• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's gonna enjoy his 15 minutes of relevance again

I guess..... I just think it's over and he don't eff with Bronson anymore. Simple as that, no strings attached. Prob won't hear anything else over this unless it's asked brought up in an interview. Hopefully that Ghost x DOOM album drops this year.....................

He's gonna enjoy his 15 minutes of relevance again
tumblr_ne2xz4Fkl51qkdrw1o6_500.gif

RP912

Banned
so Bronson said he was sorry and Ghostface is being a big baby about it, got it

You can't tell with Bronson if the apology was sincere. Imagine somebody taking your style and talking down on you on national television, despite the fact that the person was suppose to be your "influence". Add to the fact that dude deleted his tweets expressing his sorrows towards Ghost, then he puts them back up because Ghost checked him on his biting tendencies and disrespect.

I don't blame Ghost for saying screw your apology.

imBask

Banned
You can't tell with Bronson if the apology was sincere. Imagine somebody taking your style and talking down on you on national television, despite the fact that the person was suppose to be your "influence". Add to the fact that dude deleted his tweets expressing his sorrows towards Ghost, then he puts them back up because Ghost checked him on his biting tendencies and disrespect.

I don't blame Ghost for saying screw your apology.

I like both of them but they both look like they're trying to get some publicity in an artifical feud

Bronson didn't call his daughter a future-whore like Ja Rule did to Eminem, he barely said anything

Ant's reviews tend to highlight a general white hipster approach to hip hop: they don't like or seemingly respect the genre in of itself, and instead gravitate the most to projects that blend multiple genres and live instrumentation. MBDTF, TPAB, GKMC, Graduation, Take Care, The Love Below, The Son Of Chico Dusty, etc. Ambitious projects that mix genres and/or play with traditional rap song structures.
What's his name on GAF?
t2PQEvO.png

RP912

Banned
I like both of them but they both look like they're trying to get some publicity in an artifical feud

Bronson didn't call his daughter a future-whore like Ja Rule did to Eminem, he barely said anything

Yet, he basically said Ghostface is not doing it like he's doing it, which is disrespectful when in reality dude is still putting out quality music. I know it's not on the level of Ja/Em, but it's still effective due to Ghost paving the way for Bronson when in reality dude used to rap like this...

https://youtu.be/Vy4ei1y5Fzk?t=2m5s

Az

Man fuck twitter. All these rappers takin' the easy way out. Bronson said what he said, why not stick to it. I don't buy the hashtag apologies.

RP912

Banned
I remember a time where everybody in hip hop was dissing each other. Even the damn producers. Dr. Dre vs Jermaine Depri was beef of the year for 2002.

imBask

Banned
Yet, he basically said Ghostface is not doing it like he's doing it, which is disrespectful when in reality dude is still putting out quality music. I know it's not on the level of Ja/Em, but it's still effective due to Ghost paving the way for Bronson when in reality dude used to rap like this...

I like today's Bronson, and I like today's Ghostface. If Bronson doesn't like today's ghostface and said it on the air, who cares? he just said that it's different, he didn't say like "GHOSTFACE FUCKING SUCKS NOWADAYS AND HIS PEEPEE HIS SMALL", he just implied that the music wasn't as good as it used to... so what?

garbage beef, they both need a hobby

Kreed

And as you mentioned before, Ghost called Bronson and Bronson said he'd fix it over the phone. Bronson put up apology tweets, and then a short time later deleted them. Deleting the tweets makes it seem like a fake apology/just a way to get Ghost to leave him alone. Meanwhile that ESPN video is still circulating on social media. I don't blame Ghost for responding (not necessary at that level, but eh well).

RP912

Banned
I like today's Bronson, and I like today's Ghostface. If Bronson doesn't like today's ghostface and said it on the air, who cares? he just said that it's different, he didn't say like "GHOSTFACE FUCKING SUCKS NOWADAYS AND HIS PEEPEE HIS SMALL", he just implied that the music wasn't as good as it used to... so what?

garbage beef, they both need a hobby

...or they could put it in a rap like rappers used to do. I see your point though. Bronson is alright with me and Ghost is Ghost...so it is what it is.

And as you mentioned before, Ghost called Bronson and Bronson said he'd fix it over the phone. Bronson put up apology tweets, and then a short time later deleted them. Deleting the tweets makes it seem like a fake apology/just a way to get Ghost to leave him alone. Meanwhile that ESPN video is still circulating on social media. I don't blame Ghost for responding (not necessary at that level, but eh well).

