• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

Kawika

https://youtu.be/gcpn4TPEOzc

IS everyone experiencing cart damage? I did haven't notice any damage. It could be that I am not removing them in a hurry and I am trying to avoid those edges that surround the flaps. The flaps themselves don't seem to be causing any damage save for when I put a front loading game genie into it and I couldn't line up the pins right. I clearly was being rough with it and half expected a little scratching.

Echoes

Great to see Kevtris' post. What do I need to be able to update the firmware? (I never heard of everdrive etc — wondering what the best tool is.)

Kawika

Great to see Kevtris' post. What do I need to be able to update the firmware? (I never heard of everdrive etc — wondering what the best tool is.)

I have an incoming review of the Everdrive from Stone Age Gamer coming in shortly.

Decider

Maybe if SAG are shipping domestically? Buying direct always offered a saving for me, plus no awful SAG label on my cart.

TSM

I broke down and pre-ordered one of the next batch of these consoles. It actually seems like this should be an advantage as they still have some bugs to work out of the hardware and the next batch should ship with any fixes.

I didn't have any games for the system so I have until this thing ships to get a decent collection together. I've started with exclusive Japan exclusive Famicom games. Is ebay the best way to acquire games or is there somewhere else online I'm not aware of?

NEOGAF! Quick note of introduction: My name is Christopher Taber, I am the founder of Analogue.

I'm here to address the concerns in this thread. I would've done so sooner, but I was only recently made aware of this thread and it took some time for my account to be activated/username to be changed to my real name.

I'm addressing NEOGAF directly as we have little to no reports of the issues listed here, nor have we experienced the magnitude of outrage exhibited (it's quite shocking). We've experienced virtually nothing but positivity from our customers from the beginning till today.

--

I'd like to start by saying, when it comes to things of this nature, it is important to understand that the internet can be a tyrannical monster, filled with conspiracy theories and speculation.

Though, I do believe it is coming from a good place. I know everybody was excited to get their Nt and it is a result of frustration that we could've eliminated -- and for that, I apologize.

For the record, there is no one from Analogue posting in this thread, other than me. This is my first post on NEOGAF, period. It remains unclear to me how a rumor of an 'employee posting' (Ernest Dorazio) here started, but this is a good example of blatantly reckless and unchecked statements that can quickly lead to misconceptions.

Pre-orders & delays

Regardless of the conspiracy theories and speculation may be found on the internet -- the Nt was indeed finished, in production and planned to ship on our originally announced dates. All of our delays have been honest. The short version: it took time for us to reach our quality demands after we scaled production up. The smallest issues result in weeks and months of delays. This caused us to miss estimated dates and as we focused totally on production obstacles, communication suffered in some areas.

To be clear: the Analogue Nt is not a Kickstarter...an important distinction between a Kickstarter and taking pre-orders: we offer refunds to our customers at anytime. Pre-orders are there simply to 'lock' your place in line, since the Nt is a limited product. Those that are willing to pre-order get the benefit of locking their place in line. If you don't want to pre-order, or for whatever reason you'd like to cancel your pre-order sometime in-between your original order date and when your order ships: you could and can do this at anytime.

There is a reason why virtually all high end aluminum products like this are produced in house, with internally developed infrastructure and guidelines: it is incredibly difficult to manufacture and maintain perfect quality control without developing the process and controlling it entirely. Those that don't usually run into problems, even with manufacturing partners with decades of experience. This is also why most off the cuff anodized products are quite generic when compared to the quality we expect today from aluminum products (Apple).

Our aesthetic requirements are higher than any part any one of our manufacturing partners has ever made.

Now, we had already achieved the quality we were looking for with smaller sample production runs, before mass production - but as it scales up, additional variables are introduced. It can be really maddening.

To meet the quality we required, we had to be there, every step of the way, for every piece of production. Essentially this means we are at the production facilities with our manufacturing partners, through every step, every process.

To give you an idea: there was a running joke with several of our manufacturing partners that we should just open our own factory, since we personally developed our own process and had to be there, working with them, every step of the way.

And that is just the aluminum.

Our PCB's are fabricated with an unusual set of features. It's 2mm black FR4 with 2oz copper and a transparent solder mask. There is only one company who will produce it in the quantities we require, and they produce it once per quarter, and it takes up to 6 weeks to complete. This is only the material the PCB is manufactured with, nothing to do with etching, assembling etc. It's just raw material.

We designed and manufactured a highly unique product, with a demand for quality that requires truly unreasonable legwork to get it right.

Outside of the above -- the other delays were more or less out of our hands (port congestion / port strikes). Needless to say, none of this is anyone's problem but ours. I only hope this provides a little insight into the effort it takes to produce something like this -- and how easily months and months of delays can occur.

When a small team becomes consumed by problems that are of the highest priority -- other areas can lose their sharpness (communication, the finer details etc).

The good news is that we understand exactly where and how we can improve. We've successfully developed a scalable production process and strengthened our relationships with our manufacturing partners. We'll be providing more specific details and creating a more consolidated content release, versus the staggered approach we took before.

In other words, our next production is exceptionally dialed in.

HDMI & RGB

We developed an RGB to HDMI upscaler specifically for the Nt. It was significantly better than any other RGB>HDMI upscaler in its price class, especially since there are none developed specifically for this kind of use (in its price class). There were no problems and it didn't fail. It was developed for use exclusively with the Nt, not any other products or systems. It worked great, but it paled in comparison to the HDMI upgrade you guys are enjoying.

As we we're running into delay after delay, we came across a unique opportunity to provide an almost unbelievably superior solution.

Even though it is several times more expensive than what we had already developed (and we lost all the time and money for development and production) -- the frustration of delay after delay of course upset us too. We wanted to do everything we could to surprise everyone with something beyond expectation - something that made the extended wait even more worth it.

The HDMI upgrade information was provided via an email update to everyone who pre-ordered -- Judging by the emails we received when we showcased these never-before-seen features and most importantly, when your units were finally delivered - we've seen virtually universal acclaim. Needless to say, we're really happy that you guys are as excited about it as we are.

But -- I think you guys are right. We could've elaborated further. I can see that there are a handful of people who feel they were not informed in enough detail about specific things like RGB functionality in conjunction with the HDMI upgrade.

After all the delays, our primary concern was getting your Nt into your hands, so you could see first hand how amazing it actually was -- we could've done a better job explaining and gone into more detail. I apologize for any misunderstanding this has caused.

The good news:

1. If you want your unit to output RGB, we are happy to convert your Nt free of charge. We'll cover shipping both ways.

2. We are in the process of producing a solution to allow HDMI upgraded units to output composite (its already being manufactured now ^^). This will allow you to dual output HDMI and composite (separately, not simultaneously). We'll install this in any Nt owners system, free of charge. ETA: 4-6 weeks.

3. Second production: we're working on implementing composite video directly in the Nt motherboard so every HDMI upgrade unit will be able to output composite, stock.

4. For those interested in their Analogue Nt dual outputting analog and digital: we are investigating development into a 'kit' solution in the future for customers who'd like this 'dual' output option. No promises at this time, but we are exploring all possibilities.

5. If for whatever reason you are unhappy in regards to dual outputting HDMI and RGB, we will accept a return and provide you with a full refund.

Cartridge scuffing

Firstly, to the individuals who have experienced any cartridge scuffing: this truly makes me feel pain. I am deeply sorry you have experienced this.

Fortunately, this seems to be highly isolated -- few people (<5) have reported this experience (on various places on the net). We're not getting reports of people having issues of this nature, it appears to be less than 1% of customers. We have more reports of individuals who have literally tried to scratch their cartridges, and have been unable to do so than those that have experienced the opposite.

To avoid any issues with your Nt, please read the user guide before operating your Nt. All game cartridges should be inserted and removed in a straight, upward and downward motion to avoid any issues.

The good news:

We have solutions for everyone:

1. We're developing an elegant cartridge adapter, for NES & FC (similar to the honeybee adapter except it provides extension only) that will extend the cartridge slot. For those who don't want their games touching anything but your hands and your shelf. This is a pretty cool accessory for collectors, as it totally removes contact from anything except the cartridge connector itself. It is as small as possible and have an acrylic housing. It is already designed and being prototyped now. You can see what it looks like here. We're offering these first and foremost to anyone who has had an issue, free of charge. ETA: 4-6 weeks

2. For the second production: we've beveled the outside and inside of the cartridge slots to reduce any potential issues when a cartridge isn't inserted straight / is rocked etc.

Communication

We quite simply do not have the bandwidth/personnel to respond to every single thread and comment on the internet. The best way to get a hold of us is directly via email at info at analogueinteractive dot com. Please contact us directly and you'll always get a prompt response. We strive to get back to everyone within the same day (within business hours), but sometimes it takes 24-48 hours. As others have noted in this thread, if you email us directly, we'll help! Additionally - we are working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service.

SCART cables

We are aware of the issue with some SCART cables leading to brightness / over saturation. These issues were rectified immediately for each individual who contacted us and for all future SCART cables. If you have this issue and have not contacted us already, please do so and we will provide you with a free replacement cable.

Everdrive compatibly

The Everdrive N8 is now compatible (as of 9/27/15) with firmware v13. You can download the update here.

Castlevania 3 compatibility

We are aware of a compatibility issue with Castlevania 3 with the HDMI upgrade. We think we have found the issue and we'll have a firmware update available asap. Firmware updates can be done through a flash cart (powerpak, everdrive). If you do not have access to these, we will send you a cart to update your system with. We're aiming to put some carts into rotation for users on NEOGAF. We're already in contact with several people posting in this thread. There are no known compatibility issues with the default, RGB version of the Analogue Nt.

&#8203;Connector issues

&#8203;There are no known issues with connectors. 99% of all game issues are solved by cleaning the cartridge pins on your game cartridge. We can redesign the NES/FC to be amazing in all ways - but we can't fix the original perks of the way cartridge connect to the system. The good news is: if you give them a nice clean, your games will run perfectly. If a game will not boot, has glitches, or virtually any other problem - the cartridge pins should be cleaned.

&#8203;User guide

&#8203;&#8203;Please read the user guide online here. It is filled with important information on how to take advantage of all the amazing things your Nt can do.

Where can I find announcements and updates for the above?

We are working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service. Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too.

TL;DR

• the Nt was indeed finished, in production and planned to ship on our originally announced dates. All of our delays were transparent and honest. It isn't a mystery - it took time for us to get production right. The smallest issues result in weeks and months of delays. This caused us to miss estimated dates and as we focused totally on production obstacles, communication suffered in some areas.
  • Nt pre-orders &#8800; a kickstarter, you could and can cancel your pre-order at any time. Pre-orders are there to lock your place in line.
  • we offer HDMI > RGB conversion at any time, for free.
  • we're producing a stamp sized daughterboard that will provide composite video output for HDMI upgraded units, we are offering this board and installation for free. ETA: 4-6 weeks
  • if for whatever reason you are unhappy in regards to HDMI/RGB dual output, we will accept a return and offer a full refund.
  • we're developing a small extension adapter, for NES & FC (similar to the honeybee adapter except it provides extension only) that will extend the cartridge slot. For those who don't want their games touching anything but your hands and your shelf. Totally removes contact from anything except the cartridge connector itself. It is already designed and being prototyped now. You can see what they will look like here. We're offering these first and foremost to anyone who has had an issue, free of charge. ETA: 4-6 weeks
  • second production: composite video output stock in all Nt motherboards and we've beveled the outside and inside of the cartridge slots to reduce any potential issues when a cartridge isn't inserted straight / is rocked etc.
  • the scart cable / brightness issue has been addressed and fixed, we will send you a free replacement cable if you have a faulty cable.
  • the Everdrive N8 is now compatible (as of 9/27/15) with firmware v13. You can download the update here.
  • a firmware update for the HDMI upgrade will be released soon addressing a handful of bugs/incompatibilities, updatable with any flash cart. If you don't have a flash cart, we'll get a loaner in your hands.
  • we care about your feedback and if you ever have any issues, or if you'd just like to chat - don't hesitate to contact us directly at info at analogueinteractive dot com and you'll always get a prompt reply
  • we are working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service.

For everybody who worked on the Nt, it really is disheartening to read some of the perceptions painted in this thread. I want everyone to know we're extremely passionate about the Nt and we take your guys' feedback very seriously. The amount of sheer human effort that went into designing and producing this system is almost surreal. It is important to recognize why there are so few products like this that exist -- they can only be actualized as a labor of love. There are no words to fully express how much it means to us.

No matter how few, any misunderstanding that we have the ability to eliminate is unacceptable. We can see where we made mistakes in the past and how we can improve for the future.

I want every one of our customers to know that we're here - we're listening and we've got your backs. We know its was a long and frustrating wait for some, but we want everybody who ordered an Nt to be happy with their purchase - it means the world to us.

