• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eli Roth's The Green Inferno will release on 1000 screens September 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
The best thing Eli Roth has ever done was directed by someone else.

The best thing Eli Roth has ever directed was a 3-minute trailer.

ElTopo

Banned
I love the Italian cannibal movies so I will be checking this out. Roth is a bit hit and miss for me but the guy is passionate about the genre.

BTW get the DVD of Bloodsucking Freaks. Roth does an amazing commentary for that film. He actually recorded it a couple of years before he broke out and made Cabin Fever.

UberTag

Just catching up on this thread now. Happy to see this finally getting released.

For those of you on the fence or pleading with the "please be good", I can pass along that this film delivers what it promises. Dumb kids get stranded on an island full of cannibals and get eaten in horribly graphic fashion. Many of the characters are, by and large, abrasive and one-dimensional enough that you essentially root for their demise.

The gore delivers so the shock value effect certainly hits home for folks who haven't watched Cannibal Holocaust and their ilk before and it's perfectly watchable. There's a lot of intentional humor in the script to disarm audiences between the scenes of violence. None of it really insulted my intelligence... just the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the characters in the film. And I'm fine with that.

Really the only issues I had were some unnecessarily immature scatological humor (even last year's awesome It Follows had an ill-placed fart joke) and a pointless sequence involving river rapids that probably should have wound up on the cutting room floor (but probably hasn't found its way there).

kinggroin

Banned
Saw this last night. Without spoiling anything, everything leading up to and including the first death in the village, rivaled Cannibal Holocaust.

At that point, I turned to my friend and said, "I don't know if I can handle another hour of this"

I left the theater incredibly disappointed with not only the turn of events, but the turn of the mood and almost genre not soon after I uttered those words.

Ultimately there was some gross fun to be had, but don't expect it to remain consistent in tone. AT ALL. Fair warning.

Ridley327

Hadn't heard of this movie but IMDB says it's a 2013 movie, so why is it coming out in theaters now?

It hit the festival circuit towards the end of 2013 and got picked up fairly late that year. That in of itself tends to be a really common release strategy for a lot of independent horror. It was set to come out last September, but there was a widely publicized dispute between the production company and the distributor over the film's marketing and distribution that wound up putting the film's release in the US into limbo for a time.

kinggroin

Banned
It hit the festival circuit towards the end of 2013 and got picked up fairly late that year. That in of itself tends to be a really common release strategy for a lot of independent horror. It was set to come out last September, but there was a widely publicized dispute between the production company and the distributor over the film's marketing and distribution that wound up putting the film's release in the US into limbo for a time.

Yeah, I'm glad it saw daylight.

As much shit as I'll give it because of my own expectations; I had fun anyway.

Yeah, I'm glad it saw daylight.

As much shit as I'll give it because of my own expectations; I had fun anyway.

The humor killed it for me. Felt like Zombeavers: Cannibal Edition. I would have loved it if he had the balls to go straight visceral with no humor from the point of being captured by the tribe. I think he threw the humor in there to balance the gore. I wish it went down a darker path.

That being said it was fun. I will enjoy it much more the 2nd watch because I will have a different mindset going in.

kinggroin

Banned
The humor killed it for me. Felt like Zombeavers: Cannibal Edition. I would have loved it if he had the balls to go straight visceral with no humor from the point of being captured by the tribe. I think he threw the humor in there to balance the gore. I wish it went down a darker path.

That being said it was fun. I will enjoy it much more the 2nd watch because I will have a different mindset going in.

Yup. It's still a purchase day one. Just that the wait for someone to dethrone CB continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom