• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Custom Boxart Covers

chefbags

fj1ACoLh.jpg

Printed at staples

How'd you get to print it at staples? Like what did you tell them exactly?

Moss

I was asked to design some box art for this game but I felt I would have done a shitty job so I declined.

robotrock

Banned
I was asked to design some box art for this game but I felt I would have done a shitty job so I declined.

I assure you it would have been better than the CG render box art we got!

I don't know why they don't just ask that Shinkawa guy.

Tekniqs

How'd you get to print it at staples? Like what did you tell them exactly?

i actually just did it online. Uploaded it to staples printing...11x8.75, pick the paper (60lb stock glossy), and ordered. Picked it up later on at the store. There's options like cutting/holes/etc..just make sure they're set to "no". It should be automatically set at 'no' but just make sure.

chefbags

i actually just did it online. Uploaded it to staples printing...11x8.75, pick the paper (60lb stock glossy), and ordered. Picked it up later on at the store. There's options like cutting/holes/etc..just make sure they're set to "no". It should be automatically set at 'no' but just make sure.

Oh damn that's cool. What file did you upload online? Could you link me to this file if possible? Thanks!

Oh damn that's cool. What file did you upload online? Could you link me to this file if possible? Thanks!

I would guess they just used the one linked to in the first post :)
- Can I print this on my own? I have the best printer and paper in the world!
-- Yes you can. Please click here to find wallpapers, steam icons and pdf files for printing or framing purposes: http://www.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-PHANTOM-PAIN-Shinkawa-Cover-Fan-Made-546249708

Moreche

I have uploaded the imageto Dropbox but the image compresses and the quality suffers.
What cloud service offers an uncompressed image?
Thanks.

It's impossible to find anywhere in the UK online that will print these in terms of choosing the paper and the size.
If anyone can suggest somewhere then please let me know.

Also, would love to have a link to the Ground Zeroes Shinkawa art to complete the set.

Using the PDF template in the OP, and just touching a few things up, here's a hi-res version with the banners in place.

EDIT: Re-uploaded a version without the surrounding grey border. Didn't notice it in the original PDF.

Awesome, been wanting a version with the banner. Just ordered two copies to be printed out at staples. Hopefully all goes well!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. Hard to improve upon such a recognizable and brilliant style.

Yep, his art style is synonymous to Metal Gear.

I still love your style, though, Olly.

O.N.U.S.

Neo Member
Using the PDF template in the OP, and just touching a few things up, here's a hi-res version with the banners in place.

EDIT: Re-uploaded a version without the surrounding grey border. Didn't notice it in the original PDF.

lol and i saw this right after i printed the original at staples. Looks like Im gonna print this one instead. Gotta make a trip back

What kind of print job at staples did you use? Was it normal "Copies"?

chefbags

Ohh yes this is what I wanted. Thanks!

Thanks, did you have to give them special instructions to crop the covers? Or did you do it yourself?

edit: did you use 8.5x11 60lb matte or 80lb glossy?

8.5 x 11 60lb in landscape

And it won't be ready till tomorrow, but I have a straight trimmer so im most likely gonna do it myself unless they'll do it for me.

8.5 x 11 60lb in landscape

And it won't be ready till tomorrow, but I have a straight trimmer so im most likely gonna do it myself unless they'll do it for me.

Thanks for the help, placed my order. I put a note in to have them trim the edges, if they don't I think they may have paper cutters at the store too. I couldn't decide between

and

So I decided to print both and a 3rd one with one on each side. Curious how it'll come out

parm09

Neo Member
Just got done. I like this, although the banner for ps4 seems to be a lil darker than my others.

I'm getting the same result when I upload it to Staples. The colors are off. The red is too dark. It looks fine when you view the .png file on your pc.

SfGtZpB.png

b2M1Bm8.png

webkatt

I did a little edit to the one in OP. I kinda smudged the ink a little as I did it at home using photo paper and a inkjet. I decided to include the back part because I like that.

Haters gonna hate because it ruins the minimalist look?

O.N.U.S.

Neo Member
I did a little edit to the one in OP. I kinda smudged the ink a little as I did it at home using photo paper and a inkjet. I decided to include the back part because I like that.

Haters gonna hate because it ruins the minimalist look?

Wow that looks Offical! Nice job. Would it be possible for you to upload that one? I'd like to use it as well.

SOLDIER

So what are the exact steps to printing your own PS4 cover? What kind of paper do you need, what are the required measurements? How much would it cost to do at Staples? Is it cheaper to do it with your own printer?

nib95

Banned
Just got done. I like this, although the banner for ps4 seems to be a lil darker than my others.

Might be the PNG being RGB whilst Staples prints CMYK or something similar. I'm away for the weekend, but when I get back I'll sort it out so it'll print properly. In the mean time, does anyone know if Staples requires CMYK or RGB for printing?

Mathi

Woah, where did you get this done? How Much?
I use Posterjack for all my canvas prints and posters. With their 10 year anniversary discount I think I paid about 33€. But I imagine international shipping would be very expensive, so unless you live in Germany there should be cheaper options for you.

Just saw this, and wow. Can I ask where you found your source image for this?
I just converted the pdf file from the OT into a jpg ;)

Downloaded the PDF and am going to print one off for myself. Thanks to all involved! Finally gonna have a USA MGS with some good Shinkawa art on it!

Made some changes to the one posted in OP.

Scanned my copy of GZs boxart and used OP template. Added some red to "V" to make it stick out more.

Wow, those look so much better than the official stuff. Anyone on here have the GZ cover with the PS4 banner to download?!

I tried having some printed at my local staples, they called me after I submitted the order online, they said they can't print anything copyrighted :/

webkatt

Soooooooo, here is my final edit.

I wanted to make it look minimalist yet official.

I edited the out the extra fox engine logo near the konami logo, fixed the bottom border near the UPC (that I screwed up prior), added the text from the official art (Used a similar font but not exactly the same but stylistically it is very similar), and moved some of the logos around. I'm pretty happy with it. Minus my horrible scissor cut job.

I did notice that the template from the OP is slightly smaller that the standard insert but, whatever!

I totally didn't have to edit out a bunch of drunken typos....

Top Bottom