• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sheriff's investigators to recommend manslaughter charge for Caitlyn Jenner

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AP said:
BREAKING: Sheriff's investigators to recommend manslaughter charge for Caitlyn Jenner in fatal crash.

From AP's twitter feed.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dedcf2233dba43ba9619ed79a57fa5e6/investigators-recommend-jenner-face-manslaughter

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sheriff's investigators plan to recommend prosecutors file a vehicular manslaughter charge against Caitlyn Jenner for her role in a fatal car crash on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu last February.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida says investigators found that Jenner was driving "unsafe for the prevailing road conditions" because her SUV rear-ended a Lexus, pushing it into oncoming traffic.

The Lexus driver, 69-year-old Kim Howe, was killed when her car was struck head-on by a Hummer.

Nishida says the case will be presented for final review next week. The district attorney will determine what charges Jenner ultimately faces.

If convicted of such a charge, Jenner would face up to one year in county jail.

Mod Abuse:
Their investigation found that speed was a factor, considering the existing traffic conditions, Nishida said. Daniel W. Vomhof, an accident reconstructionist, said the additional weight from towing a loaded trailed makes it more difficult to stop a vehicle quickly and can surprise people.

Jenner was hauling an off-road vehicle on a trailer behind her Cadillac Escalade on Feb. 7 when she steered to avoid cars slowing for a traffic light in front of her on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.
Detectives talked to Jenner, the victims, their attorneys and family. They looked at information from the vehicles’ internal computers, as well as cellphone records.

Cellphone records show no one was using the devices at the time of the crash, Curry said.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-manslaughter-charge-caitlyn-jenner-20150820-story.html

Balphon

Sheriffs still exist?

On the off chance that you're being serious, a sheriff is typically the head law enforcement official in a county or county-equivalent in the United States. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office is one of the largest law enforcement agencies in the country.

I wasn't aware she was involved in a severe car crash, so for a moment I thought it was going to be about some idiot sheriff comparing her gender reassignment to manslaughter or something.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm not sure any jail/prison time makes sense for an accidental death like this, but a life-time ban on using your license seems appropriate at the minimum.

yeah, for whatever reason I was under the impression that this was cell phone related, but I see the article says thats not the case.

"Oops I'm bad at driving" is a pretty shitty reason to charge someone with felony manslaughter (Yeah I see it's misdemeanor manslaughter, good). I say it again and again, but driver training in America sucks dick so we can't act all surprised and outraged when someone does something stupid and ends up killing people.

Red Mage

I have a question, and I hope I'm not being rude or anything.

From my understanding, Jenner has not had a complete gender re-assignment surgery, i.e. the male genitals have not been removed. From a legal stand-point, where would they put her if she were to serve jail time?

Slayven

"Oops I'm bad at driving" is a pretty shitty reason to charge someone with felony manslaughter (Yeah I see it's misdemeanor manslaughter, good). I say it again and again, but driver training in America sucks dick so we can't act all surprised and outraged when someone does something stupid and ends up killing people.

Wasn't she on the phone when this happen"?

From my understanding, Jenner has not had a complete gender re-assignment surgery, i.e. the male genitals have not been removed. From a legal stand-point, where would they put her if she were to serve jail time?

My coworker's daughter is a warden of a jail and he's said before that they have separate holding for transgendered people. I'm sure this varies by state, facility and judge, though.

Wasn't she on the phone when this happen"?

I'm not familiar with the case, but let's not act like driver education is to the point where society has firmly grasped the risks of using a phone while driving. Certainly not enough to warrant felony charges for doing it.

She was on her phone.

OctoMan

Banned
If she was on the phone, doesn't seem near enough. If just an accident I think it's too much to serve jail time.

She was on her phone.

If she was on the phone, doesn't seem near enough. If just an accident I think it's too much to serve jail time.

Every crash (not accident) is caused by someone fucking up and doing something wrong. Is cellphone use significantly more dangerous? Yeah. Do I feel that it justifies otherwise normal people who don't fully grasp its risks going to jail? No, that's fucking ludicrous.

Jail is for people who are dangerous to others. Fine, revocation of their license and a requirement for extensive education is appropriate, not jail time.

Sheytan

so if she is convicted they send her to an all female jail?

Transgender prisoners are assigned to a male or female prison according to their birth-assigned gender

OctoMan

Banned
Every crash (not accident) is caused by someone fucking up and doing something wrong. Is cellphone use significantly more dangerous? Yeah. Do I feel that it justifies otherwise normal people who don't fully grasp its risks going to jail? No, that's fucking ludicrous.

Jail is for people who are dangerous to others. Fine, revocation of their license and a requirement for extensive education is appropriate, not jail time.
Do you think drunk drivers who kill people should never serve jail time?

Do you think drunk drivers who kill people should never serve jail time?

You can't be serious.

I'm 100% serious. People know drunk driving is dangerous and react to others doing it. How many people do you see driving down the road on their cellphone? Do police pull them over? How often do passengers speak up when the driver answers a call, or uses a phone to text?

The level of awareness right now is "Well I know I shouldn't, but I'm a safe driver I'll be okay." Until that changes you can't just slap people with 10-20 year prison sentences for phone use leading to an accident. What good does that do for anyone?

Flo_Evans

I think famous people should have to do PSAs or something in cases like these. Probably not fair but so what. Stop driving around like a moron and pay attention when other peoples lives are at risk.

Like people who kill other people because they were looking at their phone while driving?

Oh wow that's the first time I've heard that argument great point.

Let's say you answer your phone while driving, and as a result kill a person crossing a crosswalk. What is the likelihood you answer the phone again while driving? Oh and by the way you won't have a license for two years. Are you such a dangerous person that you can't be allowed to walk the streets?

I think famous people should have to do PSAs or something in cases like these. Probably not fair but so what. Stop driving around like a moron and pay attention when other peoples lives are at risk.

How about we actually train people to drive before issuing licenses before we get all upset when somebody does something they shouldn't. Right now driver education in America is "Here, read this rule book and take this joke of a test. Great job here's a license, but remember: you're completely responsible for knowing all the laws we never discussed. Anyway, have fun!"

Stet

Banned
I'm 100% serious. People know drunk driving is dangerous and react to others doing it. How many people do you see driving down the road on their cellphone? Do police pull them over? How often do passengers speak up when the driver answers a call, or uses a phone to text?

The level of awareness right now is "Well I know I shouldn't, but I'm a safe driver I'll be okay." Until that changes you can't just slap people with 10-20 year prison sentences for phone use leading to an accident. What good does that do for anyone?

they don't slap people with 10-20 year prison sentences for phone use leading to an accident.

they slap people with 10-20 year prison sentences for phone use leading to a fatal car crash.

Frog-fu

Banned

This some unfiltered bullshit.

This wasn't an innocent fender bender that resulted in minor bruising.

A person died because of Caitlyn Jenner. She needs to be held accountable and responsible for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom