• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 screenshots ['Blue Team' campaign mission]

etta

my hard graphic balls
This is so true.

We still don't know the scope of this game. Yet many are seemingly fixated with graphics at this point.

Let's wait until the game is in our hands and we have seen the full spectacle before ripping the graphics.

The sad thing is that it could be a fantastic game, and half the people will probably still be stuck on "underwhelming" graphics.

Kalentan

The sad thing is is that it could be a fantastic game, and half the people will probably still be stuck on "underwhelming" graphics.

Honestly when they say it looks: "Flat" or "Crowded" and I just don't get it. I think it looks great.

Madness

The sad thing is is that it could be a fantastic game, and half the people will probably still be stuck on "underwhelming" graphics.

I tend to think once the game is in hand and we see the level of visual fidelity afforded by Xbox One over Xbox 360, 60fps or close for campaign and multi-player, they'll be believers. It's very similar to how Halo 3 hype was.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I tend to think once the game is in hand and we see the level of visual fidelity afforded by Xbox One over Xbox 360, 60fps or close for campaign and multi-player, they'll be believers. It's very similar to how Halo 3 hype was.
I hope so. I wonder when the Microsoft PR machine will go full blown with their ad campaigns for this game, I want an ad to match the quality of Halo 3's Starry Night or that figurines one.
The beta was so refreshing from a shooter perspective, I hope this will make the waves worthy of a Halo title.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I really like the art direction they went with. Looks great. I really hope I can use the Xim4 near launch. Playing Halo 4 with the kb/m was so much better than the controller.

Mik2121

Really enjoy many of the designs, but there's something about the placement of assets as well as the lighting that bothers me a lot. Weird because Halo 4 had some really amazing light, and it didn't feel overly cluttered like what's going on in here.

Still my only reason to buy an xbox one this year.

Agreed.

Look what 343 was able to do on the 360 with Halo 4. I'm confident that with Halo 5 we're going to see the Xbox One pushed to its limits more than its been so far in terms of both graphics and scope. It's also gonna be chocked-full of content. Campaign, the Arena, Warzone, Customs, Forge, Theatre, free maps, maybe more.

Oh they'll believe alright.

Bry0

I'm sure it will be a good game, and I will get it.
But as others have mentioned, those environments are kind of bland.
The colors, shapes, and the space background all appear to be from the modern sci-fi chop shop.
When a franchise is passed over to a new developer, its really difficult to adjust to it. Especially when there is an art style shift like this.
Partly attachment to the old games as well.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Most of it is rewritten from the ground up, with some legacy stuff at the core. It's basically a new engine.

Can you say if there are any snow levels, Frank? I always loved playing Snowbound in Halo 3 on Christmas mornings. Same for Derail in Modern Warfare 2. Such good maps.

Destiny is also 30 fps versus this games' 60 fps.

And how does it even look flat??

I think the lighting captures that sci-fi atmosphere really well.

I have the feeling next month IGN First is Halo 5..

I think you might be right. Though you would think 343i would want to show it off when it's near release-level polish, so if not September it will be October.

As for Destiny comparisons, IQ aside, I actually think H5:G looks better than Destiny in what we've seen of campaign and some of the confined arena maps (visuals don't seem quite as impressive on the big Warzone maps we've seen).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
man just with that one vague post, everyone is getting hyped. I can't resist even if I want to lmao

need that halo fix, give us anything please lol

Halo 3 and Reach were ugly games.

I went through Halo 4 recently, thought it looked beautiful and wanted more. So I went back to ODST because I thought it sounded interesting. That game has not aged well at all. So I skipped over to Reach, played through it this week - and it looked good. Nothing ugly about it, it still holds up fine. In fact, it might be my favourite game in the series on balance.

But I also had a blast with 4, so what do I know.

Most of it is rewritten from the ground up, with some legacy stuff at the core. It's basically a new engine.

I'd love to get a vidoc or something similiar talking about the tech (poly count, lighting, draw distance, etc). Those are always really fascinating to watch and see how the games expand from their past iteration.

Monocle

I went through Halo 4 recently, thought it looked beautiful and wanted more. So I went back to ODST because I thought it sounded interesting. That game has not aged well at all. So I skipped over to Reach, played through it this week - and it looked good. Nothing ugly about it, it still holds up fine. In fact, it might be my favourite game in the series on balance.

But I also had a blast with 4, so what do I know.
If you've never actually finished ODST before, you made a mistake. Second best campaign in the series, easily.

Madness

I'd love to get a vidoc or something similiar talking about the tech (poly count, lighting, draw distance, etc). Those are always really fascinating to watch and see how the games expand from their past iteration.

Same. Love watching Sprints for this very reason because they really get into the minutiae of games building and show things we don't even spend a second thinking about, but it caused a team of like 5-10 people issues for a while. I love seeing just what goes into the art, animation, sound design of games. How the levels are designed, what they hope to achieve.

I think having another vidoc just showing the massive change in textures, lighting, poly count, how 60fps impacts the game will really show people they aren't half-assing it with this game but it's really got the potential to the first transformative Halo title in a long time.

scoobs

There were some good things in Halo 4's story that gives me hope for 5 (pretty much cortana, and the rest was meh but still). I'm seriously hoping they can find a way to make the squad mates and other story characters interesting. If they fuck that up its going to be a disaster.

Bungie's games probably only had a simple look because of the hardware limitations. I prefer 343's design, they're more fleshed out.

As I said, it's definitely more than just that. When you look at the Forerunner stuff Bungie did in Reach in 2010 vs the Forerunner stuff 343 did in CEA in 2011, it's clear that it's just a completely different art style. I don't mind 343's that much, but I preferred Bungie's.

Akai__

My guess is marketing will finally kick in. #HuntTheTruth Season 2 will also start in September, so it could be that. Would fit the "hype level 4/10".

Somebody should do an OT for Season 2, when it starts. This time with an up to date OT.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

and music/sound effect.

Top Bottom