• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

Are... Are you guys serious? An alleged Walmart store uses a red Nintendo logo to conglomerate stock, with no evidence mind you, and people are saying this points to NX or is Nintendo's doing in any way?

It is way, way too early to tell, at least wait until press.nintendo.com updates or something.
It's multiple stores if nothing else

Danneee

Make it happen Nintendo, leave the baggage behind, rising like a phoenix from the ashes

Nintendo-Logo.svg

IF it leads to more than just a change of logo I'm all for it. Just trying to play the nostalgia card and then continuing the stupid console naming, ignoring IPs and third party support just seem desperate.

opoth

Banned
Can't speak for any other stores, but the local Target just took over half an aisle for Rock Band/Guitar Hero plastic instruments, so I could see them needing to consolidate space in other areas to make it happen.

big_z

Walmart changed their games section recently. Each companies crap is placed inside a matching colored display case(blue, green, red/grey) instead of being separated by console/handheld. It looks a lot better now with everything unified.

Meesh

Meh, personally I think "Nintendo" should be in gold with a matt black bg. If only just to indicate their everlasting brand and solid games...but whatevs, using the old red is ok by me too.

Neoxon

If the NX is a single device that works for handheld and console gaming, then that will be big. It will be a true convergence of what Nintendo has been trying to achieve with the connectivity between platforms since the Game Boy and Super Nintendo.
It won't be a hybrid.

Richie

GameStop is the same way as well, both the 3DS and Wii U banners are gone. Which are replaced with the same red Nintendo banner and the Wii U section has a picture of Pikachu accompanying it while the 3DS has Mario.

Funnily enough there's much more Mario than Pikachu in the Wii U and Pikachu has a meaningful presence only in the 3DS.

Its not just Wal Mart.

Its all major retailers. You can walk into any major retail chain in the US and if they know what they are doing their marketing has been updated. Nintendo is moving away from the Wii U and 3ds branding as well as the Wii U Blue color scheme.

Again read into that what you will

AdanVC

My local Walmart doesn't even sell Nintendo stuff anymore and I remember it was at that Walmart where I purchased a Wii when it launched in 2006 and almost half of the electronic section was filled with Wii's since they were truly flying off shelves... How times have changed.

Brofield

I honestly would have just figured that they brought out the old signs from storage.

I'm in Canada, but I don't recall seeing any red logos in the Walmart I visited two days after Dr. Mario released. Must have been within the last week it changed.

As much as I adored their branding during the DS and Wii era, it really is time for a new direction. The Wii has one of my favourite brandings in videogame history. Very clean and with a clear point of view. However it fell completely flat with Wii U, and the 3DS isn't much better.

Going back to the classic Nintendo red would be a good decision. At the same time, I feel the color red doesn't match Nintendo much anymore. It seems a bit harsh, makes me think of Netflix or Youtube, it doesn't really carry the friendly image. It's very utilitarian, like fast food logos often have red in them you know? Though brands like Coca-cola have been able to make it charming as well. Oh well, I'm sure Nintendo could make it work since their marketing has been on point and they show to have an idea how to market themselves in the future... I'm probably overthinking this. We haven't even seen proof of the Nintendo red returning.

I like the idea of Nintendo going gold though. Imagine that.

sonto340

I work at a Walmart, and our electronics has had a red back with a Nintendo heading for quite some time. Perhaps OPs is just getting around to it since there's a dedicated mod team in walmarts now.
That said our store also still has a Guitar Hero World Tour Art up behind the game guides so who the fuck knows

The era of Wii+DS is finally coming to an end, so it seems natural that Nintendo would return back to their original branding.

I welcome this change. The WiiDS era has been incredible for Nintendo, but I'm ready for a new era to begin.

MKP64

Same at Target. They moved the Wii U games into the 3DS section. Makes sense to me considering PS4and Vita are in the same section.

Here I walked into a GameStop and took a picture for you guys since no one wanted to. This is what Nintendos new branding looks like

Wk6b.jpg

Banned
Last year I made a post wishing Nintendo would go back to the red logo era and start doing red boxes for their games since Sony has blue and Microsoft has green. I also said the next console should just be named the Nintendo for the console and Nintendo Go/Mini for the handheld.

Maybe this Walmart ad is vindicating me ;)

L Thammy

That isn't the classic red logo. :|

If Nintendo is trying to invoke the classic logo, though, I wonder if that suggests that they're changing their marketing focus.

That Pikachu is cute. Look at how happy that mouse is.

AdanVC

Here I walked into a GameStop and took a picture for you guys since no one wanted to. This is what Nintendos new branding looks like

Wk6b.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Those signs look really good but I was hoping the actual logo was red :(

Wow they have one inkling girl amiibo available!

They've been heading towards this for a while. For example they renamed their Wii U and 3DS facebook pages "Nintendo Console Gaming" and "Nintendo Handheld Gaming" respectively. I don't think it really means anything related to the NX it's just that their putting their name out first.

They've been heading towards this for a while. For example they renamed their Wii U and 3DS facebook pages "Nintendo Console Gaming" and "Nintendo Handheld Gaming" respectively. I don't think it really means anything related to the NX it's just that their putting their name out first.
I think this was because they can't keep changing the names of these pages whenever they release new hardware.

I think this was because they can't keep changing the names of these pages whenever they release new hardware.

I mean they can, or make new Facebook pages, I just think Nintendo is the more impactful name nowadays than Wii or DS. These are exciting times, we're seeing a new Nintendo emerge and I think it's interesting to see how it's going to play out within the next 5 years.

Gsnap

Red's a lot more eye-catching than silver/gray. I'll never understand why they changed it.

Yeah. Would be nice to walk into a game store or gaming section of a store and see red, blue, and green, rather than blue, blue, and green. Or worse, grey, blue, and green.

I'm guessing it's because Nintendo wanted a more neutral color for the Wii/DS era.

Yeah, minimalism and neutrality were pretty popular back then. Especially with Nintendo. Seems like color is making a comeback though, between the bright blue Wii U cases, the New 3DS' box art and colored buttons and faceplates. The latest big game (super mario maker) is bright yellow. And now this possible red initiative.

I look forward to seeing if anything comes out of this.

L Thammy

Besides moving on to new hardware and strengthening the mindshare for their brand, I think another possible reason for this move might be to cover up shrinking shelf space. Instead of tiny 3DS and Wii U shelves which may not be noticed, a larger Nintendo shelf.

Gsnap

Besides moving on to new hardware and strengthening the mindshare for their brand, I think another possible reason for this move might be to cover up shrinking shelf space. Instead of tiny 3DS and Wii U shelves which may not be noticed, a larger Nintendo shelf.

Not only would it make their shelf space appear larger, being under one giant Nintendo banner, but it would also possibly help consumers get in the mindset that the console and handheld are equally important or 2 parts of the same whole. Which, of course, will help in the transition to the NX platform if it does turn out to be the kind of unified OS/platform it's assumed to be.

Basically, it's not a mindblowing marketing revolution, but it's a good idea all around I think.

Since Nintendo is putting out more non-game related items - Amiibo, Pokemon GO!, and the like - it makes sense to market everything under the Nintendo umbrella.

Especially if there won't be much of a divide between the console and handheld sides for NX as the hints suggest.

And while I'd like to see the red Nintendo logo return, using the red in this way looks good.

Zalman

Whether than having three different brands (Wii U, 3DS and amiibo), it's good to remind people that they're all under the same umbrella. It's less confusing, it's more eye-catching and it makes their products seem more important when they have one large area instead of three smaller ones.

It's a great decision, assuming it's not just happening in Walmart.

AdanVC

Red's a lot more eye-catching than silver/gray. I'll never understand why they changed it.

Yeah. I hope they go all red on their branding once NX comes out. Red is eye-catching and it stands out easier from the blue of PS and the green of Xbox. Leave the gray/white easthetic to Apple.

Wk6b.jpg

Woah...is that a new Pikachu render? I can't place that from any existing games.

Going to red is a nice change, I never really cared for the sleek blues/greys/whites but I understand why they did it with the Wii (since the wii had that sleek "apple" feel to it)

It'll be nice to see if that actually carries over into other products (like the Nintendo logo on amiibo packaging; perhaps the 3DS logo can be modified more, all red on the nintendo, all black on the 3ds or vice versa...since the 3D thing is super downplayed now)

Top Bottom