they could extend the market past the core FGC, which by it's very nature and size is only really able to support 3-5 titles at a time. I'm sure Namco wants to avoid that same situation.

Some people ITT said they were surprised that this wasn't killed in the wake of SFxT. There WAS a project cancelled because of the SFxT debacle, but I've heard it was Ono's Darkstalkers reboot on the Capcom side.

Those characters were banned from tournament play. Which is pretty bad.
that is bad, but that's not really the game's fault.

I think it was the fact that Mega Man and Pac-Man had no reason to be exclusive. That plus people preferring that the resources used on those 5 be used for SF or Tekken characters.
maybe it was some exclusive deal with sony, or like I said the fact that fighting games sell preferably on playstation.

Doomshine

I remember him saying a while back that it was not going to be released until after Tekken 7 so I've never been too concerned about it.

Sayah

I wanted to like SFxT so much but the game just didn't click with me

Didn't help that the art style was so rough on the eyes

and on the "bad art" topic, plz stop posting that Epic Games artist's Chun-li render in my pure & honest Tekken thread

I'm buffering the Giant Swing motions as we speak and don't wanna have to press the square button

lol

I remember him saying a while back that it was not going to be released until after Tekken 7 so I've never been too concerned about it.

Is that really true? Throughout Tekken Revolutions release it was speculated that it was a beta for TxSF because of the invincible moves and Eliza having a fireball.

Tekken 7 being confirmed and shown was relatively recent to that.

Some people ITT said they were surprised that this wasn't killed in the wake of SFxT. There WAS a project cancelled because of the SFxT debacle, but I've heard it was Ono's Darkstalkers reboot on the Capcom side.

There were at least two projects killed after SFxT, as far as I've heard. One of them was Capcom Fighters, an internal name for repurposing MvC3 as a Capcom-only game. The other was Darkstalkers, wherein the poor sales of the XBLA/PSN game were used as justification for it being a good decision.

But this kind of puts too much blame on SFxT's feet, when it was as much a victim. Things like gems were executive meddling out of a fear that fighting games weren't ever going to grow out of the FGC. For whatever reason, Capcom was convinced that the fighting game community was a lock no matter what, so they did what they thought they had to do in order to get people to hang at that level.

I'd argue UMvC3 and Capcom's insane expectations for that game, combined with the incredibly bad deal they signed with Marvel, really killed Capcom's fighting game output from that point forward. I don't think it's that they couldn't afford to make SF5, it's that they couldn't afford to take on the risk if it did badly, and thus simply chose not to until Sony came along.

It makes perfect sense to me that the game would be near finished at this stage (it was announced July 2010) and that all that's really left is refining it and adding in additional features. The game was caught between three storms and it's only sensible for it to be held to avoid them. There had been warnings from the get-go that Tekken x Street Fighter was going to be a long time out.

The Street Fighter x Tekken (released on the 6th March 2012) debacle was one which no doubt impeded the game. At the time, it's unclear how far into development they may have been, but it was impossible to market the game before it for the simple reason of how it would have cannibalised sales from Street Fighter x Tekken by reducing pre-release hype and drawing attention from it, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was released in September 2011 which, too, could not have attention drawn from it further before this (by which stage the game was likely not far enough into development to make a decision to show anything). Given the sizeable complaints which were levelled against Street Fighter x Tekken around the time, and how toxic it was, it would have been a terrible idea to provide any sort of update on Tekken x Street Fighter within at least a six/eight month window following the game's release as it most certainly would have drawn ire. Development most likely paused during this time, and an analysis conduct as to whether or not the project was worth pursuing taking into account the blowback faced by Street Fighter x Tekken, and the amount of time that it had spent in development,

This brings us to about 2013, and then we're met with another, very consequential factor, the release of the next generation consoles. A decision then has to be made to adapt the release or not. They could probably have gotten a very large chunk of progress made by the time early to mid 2014 roles around (cumulatively, I mean), during which stage they'd have decided what to do with the next generation of consoles.

Then, there's another factor, the release of Tekken 7 (arcade release February/March 2015) and Street Fighter 5. Tekken x Street Fighter can under no circumstances detract from either, and both are being heavily marketed and developed for the new consoles. While Tekken x Street Fighter may be nearly finished, it would be a big mistake to start detracting focus from either game until they've released, and there's been a bit of a window since release (three to five months, to allow time for DLC and players to get used to both games and spend time with them, while not killing the longevity). I'd imagine the push for it will be big in 2016, and there won't be a substantial duration (maybe six months) between the time spent marketing and release. Whether it's been in full development or not, the amount of time they've had to at least finalise the mechanics of the game and the roster seems more than adequate even with the amount of other projects the team has had on the table, the primary issue seems to be that there was never a clear and appropriate time as to when they could begin marketing it safely to build excitement.

I could be completely off, but I think that with the criticism of SFxT, the release of the next generation consoles, and the next numbered titles in both series, that I wouldn't treat Harada's comment with scepticism even if we've not seen anything, particularly when he has always assuredly stated it was still in development.

EDIT: Also, something worth noting that I probably didn't explicitly mention is that the need for it to be spaced out from Tekken 7 is much greater than the need for it to be spaced out from Street Fighter, simply because it uses Tekken's fighting system. It's a much larger risk to Tekken 7's sales (or at least, it draws more attention from Tekken 7) than it necessarily would from Street Fighter.

Top Bottom