• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn won't be 'tutorialised'; RPG systems detailed

Hype Train going full speed. It'd be a shame if there was something on the tracks...

Except for the fact that Guerilla Games has no precedent for making RPGs, and this is what this game is? People are riding a cool premise round trip but, ignoring the robo-dino hype machine, the game itself doesn't have much behind it as far as being able to deliver on all the great sounds. It'd be like if a world-class butcher came to a restaurant and applied to be a head chef .

They hired several acclaimed rpg devs for this game.

Hype Train going full speed. It'd be a shame if there was something on the tracks...

Except for the fact that Guerilla Games has no precedent for making RPGs, and this is what this game is? People are riding a cool premise round trip but, ignoring the robo-dino hype machine, the game itself doesn't have much behind it as far as being able to deliver on all the great sounds. It'd be like if a world-class butcher came to a restaurant and applied to be a head chef .

You think people are hyped with just a simple premise? We have hands-off preview sessions where they explicitly pointed out emergent factors and alternative playstyles from this very same scenario. That's something MOST RPG's do not have! Nevermind the fact this Thundermaw has 93 destructible parts, all factored in multiple scenarios to take down, that requires actual discovery and not spoon-fed to players unlike RPG's this generation. It has been demoed and showcased to various media all coming out with positive impressions.

bombshell

Hah, that's wildly non-committal.

I dunno what could be online integration that isn't coop. Especially in regards to an open world RPG.

I agree. They have been pretty clear about the game being purely singleplayer, so the social features are not going to be anything multiplayer related. I have no idea what they could be.

Loudninja

You think people are hyped with just a simple premise? We have hands-off preview sessions where they explicitly pointed out emergent factors and alternative playstyles from this very same scenario. That's something MOST RPG's do not have! Nevermind the fact this Thundermaw has 93 destructible parts, all factored in multiple scenarios to take down, that requires actual discovery and not spoon-fed to players unlike RPG's this generation. It has been demoed and showcased to various media all coming out with positive impressions.
I think the GI interview pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...rld-of-horizon-zero-dawn.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Lol, thanks for begging the question.

You don't sound like you did even a little research on the game. They're hired up in all the areas they've shown themselves to be weak in previous games.

Since no-one else brought it up, the CD Projekt RED quest designer they hired was responsible for many of the best quests in Witcher 3, including the Bloody Baron.

"Developers from Bethesda" lol. Who writes that without even checking the developer (or knowing it, since Obsidian is hardly an unknown dev) or realising that no-one would care if they just hired a writer from Bethesda because their writing is garbage tier. A lead writer from Obsidian, on the other hand, is something to be excited about.

To me that makes it sound more like it'll be something like the 'multiplayer' aspect in Shadow of Mordor, where you receive a message when someone on your friends list has been killed by an orc captain, and you have the chance to exact retribution. Saying "certain social features" does not make it sound like proper multiplayer is in there though, IMO.

So the E3 trailer has 2.8 million views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE

Take that, Gamergate.

Trying not to be hyperbolic, but I think it's genuinely one of the best reveal trailers I've ever seen. It has an exciting premise (honestly, who doesn't love the idea of robot dinosaurs?!), gorgeous art and visuals, a distinct protagonist, it gives a few minutes of story and background, and then has a few minutes of real gameplay culminating in a fight with a fucking robo T-Rex! This should be the template for how to do reveal trailers; not talking heads shite, CGI trailers or 'in-engine' bullshots. If the game is not at a state of readiness to be showing genuine gameplay like this then it's not ready for reveal anyway.

whoszed

So much more action than RPG

I probably should have expected that.

Yeah, so hopefully the game won't be clunky as shit to play. I don't know, this game could be really cool but in the grand scheme of things we know so little about Horizon that it's really difficult to say what this game really is or how the story will be handled, or what the main focus of the game is besides the "robos" obviously.

killatopak

Gold Member
Remember when Titanfall won all these awards only to disappoint at release?

I hope this isn't the same. I trust GG in the graphics department but I'm skeptical about the gameplay.

This is a new genre for them though so I'm a bit optimistic.

Yeah, so hopefully the game won't be clunky as shit to play. I don't know, this game could be really cool but in the grand scheme of things we know so little about Horizon that it's really difficult to say what this game really is or how the story will be handled, or what the main focus of the game is besides the "robos" obviously.

The gameplay looks smooth as silk compared to what you normally see in RPGs. That is one of the most exciting prospects. A role-playing game not tied down by clunky combat and controls. Might set a new standard for the genre in that area.

rrc1594

I hope this isn't the same. I trust GG in the graphics department but I'm skeptical about the gameplay.

That kind of how I feel also, but the game looks so good.

Awards for vertical slices should always be taken with a grain of salt in regards to their final product, but honestly, the failings of Evolve and Titanfall had nothing to do with why they were awarded those rewards in the first place.

They were awarded because their initial E3 showing demonstrated an excellent concept, an enjoyable core gameplay, etc. They disappointed because there wasn't enough meat in the bones, but you know what? NO GAME, even Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 given awards at a game show are demonstrated or awarded based on the wealth of content, because no one at these shows play it for more than an hour or two tops.

The important thing to take note about Horizon winning awards isn't comparisons with other award-winners that didn't live up to the hype/content, but rather simply an acknowledgement that they're on the right trajectory when it comes to one thing, which was the core concept or gameplay they showed.

DavidDesu

so this an RPG, does that mean it will have dialog trees?

I hope not. I hope they're going to revitalise the RPG away from the Oblivion, Skyrim, Witcher type. Would like a clear narrative that unfolds as you discover the world without feeling like you're missing out on a particular story arc or another by making different choices. Maybe that's just me but I find dialogue in RPGs particularly dull and I don't really care what decisions I make the character make... Would rather they have a solid story to tell with this game, but massage that into this cool emergent gameplay they're talking about.

DavidDesu

The gameplay looks smooth as silk compared to what you normally see in RPGs. That is one of the most exciting prospects. A role-playing game not tied down by clunky combat and controls. Might set a new standard for the genre in that area.

This. It looks like it plays like a fully real time action game where you must aim and strike effectively, rather than some RPGs where you highlight the target and unleash a command from a one button press or a menu which plays out a basic animation. It's on another level to most RPGs I've seen in that regard. I hope to fuck this game sticks to weapons and doesn't introduce airy fairy magic bollocks. Enough with the fucking magic already! If its a game with high quality action led gameplay that also takes place in this open world with the player unravelling the mystery of the world as they play via a well told story... Game of the year for me! :)

Septic360

Banned
This could be mega. The RPG elements could elevate this into something truly special. A new franchise looks set to be created! Bye bye Killzone

Warchild

Banned

Titanfall "won" those awards to keep the manufactured hype train at full steam.

This doesn't feel manufactured, nor is the hype out of control.

Peltz

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. But I still don't know enough to be completely sold on it.

I hope it continues to impress.

Yeah, I loved how smooth the rolling, sliding and fighting looked. None of the jank that you see in games like Skyrim or The Witcher.

If they can tie smooth controls and good mechanics to a great story, interesting quests and meanigful exploration, we could be looking at one one the best new IP in ages.

But please do not make it hand holdy and filled with marker icons to check off, GG. I hate that kind of stuff.

M.D

I don't know if this was mentioned before but I noticed something Aloy said in the trailer that I thought was interesting

When she first speaks about the old ones, she says:

“We know, we weren’t the first ones here. Our stories speak of the ones that came before – the old ones. The world of the old ones was so different than ours. They had built incredible cities, with towers that reaches the stars. But a darkness came, and their cities turned to graves. And without them, the land.. started to change. Their great cities faded away, and in their place, came new life."

"The stories don't tell where the old ones went. They don't tell us why the machines rule these lands. But they warn us, that this balance cannot last."

Notice how she first says that their cities turned into graves, which in my eyes is implying that the majority of humanity had died because of whatever happened.

Then, she says: "The stories don't tell where the old ones went" - Isn't that weird?
In order for the current population to exist, some people must have survived what happened all those years ago, but she also speaks of the "old ones" as if they were some sort of group or entity?

I don't know what to make of this! This game mixes so many different things, it's really hard to tell what direction the story will go, but there's such a strong emphasis on the earth and nature and the tribes resembling native americans.. I have theories - maybe the earth is somehow self aware in this universe? maybe "the old ones" polluted the earth so much that it cause whatever happened? I know it's a common theme to use in post-apocalyptic games - "Nature clamed back the earth", but even the way Aloy speaks of this is different "And without them, the land.. started to change. Their great cities faded away, and in their place, came new life." - it makes it sound as if once the cities and "the old ones" and all they were was gone, things were somehow... better? Did some of "the old ones" manage to survive? maybe they populated another planet?

Also, did you notice what Aloy was hunting in the demo? those were canisters on the deer-like creature containing some sort of material inside of them, but why does he produce that material, and how? we know he eats, we saw him eat some grass in the demo so that means these creatures still eat and in my mind, they are some how connected to the earth and they are part of its eco-system, they are not robo-killers that are only trying to kill us, they live on this earth just like our animals do and are part of nature

gijsbrecht

Neo Member
Did some of "the old ones" manage to survive? maybe they populated another planet?

Interesting you mention this, because I am almost certain that at least some of the 'Old ones' indeed left the planet. In the beginning of the trailer, in the 'cave' paintings some crude depictions of ascending rocket ships can be seen.

Besides the amazing game play, the story and its mysteries also seem to be so interesting.

I am tempted not to read and watch anything anymore about Horizon, so that I will be completely surprised once the game is out.

Of course I will not be able to do so.

M.D

Interesting you mention this, because I am almost certain that at least some of the 'Old ones' indeed left the planet. In the beginning of the trailer, in the 'cave' paintings some crude depictions of ascending rocket ships can be seen.

Besides the amazing game play, the story and its mysteries also seem to be so interesting.

I am tempted not to read and watch anything anymore about Horizon, so that I will be completely surprised once the game is out.

Of course I will not be able to do so.
I'm on mobile right now but I can defintetly see one to the left of skyscraper painting. Thanks for pointing that out!

Something else I just noticed when she speaks at the end of the trailer

"The stories don't tell where the old ones went. They don't tell us why the machines rule these lands. But they warn us, that this balance cannot last."

Notice how she says the stories warn us that the balance between man and machine cannot last

Whoever told these stories or draw the paintings - they somehow knew about the machines and what might happen between man and machine in the future
Did the old civilization lived alongside these machines as well? Maybd even built them?

gijsbrecht

Neo Member
I'm on mobile right now but I can defintetly see one to the left of skyscraper painting.

Yes, and earlier on you can even see some (drawn) figures building constructions which, at first glance, seem to be houses. But the white vertical stripes below these 'houses' are like fire coming out exhaust pipes. So in my opinion these are rockets.

Anyway, this is all speculation, which, for me at least, is so much fun.

The whole concept has much appeal.

stryke

OPM UK is supposed to have exclusive new info in just a few days.

9Za6Pgg.jpg

Inspiration behind Aloy has been released as a preview by Gamesradar+ (I think they're part of the same network with PS Mag UK).

She's inspired by Ripley (Alien), Sarah Connor (Terminator) and Ygritte (Game of Thrones).

http://www.gamesradar.com/horizons-aloy-ripley-and-ygritte-combined-s-where-we-started/

GeoramA

One awesome thing about The Witcher was how detailed all the NPCs were. Interaction with them and side-quests seemed more meaningful than any RPG I've ever played.

Hopefully Guerrilla is gunning for that. Either way, this game is going to give my share button a workout.

Top Bottom