• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP:Tactics Ogre: PSP... I am overwhelmed!!

Ohnonono

So this game seems to be exactly the sort of game I want to play right now. The story and tone seems amazing. My only issue is that whatever gameplay systems are going on with characters leveling up, how to make a party that will not completely be terrible makes the game nearly unplayable. I have gotten into I think chapter 2 of the game and hit a seemingly normal fight where I need to kill a character and I seem to do between 1 and 10 damage to him at a time and his health is about 150.

I have never figured out how to make magic users learn spells (except for healers, I seem to have that covered.) I hear a lot about how you can break this game and if you can do that I am sure you can make a fun balanced party but holy shit I am really failing here.

I can't seem to find a guide that just talks about the basics of setting up a starting party and not making big mistakes that lead to you being super under powered.

GAF HELP! I know some of you fine folks have beaten this game into the ground! Lend me your knowledge so I can see this amazing (so far) story!

I also found the battles in this game exceedingly tedious. I never felt like I was doing more than slowly chipping away at my enemies.

Playing XCOM, where it only takes a shot or two to kill an enemy, completely ruined me for this game.

JimPanzer

make canopus a archer, problem solved.

I've put over 300 hours into the game, but that was a long time ago. I remember having problems at the beginning too, but you can always just grind.

Have you figured out how craftings works? It's extremely incovenient to use, but the items make a huge difference.

Try to stay passive at the beginning, let the enemy come at you rather than you approaching the enemy.

Like most tactics games the game falls into the trap of being to hard at the beginning and much to easy at the end.

Other than that, make Canopus a archer ;)

Bolivar687

Banned
Calm down! First of all, I'm surprised you made it to Chapter 2 but still aren't sure how to make a starting party. In big fights for 12 members I typically take 2 sybil/clerics, 2 mages, 2 archers (OP in this game) and then I'll take melee according to the fight.

Are you trying magic damage on that boss? A lot of enemies will have high defense where you'll only be able to do a little bit but magic might make a difference. Alternatively, save for your finishing moves and dump those on him.

As far as learning spells, I think you just buy then from a shop and then learn them in the menu? You need to learn the skill for that type of magic first though.

Aeana

So this game seems to be exactly the sort of game I want to play right now. The story and tone seems amazing. My only issue is that whatever gameplay systems are going on with characters leveling up, how to make a party that will not completely be terrible makes the game nearly unplayable. I have gotten into I think chapter 2 of the game and hit a seemingly normal fight where I need to kill a character and I seem to do between 1 and 10 damage to him at a time and his health is about 150.

I have never figured out how to make magic users learn spells (except for healers, I seem to have that covered.) I hear a lot about how you can break this game and if you can do that I am sure you can make a fun balanced party but holy shit I am really failing here.

I can't seem to find a guide that just talks about the basics of setting up a starting party and not making big mistakes that lead to you being super under powered.

GAF HELP! I know some of you fine folks have beaten this game into the ground! Lend me your knowledge so I can see this amazing (so far) story!

First, to learn spells, you need to buy scrolls from stores and teach them to your characters, provided they've learned the skill for that magic type. Next, don't ignore the game's skill system. The skills are very, very useful! For instance, in the early game, truestrike/trueflight will serve you well, until you get better accuracy. Third, change Denam away from warrior ASAP. Really. It's just not very good.

JimPanzer

I love this game.

But the amount of grinding involved.... insane !

It's really not that bad for the main story. Post-game is a monster though. Having done not even a third of the post-game content after 300 hours is quite discouraging.

Ohnonono

Canopus is an archer already. He seems to be the most effective member for sure. I will check on the magic stuff again because that sounds like it could be the way to "crack" some of the bosses. I think I have a couple of classes I picked because I like them in theory but maybe they suck right now. Sounds like my party comp is fine but maybe I just have not done enough so skill/equip them properly.

I did beat a seemingly notorious fight against a necromancer on a hill that people seem to have issue with and did not have too much of a problem. It is only recently that things seem to have become untenable.

Keep the advice rolling!

make everyone a archer, problem solved.
:)

Seriously though, while Archers aren't godlike as in the SFC version, they're still extremely solid. My party mostly consisted of ninjas and archers, and that was good enough to complete the story.

Kinda lost interest when I discovered new game+ employs level-scaling. I made a LOT of bad decisions in the story and just wanted to rectify everything. Evenly-matched battles tend to take a bit too long for my tastes though.

Nohar

This game needs some gameplay/gamedesign tweaks to make it really enjoyable to play. The crafting system in particular is one of the bigger turn-off, and the hunt for the rare recipes is ridiculous (RNG at its finest). That's really annoying, since the game has so many good things for him, but they had to ruin it with some really dumb decisions.

Aeana

:)

Seriously though, while Archers aren't godlike as in the SFC version, they're still extremely solid. My party mostly consisted of ninjas and archers, and that was good enough to complete the story.

Kinda lost interest when I discovered new game+ employs level-scaling. I made a LOT of bad decisions in the story and just wanted to rectify everything. Evenly-matched battles tend to take a bit too long for my tastes though.

You can run into the level scaling any time if you grind too much. i.e. if you're 10 levels or more above (usually) then the enemies scale up. This comes up more often when using WORLD though. It's why I recommend against just trying to grind in this game to bypass walls you're up against, because it's gonna work against you if you go too far.

fedexpeon

Banned
I remember most of my OP units were archer.
Add in Canopus+flying unit as archer...literally SEAL sniper.
Go behind wall and snipe everything, cleric/mages die so fast.

Then add in Ninja to abuse their movement stats because movement/speed are king.
By the time archers+ninja clearing up the map, Denam will finally arrive.

pastrami

Magic users learn spells the same way healers do. Just use a grimoire, and they will learn the spell. Of course, you have to be the appropriate level, and have the corresponding magic skill unlocked and assigned. So if I wanted to learn Lightning Bow, I would have the unit learn the Lightning Magic skill, assign that skill to one of the units skill slots, and then either go into the menus and use the Grimoire Foudarc to learn the spell, or use it during a battle.

As for party composition, others can probably speak to optimizations. I try to keep all my classes at a similar level, so I often go into battles with probably less than ideal compositions. Im replaying the game, and I'm just beginning chapter 2. I'm rolling with a warrior, priest, beast tamer, wizard, rune fencer, vartan, 2 clerics, 2 archers, and an octopus I tamed.

I'll repeat the advice I gave in another thread. Note: it is a bit slantes towards a completiinist mind set.

Love this game. Spent hundreds of hours on it.

Some pointers:

Some skills level up as you use them. You should try to learn these skills as quickly as possible and start levelling them up as early as possible. Most important are weapon skills and the augment element skills. Weapon skills level up every time the character use a weapon of that class in battle. Element skills level up every time the character uses that element in battle (either magic or elemental weapons). So make sure that your characters start specializing in different weapon classes and elements as early as possible. Limit each meelee character to one weapon class, and each mage to one element. Also, I'd recommend choosing different weapon classes for different characters. Try and keep all the weapon classes covered. You may get rare weapon drops for a lot of different classes, but if every character is trained on two-hand swords, the rare drops for all those other weapon classes will be wasted. If you get a high-level rare elemental weapon, it might be worth it to train the character you choose to use that weapon in the corresponding augment element skill. Aside from weapon skills and element skills, skills that improve results (damage, healing amount through spells, success rates of spells) against different classes of units level up this way as well. The one that works against humans (anatomy) is very useful and worth training on most/all of your characters as early as possible. The ones against beasts and dragons may be useful to train on your dragoon.

Canopus starts out using one-handed swords and one-handed bows. Unfortunately, his class can't use two-handed bows, so you risk making him useless in the endgame as there are very few high-level one-handed bows. I suggest making him use crossbows as early as possible so he can level up the crossbow skill from the start. He can use all crossbows in the game.

Also, try to learn stat-increasing skills that fits with a character's class. That is, get strengthen and fortify (and possibly others that you want) for physical damage units and spellcraft plus suitable defensive skills for magic users. Truestrike and trueflight are really useful early on, but become less necessary as you start to level up weapon skills.

Unique characters have better stats than generic characters.

You may get extra dialogue by bringing specific unique characters to specific battle. A guide covering most, but not all, of these events can be found here. The guide also shows how to recruit all unique characters. In classic Matsuno style, a lot of them are missable and quite easy to miss without help.

Almost all (human) character classes are represented by unique characters, but a few are not. The ones that are not include warrior, rogue, ninja and lich (although you would likely need a guide for the last one). So if you want to use all classes, but still only use unique characters, you should change some unique characters into these classes. You can recruit 4 unique characters in the valkyrie class, two in the white knight class and two in the beastmaster class so these characters may be the first choice to switch to one of the classes I listed above.

If you want to recruit a certain shop keeper who appears in Act 4, you need to buy 5 elemental orbs of each element from her shop. Problem is, the only way to get her to sell these orbs is to auction off dragons. For every dragon you auction off, she will sell 2 orbs of its element. So to be able to buy 5, you need to recruit and auction off 3 dragons of each element, including hydras, which counts as a class of dragon for this quest. This is not as bad as it sounds. If you recruit and auction off every dragon you encounter through the main game, you should have gotten almost every one you need. For this reason, it may be a good idea to keep a beastmaster or someone who has learned the "tame" skill from the beastmaster class around in your party until you have recruited all the dragons you need. If you want this character to give you a unique class as well you must perform another, much more tedious, task as well. I'm not going to describe this here, but note that if you recruit her without doing this task, you will miss the chance of getting this unique class.

The in-battle chariot system can be cheesed to get desired outcomes. Most of the time I wouldn't use it, but for certain tedious tasks (recruiting enemy units or getting a desired drop) it is very useful. Basically, if you repeat the exact same action, you will always get the same outcome. But if you change something slightly (go from another direction, change what action the previous character performed and so on) they re-roll the dice so you can try different things until you get the desired outcome.

Maybe the game explained this, but it's (much) easier to recruit an enemy unit if they are very low on HP.

Regarding unique weapons: Especially in side-quest dungeons, some enemies may drop unique weapons. They may not always spawn in the battles. Completionists would use a guide to see which unique weapons can be gotten from each fight and restart the fight until they spawn all the enemies that drop unique weapons, but I recommend against this as it would likely make you hate the game. What you can do, however, is to look out for if any enemy has a much higher level than everyone else. If so, they will most likely be able to drop special equipment when they fall. Unfortunately, the drop rate may be ridiculously low, so use the chariot trick described above to improve your odds.

When you receive a new class, they will start at level one. While some would suggest power-levelling these classes, I would instead suggest just taking them into story battles to receive experience organically. They will get an experience boost compared to higher-level classes. Keep them in the back because they will be pretty useless for quite a long time. Furthermore, enemy AI is programmed to do maximum amount of damage so they will try to go for these units first. Handicapping yourself like this adds some much-needed extra challenge to the game (I feel it's a bit on the easy side otherwise).

In some battles there will be guest characters. If you keep them alive you may be able to recruit them later on, but if they die they stay dead forever. However, keeping them alive may sometimes be difficult as they usually start quite close to the enimes and furthermore have rather suicidal AI. Two tricks that may help you out is to have one or two characters equipped with the item lobber to toss healing items their way, or to use the consumable that makes the weather worse as accuracy of attacks will go down in bad weather, giving you more time to get to the guest character. A slightly more cheesy approach is to use a decoy character without armor to draw some enemy attention away from the guest character. Canopus, with his high mobility, may prove useful for this.

I may have forgotten some things.

One thing I missed. For Denam you can unlock a special class that can use ninja's dual-wield. Therefore, consider training him in daggers, one-handed swords or one-handed katanas so he can use this skill to its fullest if you get this special class. Likewise, Azelstan's unique buccaneer class can use dual wield learned from being a ninja as well. This class can use daggers and one-handed swords, so I would consider training him for these weapons. I think when you get him, he may already have gained some ranks in onehanded swords, so that may be your best bet. Also, he will have some ranks in fusils when you get him, but that is a dead end, because the buccaneer can only use one-handed fusils, and in the end-game all good fusils require two hands. Finally there is one special character you can recruit who I won't spoil. But this character comes with a special class that can use the dual-wield skill as well. The class can't learn the skill, only use it, which is a bit of a pain in the ass, because getting the class mark you need to switch back to this class after making them a ninja is a bit tricky (you would probably need to look at a guide). Anyway, I would recommend training this character in using one-handed swords to take advantage of the dual-wield skill, even though the character is trained in whips when you get them. Oh, right, I forgot about the ranger class. This class can dual-wield as well, with daggers and one-handed swords.

Oh and another point. The lawful route is the best route. Most interesting story, most interesting characters and it gives you the most useful unique characters. Only, keep in mind, if you have to make a big decision at some point, that lawful doesn't necessarily mean good.

Second edit: Don't underestimate status effect spells. They can be very useful if you are overwhelmed by enemies.

Shai-Tan

Banned
What really got to me was leveling the new classes I got. e.g. I wanted to level a Beast Tamer but it starts at level 1, but my other characters are high level so the only levels I can grind it gets killed very quickly

Ohnonono

Thanks for everyone's help! I played tonight and after a bit of messing with stuff I got passed where I was stuck. Turns out it was chapter 1, a fight with a beast master guy on a swamp map. Finally beat him and got to progress the story. Just made what seems like a huge story choice. Gonna play through the fallout tommorow night!

Boney

Banned
Thanks for everyone's help! I played tonight and after a bit of messing with stuff I got passed where I was stuck. Turns out it was chapter 1, a fight with a beast master guy on a swamp map. Finally beat him and got to progress the story. Just made what seems like a huge story choice. Gonna play through the fallout tommorow night!
Awesome! What choice did you make?

Also, equipment really makes a difference. Be sure to stay on top of upgrading your equipment via crafting. Just don't neglect it. And as everybody said, skills are super important, seeing that's what you're actually leveling up on individual basis.

Ohnonono

Awesome! What choice did you make?

Also, equipment really makes a difference. Be sure to stay on top of upgrading your equipment via crafting. Just don't neglect it. And as everybody said, skills are super important, seeing that's what you're actually leveling up on individual basis.

I
Killed the villagers for the "greater good."
This game's story stuff is so great. Really enjoying it.

OSHAN

Little to do with this game, but thread reminded me of a kid that came into Software Etc years ago when I was working there.

We had a small television behind the counter looping upcoming/current games and what have you, and one of them was Ogre Battle for N64. Anyway, this kid is watching the tv and asks what game is that (pointing at Ogre Battle); after the words left his mouth, it says Ogre Battle on the tv. This kid is probably 15 or 16, and he looks puzzled and says, "Ogg Grey Bah Tell?"

I don't know if the word "ogre" threw him off, but he really struggled with with "battle" as well. Now, whenever I see any games related to this series, I cant' help but pronounce it as the classic "Ogg Grey." Thanks Software Etc customer from 1999.

You can run into the level scaling any time if you grind too much. i.e. if you're 10 levels or more above (usually) then the enemies scale up. This comes up more often when using WORLD though. It's why I recommend against just trying to grind in this game to bypass walls you're up against, because it's gonna work against you if you go too far.

Until you use WORLD the enemies only scale within a set level range, so it is possible just to grind through your first playthrough.

Mephala

I really enjoyed this game. I had some pretty tough situations when I first started for exactly the same reasons, it was a bit overwhelming and I was unsure what works well and what doesn't.

Tips:

General Stuff
  • Pressing Select to bring up a help/tooltip for options and details in the menu.
  • Use a different save file before entering battles. Some of the story ones you cannot back out of multi-staged battles.
  • In the story you will fight a lot of humans so anatomy can be useful.
  • The AI targets your weakest units whenever possible. Knights with high defense will unlikely be targeted unless they are the only ones in range but given their slow speeds this doesn't usually work well.
  • Using magic scrolls "learns" the magic. You can then use the magic provided your class can wield it.
  • You can always use scrolls regardless of class. This means anyone can drop an Exorcism Scroll on an undead unit to get rid of it.
  • The lighter your character's weight and less actions you perform the faster the unit's move will come up again.
  • Bows can fire outside of their target range. Even further if you're elevated.
  • Field Alchemy is useful, items are very effective as any character can use them with the skill.
  • Lobbers are useful throughout the game. The ability to throw a potion to a distant dying ally is a literally life saver.
  • Sell those oberyths for money. Maybe keep a couple of silvers for scavenging skills later though they generally come easy enough any ways.

Magic specific:
  • Meditate - Aside from Valkyrie/RF, Priest and Ninja (two of which aren't really full casters anyway) all other mages should learn the skill Meditate (from Wizards I believe). This skill generates MP by using TP. This skill ranks up allowing you to generate more MP per meditate. Until you get some nice MP items this is your best friend.
  • You can save a scroll use by "learning" the spell in combat. You don't have to learn it in the menu.
  • Status Effects are extremely effective. Especially against monsters. The chance of afflicting the same status lowers each time it is hit with it though. Remember that just because your mage isn't using the right element to inflict decent damage
  • Each caster should focus on a single element (for now) and equip that element's attunement skill to level it's effectiveness.
  • Early on, status effects are the best way to utilise mages outside of specific high defense but low m.defense targets. Once you get access to some of the better spells and up your elemental attunement you will start to nuke everything.

Not sure whether it's been covered or not, but the offensive/defensive value (to crushing, slashing, or piercing) of an item affects damage received massively. Crafting +1 items is the best way to maximise a unit's stats--I'd say it's all but mandatory for armour especially. This value can be the difference between losing half a unit's health or taking 1/3 the damage, useful for tanky or squishy units of all types.

Similarly, inspecting an enemy's equipment and comparing your units' capabilities is an easy way to find a breach in their defenses, which is why it's good to have a variety of weapon types at your disposal. (Keep this in mind for your armour selection as well.) When all else fails, magic! And if that fails, debuffs! And if that fails, consumable items! Then, when there's nothing left, try gaining a level or two--new equipment, skills, or spells can mage an immense difference in how a battle plays out.

One final thing: the chariot wheel. Don't be afraid to fudge the numbers in your favour if you want. It exists solely for your convenience.

But, yeah. Enjoy the game, OP. There's a lot more to come and it only gets better from where you're at. Tactics Ogre is a true classic.

Ohnonono

Can't wait to play again tonight. I have not "grinded" at all though and am going to have to fight some chained battles now (the game told me this.) I think most of my stuff is lvl 6 or 7. Hopefully that is good enough. I have a save file just before I went into the point of no return though so if I need to go back and gain a few levels I can.

Mephala

I loved this game, but it was the story I felt to be overwhelming. I just could not keep track of everything. =/

The Warren Report was great for keeping track of things. It has changing statuses on characters, factions and helps immensely in keeping track of what is happening currently. This is especially when you get to using the WORLD tarot system.

It's really not that bad for the main story. Post-game is a monster though. Having done not even a third of the post-game content after 300 hours is quite discouraging.

Seriously? I'm working on my first playthrough right now, (almost done with Chapter 3...I think?) and I knew the post game was beefy but damn, that's ludicrous.

Also people saying this is the best SRPG of all time...you weren't kidding.

I loved this game, but it was the story I felt to be overwhelming. I just could not keep track of everything. =/

Best piece of advice I ever got was to wait at the title screen to watch the movie that plays. It basically explains a lot of the history constantly referred to in the game. Otherwise I would have been completely lost.

Seriously? I'm working on my first playthrough right now, (almost done with Chapter 3...I think?) and I knew the post game was beefy but damn, that's ludicrous.

Also people saying this is the best SRPG of all time...you weren't kidding.

That's an outlier in terms of hours. You can do pretty everything that there is to be done in the game in 70 hours. I'm not sure what you would even do for 300 hours other than repeat fights over and over.

That's an outlier in terms of hours. You can do pretty everything that there is to be done in the game in 70 hours. I'm not sure what you would even do for 300 hours other than repeat fights over and over.
You're thinking of another game. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has content for miles and I can't see a basic playthrough being less than 70+ hours, depending on how efficient you are.

There's just so. much. stuff.

You're thinking of another game. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has content for miles and I can't see a basic playthrough being less than 70+ hours, depending on how efficient you are.

There's just so. much. stuff.

A basic playthough wouldn't take anywhere near that long unless you are new to the genre.The game is easy compared to the original game, especially late game, so running through levels using WORLD can be done pretty quickly. Though I probably low balled it with 70 hours, it's nowhere near 300. The game has a ton of content, but not 300 hours worth. I'm not sure any single player game has 300 hours of content.

Edit: I checked my 100% save and it's at 123 hours, but I'd hardly call that the most efficient of runs.

Mephala

A basic playthough wouldn't take anywhere near that long unless you are new to the genre.The game is easy compared to the original game, especially late game, so running through levels using WORLD can be done pretty quickly. Though I probably low balled it with 70 hours, it's nowhere near 300. The game has a ton of content, but not 300 hours worth. I'm not sure any single player game has 300 hours of content.

Edit: I checked my 100% save and it's at 123 hours, but I'd hardly call that the most efficient of runs.

I am curious as to what you have completed in your 123 hours. Without sounding like a dick I feel that perhaps you are the outlier, not most of us who hit over 123 hours and feel there is plenty left undone.

warheat

GOD TIER :

1. NINJA (Steelstance & Double Attack)
2. ARCHER (Tremendeous Shot & Double Shot)
3. VARTAN (CANOPUS only)

TOP TIER :

1. ROGUE
2. WITCH/WARLOCK

If you have at least 2-3 of these, you're going to be fine.

Basileus, I'm honestly shocked you could 100% it in that time. I'll never understand how you managed it, but wow.
GOD TIER :

1. NINJA (Steelstance & Double Attack)
2. ARCHER (Tremendeous Shot & Double Shot)
3. VARTAN (CANOPUS only)

TOP TIER :

1. ROGUE
2. WITCH/WARLOCK

If you have at least 2-3 of these, you're going to be fine.
What's so great about rogues?

And where are the dragons? I've found mine invaluable in suppressing and overpowering the enemy.

Mephala

What's so great about rogues?

A little more versatile than ninja. Edit. Maybe versatile isn't the right word... Customisable?

They move quickly and can keep up distance wise with ninja. Daggers are oddly one of the strongest weapons in the late game as they scale off both strength and agility. Couple this with Sneak attack and you have potentially one of the hardest hitting single attacks. Speedster is pretty good skill. Sparagmos while no tier two summon can still destroy multiple targets which is quite strong for a melee based generic class. Sadly this skill limits them to air element.

Since they only need 1 hand to use the dagger the second hand is free for Lobber, 1h Bow or Petridart (pretty much the only blowdart worth using outside of a cursed one but who the hell would go and farm that!).

I would argue that late game Valkyries/RF are better in terms of generic classes.

Usobuko

Banned
I never go beyond post game because it's a drag with enemy scaling.

You need a mage that can do elemental dmg. RF is a decent class that can learn healing and atk 2-3 space away from other melee. My Denam is a knight that learns healing too. I have a Dark Knight that learns terror strike which is good against mob when I seem to do neglible dmg to them. Swordsman class give aoe def/atk boost when they dance.

You can hit you own teammates to get cp.

The best classes are ninja and archer. I have 3 archers, 2 from story based encounters.

Balphon

I really hated the level-by-class stuff so I never got past Chapter 2C. It's a shame since everything else they revamped was pretty great.

SMK

Daggers also have a great damage to weight ratio. Weirdly enough, Rogues can learn almost all the passive skills with the exception of magic attack I think. Also, they can steal items.

Finalow

damn I read this thread thinking it was about FFT, for some reason.

I played this game a long time ago so I remember almost nothing :_( but I don't think I ever had too many problems (I might have abused archers) with the difficulty. I was planning on playing this (and FFT) again sooner or later.

Debuffing magic is way more useful in this game than almost any other game I've played. Poison, slow, -STR, -ACC, will make enemies way more easier to handle than going the brute force route.

You should try to craft frequently to get the best gear. You can always just save right before, so even if the % is ridiculously low and you keep getting bad results, you can always just reload until you get what you want. I'd tend to grind as much as you can to get access to better skills and gear, more than just levelling up for the sake of it, especially considering how much you have to grind later on to level up at all.

Sneak attack, great movement, fast turn, and to top of that by being able to "boot of swiftness" yourself, basically you can try many builds with rogue and it will still turn out okay.

Daggers also have a great damage to weight ratio. Weirdly enough, Rogues can learn almost all the passive skills with the exception of magic attack I think. Also, they can steal items.

I see. This is some good info.

I'll have to reconsider my stance on rogues.

biggest thing with 'strength' in this game is to remember to choose things based on utility, not its level or something

a lot of the best items in the game for general or specific circumstances are lower level items... make sure you check out strengths/weaknesses such as crushing damage, strong against lizardmen, etc... these things make a huge difference. and it helps a lot to give people short bows -- pretty sure this has been said already but it can always been reinforced. short bows help with leveling and general survivability a lot.

great game with huge amount of contents... i think my main file is close to 250 hours and I'm barely scratching the surface of deep dungeon and cursed weapons, and not even anywhere close to be ready for the expansion (basically there's post-ending content that's also a huge dungeon crawling).

twinking is a lot of fun in the game, too, thanks to Skills, item strengths/weaknesses, and crafting... the difference can be two or three-fold even.. it's actually on par with something like Diablo 2, where the game promotes twinking and also crafting/keep 'twink sets' to use on 'alt characters' or new twink classes. it's fun to go back and twink, say, 8 swordsmen or another class you ignored for 60 hours.

the weirdest thing is the leveling system but I tend to think of it like this: a character's personal power is actually their Skills... and in a way it is. 'Levels' actually sort of represent the ability of your army to support or equip a type of class. So, that's why a strong character may suddenly became a Lv1 Knight -- they're still very strong with Skills. But you're army cannot support and field Lv30 Knights... only Lv1 Knights. So, that's how I sort of reconcile that oddity -- looking at Class Levels as sort of your army's ability to field a certain type of class and soldier.

GeekyDad

...I can't seem to find a guide that just talks about the basics of setting up a starting party and not making big mistakes that lead to you being super under powered.

Been a while since I played the game, but as I remember it, the game has tons and fucking tons of info in terms of story and gameplay. You just gotta read it.

It's very fucking playable, that much I do remember. I wouldn't put it up there with FFT: War of the Lions in terms of story, but gameplay-wise, it's definitely one of the great SRPGs.

To be honest, Tactics Orge was a great game, until the last stretch of the game. At that point, the main character was a dead weight to everybody due to his late game class. I don't understand why leveling is based on class level and not the individual. It was such a bad design, IMO.

Gotcha, that sounds more realistic. I'm no stranger to SRPG's but this thread has been super helpful. I'm surprised at how much I didn't know.

Top Bottom