*This is a one time post. I do not wish to turn this thread into a customer service point -- it isn't appropriate. We're working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service. If anybody wants to talk with me directly, feel free to reach out at chris at analogueinteractive dot com. Also, if any of you folks are ever in Seattle, feel free to drop me a line and you can swing by our office. We'd love to have you.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What an epic post, Christopher - thanks very much for reaching out to the community.

Communication - As I have said earlier, direct and transparent communication can only help, I trust this journey has shown that. It's important for you to realize that during the road to Analogue NT you guys did not have benefit of doubt, which is why I, among others, were critical of what was going on. If you guys ever decide to make an Analogue SN (I'd buy one in a heartbeat), the discussion would be different. People probably wouldn't believe your timelines, but there wouldn't be doubts of eventual delivery, or that the product is real. Over communicate, and much anxiety is avoided.

Product - I for one am super happy with my Analogue Nt. I was blown away by getting the Kevtris upgrade for free. My friends love it too, it's the only console our guests want to play. Everything was as good, or better than promised.

Issues - I think the way you are handling the issues (free mods, free adapters) is generous and should build long term trust in your brand. I have no issues in my unit currently luckily.

All in all, I got a great product I'm happy with. The journey was probably more painful than it needed to be to everyone, but I think you guys shouldn't dwell too much on the past critique, rather do what you do, address, learn, adapt. There is no bad blood at least on my part, quite the contrary - I would buy another product, and recommend the Analogue Nt.

Frostburn

Great post Christopher, I am eagerly awaiting the second wave of Nt units since I missed the first production run. The changes you are making sound great, I've been building up a library of games to play when March 2016 gets here. Thanks for taking the time to address NeoGAF directly in this thread!

Kawika

TL;DR

For everybody who worked on the Nt, it really is disheartening to read some of the perceptions painted in this thread. I want everyone to know we're extremely passionate about the Nt and we take your guys' feedback very seriously. The amount of sheer human effort that went into designing and producing this system is almost surreal. It is important to recognize why there are so few products like this that exist -- they can only be actualized as a labor of love. There are no words to fully express how much it means to us.

I want every one of our customers to know that we're here - we're listening and we've got your backs. We know its was a long and frustrating wait for some, but we want everybody who ordered an Nt to be happy with their purchase - it means the world to us.

First off, Chris has been really, really helpful when it comes to customer service. He and I have emailed back and forth and I've always felt he was being honest and forth coming.

The videos I have posted have not really been to complain but to bring attention to issues and to see if they can get fixed.

I really like playing my NT over my HDMI but its a bummer I can't have rgb as well. Allowing for composite via a daughter board is nice but I have a working NES which can already do that. I really want RGB & HDMI. I hope you can figure that out some day.

The biggest news is that I can finally buy an Everdrive now. I didn't want to buy one for sometime now because I was afraid that the compatibility wouldn't be to my satisfaction.

Chittagong

Gold Member
On a positive note, a glowing review from PC Mag

PC Mag - 4/5

PC Mag said:
The Analogue Nt is one of the most expensive game systems you can currently buy, and it's very limited in its scope. However, it also does exactly what Analogue claims to do, and it does so just about flawlessly. Judging a practically bespoke, very specific, solid aluminum, enthusiast-targeted game system for its $500+ price tag and inability to play any non-NES or Famicom games would be like judging a sports car for having poor cargo space and fuel economy. This is a console for hardcore NES fans with deep pockets who embrace the idea of authenticity in experience from start to finish more than purely the end result. It's the gamer version of an obscenely expensive turntable and speaker system.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491829,00.asp

Frostburn

I was looking for a way to explain to my wife why I pre-ordered at $578 NES system when she knows I have one that works perfectly fine right now. I was using the difference between VHS and Blu-Ray in terms of video quality leap but I love the way the article addresses the niche that Analogue NT captures for those of us that grew up with Nintendo and want to replay our childhood games in perfect video and sound with an amazing art piece as hardware.

low_budget

Neo Member
There may be other HDMI NES options available soon.

Here's a cool original hardware NES clone from a guy in China. There's plenty of other options out there. I like this guy because he isn't trying to monopolize original hardware NES clone consoles. He's a hobbyist (like me) and has cared about his customers from the beginning (like me.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Famicom...h-scanlines-/271976228081?hash=item3f530be4f1

It has no case currently, but is significantly cheaper and new versions promise to have HDMI output!

Khaz

Here's a cool original hardware NES clone from a guy in China. There's plenty of other options out there. I like this guy because he isn't trying to monopolize original hardware NES clone consoles. He's a hobbyist (like me) and has cared about his customers from the beginning (like me.)

It's still using a Famicom CPU, they only have FPGA-cloned the PPU.

geddon_jt

Neo Member
Like Chris, I have been wanting to participate in this thread for many, many weeks but it took forever to get my account activated. Better late than never!

More than anything I appreciate the acknowledgement about the issue concerning no RGB when upgraded to the HDMI adapter. I totally get it, the kevtris board wasn't finished until very late and there are innate incompatibilities that certainly weren't known previously when the HDMI upgrade was advertised as an "External adatper." Probably the best way to have handled it (as I'm sure Chris would agree) is to e-mail the HDMI preorder buyers saying hey, the tech won't allow us to have RGB too. Do you want a refund of the HDMI mod upgrade or do you want to stick with it? Most would have probably still opted for HDMI but then there wouldn't have been such an issue. Finding out a week before your unit arrived after a 15 month wait was a huge bummer :(

That being said I think Chris' post above is fantastic, the solution for the cart scuffing (not a problem for me) is fantastic for those who are having problems, and the composite upgrade for the HDMI units will be fantastic for those who at least want the option to use newer TVs. After having the HDMI unit for a month or so now there is no way in hell I can ever give that up to go RGB... so like a crazy person I just had to order a 2nd Nt for the March shipment so I can have a second one for my PVM :)

Those who don't have one of these should take heed of the general positive response. Look at Chittagong, he was a major critic for months but remains over the moon about his unit. Playing NES games on an HDMI Nt is simply awesome, for sure.

NEOGAF! Quick note of introduction: My name is Christopher Taber, I am the founder of Analogue.

I'm here to address the concerns in this thread. I would've done so sooner, but I was only recently made aware of this thread and it took some time for my account to be activated/username to be changed to my real name.

I'm addressing NEOGAF directly as we have little to no reports of the issues listed here, nor have we experienced the magnitude of outrage exhibited (it's quite shocking). We've experienced virtually nothing but positivity from our customers from the beginning till today.

--

I'd like to start by saying, when it comes to things of this nature, it is important to understand that the internet can be a tyrannical monster, filled with conspiracy theories and speculation.

Though, I do believe it is coming from a good place. I know everybody was excited to get their Nt and it is a result of frustration that we could've eliminated -- and for that, I apologize.

For the record, there is no one from Analogue posting in this thread, other than me. This is my first post on NEOGAF, period. It remains unclear to me how a rumor of an 'employee posting' (Ernest Dorazio) here started, but this is a good example of blatantly reckless and unchecked statements that can quickly lead to misconceptions.

Pre-orders & delays

Regardless of the conspiracy theories and speculation may be found on the internet -- the Nt was indeed finished, in production and planned to ship on our originally announced dates. All of our delays have been honest. The short version: it took time for us to reach our quality demands after we scaled production up. The smallest issues result in weeks and months of delays. This caused us to miss estimated dates and as we focused totally on production obstacles, communication suffered in some areas.

To be clear: the Analogue Nt is not a Kickstarter...an important distinction between a Kickstarter and taking pre-orders: we offer refunds to our customers at anytime. Pre-orders are there simply to 'lock' your place in line, since the Nt is a limited product. Those that are willing to pre-order get the benefit of locking their place in line. If you don't want to pre-order, or for whatever reason you'd like to cancel your pre-order sometime in-between your original order date and when your order ships: you could and can do this at anytime.

There is a reason why virtually all high end aluminum products like this are produced in house, with internally developed infrastructure and guidelines: it is incredibly difficult to manufacture and maintain perfect quality control without developing the process and controlling it entirely. Those that don't usually run into problems, even with manufacturing partners with decades of experience. This is also why most off the cuff anodized products are quite generic when compared to the quality we expect today from aluminum products (Apple).

Our aesthetic requirements are higher than any part any one of our manufacturing partners has ever made.

Now, we had already achieved the quality we were looking for with smaller sample production runs, before mass production - but as it scales up, additional variables are introduced. It can be really maddening.

To meet the quality we required, we had to be there, every step of the way, for every piece of production. Essentially this means we are at the production facilities with our manufacturing partners, through every step, every process.

To give you an idea: there was a running joke with several of our manufacturing partners that we should just open our own factory, since we personally developed our own process and had to be there, working with them, every step of the way.

And that is just the aluminum.

Our PCB's are fabricated with an unusual set of features. It's 2mm black FR4 with 2oz copper and a transparent solder mask. There is only one company who will produce it in the quantities we require, and they produce it once per quarter, and it takes up to 6 weeks to complete. This is only the material the PCB is manufactured with, nothing to do with etching, assembling etc. It's just raw material.

We designed and manufactured a highly unique product, with a demand for quality that requires truly unreasonable legwork to get it right.

Outside of the above -- the other delays were more or less out of our hands (port congestion / port strikes). Needless to say, none of this is anyone's problem but ours. I only hope this provides a little insight into the effort it takes to produce something like this -- and how easily months and months of delays can occur.

When a small team becomes consumed by problems that are of the highest priority -- other areas can lose their sharpness (communication, the finer details etc).

The good news is that we understand exactly where and how we can improve. We've successfully developed a scalable production process and strengthened our relationships with our manufacturing partners. We'll be providing more specific details and creating a more consolidated content release, versus the staggered approach we took before.

In other words, our next production is exceptionally dialed in.

HDMI & RGB

We developed an RGB to HDMI upscaler specifically for the Nt. It was significantly better than any other RGB>HDMI upscaler in its price class, especially since there are none developed specifically for this kind of use (in its price class). There were no problems and it didn't fail. It was developed for use exclusively with the Nt, not any other products or systems. It worked great, but it paled in comparison to the HDMI upgrade you guys are enjoying.

As we we're running into delay after delay, we came across a unique opportunity to provide an almost unbelievably superior solution.

Even though it is several times more expensive than what we had already developed (and we lost all the time and money for development and production) -- the frustration of delay after delay of course upset us too. We wanted to do everything we could to surprise everyone with something beyond expectation - something that made the extended wait even more worth it.

The HDMI upgrade information was provided via an email update to everyone who pre-ordered -- Judging by the emails we received when we showcased these never-before-seen features and most importantly, when your units were finally delivered - we've seen virtually universal acclaim. Needless to say, we're really happy that you guys are as excited about it as we are.

But -- I think you guys are right. We could've elaborated further. I can see that there are a handful of people who feel they were not informed in enough detail about specific things like RGB functionality in conjunction with the HDMI upgrade.

After all the delays, our primary concern was getting your Nt into your hands, so you could see first hand how amazing it actually was -- we could've done a better job explaining and gone into more detail. I apologize for any misunderstanding this has caused.

The good news:

1. If you want your unit to output RGB, we are happy to convert your Nt free of charge. We'll cover shipping both ways.

2. We are in the process of producing a solution to allow HDMI upgraded units to output composite (its already being manufactured now ^^). This will allow you to dual output HDMI and composite (separately, not simultaneously). We'll install this in any Nt owners system, free of charge. ETA: 4-6 weeks.

3. Second production: we're working on implementing composite video directly in the Nt motherboard so every HDMI upgrade unit will be able to output composite, stock.

4. For those interested in their Analogue Nt dual outputting analog and digital: we are investigating development into a 'kit' solution in the future for customers who'd like this 'dual' output option. No promises at this time, but we are exploring all possibilities.

5. If for whatever reason you are unhappy in regards to dual outputting HDMI and RGB, we will accept a return and provide you with a full refund.

Cartridge scuffing

Firstly, to the individuals who have experienced any cartridge scuffing: this truly makes me feel pain. I am deeply sorry you have experienced this.

Fortunately, this seems to be highly isolated -- few people (<5) have reported this experience (on various places on the net). We're not getting reports of people having issues of this nature, it appears to be less than 1% of customers. We have more reports of individuals who have literally tried to scratch their cartridges, and have been unable to do so than those that have experienced the opposite.

To avoid any issues with your Nt, please read the user guide before operating your Nt. All game cartridges should be inserted and removed in a straight, upward and downward motion to avoid any issues.

The good news:

We have solutions for everyone:

1. We're developing an elegant cartridge adapter, for NES & FC (similar to the honeybee adapter except it provides extension only) that will extend the cartridge slot. For those who don't want their games touching anything but your hands and your shelf. This is a pretty cool accessory for collectors, as it totally removes contact from anything except the cartridge connector itself. It is as small as possible and have an acrylic housing. It is already designed and being prototyped now. You can see what it looks like here. We're offering these first and foremost to anyone who has had an issue, free of charge. ETA: 4-6 weeks

2. For the second production: we've beveled the outside and inside of the cartridge slots to reduce any potential issues when a cartridge isn't inserted straight / is rocked etc.

Communication

We quite simply do not have the bandwidth/personnel to respond to every single thread and comment on the internet. The best way to get a hold of us is directly via email at info at analogueinteractive dot com. Please contact us directly and you'll always get a prompt response. We strive to get back to everyone within the same day (within business hours), but sometimes it takes 24-48 hours. As others have noted in this thread, if you email us directly, we'll help! Additionally - we are working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service.

SCART cables

We are aware of the issue with some SCART cables leading to brightness / over saturation. These issues were rectified immediately for each individual who contacted us and for all future SCART cables. If you have this issue and have not contacted us already, please do so and we will provide you with a free replacement cable.

Everdrive compatibly

The Everdrive N8 is now compatible (as of 9/27/15) with firmware v13. You can download the update here.

Castlevania 3 compatibility

We are aware of a compatibility issue with Castlevania 3 with the HDMI upgrade. We think we have found the issue and we'll have a firmware update available asap. Firmware updates can be done through a flash cart (powerpak, everdrive). If you do not have access to these, we will send you a cart to update your system with. We're aiming to put some carts into rotation for users on NEOGAF. We're already in contact with several people posting in this thread. There are no known compatibility issues with the default, RGB version of the Analogue Nt.

&#8203;Connector issues

&#8203;There are no known issues with connectors. 99% of all game issues are solved by cleaning the cartridge pins on your game cartridge. We can redesign the NES/FC to be amazing in all ways - but we can't fix the original perks of the way cartridge connect to the system. The good news is: if you give them a nice clean, your games will run perfectly. If a game will not boot, has glitches, or virtually any other problem - the cartridge pins should be cleaned.

&#8203;User guide

&#8203;&#8203;Please read the user guide online here. It is filled with important information on how to take advantage of all the amazing things your Nt can do.

Where can I find announcements and updates for the above?

We are working on putting up a dynamic support hub on our website for announcements, updates and enhanced customer service. Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too.
Wow, hell of a post. Kudos and thank you! Pretty happy with my NESRGB + FM setup at the moment but will heavily consider whatever you guys have coming next. Do something with the SNES down the line and you'll have my heart forever.

Frostburn

Do something with the SNES down the line and you'll have my heart forever.

Heh didn't need to quote the full post ;)

Anyway I would LOVE AN SNES HDMI console next, the NES was my first system so the NT is perfect for me as an adult but I played a ton of SNES too.

Frostburn

Anyone do a tear down? What are the total cost of parts?

I don't think you are likely to see a tear down for cost on this system like the ifixit team does. The system is a boutique item with a very specific purpose, plus opening the console voids the warranty.

fvng

For a non-mass produced product? What are you curious to know that a tear down would tell you? They've shown off all the internals before.

what are the estimates of cost manufacturing a unit based on the internals they've shown?

StevieWhite

Just saw Chris' post, and I wanted to second the general sentiment - I've loved my HDMI NT so far. The only issue I've had is it not working with the latest Everdrive firmware (which I understand is something that may be fixed via future firmware updates to either the NT or the Everdrive at a later point in time). Analogue's customer support has been extremely helpful. I didn't catch that the HDMI wouldn't have standard RGB out, but that's on me - I didn't read the e-mails they sent me regarding this. When I asked about this, they explained the situation to me and immediately offered me a replacement unit (which I declined). Additionally, they accidentally charged me for a SCART cable, but they gave me a refund within seconds of me pointing out the issue.

The only cart chipping I have experienced is with my stoneage gamer everdrive - which is slightly larger than a normal cart (why I dunno).

In short, the thing works as intended, albeit with some minor hiccups. Sad to see that so many people are in an uproar about this. I got exactly what I paid for.

geddon_jt

Neo Member
what are the estimates of cost manufacturing a unit based on the internals they've shown?

Just curious why this matters, is it a question of value proposition? Here is what we know are the major components of an HDMI Nt, without having to open it up:

Used Famicom for cpu and ppu
Custom machined Pcb with dual cart slots and 4x controller ports, fds interface, multiple other outputs and switches
Custom made anodized aluminum shell
Kevtris custom HIdef NES kit w HDMI port

Let's not forget
Shipping costs for components from overseas
Labor costs for assembly
R&D costs and time

That all adds up very quickly

geddon_jt

Neo Member
FDS = Famicom Disk System... this is a specialized port on the back of the system, has nothing to do with the controller ports.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
FDS = Famicom Disk System... this is a specialized port on the back of the system, has nothing to do with the controller ports.

Which port do you mean? I plugged in my FDS by inserting the RAM adapter (which connects via a cable to the FDS itself) into the Famicom cart slot, and that was the only link between the FDS and the Analogue.

StevieWhite

I believe people are referring to the port labeled "Famicom Expansion Port"

unnamed-e1444235436417.jpg

StevieWhite

I thought the same thing, having never actually used a Famicom. Aside from Famicom controllers, is there any particular reason you'd want that port?

Decider

I thought the same thing, having never actually used a Famicom. Aside from Famicom controllers, is there any particular reason you'd want that port?
It's a legacy connection. At the risk of stating the obvious, it allowed third-party controllers (like joysticks) to connect to the system. Nintendo's own controllers were hardwired on the original model.

Neo Member
On the HDMI version, is there still analogue audio output? With or without VRC6 for Akumaj&#333; Densetsu (&#24746;&#39764;&#22478;&#20253;&#35500;/Dracula's Curse)?

If there isn't, what are your suggestions for hooking it up to a DVI monitor (that doesn't have audio) and getting audio out somehow without lag? Am I going to need some sorta splitter for HDMI with a DAC?

This is sort of a stopgap measure because that's all I have right now, I don't have a TV.
The last time I had a TV, I had it specifically for my mom's old European PAL NES, that was the only thing I had hooked up to it. I couldn't get any TV channels where I lived back then, in the mid 00:s.

Neo Member
Oh, and can it do 4:3? Sorry, I don't really know how HDMI works, let alone this particular implementation.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh, and can it do 4:3? Sorry, I don't really know how HDMI works, let alone this particular implementation.

Yeah it basically outputs original NES aspect ratio by default. So on a 16:9 display you have black on both sides. There is an option to stretch the image horizontally to any width in the Kevtris menu, though not sure why anyone would.

Neo Member
Thank you, but will it work on a 4:3 display? I guess that's what Kevtris has in this video, though. So it probably works. Sorry to be so clueless about HDMI stuff.

I don't have any widescreen monitors and if I end up getting one just for NES, I'd probably look for something that fit its old-style aspect ratio. I don't have any other consoles outside of handhelds.

BTails

So, I'm thinking of preordering one for these, and was wondering what my best bet would be: RGB or HDMI? I have a Framemeister already, but I love the idea of having direct digital HDMI.

The main sticking point I think would be scanlines, how do they look with the HDMI out? Are they decent, or would I be better getting RGB and running through the Framemeister?

TSM

Thank you, but will it work on a 4:3 display? I guess that's what Kevtris has in this video, though. So it probably works. Sorry to be so clueless about HDMI stuff.

I don't have any widescreen monitors and if I end up getting one just for NES, I'd probably look for something that fit its old-style aspect ratio. I don't have any other consoles outside of handhelds.

It has a 480p HDMI mode. This means as long as your 4:3 TV can accept 480p over HDMI then you can in fact display 4:3 on it. I'm not sure if you have to go in and stretch the image or if it will just display the image without pillar boxing.

StevieWhite

So, I'm thinking of preordering one for these, and was wondering what my best bet would be: RGB or HDMI? I have a Framemeister already, but I love the idea of having direct digital HDMI.

The main sticking point I think would be scanlines, how do they look with the HDMI out? Are they decent, or would I be better getting RGB and running through the Framemeister?

The scanlines are highly customizable. I think they are on par with the framemeister...certainly easier to play around with. I took some video, will post later.

D.Lo

Scan lines will never look correct in 1080, because it isn't an integer multiple of 240. They will always be uneven.

720 is however an integer multiple, so scan lines can be every third line.

Until we get higher res screens and software to support them, 720p is the best way to use emulated scaliness.

StevieWhite

Scan lines will never look correct in 1080, because it isn't an integer multiple of 240. They will always be uneven.

720 is however an integer multiple, so scan lines can be every third line.

Until we get higher res screens and software to support them, 720p is the best way to use emulated scaliness.

Typically, I prefer 720 as well. Forgot to save my settings and the system defaults to 1080. That being said, thought the 1080 scanlines looked just fine.

Top Bottom