Exactly,

The only way this could play out is if both dudes go in the booth. Fuck the twittering and get a battle started.

overcast

Collection of Ant's various scores for rap albums this year:

32 Zel/Planet Shroom - 6
Dr. Yen Lo - 6
Summertime 06 - 6
Dirty Sprite 2 - 6
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside - 6
Barter 6 - 5
Czarface - 8
If You're Reading This - 8

A 6/10 feels right on the money for 32 Zel honestly. Barter is not too far off, maybe a 6. The rest are bad, yeah.
I'm over it now. Be done.

imBask

Banned

32 Zel/Planet Shroom - 6
Dr. Yen Lo - 6
Summertime 06 - 6
Dirty Sprite 2 - 6
Barter 6 - 5
Czarface - 8

glad he gave 8 to Czarface, but Summertime 06 deserves more than 6

SCREW YOU FANTANGANO

T Dollarz

32 Zel/Planet Shroom - 6
Dr. Yen Lo - 6
Summertime 06 - 6
Dirty Sprite 2 - 6
Barter 6 - 5
Czarface - 8

FUCK THAT....

32 Zel/Planet Shrooms - 7
Dr. Yen Lo - 9
Summertime 06 - 9
DS2 - 8
I Don't Like Shit... - 8
Barter 6 - 7
Czarface - 7
If You're Reading This... - 7

codhand

i dont pay attention to his rap reviews other than curiosity, his background is emo punk and hardcore

he did however rate Twelve Reasons 2 and Czarface 2 higher than Yen Lo, which is fucking bonkers, objectively

6 isnt a horrible score for him either tho

Dereck

Whenever I see Fantano posted on rap forums it's always followed by "he sucks", which then makes me wonder why he keeps getting posted.

I guess mentioning him stirs the pot eh?

HiResDes

Future - DS2 Review, Bought to you by Desfantano:

A general rule for whether I enjoyed a track from this album is whether or not I perceive the hook to be infectious or not, the beats are consistently on point and dynamic especially in the first half of the album. Future works some magic with some of the hooks on the songs. Songs like I Thought It Was a Drought, Slave Master, Blow a Bag, Where Ya At, Lil One, and even the seemingly repetitive I Serve The Bass contain Future's trademark charisma and spirited yet highly slopped inflection.

The problem with some songs that don't have strong hooks is that Future doesn't really do enough to add anything substantial to the backing music, which at times drowns him out and leaves him sounding monotonous as a result. This is not to say that the repetition or Future's sometimes unaffected tone always is a negative, but sometimes it sounds seem to fit the mood or certain songs more so than others. On I Serve the Bass Future's unadulterated devotion to the "bass" or the beat comes off as brilliant and integrates well the track with Future sounding as a demonic as that fuzzy synth and bass line in the song. However, on a track like Blood on the Money, which sports one of the most expansive and atmospheric beats of the album, Future sounds rather stiff and uninteresting. Stick Talk is a good song mainly because it has a good hook and arguably the most well rounded beat of the album, but even on this track Future's verses are quite forgettable.

And to clear the air, I'm not expecting Future to make any sort of crazy lyrical statement whatsoever, but I feel as though his strengths lie in his ability to convey tone and emotion (or lack of emotion) through the manipulation of his voice. There are quite a few tracks that just don't have the sort of vocal anomalies or twisted inflections I've come to expect from Future. When he's on point you can almost sense the codeine laced soft drinks on his tongue, but when he's not his verses just bore in comparison to big hugeness of everything else. Most of the quotable lines in the album are contained in its choruses in my opinion.

Everyone has a varying favorites in the first ten tracks, but I want to talk about a couple of under appreciated cuts. Slave Master is one of the biggest tracks on the album for me. Future stands above the monstrous thematic beat in both his verses and the chorus. He changes flows and tone at will, adapting his trademark style to the beat perfectly, and comes up with one of the most humorous hooks of the album to me. "Drop Out The Whip, Like I'm a Slave Master," just picture white men singing that shit as they drive around in the hood, and you know they will because that shit is irresistibly infectious. Freak Hoe features one of my favorite beats on the album that sounds reminds me of heyday nasty Cash Money tracks coupled with the demonic atmospheric trap of the modern era. I can just picture B.G. in the background screaming "She Get It From Her Mamma." Future's flow is also really on point on this shit. Pretty much all of the first tracks range from good to great to me.

