• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will PS4 support 4K Blu-Rays?

IvorB

I do wish 3D support was still there for console games. The only PS4 game with 3D support is Trine 2. And they're removing it for the Uncharted 3 remaster, which is annoying.

The new Stardust game has 3D support on PS4. I haven't checked it out myself but the last one was amazing in 3D.

dr_rus

Your playback software still needs to be informed there's some CDDA available to play, and instruct the drive what to do to get the PCM stream, you know?
This means Sony has to provide some kind of API to this software.

API? To read a CD you need to, you know, read it =) in very much the same way as PS4 reads DVDs and BDs. The PCM data gained from this can be sent through HDMI or S/PDIF as is. No need to do anything with it with any software.

BreakAtmo

Stop. 4k is literally 4x the pixel count of 1080p, it is insanely demanding. We will never see 4K games on PS4. Feel free to save this post, and if it ever happens (it won't), I will eat a shoe and post pictures for GAF.

Actually the Trine 2 devs have already stated that the PS4 port could run at 2160p30fps. It already renders 1080p60 in 3D which requires roughly the same amount of power - the only hurdle is the PS4 not doing 4K output for games right now, which there's no specific technical reason for and could be fixed in a firmware update.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-trine-2-on-ps4

"I can't think why we technically couldn't support 3840x2160 mode at 30fps (with the stereo rendering quality). Increasing the resolution while rendering less often would end up to the same amount of pixels being rendered," he told us.

"Whether or not a 4K mode would otherwise make sense is another matter. Currently we render both normal and stereo mode in 1080p, and while close, they are not exactly identical in quality. There are some differences in rendering such as FXAA, shadows and some post-processing effects. Stereo mode also uses dynamic aniso setting in texture filtering - variable AF - which is scaled by previous frames' rendering time. Gameplay wise you'd also lose smoother 60fps controls."

Of course, with no 4K firmware support in PlayStation 4, the whole discussion remains firmly rooted in the theoretical, but consider this: 30fps is the same frame-rate as the last-gen console versions of Trine 2, but on top of that, we'd be seeing nine times the raw resolution. Impressive stuff.

Also, fun fact: Okami HD on the PS3 - not PS4 - has an internal rendering resolution of 3840x2160:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/11/05/okami-hd-powered-by-technical-innovation-love

le-seb

API? To read a CD you need to, you know, read it =) in very much the same way as PS4 reads DVDs and BDs. The PCM data gained from this can be sent through HDMI or S/PDIF as is. No need to do anything with it with any software.
Yes, an API, because software has no direct access to hardware in case you don't know, the OS is managing it.
That's why things like libcdio exist, and in the case of the PS4, it has to be done through the SDK.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Thread needs moar jeff_rigby
who is banned currently. Perma banned?
WTF really, wonder why.

I just picked up a new TV for the gaming room, normally I'm a sucker for jumping on the bandwagon early however I held back this time round in order to get a good deal rather the latest and greatest.

In saying that I really want to see 4k streaming, and no doubt the next TV (for my living room) will be 4k.

It will be interesting to see is MS and Sony push out hardware revisions (if required) in order to make PSXB41 4k ready.

dr_rus

Yes, an API, because software has no direct access to hardware in case you don't know, the OS is managing it.
That's why things like libcdio exist, and in the case of the PS4, it has to be done through the SDK.

So software need an API to read a disc in the drive of PS4 now. I wonder how it reads BDs with games without this API at the moment 8)

dr_rus

I'm a system engineer and have been developing software for 15 years now, including an audio CD player when I was back at Uni.
I know how these things work, but just believe what you want.

Ok, let me explain it to you before you'll post another link to a FreeBSD website: since PS4 software can read DVDs and BDs in its drive then the API which you're talking about is already there and there is zero need for anything in software to read CDs. And since CDs are straight PCM encoded there is zero need for software to do anything with the read data. The API which allows that software to send that data to HDMI out is also in place.

The only logical reason why they don't support CD playback after almost 3 years since launch is because the drive itself in current PS4 models can't read CDs physically.

le-seb

Read that EG interview again: Yoshida said in 2013 (that's less than two years ago, by the way) that both MP3 and CD support would be coming later, and we've got MP3 support added not too long ago. He knows his PR well and would have dodged any reference to audio CD in his answer if the console couldn't read them at all.

You're assuming that Sony went cheap and removed the 780 nm diode, but this makes no sense when 780nm/650nm/405nm diodes combos are today's standard and dirty cheap.

And finally, there's this GAFfer saying that the printed instructions refer to playing audio CDs.

So let it go, dude, it's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, especially when it comes to how hardware and software operate together in the real life.

I'm done discussing anything else on this subject with you for this reason, but here's some more food for thought so that you can see the stupidity of your last argument: DVD/BD videos are files accessed through a UDF filesystem while audio CDs are not filesystem based but use a specific format known as Red Book. Very different beasts.

Laser is very similar, disc will go from 25GB per layer to 33GB per layer [up to 3 layers]. I think PS4 will be able to support it, but we have to wait and see.
Don't have to wait, it was obvious for the PS4 with the teardown at launch. I posted on this two months before the Forbes article created the firestorm by stating that the PS4 and XB1 original versions wouldn't support 4K blu-ray.

Perhaps this should be a new thread? There is so much miss-information and it's not self correcting...no one is using Google Search and doing the necessary research. <sigh>. This negatively reflects on NeoGAF but more so on Articles by professionals .

HEwTruVdhAuXZiHr.medium

In the above picture of the original PS4 HDMI chip (same applies to the new PS4 revision):

1) Both are custom HDMI chips.
2) Both have all pins exposed and both motherboard designs make no attempt to hide the video and audio input to the HDMI chip. The video and audio must be encrypted before the HDMI chip! Southbridge handles HDCP 2.2!

The above is lost on just about everyone because they either don't know what a HDMI chip does or didn't notice this. DRM requires every trace or pin that has unencrypted video or audio be hidden inside the board and inaccessible. The HDMI 1.4 chips encrypt inside themselves with key negotiation between transmitter and receiver (Player and TV). In the PS4 designs the video and audio MUST be encrypted in Southbridge as the traces and pins on the custom HDMI chips are accessible.

HDMI 2.0 timings were known but the HDCP scheme was not. Since HDCP takes place in Southbridge it can be firmware updated. The custom HDMI chip supports the faster clock and programmable dividers for HDMI 2 and just passes through HDCP negotiations to Southbridge. All other features remain the same.

Modern Blu-ray drives can support 4K blu-ray There is a 2010 patent from Sony which confirms modern blu-ray drives can support 4k blu-ray. The patent discusses a modification to either the coming 4 layer BDXL in the 2010 blu-ray whitepaper or 3 layer 4K blu-ray disks to make them unreadable on older blu-ray drives by inverting the track information. A software change to later higher spec standard blu-ray drives makes them able to read this inverted track information.

For example, if a new version of the Blu-ray Disc that incorporates a multi-layer structure of at least three layers (hereinafter called the Ver. 2.0 disc) becomes commercially available in the future, it could happen that a user would load a Ver. 2.0 disc into a Ver. 1.0 drive.

Basically, because the Blu-ray Disc format is the same, recording and playing back a Ver. 2.0 disc on a Ver. 1.0 drive would not be absolutely impossible. However, if the Ver. 2.0 disc is achieved by using higher density and more layers, it can be assumed that the various types of specifications with which the Ver. 1.0 drive is provided would not the adequate. So a change to the specs of a blu-ray drive would make it usable for 4K. That's what the 2010 blu-ray BD-R whitepaper was all about. They had from 2010 to do this. Sometime after 2010 modern drives could read 4 layer BDXL which means the could easily read 3 Layer commercial disks.

Therefore, in a case where recording and playback of a Ver. 2.0 disc are done on a Ver. 1.0 drive, there is concern that recording errors and playback errors would occur with greater frequency.
This patent is from 2010 is either about the coming 4 layer BDXL disks or 3 layer 4K and may show that the 3 layer with the 2010 Panasonic-Sony tweak was KNOWN at that time in 2010 to be future 4K blu-ray disk. If it's about coming standard blu-ray drives able to read 4 layers then they can read 3 layer 4K disks. The following cite shows that production equipment to make such a disk was shipping late 2013 which means the standard was known much earlier.

Singulus Develops Technology for 100 GB, 4K Triple-Layer Blu-Ray Discs in 2013

1) A 4K drive has to read 1080P blu-ray disks...
2) The disk standard for 4K was known prior to 2013 when production machines were shipping for those disks
3) Sony was involved in setting the disk standard.
4) The PS4 did not ship till Nov 2013
5) Only the 4K blu-ray format and specs were undecided till this year...I.E. parts that can be firmware updated.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=256623 said:
I've been informed that PC's will not require new Blu-ray drives to playback 4k media/bluray. PC's will only need software that supports 4K (PowerDVD 14 already does this). So we have it then....
PCs will need a newer dGPU or OEM support for trusted boot and HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2

Goto, a well respected Japanese hardware reviewer, speculated the PS4 would have a custom HDMI chip before the 2013 hardware breakdown reveled the Panasonic custom HDMI chip. He never explained why and how it would work and everyone assumed it was a custom HDMI 2.0. He must have known then what the original discover (I cited Ron Jones of the AVS Forum) of the custom nature of the chip means.

You need to understand what a HDMI chip does to fully understand what I'm saying. A HDMI 1.4 chip has a multitude of functions in addition to the video out which don't change from 1.4 to 2.0. For example expanded CEC in HDMI 2.0 is just adding additional commands which are passed through the HDMI chip untouched. The differences are timing/clock/bandwidth and HDCP. The video be it 8 bit or 10 bit is just a stream that has a higher bandwidth (Higher clock) at 60 hz and 10 bit. ALL video generation is done by the player in Southbridge not by the HDMI chip...it just sees a stream of video and audio.

HDMI chips (transmitter and receiver) talk to each other and negotiate an encryption scheme and with supported resolutions the clock timings. HDMI 2.0 has a new HDCP scheme which wasn't known and will be considerably more intense that that in HDMI 1.4 And new resolutions/clock timings which were known.

Top Bottom