• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really enjoyed the demo as well. Seeing it played live gave a better impression of the combat. The animations actually seem pretty good and the use of UE4 motion blur nicely accentuates character movement.

I definitely see the Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma comparisons but I feel as if this could really solve a lot of the problems I have with those games. I really love the aesthetic with deep green and blue hues all over the place. I must admit, I also really like the headphone gimmick. It creates this weird contrast between the fantasy world and the main character plus I enjoy that kind of driving music for combat (versus the kind of stuff you usually hear in fantastic RPGs).

I'm curious about the world design as recent open world games have really hammered home the fact that I just don't enjoy generic rolling hills and forests. The Witcher 3 really lost me as I feel the world itself is dull and combat just isn't much fun. In comparison, Scalebound seems to feature a much more exciting combat system paired with a very unique world. Floating islands and crazy terrain features make for a place I'm eager to explore. Really hoping the world itself is used in an effective manner rather than serving as a large hub filled with NPCs ready to provide quests.

It's still a ways from release but it seems to be coming along nicely.

Happy to hear that the performance was better behind closed doors/outside of the press conference.
The demo I saw was clearly running on a PC of some kind. It seemed like a generic PC case but I have no idea what hardware was being used or how representative it is of Xbox One performance. It wasn't holding a solid 30fps but it certainly wasn't Dragon's Dogma either. I'd say it was 90% constant in the demo. We're still so far out from release that it's impossible to pass any sort of judgement at this point. Crossing fingers for a solid 30 at launch.

Kamina777

Banned
Grimløck;174080754 said:
looks kind of underwhelming from the protag design to the combat.
I am not liking the protagonist at all.
It's like his design isn't complete and it doesn't help that his voice is grating. I don't doubt platinum to deliver a good game, but this is so slow. This is the game that's supposed to make non xboxone owners want to get one just to play it, but so far I can't see that happening, at least not with what I'm seeing here..they have to be hiding or holding something back.

solis74

I really enjoyed the demo as well. Seeing it played live gave a better impression of the combat. The animations actually seem pretty good and the use of UE4 motion blur nicely accentuates character movement.

I definitely see the Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma comparisons but I feel as if this could really solve a lot of the problems I have with those games. I really love the aesthetic with deep green and blue hues all over the place. I must admit, I also really like the headphone gimmick. It creates this weird contrast between the fantasy world and the main character plus I enjoy that kind of driving music for combat (versus the kind of stuff you usually hear in fantastic RPGs).

I'm curious about the world design as recent open world games have really hammered home the fact that I just don't enjoy generic rolling hills and forests. The Witcher 3 really lost me as I feel the world itself is dull and combat just isn't much fun. In comparison, Scalebound seems to feature a much more exciting combat system paired with a very unique world. Floating islands and crazy terrain features make for a place I'm eager to explore. Really hoping the world itself is used in an effective manner rather than serving as a large hub filled with NPCs ready to provide quests.

Cant wait to see and hear more.

The demo I saw was clearly running on a PC of some kind. It seemed like a generic PC case but I have no idea what hardware was being used or how representative it is of Xbox One performance. It wasn't holding a solid 30fps but it certainly wasn't Dragon's Dogma either. I'd say it was 90% constant in the demo. We're still so far out from release that it's impossible to pass any sort of judgement at this point. Crossing fingers for a solid 30 at launch.

Finally got around to watching the IGN extended demo and you more or less said everything I was going to :)

manfestival

not feeling the combat/gameplay or main character. The story,concept, and art direction do intrigue me.

dac15_duel.gif

Top Bottom