• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2015 Edition

Just finished setting everything up and a lot of organizing is still needed.

Just bought the house and the feature that sold me was the 4th bedroom being upstairs which is my game/TV room :) (yes, its messy right now)
Jh6wvfNl.jpg

KdJge1Ml.jpg

Sony 4K TV
lWaeVCAl.jpg
You must live in the Chicago burbs it looks like. looks nice.

Mohonky

What are you using for those back lights? I'd love to do that on my TV and on my computer.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...ensity_R_C_LED_Flexible_Strip_Blue_1mtr_.html

I use these LED's, Blue and Red.

They are flexible with a self adhesive backing. You just cut them to the length you need (they are in groups of 3 LED's per segment). Soldered on my own connecting wire to put them in parallel and used some black braid over the top of the wires so it looks neater. These are 12v, so I power them off;

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Prod.../Switchmode-Mains-Adaptor-12VDC-1-5A/p/MP3486

All you do with that is cut off the end and solder the - and + to the corresponding terminals on the LED wires.

I used 1.5a, but you can get away with 400ma.

Technically supposed to be 6500k D65, but meh, boring. I actually wanted a separation between the red and the blue, but because the Red angles up due to the angle of the monitor stand, it comes off purple. Which actually looked good, so I didn't bother to make any adjustments.

20150811_163036.jpg

20150811_163254.jpg

20150811_162413.jpg

Here is my humble and unfinished game room. I took the closet doors off and shoved a couch in it and you can tell its not painted still haha. Pretty small room but its perfect since its just my lady and I with 3 cats. I sit approx 7 feet from the screen.

47" Panasonic 120hz TV
Sony 5.2 Receiver
Super crappy 5.0 speakers and Klipsch SW450 10" sub
Laptop with wireless keyboard and mouse. (my gaming rig went down last summer and I havent had the funds to rebuild it yet. The new speakers will come first though.)
PS4
Got a 6500k light behind the tv as well for better contrast and less eye fatigue. Its just an office clip light with a 6500k daylight bulb.

The WiiU is out in the living room on a 55" TV.

And thats it. Its always good to see what people come up with for maximizing their hobby room! Nice setup ups ladies and gents.

Boomshaw

Banned
Hey guys! Some awesome set ups in this thread! Loving it! I will try and get some pics of mine once i tidy it up a lil.

But I have a question, is the Lightberry thing worth it? Seems a bit of a ball ache to set up? I dont really know how raspberry pi works and I only have a mac. No pc?

Tankshell

Just moved house, have put a fair bit of effort into making a nice new clean setup, some pics:

Living Room:

• Did my best to hide all the ugly cables via some skirting board cable management
  • Projector is sat on shelf high up behind the sofa, image is vertically inverted (as if you were ceiling mounting, but without the hassle of ceiling mounting!) once again cables are routed via some white cable ducting, up around the shelves behind the books etc, to hide them, think it worked out quite well
  • PJ is an aging Optoma HD23 (full 1080p, bright enough to watch during to the day and a light cannon during the evening/night when most of our watching/gaming takes place)
  • I custom wall mounted the main white high gloss TV unit (was designed to sit on the floor on feet), is one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UTQ4TC/
  • Speakers: still using my trusty old Logitech Z5500 5.1 system, I thought the silver/aluminium control unit looked especially good sat on top of the white gloss TV unit!
  • A white PS4 will shortly be joing the Sky+HD box on the bottom shelf...
  • General multimedia control is all handled via a Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote + hub: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/harmony-ultimate
  • Lighting is all Phillips Hue (controlled via Harmony remote also, or via IOS app): http://www2.meethue.com/en-gb/
  • The actual PC that is running Steam is in my office upstairs (so no noise), and is wirelessly sent downstairs via one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007Q2B2UW/ I have raved about these before but they really are very good. TL;DR, full 1080p video and lossless audio transmitter, most importantly ZERO lag like you get with most powerline systems, so perfect for gaming
  • Control of Windows 10 whilst downstairs away from the keyboard and mouse is done completely via a simple remote mouse app on my phone/tablet: http://mobilemouse.com/
  • Whilst playing games I use a wireless Xbox 360 pad or PS4 controller
  • Limited run "Earth Alliance" ( 1/500) signed Mass Effect 3 concept art on wall

Office:

• Custom built desk (by me!) to fit available space (not a huge room)
  • Cable management runs under the desktop so not trailing cables on floor (really bugs me!)
  • Logitech G19 gaming keyboard + mouse
  • PC spec is aging but still quite competent: 2500K@4.5Ghz, EVGA 780TI SC, 2x500Gb SSDs (dual boot Windows/Linux), 16Gb DDR3 RAM
  • Coolermaster Cosmos-S tower in black carbon fiber and aluminium alloy, which is also aging, but is still lovely and I can't find anything I like more yet! http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-s/
  • Oculus Rift DK2 (currently boxed up as we have just moved house and have not had change to set it all up again, I do have an awesome Elite Dangerous setup though!)
  • Planning on creating some kind of proper VR setup in our garage, Vive etc.
  • Yoshi!

Rogan

Banned
Just moved in my new apartment! I won a fair amount of money and decided to move. Bought everything new. Moving from 1 place to the other was easy, a few boxes, bags and clothing.
Nothing special, just a regular set-up.

ZfUksEf.jpg

Mid-tier gaming PC. The 2 screen upgrade has changed my life.

Edit: Cable management is something that would change my life too.

WDPGrFz.jpg

Want to mount my TV on the wall, but I am to lazy.

Just bought the Sonos soundbar + Sonos speakers (Play1) and the sound is incredible.

Hard to see, but there is a PS4 under my TV.

The couch is from the Ikea KIVIK serie.

Arttemis

Was just about to ask if anyone has the Ikea Lappland. Would I be able to fit a PS4/PS3/Xbox One on the left side shelves, and are the middle shelves able to be raised? They look a little low for something I'd want to fit below my TV.
The cube shelves are just over 13" wide, so it can definitely fit a PS3 and PS4, but I think the Xbone is too wide.

The slim shelves under the TV can't be adjusted without finding a taller vertical divider and drilling new holes into the other planks, but not at all impossible or difficult.

Those slim shelves aren't that tall, but considering the depth of this entertainment center, the back of any console will be close to the rear of the shelf, giving a clear shot at all the ventilation it needs.

Tankshell

That looks all kinds of amazing!

Z5500 Pod still looks good after all these years.

Yep, one of my best ever investments! Just looked back through my Amazon order history and originally bought it way back on 27 March 2007!

Impressed it is still going and basically working as well as the day I unpacked it (even after 3 house moves).

Technically this is it's modern day successor, the Z906, but I much prefer the alloy/aluminium look of the older Z5500 TBH: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=1588

paskowitz

Purpose:
I am a comfy couch PC gamer through and through. TV, media keyboard, Dualshock 24/7. I use my PC for gaming but I also watch a lot of movies. For me, an HDTV is "good enough" for gaming. 1440p/144hz Gsync is great and all but not great enough for the price. My main game genre is sim racing. In which case, a <30 screen really doesn't work all that well since you are often position pretty far from it (thus negating the benefits of higher resolution). 50 inches gives a much more immersive feel. With that said a move to desk gaming may be something I look at in the future.

Aesthetics:
Personally, I consider the current state to be a little rough but for the time being it is satisfactory. My main goal was to carbon fiber everything... I think I succeeded. I love the look of carbon fiber and the properties of the (actual) material. So I got some vinyl wrap and went to town on the inside and exterior of the case (unfortunately... it does not make my Define R4 any lighter). I also want to add a bit of sheen to the look so I applied a gloss spray. Unfortunately, a side effect of this was it made the surfaces more adhesive to particles. Won't make that mistake again. I thought I would use some brushed metal vinyl to mix things up and match a little better with the mobo, so that went on the front door and a little on the inside. I originally wanted to avoid black and red but in today's age of computer parts, it is almost impossible. Next up will be revinyling the exterior, custom graphic for the PSU, custom cables (don't know what color), and a better lighting kit than the one I currently have. If I do a new build, it will definitely have a larger window and likely a smaller form factor. The Build Race Party sticker is there because Bill Caswell is awesome.

Layout:
Outside of performance and looks, I wanted this build to be silent. While the 980 ti Classified is not exactly the quietest card on the market it isn't too bad. I found that when the CPU rad fans were on the inside they dumped warm air right into the GPU and caused it to then require higher fan speeds and thus make noise. Putting the CPU rad fans in a push format avoids this without a noticeable noise penalty. The rear Noctua fan does the heavy lifting and extracts the majority of the hot GPU air. My WD Black HDD is on the bottom of the case floor while the other drives are located in the 5 inch bays. There is also another Fractal Design fan in the bay that keeps these drives cool, since hot air can get trapped up there. All hard drives are mounted with rubber washers and double sided tape (just easier for removal).

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.6Ghz/1.22v - 5.0Ghz/1.33v | MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula | RAM: PNY XLR8 1600Mhz 16GB DDR3 | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified 1500/8000Mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 850W | Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3TB, WD Black 7200rpm 3TB | Cooling: Corsair H100i, Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 2000 PWM Fan, 2X Fractal Design GP14-BK 140mm Fan | Case: Fractal Design R4 Blackout w/Window | Peripherals: Oculus Rift DK2, Astro A50 Wireless Headphones, Sony DualShock 4, Microsoft Wireless Media Keyboard, Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2, Fanatec BMW GT2 and Formula Rims, Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3, Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ | Display: Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD

Tower Images:

3DMark Performance:
z4WMQ4Nl.png

Full Setup:
Coming soon... (once I clean my living room)... and the contractors stop using it as a dump

Im sub'd to this beautiful thread, but Ive never made a decent contribution ever! Just moved down to FL for work, and finally got my apartment bedroom set up decently. Keep up the good work people, I appreciate a lot of the ideas in here!

bjPPx1Y.jpg

JKbOdkC.jpg

Bulp8v6.jpg

Im sub'd to this beautiful thread, but Ive never made a decent contribution ever! Just moved down to FL for work, and finally got my apartment bedroom set up decently. Keep up the good work people, I appreciate a lot of the ideas in here!

bjPPx1Y.jpg

Is that the new m-series? If so what size and how do you like it?

Is that the new m-series? If so what size and how do you like it?
It sure is!!! It's the 55-inch model, got it off Amazon for a little over $800. The picture quality is phenomenal(with some minor tweaking) for the price of 4K. Works well for gaming, watching content, and hooking up my 15 retina to browse the web is my favorite :)

Do you really use it with the projection hitting your TV like that? I have a 1070 myself, and I love it. I was a bit worried, going from a 1600p monitor to a 1080p projector, but downsampling from 2560x1440 in Witcher 3 still looks fantastic. I finally got a proper screen for it, too, and it looks much better than using the wall.

Nope, that was just a quick test on the first day. Will eventually ceiling hang it and sell the tv on mayhap...

Haven't tried the Witcher on it yet, but PQ in general is aces!

Falchion

Just moved for a new job and am renting a room in a condo by the beach. I finished setting everything up earlier today and am pretty happy with how everything turned out. I fit a lot into a small space but I think don't think it's too crowded and I'm excited to play some games in here.

Only have my One and PS4 hooked up to the TV right now, the 360 and PS3 are under my futon until I want to play them.

Here are parts of my collection:

Although these are photgraphed in July, they are unchanged now.

kGxChpJ.jpg

This is at my house. GC, some of my PS2 games, and a few Saturn and DC games.

D5fsBha.jpg

Here is my virtual boy I haven't taken out of my parent's basement yet.

Just moved for a new job and am renting a room in a condo by the beach. I finished setting everything up earlier today and am pretty happy with how everything turned out. I fit a lot into a small space but I think don't think it's too crowded and I'm excited to play some games in here.

Only have my One and PS4 hooked up to the TV right now, the 360 and PS3 are under my futon until I want to play them.

You're room looks so much like my room in college years back. Same tv stand, carpet color, window placement, door placement, desk placement.
I'll try to find a pic.

alexbull_uk

Redid my room during my time off work during the summer, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Won't bother going into excessive detail, but there's a decent PC, all the last+current gen consoles, a 4K TV and pretty nice 5.1 surround setup.

Evo X

Ok, I am not that good at taking pictures, but here is my setup.

Work/PC gaming:

Humanscale Freedom chair and Sharper Image glass/aluminum desk.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
CPU: I7 5960X
Ram: 16GB G.Skill 2666mhz DDR4
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1
GPU: Nvidia Titan X
Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Seasonic X-760
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift 144hz GSYNC
Sound: Swans M12
KB/M: Corsair Vengeance K70 & Logitech G9X
Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61

ma6li4s.jpg

mLbp9W2.jpg

qJ4Gttu.jpg

Home Theater:

I removed the blackout curtains for this picture, and turned off the white 6500K LED back lighting behind the TV.

Electric reclining movie theater style leather seats. Old timey fresh popcorn machine.

Panasonic VT60, Klipsch Reference RF-82 speakers paired with SVS PB-2000 subwoofer, and Denon X-2100 7.2 receiver. Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and a PS3 for media.

Uhs0Fp5.jpg

MmMllMt.jpg

1nPgIU8.jpg

QEXFvnc.jpg

EGeaWM8.jpg

QgNppSy.jpg

Simple desk and gaming PC but what really makes the setup is the huge window. Being on 19th floor and facing west provides really nice backdrop for gaming or general use. Sometimes the conditions outside the match the game you're playing; kind of adds to the immersion. It's sweet. On that note: just got this Dell U3415W yesterday.

Falchion

You're room looks so much like my room in college years back. Same tv stand, carpet color, window placement, door placement, desk placement.
I'll try to find a pic.

That's awesome, I'd love to see it! Yeah the space is small but I kind of like that because it allowed me to move without much furniture and I don't need very much so it's perfect.

Here are a few pictures of the games room I have along with some of the DIY projects I've put together over the course of about 6 years or so. The room used to be a dining room but was donated to me by my wife as she knows how much I enjoy building these things and agreed that the room wasn't getting much use anyway. I will have to change it a little to accommodate my current project but that's a challenge for later.

Any skills I've acquired have been a consequence of these project builds. I had no experience in woodworking until I started a few years ago. I have a limited toolset with a router, jigsaw, drill, power drill/driver, a couple of clamps and a small workbench being those that I typically used. All projects are cut and finished by hand. I also do any artwork associated with the projects (with a couple of exceptions where I've sourced images from the net).

Room layout #1:

To the left, there is the R-POD MKII racing simulator, in the centre is a heavily modified gaming desk and to the right is an Arcade cabinet.

Room layout #2:

This shows the Raptor cabinet I constructed for 2 Player PC games and for my son's PS4 console. The arcade cabinet is to the left and an old REL Strata subwoofer located on the right. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS And Saitek combat rudder pedals can be seen on top. This picture was taken before the HOTAS was re-cased as part of the project I'm currently working on.

The R-Pod MKII racing simulator:

This took approximately 350 hour to build and it was constructed from a number of materials (MDF sheet, automotive mesh, aluminium rods/plate/strips, chalkboard vinyl, rubber sheet, acrylic, artwork, leather material, carpet, t-molding, carbon fibre, badge, tow hook, fire extinguisher, seat rails, USB ports, USB hub, cables etc) which brought the construction costs up quite considerably.

The exercise here was to construct something with a 'no compromise' approach as far as my skills would allow. I've typically found that there are plenty of opportunities to cut corners and that is something I wanted to avoid. It's a MKII as it replaced an earlier version I had made.

The dashboard uses a hacked button box and includes, rotary controls, toggle switches and 4 Neutrik USB ports. The shaped MDF panels have been covered in real carbon fibre:

I also made a mount for an Android phone to run the DAshMeterPro software to provide a display for speed, revs, tyre temperature laptimes etc:

This project provided me with a lot of opportunities to learn more about creating more interesting aesthetics. The shifter pod was the first time I'd attempted anything more complex than a flat panel. I included a number of windows in one of the sides in order to fit a number of inlays. Included here are ribbed rubber sheet on the upper section, automotive mesh on the lower left and artwork covered with cast acrylic on the lower sections. I have tried top customise. The builds as well with various bits and pieces for added interest. A small fire extinguisher was attached to the rear sloping panel.

Other accessories I've used include a custom made badge, a tow hook and integrated LED lighting throughout:

This picture shows the detailing used for one of the panels used on the front of the rig. Typically for finishing the MDF, I will fill the edges with car body filler (it's the only way I have found to guarantee good results), undercoat, use flat black paint and coat with polyurethane varnish. There is plenty of re-filling and sanding as the layers are laid down. All are water based and a small foam roller is used to apply.

The build itself will require updating to include 3 screens when funds allow. The rig also includes 4 Buttkickers attached to the body contact points to provide tactile feedback. There are 2 under the seat, one under the pedals and one next to the shifter. The kickers are managed by Simvibe software which uses telemetry information from the racing simulation software to power them, rather than just taking low frequency output.

This picture shows the two attached to the seat. A 4mm aluminium plate has been bolted onto the underside of the seat and the Buttkickers attached to it:

There is a very comprehensive build log here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138146.0.html

There is also a video tour available should you be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsgAQQIorJU

Vewlix Arcade Cabinet

The arcade machine was a project initially completed in 2009 but has been updated since then to look more like the original. This is based on a real cabinet and includes 4.1 sound configured as dual stereo an a single player control panel like many of the real cabinets. This project uses a 24 inch monitor rather than a 32 inch and is therefore too narrow for a 2 player panel anyway. If I were to move house and have more room, I would build another for 2 player action.

I took a little license with the design of the main control panel and included thin aluminium strips along the lengths of the control panel to provide a more interesting aesthetic. Sanwa buttons and stick have been used which are connected to an XBOX fight pad. The 'Insert Coin' sticker was made in Photoshop and the coin slot is not fully functional yet.

Close up of the main panel section:

Tournament edition badge with chrome surround I had made to provide some extra detailing:

I also designed a fornt end screen for the cabinet using Maximus Arcade software. A lot of those readily available use interfaces with a more traditional feel suited to classic arcade machines. I wanted something a little more modern. A short clip of the selected game is played once it's highlighted on the list.

A full build log for this project can be found here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,95907.0.html

A video tour can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1m2ueZLQk

Gaming Desk:

As I have so many projects to fit into the available space, I couldnt afford the luxury of a large desk. A small footprint has been used but more space made available through the contruction of a shelf which includes an adjustable monitor pole embedded into it. This liberates apce usually taken up by large monitor stands. Sides and a new front section have been cut and attached to the desk in addition the the shelf. The shaped side panels have been spray painted and took about 6 weeks to get to a point where I was finally happy with them. I'd love to buy a proper spray gun at some point but can't justify the cost at the moment.

This shows the separate front section which has been attached. It also shows the blackboard / chalkboard vinyl covering applied to the original desk and MDF sections. The vinyl is thicker and more durable than regular vinyl and has a nice texture to it. This is a picture taken a number of years after the vinyl was applied so you can see how well it's holding up:

Excuse the mess in this one, my room always descend into a bit of a mess during project builds. This shows the general shape of the desk and also additional side pieces attached to the legs to hide any cables:

Raptor cabinet:

I dubbed this the Raptor as It looks a little like a small dinosaur sat on its haunches from the side. It is used for both PC and console games and incorporates a 32 inch display. The sound output is taken from the display and run through to some active speakers located in the upper compartment of the main cabinet. This was originally built for my son to use.

Metal table legs have been used to provide the main support for the display and white tubing used to conceal all the cabling. The cabinet, like the Vewlix, sits on self leveling, adjustable feet:

This project was the first time I'd made any front panels - here I've used automotive mesh to allow the necessary air circulation within it:

CP-1 Space Simulation Seat:

The CP-1 (Command Pod 1)is my latest project and has been designed with Elite Dangerous and Start citizen in mind. This is currently work in progress. It's the first time I've attempted any upholstering and this has proved to be a great learning experience, especially considering the shaped panels I've elected to use. Ultimately this will be used with a VR headset for what I hope will be a very absorbing experience. The build has taken a lot of design elements from the R-Pod as you can see. The whole build will sit on a base so it is raised a little from the ground and also incorporate rudder pedals.

This picture shows the seat paneling. Each piece was cut separately, foam attached and covered in gray leather vinyl material. This was fairly challenging to get right. The seat itself was cut and reshaped a number of times to ensure the ergonomics were correct and it was comfortable.

The panels for the side pods were constructed in the same way as those for the R-Pod.

I have also re-cased the HOTAS. This picture shows the new cases which will be attached to the side pods:

Elite badges have been used on the rear sloping section of these cases for a bit of added interest:

A build log for the CP-1 is currently running here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43192

If you have any questions about any of these projects, please let me know.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Oh my god. Your work is amazing, everything has a nice cohesive look, and so sleekly designed!

Oh my god. Your work is amazing, everything has a nice cohesive look, and so sleekly designed!

Thanks for that, I appreciate the comment. The integrated look is one of the advantages you have when going the DIY route; you can build per your specs rather than be constrained by anyone else's!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Thanks for that, I appreciate the comment. The integrated look is one of the advantages you have when going the DIY route; you can build per your specs rather than be constrained by anyone else's!
Most definitely, I wish I had the skill and tools to do that sort of work. What's your background, do you have a job related to machining and product design or have you just been doing this entirely as a hobby? I can't imagine it could be the latter, this stuff is professional-grade.

Really dig the Raptor in particular, such a snappy little space-saver!

Most definitely, I wish I had the skill and tools to do that sort of work. What's your background, do you have a job related to machining and product design or have you just been doing this entirely as a hobby? I can't imagine it could be the latter, this stuff is professional-grade.

Really dig the Raptor in particular, such a snappy little space-saver!

I'm an IT manager - I've always enjoyed making things though. No training in anything like that, I just have a few ideas about what I'd like to come up with and take it from there.

I guess one of the main attributes for these types of projects is a reasonable degree of patience to avoid cutting corners on the design or finish.

Top Bottom