• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay footage (showing new gameplay mechanics)

dralla

I'm not sure about the new energy system. I don't like the idea of removing parts of the energy bar. Guess we need to see how it's all balanced.

Dennis

Banned
Garish outlines around interacteable objects is grossing me out.

Visible HUD elements is grossing me out.

Graphics looked OK but due the settings we saw hard to say for sure.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
The new cover system, the Icarus dash and remote hacking seem very useful for a pacifist playthrough. Not sure if I like the new energy system though.

CHC

Almost certain you can turn that shit off like in Human Revolution, thank god.

The minimap wasn't doing it for me either, I hate minimaps in general frankly.

Kezen

Banned

Graphics look very nice (notice the POM on the ground), and this is only the console versions.
Don't forget this :
AMD_Gaming_evolved-300x254.png

We can look forward to graphical goodies on PC along with DX12 support.

Looking good. I like that the cover system gives you quite a bit of range for the "move to this cover" maneuver. Other games have that feature but it's usually only directly in front of you. And if the Icarus Dash is essentially a modified Blink from Dishonored, I'm not gonna complain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The new hacking strikes me as an unfortunately lazy and less interesting solution to HR's hacking crutch. Being able to hack cameras on the fly hurts the metagame of trying to find and access security terminals.

It's looking good and I'm excited, but I hope this doesn't walk the path of so many sequels where solving its predecessor's problems boils down to making game systems overly accessible, with an abundance of trinkets, gear, and powers to solve all your problems. The Oblivion/Skyrim problem, basically, where it doesn't matter what your build is because your build will include some tool to easily solve every problem.

prag16

Banned
I'm not sure about the new energy system. I don't like the idea of removing parts of the energy bar. Guess we need to see how it's all balanced.

Agree, we'll have to see how it's balanced and what the specific mechanics are in terms of which abilities do/don't remove chunks of the bar, etc. But what I know for sure is that the HR battery system was pretty annoying. They'd be hard pressed to make it more annoying than that.

Game looks great. Can't wait.

SJRB

Gold Member

HR's energy system was fundamentally flawed because it has the "but what if I need it later" syndrome. I want to use an ability, but what if I run out of juice and energy bars when I need it later?

Also, knocking out enemies shouldn't require energy.

Despera

Banned
While I'm mostly loving the general aesthetic and new additions to the gameplay, it seems like Adam has a few abilities at his disposal this time around that could potentially make the game a little too easy. Hope they figured out a way to balance things out with tougher/trickier enemies the farther you are in the game and cameras that can't be hacked via a remote control :p

Sanctuary

Hopefully the augment system is better thought out this time. In the last game, it almost didn't matter what kind of playstyle you were aiming for, you'd always want the same augments regardless, and over half of them were pretty much useless. Before the game was even half finished too, you could have everything that mattered.

Dennis

Banned
The game will probably end up being too easy. With especially the endgame being a cakewalk.

This is the really the biggest problem I have with modern gaming:

Too easy, no belief in player resilience in overcoming obstacles, guiding the player by the hand.

For me, games like this should be rock hard because the tension that creates during the gameplay is paramount to my enjoyment.

BlackRock

The new hacking strikes me as an unfortunately lazy and less interesting solution to HR's hacking crutch. Being able to hack cameras on the fly hurts the metagame of trying to find and access security terminals.

It's looking good and I'm excited, but I hope this doesn't walk the path of so many sequels where solving its predecessor's problems boils down to making game systems overly accessible, with an abundance of trinkets, gear, and powers to solve all your problems. The Oblivion/Skyrim problem, basically, where it doesn't matter what your build is because your build will include some tool to easily solve every problem.

Hopefully the remote hacking is just a very temporary disable - like using the taser gun on the cameras was in HR. That way hacking security terminals still has the big pay off of totally disabling cameras as well as robots.

I don't like how this game looks.
Something is just off about it. It looks old and outdated, but not in terms of textures or effects (even though these car explosion looked quite disappointing). I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's animation and character models. But I'm not sure.

CHC

Levels looks way cool. Glad we're going to some "old" places - looked like Germany or something? Human Revolution was often sterile, felt like everything was built the same year. It's cool to see old buildings refitted with new technology, like in Deus Ex 1.

GavinUK86

DerZuhälter;181058236 said:
Something is just off about it. It looks old and outdated, but not in terms of textures or effects (even though these car explosion looked quite disappointing). I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's animation and character models. But I'm not sure.

The only thing I dislike is the font they're using. It's looks horrible.

Vitor711

Was that a dishonored style blink I saw in the attacking/hacking video?! And they got rid of the *awful* battery system that made playing stealth a frickin' chore?

I'm so in.

tuxfool

Banned
DerZuhälter;181058236 said:

eh?

The car explosions seem to be using low resolution alpha effects. Ultimately, I think that is the correct solution for consoles and weaker PCs. So many games are struggling with an abundance of alpha effects.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hopefully the remote hacking is just a very temporary disable - like using the taser gun on the cameras was in HR. That way hacking security terminals still has the big pay off of totally disabling cameras as well as robots.

Hopefully. I just don't want that regression, where Jensen has a solution for every moment-to-moment problem built into his augs, as it deteriorates the larger "levels as puzzles" style of design. The blink style move worries me for the same reason; navigating terrain is a challenge that can have multiple solutions based on augs, builds, and player skill. Blinking up to a ledge is a one stop solution for everyone, and it's boring. So far they're showing off a lot of combat and stealth and I don't have any concerns about those because I liked both enough in Human Revolution. I want to learn more about the levels themselves, and the hubs.

So I should probably read the preview :p

Truth

Also, nice to see it adapting a bit more of a OG Deus Ex color palette (^______^)

Levels looks way cool. Glad we're going to some "old" places - looked like Germany or something? Human Revolution was often sterile, felt like everything was built the same year. It's cool to see old buildings refitted with new technology, like in Deus Ex 1.

Prague! As well as Dubai. Great location choices.

EatChildren

In short, the combination of controls that are more responsive and energy management that is less punishing made risk-taking more attractive, opening up the freedom of approach that is central to the series’ core philosophy. I was reminded of another sequel – Bioshock 2’s improved access to Plasmids, which encouraged experimental play as opposed to the original’s restrictive swapping and changing.

This is what I was worried about. Deus Ex was never about risk free experimentation. It was the exact opposite.

Glass

Yeah I'm really excited for Dubai, awesome location for a game. It looks crazy enough in 2015, wonder what they've done with it for 2029.

Red Hood

Banned
I soooo want to watch it, but I promised myself to start a media black-out after the great E3 première demo....

WHAT SHOULD I DO

CHC

Prague! As well as Dubai. Great location choices.

Yeah definitely. I like Human Revolution but the locations blended together a lot. Hengsha was obviously the crown jewel of the game, but everything else felt kind of the same - maybe thanks to the yellow filter shared by every location in the game. Glad to see some variation in color and architecture here.

Top Bottom