However, the album is quite front loaded. I want to say that I think he might have been going for the whole drug comedown concept when he orchestrated the album. However, the albums ends with some weaker quality downtempo tracks and two songs that are indeed bangers, but were recycled from past tapes. Colossal is a decent track, but the beat actually sounds a little too familiar and Future's flow is almost on some robotic mumbling shit. Rich Sex is awful. It doesn't sound like it fits the album, ruining the flow and standing almost in direct opposition to the track that follows. Blood on the Money as I've already touched on is a missed opportunity. Strippers and Percocet actually has some good Future verses, I think containing the best personification of a supposed codeine flow, however the chorus is kind of a mixed bag. Real Sisters is a bore despite a pretty hype beat and a seemingly hilarious subject matter. Kno the Meaning is the worst track on the album for me. It has this really somber beat and Future starts off with this really affected dramatic tone, yet his problems are the equivalent of white wine shit that I couldn't give a fuck about and only stand to annoy me after painting himself as this almost nihilistic sex-crazed druggie. He even stops mid verse to mourn the loss a hard drive like he's about to talk about a death in the family or some shit. And the album ends with the undeniable amazing Fuck Up Some Commas, but I've heard that track so many times at this point.

Light 8

P.S. I'm sure the review sounded too negative to warrant such a high score, but I was really disappointed because I feel this could have been one of the best trap albums ever.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only thing that bothers me about his scores is how much people care about them. Some people have this really weird love/hate obsession with some critics.

edit - ^^^ Yessss

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ghost finally letting out the frustration he built up from Bronson out-spitting him on Meteor Hammer.

HiResDes

I'm actually kind of on Bronson's side in this and I'm a Ghostface stan. Bronson said Ghost ain't rapping like he used to, and that his (Bronson's) rap style has more in common with GFK in his early years, which I would actually say is pretty accurate. Ghost's reaction is quite embarrassing, responding as if Bronson had completely disrespected him or some shit when he actually state that he's a legend in the very same interview only moments prior. And now that Bronson has apologized and Ghost is still on some pouty little girl shit I'm losing respect the Ghost. Also how are you gonna act hard but then have to get on some Ray J I got ninjas that rape ninjas shit and think you sound cool, fuck outta here. If you're really about that life threaten to beat Bronson's ass on Sean Price shit. No respect for silent assassins or any of that bullshit.

RP912

Banned
Solid review Des, cant argue with much. It's a light to decent 8 for me.

Bulletproof Wallets-era Ghost is great (both the album tracks and the uncleared sample versions). So many great samples.

Indeed. Love the flow on those tracks. The Pretty Tony album wasn't as bad as dudes made it out to be as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm actually kind of on Bronson's side in this and I'm a Ghostface stan. Bronson said Ghost ain't rapping like he used to, and that his (Bronson's) rap style has more in common with GFK in his early years, which I would actually say is pretty accurate. Ghost's reaction is quite embarrassing, responding as if Bronson had completely disrespected him or some shit when he actually state that he's a legend in the very same interview only moments prior. And now that Bronson has apologized and Ghost is still on some pouty little girl shit I'm losing respect the Ghost. Also how are you gonna act hard but then have to get on some Ray J I got ninjas that rape ninjas and think you sound cool, fuck outta here. If you're really about that life threaten to beat Bronson's ass on Sean Price shit. No respect for silent assassins or any of that bullshit.

Yeah... I usually don't comment on tabloid-level stuff like this, but Ghostface definitely comes off as super insecure. I feel like the most respectable response here would be indifference or no response whatsoever.

Courage

Nice review man, you bring up valid points. Ultimately, I think Future won't bring the dynamicity that Young Thug does in terms of his delivery, but he'll bring that authentic rawness.

I still think it's his best project and would probably give it a 9.

Fjordson

Indeed. Love the flow on those tracks. The Pretty Tony album wasn't as bad as dudes made it out to be as well.
Totally.

Just a shame the original Bulletproof Wallets couldn't come out like Ghost wanted it to. I mean imagine opening the album with The Sun. Such a dope / unique song within Ghost's discography.

Yeah... I usually don't comment on tabloid-level stuff like this, but Ghostface definitely comes off as super insecure. I feel like the most respectable response here would be indifference or no response whatsoever.

agreed on all counts

Agreed. Really shows how stellar his catalog is when his first "aite to good" album is overlooked because his first three albums are great to classic; I'm counting Bulletproof Wallets OG version btw.

So Des...if I started writing reviews for this thread and said your reviews aren't as good as mine and that you needed something...you'd be OK with it?

You must be used to things like that
IuIwofOW.png

PBY

Banned
I was thinking about that shit. Dude had those corny ass twitter bars for Banks, but when it came down to Wallabee Champ...dude want to hug and sing Kirk Franklin tunes.

Come on dude...

Btw:

How did Gaf Hop rank Banks album?

Thought her album was really good

Fjordson

Thought it was awful. Reviews usually barely register with me because music is so incredibly subjective, but that was one of the few times where I was genuinely shocked by any positive press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom