• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about updating OP with condolences and messages from other people in the industry, if you see any, post them and I'll stick them in the OP. We should celebrate his life and what he achieved.

http://www.1101.com/home.html

Shigesato Itoi
In any farewells, all you have to say is "See you again".
Friends see each other again.
There's nothing strange about it.
Yes. See you again.

I heard that you are going on a long journey.
It was supposed to be in the far future.
You never said it in words, but wearing your best outfit, you were saying "Sorry for it to be so sudden".

You always looked after somebody instead of yourself.
As such friend, maybe this journey is your first time being selfish.

To be honest, I still don't really believe anything.
I feel like you'll be sending me email to ask for lunch.
Just like always, you can call me and ask "If you have some free time".
Of course, I can always ask you too.

Anyway, "See you again".
You can call me anywhere, anytime, and I'll be calling you too.
There are things I want to discuss, and good ideas I want to tell you.

See you again.
No, we are seeing each other right at this moment.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted.

Today is the most saddest I've ever felt for anything related to gaming, which obviously never comes about.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Iwata.

Spike

Wow, I cannot believe he's really gone. :(

RIP Mr. Iwata.

Thank you for sharing your passion with us, and the countless hours of fun it has in turn provided for many of us. You will be missed. :(

Metal B

RIP Iwata

He was an honest man, who believed in his vision. Agreeing or disagreeing with his decision, at least you felt, they came from his mind and his heart. Even if he made mistake, he had the courage to admit them.

He was a person with a lot of humour. Not many people in his position and responsibility would make fun of themself in public. He embodied the philosophies of his company in being a fun person.

He was a incredible craftsmen. Many underestimate Iwata's skill as a programmer. Some even call him one of the secret greatest in gaming. Also his Iwata Ask's interview showed, that he still want to be close with his employees, its audience and the craft itself. I love the Smash Brother series and he was an important part of its history. Source Gaming even called him the second father of the series.

His now famous quote truly displays, who he was. It would be a cheesy line spoken by other person, but it is unquestionable true in his case.

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING

JoeM86

Figures, rumor mill says Miyamoto might be next CEO.

Going to play Kirby to remember him...

At the moment it's just saying that both Takeda and Miyamoto are Representative Directors.

Though StreetsAhead or Cheesemeister are fluent in Japanese so can do better than me.

67IoWRL.jpg
oneO2oL.jpg

wz6hMMT.jpg
S579da6.png

Thank you :')

He was an honest man, who believed in his vision. Agreeing or disagreeing with his decision, at least you felt, they came from his mind and his heart. Even if he made mistake, he had the courage to admit them.
True, while a questionable CEO, he was still a great person. Luckily most people are remembering the good.
Heck, I think as a CEO he still us better than 90% of them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
and changed my avatar for the moment

man it just feels sad

I'm going to miss the directs with him in it

Halabane

Patients whose tumor is caught early and in bile ducts within the liver have a 15 percent chance of surviving the disease for at least five years, according to the American Society of Clinical Oncology. If the cancer has spread to the regional lymph nodes, the survival rate is 6 percent and drops to 2 percent if the cancer has spread to a distant part of the body.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...re-cancer-type

I feel selfish that a person that sick and with at best case 5 years to live would continue working. He really should have walked away. Spent time with his wife. Maybe as he talked about on the CX show, make a game himself again. But to stay in that stressful environment because I bet he felt obligated. Going back to that 2005 key note speech this morning it is clear he was trying to hold the line on quality games. Sad part is he didn't get to NX or have an E3 that he didn't have to apologize for.

As someone said. Fuck cancer.

I hope when this clears we start ideas on how to fund raise for this nasty cancer in his memory.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
OP is updated with tweets and tributes. Probably missed a few, but I started crying while going through this thread. The man has a legacy that will never be matched.

Thank you, Iwata.

Enthus

In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Changed the GAF colors to something reminiscent of HAL Laboratory's logo.

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

They're the same dimensions as the current pride logo.

Please use these, NeoGAF. This man's life deserves any small tribute we can make.

TCRS

Banned
In seeking to make a bit cleaner version of a tribute NeoGAF logo, and in respect of the amazing painting by phileep, I put this together:

IN0b.png

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

the fourth one. make it happen pls ;_;

LoveCake

Would it be possible to have a representative from GAF to deliver flowers & a message to Nintendo, people could donate if they wanted to maybe?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm still trying to process this.

I've paid attention to Iwata since E3 2005 (can't remember if he was at E3 2004) the moment he came out and revealed the Wii from his jacket. I've followed every E3 since. Which is why it's gonna feel so weird at next year's conference. :(

Wynnebeck

Banned
I understand the reason to be wary of this kind of discussion, but the people who are bringing it up aren't dismissing Iwata's value or thinking beyond him. I can't speak for anyone else, but pragmatism is (in part) a coping mechanism for me, haha.

This. A way of getting past the tragedy is to look ahead at a brighter future. Iwata wouldn't want us to be walking around with a black cloud over our heads.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Quoting EviLore on the Logo talk:

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

IN0b.png

Individual images:

JN0b.png

KN0b.png

Was going to make one, but I see you already made a fantastic one. Hope Gaf uses it for a week or something.

EDIT Didnt see the above post.

Thank you for helping create some of the games that defined my childhood, RIP Iwata-san.

This fan art is just destroying me.

Also a quick thank you to the ribbon creator.

HeelPower

This really puts things in perspective.

The harsh criticism and dislikes directed at the E3 direct looks so....petty now.

Iwata pretty much did this direct on his death bed and actually apologized due to the massive online negativity..

Gamers the world over need to change the way they react to and take things for granted.

Say what you will about polarizing choices and decisions, but you can tell Iwata cared about the gaming experience he was delivering through Nintendo. What other high profile company leader took the time to do something like Iwata Asks?

Hopefully Nintendo will continue to make unique and inspiring games and hardware.

Also, was he battling a terminal illness for a while, or was this sudden? Or was the cause of death not released for the sake privacy?

I'm still trying to process this.

I've paid attention to Iwata since E3 2005 (can't remember if he was at E3 2004) the moment he came out and revealed the Wii from his jacket. I've followed every E3 since. Which is why it's gonna feel so weird at next year's conference. :(

He was also fantastic in the directs. When i texted my girlfriend about his passing this morning, she answered: that cutie? i'll miss him. He was the perfect face for the company, it won't be the same without him

:-(

eXistor

I was busy working when a customer told me. This actually hit me fucking hard, I didn't see it coming at all. Best of luck to his loved ones. I'm gonna need some time to properly process this news myself.

Man, I haven't cried over a "celebrity" death before.

This one just crushed me. Absolutely crushed me.

Iwata was a hero of mine.

The idea that a gamer and programmer could run a company, always with an eye towards providing fun experiences and true empathy for fans and his employees alike, is just... wow.

He made it happen. He was in many ways the perfect president of a games company. One that we needed, one that in some ways we didn't deserve.

He was responsible for some true moments of happiness in my life. I can only hope that when I go, others will say the same of me.

Godspeed, Mr. Iwata. I'll cherish all the joy and inspiration you've brought me until the end of my days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom