• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's that Endeavor pricing - better than some people were expecting:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/286195/endeavor-pricing#latest

Hey guys! I'm sorry for the delay on Endeavor pricing. Note that we do not have a release date for the ship yet; we're putting together the final assets and it could be as soon as Friday... but there's also a significant chance the show and sale would kick off next week instead.

The pricing that we have at the moment is as follows:

- Base Endeavor (Standard Labs Attached) - $425
- Base Hope (Hospital Layout) - $450
- Base Endeavor (No Pods) - $350

There will be additional 'choose your own' pods available for different jobs, and we'll go into a LOT of detail as to exactly what those are. Expect everything from bio-domes to linear accelerators! Please discuss here; keep in mind that this is a BIG ship with a lot to do in the 'Verse... 200 meters puts it at almost the length of an Idris.

So yeah, I'll switch my Orion over to that whenever the sale starts. (Standard labs version)

Zalusithix

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Think I'll be keeping the Orion myself. Half to make sure that there's one still in the Org, and half because the Endeavor's design just doesn't quite resonate with me - at least with the renders we've been provided.

The Endeavor's actually more my style, so that works out well.

Awesome interview with forrest stephan today on AtV talking about character tech. I think we will be thoroughly happy at their fidelity at citizencon :D

Derek Smart has reported that several of CIG employees were laid off.. Lots of info but I'm not sure how much of it is real.

Sources are telling me that Sandi, wife of Chris Roberts, is pointing fingers and publicly blaming people in the office for leaking the letter. A letter which isn't even company property btw. As the story goes, she called two of them "fuckers" in front of their co-workers. And as the word goes, it may have been during that altercation that two people turned in their key cards and immediately walked out.

As it stands, two have quit.

Lisa Ohanian (Ship Shape), gave 2 week notice.

Paul Forgy, quit on the spot - and walked out.

Alyssa Delhotal and James Pugh were reportedly fired under suspicion of leaking information to me. Since I don't know ANY of the above people, it's patently false.

It gets worse...

Meanwhile 9 people in Austin were informed that their jobs are being eliminated in October.

Also, sources tell me that they are hovering around $8 (!) million in cash right now and still burning around $3.5m (!) per month. Which is why they are now initiating immediate downsizing company wide. Quietly. They are hoping that upcoming sales go well to tide them over in the short term.

More seen here
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snh7pg

Shy

Edit: Seems like Alyssa Delhotal and James Pugh are gone, so who knows, might well be all true. It doesn't seem implausible anyway.
cJkNMCd.gif

Sijil

We'll know in a week or two I guess :p

Edit: Seems like Alyssa Delhotal and James Pugh are gone, so who knows, might well be all true. It doesn't seem implausible anyway.

Their reasons for departure aside, which we might never know about, their position at CIG, community manager and marketing producer, doesn't seem to affect game production in the least.

it seems like Derek Smart knows a thing or two about whats going on at the company.

Shouldn't he be more concerned with his own game?

Their reasons for departure aside, which we might never know about, their position at CIG, community manager and marketing producer, doesn't seem to affect game production in the least.

Shouldn't he be more concerned with his own game?

nothing is wrong about what hes doing.. the employees at CIG is leaking information to him and hes doing us all a favor by shining a light on it.

Kabouter

Two people in similar functions, leaving at the same time, and he knew about it in advance. That doesn't give any credibility to the rest of his story to you?

Sijil

nothing is wrong about what hes doing.. the employees at CIG is leaking information to him and hes doing us all a favor by shining a light on it.

Derek has shown malicious intent, buying into SC only as a means to promote his failure of a game, and after all his repeated failures to actually make a serviceable product throughout the years, his tantrums, backlashes, megalomania and outright hostility to anyone who tried to offer any sort of criticism, he's the last person I would trust to do me any favors, no one even asked him to do so in the first place.

He has become obsessively dedicated towards bashing SC instead of actually fixing his game which is on Steam with actual payed customers. That alone, his shameful history notwithstanding, is enough to discredit him.

Two people in similar functions, leaving at the same time, and he knew about it in advance. That doesn't give any credibility to the rest of his story to you?

He also said Lisa left, she's still with CIG.

http://imgur.com/a/4Mznn

Any information from that man concerning SC has literally zero reason to be believed.

Anyone could post anything about the games development claiming to have "sources", why would you believe DS of all people?

the information on who exactly left was spot on and it was posted on DS blog about 14 hours ago.

the reactions of the people fired was posted on twitter 10 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/jamespugh?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://twitter.com/AlyssaDelo/status/647171872669302784

its being talked about right now because of him.

the information on who exactly left was spot on and it was posted on DS blog about 14 hours ago.

the reactions of the people fired was posted on twitter 10 hours ago.

https://twitter.com/jamespugh?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://twitter.com/AlyssaDelo/status/647171872669302784
I have a feeling DS is using the information he was given and twisting and dramatising it. Just because the info of two staff members leaving was true, doesn't mean it's a bad thing for development of the game. Especially the way he's making it seem.

If you remove speculation what do we have? Two staff members have left.

I don't see a reason to be concerned.

Pafnucy

Omg 2 people got fired, STAR CITIZEN IS DEAD!

Gee, you really must want to see this project fail mercenar1e...

I don't care what Derek Smart say, I will wait for some creditable sources.

So much drama around the game and the studio, Christ... Do you folks think this is the other side of the crowd funding + open development coin? I can't think of any development that has been so constantly controversial.

While he might be somewhat right in this case if some people have been fired, a lot of the things he has said seem to be either wrong or not entirely true. It looks like he's doing it to cause trouble and to try to promote his own game, i think he's even said something about how his game has the features of Star Citizen.

He also seems to know very little about the game itself - he's said several times that RSI is the developer and said some things that suggests he thinks the FPS and social modules aren't important. I believe CiG have also mentioned that he hasn't even downloaded the game at any point, even though he was going on about how there is no game and it will never be made. He's also said the recent multi-crew ship demo somehow supports what he's saying in about there being no game.

There doesn't actually seem to be anything to be concerned about but he keeps posting bad things about the game anyway, and i don't think he's actually posted evidence (at least not that i've seen) for his claims. It's as if he has some sort of personal vendetta with Star Citizen and is trying to do whatever he can to make the game look bad.

ultrazilla

Merc- I posted about this yesterday (earlier) and got
nothing but hate. They can't possibly grasp Smart
is most likely right about this.

Sijil

His testimony is sullied and injured, if someone else presented this I would've considered looking at it, but given it's Smart with his history of scamming people then no thanks.

epmode

Dr. Derek Smart is the least credible person on the internet. His SC rants are little more than gossip.

He might be right (since any project has the potential for failure) but there's no proof besides a few people bailing/being fired which happens on any project. It seems like a bigger deal here since the CIG employees are so visible thanks to the community interaction.

Froschi

This is Derek Smart we're talking about. He could be pointing at the sky and saying it's blue and I wouldn't believe a single word of it. This pathetic bag of hot air has no credibility whatsoever. He's worked hard for the last 20 years on bringing this upon himself.

The fact that intelligent people who really should know better are actually paying attention to what this goof is rambling about is the saddest part of it all.

Zalusithix

The chances of anybody from CIG leaking stuff to DS seems relatively low. Why choose the least reputable and most biased source to get news out? You'd have to be one hell of a disgruntled employee to use him as your mouthpiece, in which case there's a high possibility of the news being skewed to fit the employee's take on the matter. I suppose there's also the possibility that DS could get news from a more reputable source that he has connections with and go ahead "publishing" it before the other place got around to verification. Any way you slice it though, if DS got inside knowledge of SC, you can be assured that he'd spin it to be as negative as possible. Anything that didn't fit his narrative of SC being a failure would be left out and anything that made his case seem stronger would be emphasized.

That said, lets assume it all is true. Two people fired in such a large company and disputes between them isn't exactly surprising. Stuff like that happens all the time in virtually every large company. Then there's the funds aspect. 8 million with their current alleged burn wouldn't give them much time, but I can't help but point to the flip side of that: that's still more than most crowd funded games have total from the very beginning. With correct management of the situation it would hardly be the end of the world.

SnowTeeth

Banned

Oh Jesus. So if DipShit is wrong about this and the PU and SQ42 is released and playable in full, does that mean the world can then once and for all ignore everything that he has to say from that point forth? I mean like, forever? I know who I have my money on... (all $125 of it you conspiritards)

Sijil

The chances of anybody from CIG leaking stuff to DS seems relatively low. Why choose the least reputable and most biased source to get news out? You'd have to be one hell of a disgruntled employee to use him as your mouthpiece, in which case there's a high possibility of the news being skewed to fit the employee's take on the matter. I suppose there's also the possibility that DS could get news from a more reputable source that he has connections with and go ahead "publishing" it before the other place got around to verification. Any way you slice it though, if DS got inside knowledge of SC, you can be assured that he'd spin it to be as negative as possible. Anything that didn't fit his narrative of SC being a failure would be left out and anything that made his case seem stronger would be emphasized.

That said, lets assume it all is true. Two people fired in such a large company and disputes between them isn't exactly surprising. Stuff like that happens all the time in virtually every large company. Then there's the funds aspect. 8 million with their current alleged burn wouldn't give them much time, but I can't help but point to the flip side of that: that's still more than most crowd funded games have total from the very beginning. With correct management of the situation it would hardly be the end of the world.

Good point, if anyone at CIG wants to leak stuff and with all the eyes on SC and all the news site waiting for a good scoop they could've leaked it to IGN, Destructoid, PC Gamer, Gamespot, EDGE or any of the myriad of gaming news sites waiting for a meaty story, why of all people choose one of the most hated persons in the Space sim community is beyond me.

NeoFaff

Wasn't there talk of two members of the CS team leaving a month or two ago? I think it was one of the forum community managers and his wife in customer services.

Is it the same people? Am I imagining things? :l

Yeah, absolutely. Given the slowed rate of funding and the size of the studio, it wouldn't surprise me if he's entirely right on their financial position.

State of funding being what exactly? A two month dip due to the lack of FPS module does not seem too bad to me... The funding is back up to pre-Fps delay levels...
Wasn't there talk of two members of the CS team leaving a month or two ago? I think it was one of the forum community managers and his wife in customer services.

Is it the same people? Am I imagining things? :l

Will... something or another left for some other game and his to be wife / and CS crew member left with him I believe. Nothing of note, and completely normal. Amicable parting terms. Also, it has nothing to do with the game development.

NeoFaff

Will... something or another left for some other game and his to be wife / and CS crew member left with him I believe. Nothing of note, and completely normal. Amicable parting terms. Also, it has nothing to do with the game development.
I'm not worried about the game or anything, just that my first thought about the recent tweets was like "this is old news". I was super confused :p

So I got TAA working: i am still messing with the variables though and I am not completely sure which ones work in their version of cryengine as of yet. But here are the screenshots to show how it works. Here I am moving from right to left in the hangar (which has crazy white popping pixels and flickering in it). Taken @ 30fps with motionblur off:

Default AA
vlcsnap-2015-09-25-18nik6n.png

TAA through .ini
vlcsnap-2015-09-25-181akh3.png

I recommend opening two tabs with the images and flicking between them.

What one should notice is tha the TAA'd image is softer and a number of pure whites have been toned down. This does not get rid of every rogue pixel though... I think you need some texture filter for the specular or a Gbuffer filter for that kind of stuff.

The user.cfg file in my C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public folder is as follows (though with motionblur on here):
Code:
r_VSync = 1
r_MotionBlur = 2
r_MotionBlurQuality = 2
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist = 1000
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed = 9
r_MotionBlurThreshold = 0.0001
r_AntialiasingMode = 2
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffHiFreq = 16
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffLowFreq = 16
r_AntialiasingTAAMode = 4
r_AntialiasingTAASharpening = 0
r_ShadowBlur = 3

The fall off is set to be really high as you can tell, but that can easily be adjusted (default in CE for TAA is high @ 6 and low @ 2.. not 16 for both). That would most likely increase the amout of softness rather heavily hence the stark difference you see in the pictures. I have yet to play with them to see how and what works_ low frequency though should definitely not be so high... this was mainly to test.

As of now though... it is working and it definitely helps flickering in motion.

Effect

Finally got my refund approved. Only took over a month and several emails back and forth though. Now I just have to wait for it appear in my paypal account (yeah annoyed about that one). So hopefully I do get the money back.

Still looking forward to following the game's development and might even repurchase if things significantly improve (Talking about a year or more from now. Learned my lesson.) but right now I'd rather have my $50 back ( as well as the install space too).

Edit: Wow at what was posted above if any of that is true.

And when Derek Smart finally cashes his check, it will be $7,999,700

they have much more money than that, they are hiring like 30 new positions

I'm pretty sure they have not spent more then half maybe not even that. They aren't really begging for money anymore. It's a afterthought at this point.

Finally got my refund approved. Only took over a month and several emails back and forth though. Now I just have to wait for it appear in my paypal account (yeah annoyed about that one). So hopefully I do get the money back.

Still looking forward to following the game's development and might even repurchase if things significantly improve (Talking about a year or more from now. Learned my lesson.) but right now I'd rather have my $50 back ( as well as the install space too).

Edit: Wow at what was posted above if any of that is true.

I hate this attitude. It just completely breaks the idea of crowdfunding.

Zabojnik

I, for one, always believed in Derek Smart.

Reminds me of the people leaving the Austin office drama. Only then they were people who had actually worked on the game in some fashion or another. So, yeah. Doesn't seem like a big deal, although I'm sad to see James go. I liked his interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom