• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel's Kero Blaster is finally coming to Steam

Aeana

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292500

Pixel's (Cave Story) new game that came out for PC/iOS last year is finally making its way to Steam on November 11th!

duckroll

Nice. I beat the Overtime Mode they just added on Sunday, and I'm super happy with the extra content. It's not just harder, but a totally new story campaign, with remixed stages and boss patterns, and the final stage is completely new with 4 brand new bosses. Great stuff. The original game felt a little thin on content, but with the new stuff it's definitely a pretty substantial package now.

So erm, will those of us who previously bought it on Playism get Steam keys?

Psxphile

Going by that Steam page, it almost sounds like they were waiting for the game content to be sufficient (?) with the release of ZANGYOU Mode before putting it on Steam.

Guess I'll grab it. Though I really should finish Cave Story first.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yes! We got you covered.

Excellent, I was baffled at this not being in Steam originally

It was mostly so Pixel could finish Zangyou mode for the Steam release. We've wanted to release it for ages. Believe me!

Nice, dat Playism deal ends!

We're the publisher, bro. ;)

Finally. I wonder if they will package it along with Pink Hour.

We've got good news for you coming super soon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wow, that's unexpected.

Expect the unexpected! That's not code for anything.

Actually, we've got a cool little surprise coming soon (in about 2 weeks).

Tizoc

Expect the unexpected! That's not code for anything.

Actually, we've got a cool little surprise coming soon (in about 2 weeks).

Part of me felt you wouldn't offer a Steam key, but the rational part of me said 'of course tey'd offer a steam key, they did for my other purchases'

thetrin

It's a mobile game by heart. I can't imagine it feeling right on PC.

You'd be surprised. When we showed it off at PAX East, Pixel had a Famicom replica controller hooked up, and it played like an absolute dream. I played through it with a 360 controller, and thought it was just fine, but I do think it plays better with a controller with a decent d-pad.

Lain

Wow, that's unexpected.

I wouldn't really say unexpected. Playism has been pretty good at handing out steam keys to previous buyers of their releases, once those games make their way on Steam. It's a pretty cool thing about buying from them.
Though I guess it is unexpected in that other publishers usually don't do it.

LewieP

It was mostly so Pixel could finish Zangyou mode for the Steam release. We've wanted to release it for ages. Believe me!

Cool. Maybe I missed any announcement, but perhaps in future it would be better to at least mention when you have plans to bring a game to Steam, even if you don't have a timeframe nailed down.

thetrin

Cool. Maybe I missed any announcement, but perhaps in future it would be better to at least mention when you have plans to bring a game to Steam, even if you don't have a timeframe nailed down.

I hear you, but Japanese developers are notoriously secretive, and there's little we can do to change their minds. He really wanted to keep it under wraps until it was ready to announce.

LewieP

I hear you, but Japanese developers are notoriously secretive, and there's little we can do to change their minds. He really wanted to keep it under wraps until it was ready to announce.

Interesting. It's probably been detrimental to the game's success, but I guess it's his call.

Maybe sitting on the game until it was completed would have been the preferable option. Deliberately keeping customers in the dark over crucial information regarding buying your game is never a good strategy.

duckroll

I'm sad that there is zero discussion about this game anywhere. Overtime Mode was really great. Way better than the original campaign in terms of level design, and I really like the changes made to some of the bosses.

In particular I really liked that
this time the pudding rocket mech boss has been swapped from an underwater battle to a ground battle, which requires more dodging and it just felt like a more substantial battle, even with upgraded weapons. The additions of the penguin cart in the gameplay later in the game is a neat surprise too. :D

Also, the new final stage and bosses in it are super, duper awesome. I also noticed that this time the new scenario was by Kiyoko Kawanaka as well. The story tone definitely felt more like Pink Hour and Pink Heaven. Would still want a full game featuring the pink office lady though. Two free demos are not enough! :p

Yes! We got you covered.

Yay!

GaussTek

O M G!! YESSSS, finally!!

Yes! We got you covered.

I love you guys <3

Kyuur

Awesome news! Hopefully this helps get more people's hand on the game, its amazing.

Nice. I beat the Overtime Mode they just added on Sunday, and I'm super happy with the extra content. It's not just harder, but a totally new story campaign, with remixed stages and boss patterns, and the final stage is completely new with 4 brand new bosses. Great stuff. The original game felt a little thin on content, but with the new stuff it's definitely a pretty substantial package now.

Whaaattttt!? Time to go back and play asap.

Feels just fine on PC.

Sounds like a really good excuse to play through again in preparation for tackling the new mode! Are Pink Hour and Pink Heaven going to be bundled in, or do I need to make sure I keep copies of those around elsewhere?

Part of me felt you wouldn't offer a Steam key, but the rational part of me said 'of course tey'd offer a steam key, they did for my other purchases'

I bought this game on day one (approximately) and thetrin promised me beforehand that if they ever someday had a Steam release I'd get a key, so I would have been mildly miffed otherwise!

It's a run-and-gun action-platformer with precise controls. Don't let a (pretty strong) custom control scheme for phone convince you that it plays anything but buttery smooth on PC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait, this had a PC release all along? I thought it was iOS exclusive :lol. Glad it's coming to Steam. Pixel deserves my money

celebi23

Yes! We got you covered.

Woooo!! Will the steam key show up on our playism account page?

For the Mac people out there, Kero Blaster, Pink Hour & Pink Heaven all run great via Wineskin (a Wine wrapper app)

BiggNife

sörine;181651206 said:
Will buy (again!). I hope Nicalis doesn't sleep too long on that 3DS port.

I would love for that 3DS port to be real but IIRC it hasn't been mentioned at all except for Tyrone teasing it once on twitter. I am guessing it was in the cards at one point but fell through.

But yes I will totally buy this now. I've been meaning to do it for a while but I keep forgetting since it's only on Playism's site which I never visit.

Saw there was an update on Twitter about it and was reminded why I never picked it up. Will buy from Playism if the price is the same.

celebi23

Turns out that there are steam keys showing up on your playism account games list (hit the Download button next to Kero Blaster).

I've been looking forward to this for a long time and have only heard good things about it. I had almost forgotten about it, so this is great news.

duckroll

I would love for that 3DS port to be real but IIRC it hasn't been mentioned at all except for Tyrone teasing it once on twitter. I am guessing it was in the cards at one point but fell through.

The 3DS demo they had way back was for Gero Blaster. That's an older (but similar) game which Pixel was working on alone. Eventually he wasn't happy with it and canned it. The assets and concept were repurposed into Kero Blaster which is a game he made with Kiyoko Kawanaka, another indie dev. She's the one who does all the level design and planning, while Pixel handled the programming, graphics, music, etc. So I'm not sure if there'll still be a 3DS version of this.

It's worth noting that Tyrone -is- in the Special Thanks section of the credits for the updated version of Kero Blaster though.

GaussTek

Turns out that there are steam keys showing up on your playism account games list (hit the Download button next to Kero Blaster).

OMG, that's true! Wasn't expecting it to show up so soon.

So yes, Kero Blaster is now on my Steam game's list, just waiting to be unlocked next month <3

Top Bottom