• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight – amiibo Reveal Trailer

ElTopo

Banned
KYSnn4Q.gif

Byoutiful.

NoKisum

Cool on Nintendo to get indies on the amiibo train. Hope to see a Shantae one in the future personally.

Still wish Yacht Club would put out a demo for Shovel Knight so I could finally try the game out.

jett

D-Member
Not buying a dumb figure to unlock "exclusive" challenge stages. Guess I'll be missing out on those. Sad to see the Playstation and Xbox versions of the game get actual free exclusive content, and Nintendo versions thrown behind a dumb gimmick like this. Meh.

I just realized PC owners are seriously getting the short end of the stick here.

Sou Da

Cool on Nintendo to get indies on the amiibo train. Hope to see a Shantae one in the future personally.

Still wish Yacht Club would put out a demo for Shovel Knight so I could finally try the game out.

They'd lock a transformation behind it.

TheYanger

Neither of those examples would have existed if amiibo hadn't existed, which is the point I'm making. They're not locking content behind amiibo, they're creating content for amiibo.

How do Amiibo apologists still try and act like this is how content creation works?
EVERY piece of amiibo content in every nintendo game would just as easily be made as DLC without the toys. The fact that people actually buy that corporate line is insane.

This challenge mode they're locking behind an amiibo paywall sounds like a better challenge mode than what they promised in stretch goals for the Kickstarter and haven't delivered on yet. Nice one.

In their defense, stuff is taking a while longer as they also ported the game to multiple other platforms before working on the DLC, which outside of the amiibo content should be free.

Also note that the challenge mode will be growing with each DLC release. Plague of Shadows will have challenges for both Plague and Shovel Knight. The amiibo challenge stages will make use of the special abilities earned by leveling up the amiibo.

JoeM86

How do Amiibo apologists still try and act like this is how content creation works?
EVERY piece of amiibo content in every nintendo game would just as easily be made as DLC without the toys. The fact that people actually buy that corporate line is insane.

Ok, you made me do it :p

Let's take the Mario amiibo since it has the most compatibility:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS - Read/Write - Figure Player (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Mario Party 10 - Read/Write - amiibo Party character (Not feasible as downloadable content) + Special daily item (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Hyrule Warriors - Read - Random weapon, item or rupees each day (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Mario Kart 8 - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - 1-up a day (Not feasible as downloadable content)
amiibo Touch & Play - Read - Gives access to a special trial of a game (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Yoshi's Woolly World - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory)
Super Mario Maker - Read - amiibo Costume (Not feasible as DLC considering you can get it without the amiibo)
One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy + - Read - Special amiibo Planes (Could be DLC in theory)
Style Savvy 3 - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory) + Special daily item (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Chibi Robo Zip Lash - Read - Special Chibi Robo Figurine Pose (Not entirely feasible as DLC but could be)
Hyrule Warriors Legends - Read - Random weapon, item or rupees each day (Not feasible as downloadable content)

So for one £10.99 amiibo, you have 13 games compatible with it, with more to come, and most of which are not feasible as DLC and the stuff that could be is just silly cosmetic stuff that people would then moan about being DLC.

Regardless of that, almost all of that content was developed solely for the amiibo. It's not them making something and then thinking "hmm, let's lock this behind amiibo". Yes, it may suck that it's "locked" behind it, but let's not pretend this content would exist if amiibo didn't.

It's pretty ridiculous how they justify it... Amiibos are nothing but glorified physical DLC used to milk the biggest of fans and leave out non toy figure buying gamers.

Dad

So co-op mode wasn't said to be exclusive. So will it be paid DLC on the other versions?

Let’s break it down:

Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)!

Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together!
Use new cooperative moves to help each other out along the way!

Deep Customization!

Level up by defeating enemies and finding treasure!
Earn all-new relics, abilities, and powers you never thought possible!
Customize the look of your Shovel Knight with cool and crazy cosmetic options!
Use your custom amiibo seamlessly between 3DS and Wii U!

Exclusive Challenge Stages!

Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities!

One amiibo, multiple games

We plan to continue support of the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products! Stay tuned to amiibo.com for compatibility details in new games.

From Yachtclub's site

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS - Read/Write - Figure Player (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Mario Party 10 - Read/Write - amiibo Party character (Not feasible as downloadable content) + Special daily item (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Hyrule Warriors - Read - Random weapon, item or rupees each day (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - 1-up a day (Not feasible as downloadable content)
amiibo Touch & Play - Read - Gives access to a special trial of a game (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Super Mario Maker - Read - amiibo Costume (Not feasible as DLC considering you can get it without the amiibo)
One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy + - Read - Special amiibo Planes (Could be DLC in theory)
Style Savvy 3 - Read - amiibo Costume (Could be DLC in theory) + Special daily item (Not feasible as downloadable content)
Chibi Robo Zip Lash - Read - Special Chibi Robo Figurine Pose (Not entirely feasible as DLC but could be)
Hyrule Warriors Legends - Read - Random weapon, item or rupees each day (Not feasible as downloadable content)

So for one £10.99 amiibo, you have 13 games compatible with it, with more to come, and most of which are not feasible as DLC and the stuff that could be is just silly cosmetic stuff that people would then moan about being DLC.

Regardless of that, almost all of that content was developed solely for the amiibo. It's not them making something and then thinking "hmm, let's lock this behind amiibo". Yes, it may suck that it's "locked" behind it, but let's not pretend this content would exist if amiibo didn't.

No the way Nintendo used to do things was this would just be extra bonus content that was in the game to begin with because Nintendo was that great of a company before.

Let's not pretend that when the popularity of Amiibos rose, and the $$$ started coming in that Nintendo didn't turn into a way for them to milk their fan base.

TheYanger

Why are you pretending it wouldn't? Almost everything you listed as 'not feasible' as DLC is actually highly feasible or entirely pointless. 1 ups in captain toad? come the fuck on. Random items in hyrule warriors? All of that shit is feasible as dlc, it wouldn't exist as dlc because nobody would buy it, ever. If those were what all the amiibo content were nobody would give a shit.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Is this the special Nintendo announcement Yacht Club were keeping under wraps? Eh... The co-op mode is great, but locking it behind an amiibo purchase is gross, mostly considering how hard it is to buy those in this region.

I much prefer the Battletoads tie-in on Xbox. Free for all and fits the style/heart of Shovel Knight's gameplay and aesthetic.

Stencil

I don't understand why everyone is so pissy about "locking" content behind an amiibo. You could pay $13 for co-op, or you could pay $13 for co-op and a sweet figurine?

I don't understand why everyone is so pissy about "locking" content behind an amiibo. You could pay $13 for co-op, or you could pay $13 for co-op and a sweet figurine?

I'm a grown ass man that doesn't need and shouldn't need to buy toy figures that don't interest me to get a full experience of a Video Game

JoeM86

Why are you pretending it wouldn't? Almost everything you listed as 'not feasible' as DLC is actually highly feasible or entirely pointless. 1 ups in captain toad? come the fuck on. Random items in hyrule warriors? All of that shit is feasible as dlc, it wouldn't exist as dlc because nobody would buy it, ever. If those were what all the amiibo content were nobody would give a shit.

I'm listing all use of the amiibo. I'm not going to pick and choose.

No the way Nintendo used to do things was this would just be extra bonus content that was in the game to begin with because Nintendo was that great of a company before.

Let's not pretend that when the popularity of Amiibos rose, and the $$$ started coming in that Nintendo didn't turn into a way for them to milk their fan base.

Except all the content, aside from Shovel Knight and Splatoon, is minor at best, and yet people are complaining that they're locking content. That's the thing.

Hell, look at Super Mario Maker. The content is free in the game as it is, the amiibo just unlocks it early, but based on your description of Nintendo, this wouldn't happen since the money formed in their eyes. Explain that.

I'm a grown ass man that doesn't need and shouldn't need to buy toy figures that don't interest me to get a full experience of a Video Game

You get the full experience. amiibo just add a small little extra to it (aside from Shovel Knight).

Seriously, I get the complaints for Shovel Knight, I do, but let's not levy the complaint to amiibo as a whole because amiibo has not been used that way.

As someone who has written IAP systems and worked with CDN/DLC I don't see anything here that couldn't be DLC.

I'm listing all use of the amiibo. I'm not going to pick and choose.

Except all the content, aside from Shovel Knight and Splatoon, is minor at best, and yet people are complaining that they're locking content. That's the thing.

Hell, look at Super Mario Maker. The content is free in the game as it is, the amiibo just unlocks it early, but based on your description of Nintendo, this wouldn't happen. Explain that.

You get the full experience. amiibo just add a small little extra to it (aside from Shovel Knight).

Seriously, I get the complaints for Shovel Knight, I do, but let's not levy the complaint to amiibo as a whole because amiibo has not been used that way.

It has though! Nintendo was always great adding content outside of the main game and they still do add it now it's just locked behind a figure... Mini games, extras that were filled with charm and made them seem like they cared about their consumers and fan base a little more... And now it's all locked away behind you figures.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
There's no way the hypothetical "co-op DLC" would be $12.99.

$12.99 is a silly price point for DLC, and the rest of the game is $15. DLC doesn't tend to nearly double the price of the base game.

A standalone DLC version of co-op, if it was paid DLC, would have to be cheaper.

JoeM86

It has though! Nintendo was always great adding content outside of the main game and they still do add it now it's just locked behind a figure... Mini games, extras that were filled with charm and made them seem like they cared about their consumers and fan base a little more... And now it's all locked away behind you figures.

How is it, though? It really isn't.

The games are still full and have a craptonne of extras, all of which are not requiring amiibo to unlock.

Have you even been playing Nintendo games lately, or are you just parroting what others have said?

TheYanger

The games are still full and have a craptonne of extras, all of which are not requiring amiibo to unlock.

Have you even been playing Nintendo games lately, or are you just parroting what others have said?

Holy shit you're trying way too hard. The extra content that is locked behind the amiibo, is locked behind the amiibo. How is that even deniable?

I've got just about every big release game on my WiiU, bought it launch like I do every console. I've got $60 waiting on my Eshop for Mario maker and had been a platinum status on the now gone Club Nintendo for the past 5 years.

But what I will not do is buy toy figures that do not interest me at all to get content for the games I enjoy. I'd pay for it as DLC but I'm not gonna buy toys I do not want on my shelves just to get said extra content. Especially after the fact that the first set of Amiibos were largely reduced in quality and style when originally announced years ago.

I'm sorry you may be ok with what Nintendo does with Amiibos but as a fan of Big N since I got my older brothers sticker riddled NES back in 1991.

edit: and how is it really? Back before Amiibos all this locked content would've just been a part of the $60 experience it's how Nintendo games have always held their value so much and offered so much charm in the main game and extras.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Or I could pay less than $13 for co-op via a digital release that avoids (and in no way requires) the extra costs associated with manufacturing, shipping, and selling a plastic trinket.

JoeM86

I've got just about every big release game on my WiiU, bought it launch like I do every console. I've got $60 waiting on my Eshop for Mario maker and had been a platinum status on the now gone Club Nintendo for the past 5 years.

But what I will not do is buy toy figures that do not interest me at all to get content for the games I enjoy. I'd pay for it as DLC but I'm not gonna buy toys I do not want on my shelves just to get said extra content. Especially after the fact that the first set of Amiibos were largely reduced in quality and style when originally announced years ago.

I'm sorry you may be ok with what Nintendo does with Amiibos but as a fan of Big N since I got my older brothers sticker riddled NES back in 1991.

You're taking it way out of proportion, though.

Holy shit you're trying way too hard. The extra content that is locked behind the amiibo, is locked behind the amiibo. How is that even deniable?

It's not that it's "locked" that I'm arguing against. It's the implication that Nintendo took content that would have been in the game and locked it behind amiibo as opposed to the Nintendo creating small bonuses for the game exclusively for the amiibo.

While Shovel Knight is different here, I just take exception at people claiming this is the entire concept of amiibo. I personally agree and dislike that this much content is locked behind it with Shovel Knight. It's too far, as Splatoon was.

jnWake

Yeah I loved the Mii Costumes in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7. Also it was so fun when I played as Mega Man skinned in Yoshi Story.

To be clear, I dislike meaningful content (like, truly meaningful) content locked behind amiibo but most of the amiibo unlockables are just small extras.

In any case, Shovel Knight amiibo looks so cool. I may buy it and make it join my super small collection (only Ness so far, but I'm trying to find Mega Man and will get Lucas when it comes. Retro pack looks tempting too but no news of it where I live yet).

Looks like a nice figure. The extra content is a bonus, but I don't really see myself playing couch co-op in this game. Heck, even if it were an online mode, it probably wouldn't see much use.

I just think it's a nice figure. I'll buy it on that merit alone. Any extras that come with it are icing on an already sweet cake.

I'm also curious about how many people would actually use the co-op mode? It seems that quite a few of you are upset, but does it really affect you?

I love collecting Amiibos, but anything no matter how big or minor, is still locked behind amiibo. The game isn't complete without it from someone who likes to 100% games. Its scummy as hell.

Zalman

In my case, I'd buy the figurine even if it didn't unlock any content. I just like the way it looks. The functionality is secondary. However, there definitely should be an option for people to buy the co-op mode digitally if they don't want to buy a figurine.

You're taking it way out of proportion, though.

Hardly, don't even act like some Amiibo content isn't cut content. Tell me with a game like Hyrule Warriors being so true and loyal to the series do you think they would've not had the spinner weapon part of the game...

All the content that Amiibos unlock is content that is on disc... Even for unreleased Amiibos content is on game discs because they plan for it to be there. This stuff doesn't just magically appear when an Amiibo is made... Nintendo is a business and they are pulling a Capcom with on disc DLC and doing one much worse by making you buy something physical to unlock it. Especially when they create shortages and are full aware of the a scalper situation... Get real dude.

JoeM86

Hardly, don't even act like some Amiibo content isn't cut content. Tell me with a game like Hyrule Warriors being so true and loyal to the series do you think they would've not had the spinner weapon part of the game...

All the content that Amiibos unlock is content that is on disc... Even for unreleased Amiibos content is on game discs because they plan for it to be there. This stuff doesn't just magically appear when an Amiibo is made... Nintendo is a business and they are pulling a Capcom with on disc DLC and doing one much worse by making you buy something physical to unlock it. Especially when they create shortages and are full aware of the a scalper situation... Get real dude.

So, how would you do amiibo then? Since it being on disc is so egregious? Have the amiibo add the content to the game? Not possible with NFC technology. So, do tell.

They also don't "create" shortages. That's just completely ridiculous and conspiracy theorist.

I love collecting Amiibos, but anything no matter how big or minor, is still locked behind amiibo. The game isn't complete without it from someone who likes to 100% games. Its scummy as hell.

The games are almost always 100% without the amiibo. The amiibo content is almost always just a minor little extra.

tbd

That was deeply unfunny I must say.

Wonder if Nintendo knows this Youtube celeb spreads the idea OoT is shit because he can't avoid getting hit by spikes and rocks and sometimes has to wait for an opening (how do people make it through MGS or turn-based games?).

So, how would you do amiibo then? Since it being on disc is so egregious? Have the amiibo add the content to the game? Not possible with NFC technology. So, do tell.

They also don't "create" shortages. That's just completely ridiculous and conspiracy theorist.

It's hardly a conspiracy they know the demand of Amiibos and don't make enough for it. When the general public cant even preorder them reliably then yes that's a clear indication...

it'd be nice to release the Amiibo cards they hinted at so long ago so people that didn't want toys could at least meet them in the middle and have some way to unlock this content but instead we got 100 animal crossing ones in the works. It's all a plan dude. I'm sorry that you don't see it.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
Wonder if Nintendo knows this Youtube celeb spreads the idea OoT is shit because he can't avoid getting hit by spikes and rocks and sometimes has to wait for an opening (how do people make it through MGS or turn-based games?).
And we can't be allowing people to have different opinions on video games, now can we? That'd be sheer anarchy, if somebody might not like a video game that's popular.

I find Amiibo-locked content to be ridiculous. This is what gaming is slowly becoming. Between all the day one DLC, on disc DLC, pre order bonuses from fifteen different stores, F2P games with unfair micro transactions. Every year I become much more selective with the games I buy. The list of "must have" titles gets increasingly smaller each generation.

I will sadly buy this because I love Shovel Knight and really want all the content. Hopefully I can get one for the MSRP.

Sandfox

It's hardly a conspiracy they know the demand of Amiibos and don't make enough for it. When the general public cant even preorder them reliably then yes that's a clear indication...

it'd be nice to release the Amiibo cards they hinted at so long ago so people that didn't want toys could at least meet them in the middle and have some way to unlock this content but instead we got 100 animal crossing ones in the works. It's all a plan dude. I'm sorry that you don't see it.

This is most definitely a conspiracy theory lol.

This is most definitely a conspiracy theory lol.

Explain to me how? When the entire point of preordering something for the company releasing the product is to know the demand of the item they are going to be releasing but still short handing the supply?

That's the entire point of preorders!

Does Call of Duty get how ever many... Let's say 5 million preorders and then cap it at a million?

No but this has happened quite a bit with Amiibos.

JoeM86

There are no issues in Europe or Japan anymore. You can walk into a store and buy practically any amiibo. Nintendo UK store put up the September wave 2 days ago, you can still go pre-order and will be guaranteed one on launch day. GAME and ShopTo are still taking pre-orders, too

I'm sorry the situation is bad in America still, but let's not pretend Nintendo are making issues. It's absolutely a conspiracy theory.

TheYanger

I'm not a fan of certain content being Amiibo exclusive, but by this logic every game with DLC are released incomplete.

Yes, and that's why everyone always says 'why couldn't it just be dlc?" - the issue is the amiibos not that something isn't in the base game in the first place.

I gotta agree with Joe here. While most of what Amiibo offers can be offered as DLC, I think Joe is right when he says most of the content would not exist without Amiibo. Now, while examples like Splatoon and now Shovel Knight are turning Amiibo into something I really don't like, you can't tell me things like Marth Yoshi and Marth in Codename STEAM would exist without a Marth Amiibo.

I definitely think Nintendo should offer the content at reduced prices as standalone DLC for those who are opposed to buying Amiibo.

Roo

Wish they offered the content locked behind amiibo as DLC for games that make actually sense.
Want those Mii Suits from Mario Kart 8? sure, $3 for the entire set.
Want those special boards from Mario Party 10? here, $4 the entire set
All the Yoshi customs for Woolly World? $4

etc, etc.

So, how would you do amiibo then? Since it being on disc is so egregious? Have the amiibo add the content to the game?
Or ya know..just have any Mii Raing Suit, Yarn Skin, or Party board be in the game as unlockables. Like ya know, every other game. And don't bring "but a Mii racing suit of Pac-Man would never get added in unless it had amiibo!" it may be true, but you still need a figure. Years from now these contents will be lost without certain figures.

The games are almost always 100% without the amiibo. The amiibo content is almost always just a minor little extra.
Exactly. They are not 100% without Amiibos, no mater how minor. But I'm not going to get into this argument. Because I know you'll never see it any other way but yours.

JoeM86

I gotta agree with Joe here. While most of what Amiibo offers can be offered as DLC, I think Joe is right when he says most of the content would not exist without Amiibo. Now, while examples like Splatoon and now Shovel Knight are turning Amiibo into something I really don't like, you can't tell me things like Marth Yoshi and Marth in Codename STEAM would exist without a Marth Amiibo.

I definitely think Nintendo should offer the content at reduced prices as standalone DLC for those who are opposed to buying Amiibo.

I think Nintendo learned from the small backlash about Splatoon's amiibo locking decent content out, and that's why the amiibo content in Super Mario Maker has become something you can get without the amiibo.

Top Bottom