• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

Have you played the game? Your FOB's can be attacked when you're offline and then your only choice is to retaliate. And you can only retaliate if the player fucked up during his infiltration.

you really don't have to retaliate at all. you can largely ignore the FOB stuff. and not very many soldiers or resources can be taken from you. all you have to do is..

• only build the one small command platform they force you to build after ep 22
  • direct contract all of your highest end soldiers
  • develop security items as you go and buff up security on your one platform

one small command platform does not offer very much to a potential invader. they can't take fuel and any other precious resources.

i'm not defending the practices of the game, nor konami (or kojima for that matter depending on how much of this is him), but again, you can largely ignore the FOB stuff. i've done over 150+ hours of the game. i've been invaded 4 times. and probably lost a small handful of A or better soldiers. you can get that back in one outpost out in the field. the people saying this has a huge effect on the single player experience, either (A) built up a huge FOB and got their shit took, or (B) haven't played the game all that much, or (C) became heavily reliant on selling turrets and other resources for money (which i still don't think is that big of a deal)

It's pretty easy to get supporters and support other people and it's all benefit. You get a ridiculous amount of gmp for defending a supporter and more often than not you don't even have to do anything. I'm also pretty sure you can retaliate against both successful and unsuccessful infiltrations.

You can only retaliate if they're caught, aka base goes on alert. They can still have a successful infiltration.

I have at least 12 supporters. Feels good.

RK9039

We need a tax haven guys.

EGRkdmL.gif

This is the worst MGS game thanks to Konami

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Y'know, I was thinking about it, and honestly, it's not the worst. Frankly, its beneficial to just get that FOB up and running and put a little time into it - your Mother Base is only generating resources and GMP when you're playing the game. The FOB is tied to the server and is generating resources and GMP 24/7 - now I have like 7000+ precious metals when before I only had like 2000PM max because I was constantly selling it off to order new research. When I've been invaded the losses have been pretty damn negligible and it's a pretty fair tradeoff considering how quickly that thing is pumping up your numbers.
What in the heck even is this game? I though Peace Walker was crap but at least there all the grinding was ballooning people into space and finding blueprints iirc. Now theres materials and ya need a ton of 'em ta basically get any new stuffs? This is not MGS. They shoulda pulled a Rising an took Solid outta the games title an called it something else.

you really don't have to retaliate at all. you can largely ignore the FOB stuff. and not very many soldiers or resources can be taken from you. all you have to do is..

• only build the one small command platform they force you to build after ep 22
  • direct contract all of your highest end soldiers
  • develop security items as you go and buff up security on your one platform

one small command platform does not offer very much to a potential invader. they can't take fuel and any other precious resources.

i'm not defending the practices of the game, nor konami (or kojima for that matter depending on how much of this is him), but again, you can largely ignore the FOB stuff. i've done over 150+ hours of the game. i've been invaded 4 times. and probably lost a small handful of A or better soldiers. you can get that back in one outpost out in the field. the people saying this has a huge effect on the single player experience, either (A) built up a huge FOB and got their shit took, or (B) haven't played the game all that much, or (C) became heavily reliant on selling turrets and other resources for money (which i still don't think is that big of a deal)

Yeah I'm with you. I've not bought any MB coins, been invaded twice, once successfully though they didn't reach my core and once they were killed.

I honestly believe the effect of invasions on my single player experience has been tiny but the effect of me owning an FOB has been significant. I'm not massively resource constrained. I would caveat it slightly by saying they could absolutely ruin the single player through FOB if they wanted to but as it stands I feel like people are claiming this will have a significant effect without having played the game for a decent period.

What in the heck even is this game? I though Peace Walker was crap but at least there all the grinding was ballooning people into space and finding blueprints iirc. Now theres materials and ya need a ton of 'em ta basically get any new stuffs? This is not MGS. They shoulda pulled a Rising an took Solid outta the games title an called it something else.

it's not that much different from peace walker. i don't think i even pulled up the resources tab at all until i was already 100+ hours into the game

Ashura_MX

Have you played the game? Your FOB's can be attacked when you're offline and then your only choice is to retaliate. And you can only retaliate if the player fucked up during his infiltration.

Except not, you can just beef up security and carry on your merry way.

KTO

Yeah I'm with you. I've not bought any MB coins, been invaded twice, once successfully though they didn't reach my core and once they were killed.

I honestly believe the effect of invasions on my single player experience has been tiny but the effect of me owning an FOB has been significant. I'm not massively resource constrained. I would caveat it slightly by saying they could absolutely ruin the single player through FOB if they wanted to but as it stands I feel like people are claiming this will have a significant effect without having played the game for a decent period.

I have like 1100 staff on my MB and all my teams still aren't at lvl 50. Trying to get teams to lv. 50 without an FOB would be stupid when the MB alone caps at 700.

it's not that much different from peace walker. i don't think i even pulled up the resources tab at all until i was already 100+ hours into the game

The resources are only really required for platform construction. Higher level equipment development requires it too but even then, It's something like 2000 common metal or fuel to develop that stuff

J.EM1

I have like 1100 staff on my MB and all my teams still aren't at lvl 50. Trying to get teams to lv. 50 without an FOB would be stupid when the MB alone caps at 700.
I'm capped at 700 staff, don't have an FOB, and all my teams are past level 50. Of course, I had to grind and do a lot of heroic things to get to this point.

I can't believe people are still freaking out about the FOB structure. It was a bad design choice, but inconsequential to the point where it doesn't actually matter that the game forces you to build one. A lot of this seems very knee-jerk to me.

I can't believe people are still freaking out about the FOB structure. It was a bad design choice, but inconsequential to the point where it doesn't actually matter that the game forces you to build one. A lot of this seems very knee-jerk to me.
They patched the game to literally tax you if you try to go offline and ignore the FOB shit. How is this a knee jerk reaction?

Hansel

Banned

Did you see the post above yours?

Toparaman

Banned
I'm glad declining the Terms and Conditions works as a work-around. I've been declining it nearly every time since release day because there's some weird shit in those terms. Like for example, it says Konami can delete your save at their own discretion.

for anyone that goes negative for their MB money... are equal amounts being added to your FOB money? is the value you lose ever the same?

^yeah and it's even worse consider they added RMT insurance which obviously they want people to buy, so the 'putting your resources online' and then say 'hey, those are nice resources... would hate to see you lose them ... by the way, would you like to buy some insurance?'

while at the same time basically selling fuel and S+ rank soldiers via the Online Combat Deployments that are practically pointless to complete naturally and are basically balanced that way to encourage you to use RMT to finish them instantly.

I love the Mother Base system and I even really liked FOBs and Invasions... And I still think the game is more fun if you do use FOBs than to try avoid them.... But the new patch was pretty darn sketchy and blatant in its RMT/Online promotion.

KTO

while at the same time basically selling fuel and S+ rank soldiers via the Online Combat Deployments that are practically pointless to complete naturally and are basically balanced that way to encourage you to use RMT to finish them instantly.

I wish all deployments and research etc. worked like those deployments though. Real time >> game time.

sonicmj1

When the game first launched, I put up with the FOB system because it was pretty impossible to ignore if you wanted to get into the late-game advancements. I built it out enough that invasions against it tended to fail, and I poked around with whatever I felt like doing as I gradually moved towards the end of the tech tree, cursing the required resource grind as I did so. I didn't like all the built-in timewasting inherent in the post-game grind, but I tolerated it.

The October 6 patch is so anti-player that I haven't touched the game since. This stuff is tedious enough as is without the game going out of its way to penalize people who don't want to play online or who get disconnected, in order to try to rope a few more players into its stupid microtransaction minigame hidden inside a $60 retail product. Fuck that shit. I don't see how it's excusable when Konami is the one that controls what can be stolen, what rewards players get from base invasions, and how many resources players can hold. They're not doing anyone a favor with this.

Vagrant

Whether the game is playable with this bullshit the doesn't change how shitty this is. I like FOB gameplay, I never lost anything worthwhile in invasions, but that doesn't change that this is extremely shitty. Putting freemium-esque protection money microstransactions in a 60 dollar game is terrible. Penalizing people for playing offline to avoid dealing with it via bait-and-switch patches is abominable. I wouldn't blame anyone for not buying this game new because of it, even if I do think it's GOTY in spite of Konami's meddling.

I like the real time part... just the duration/reward balance is obviously imbalanced on purpose to promote use of RMT (MB Coins). Even before the patch but more so with the new S+ reward ones

btw... sort of a // PSA // ... game just patched this...

the OP 'tax', that is. so maybe it was a bug

the patch notes just said the balance between online and offline resources was fixed.
so.... guess we'll see if it's working correctly now or people still go negative

//edit// there is definitely something buggy about it. i logged in and I had about 4.9m GMP and my fuel said MB -20k FOB +52k

1. i disconnect and my GMP drops to just 90k or so... so, -4m GMP on MB and +4m GMP on FOB, but my MB fuel goes from -20k to about +5k
2. I go online, and my GMP is back to 4.9m, but my fuel says the same... total though about +52K
3. I disconnect a second time... but my GMP goes down (90% moves online) but my fuel stayed the same

the total GMP never changed and total Fuel changed once... online after I did the FOB upgrade, my total was about 32K (-20K + 52K) but then I refresh the connection and it went up to 52K... and the individual amounts on MB and FOB fuel or GMP changed 3x times and the 'tax' (which is actually just a transfer) fixed itself and disappeared

so... maybe the new patch fixed the balance transfer, and it seems like relogging a couple times changes it, too (uploading a video but the numbers are definitely right)

//edit2// i think the game has a updating problem where it allows you to spend based on your total X but it deducts it from just your MB amount.... so, I just did a FOB upgrade. I had enough between my MB and FOB fuel... but the -FOB Upgrade expense (fuel) apply ONLY to my MB amount. so, instead of reducing my MB amount to 0 and then my FOB amount... or equally reducing the MB and FOB amount... it just applied a straight FOB Upgrade expense to the MB amount which caused my MB fuel to go to -20k and my FOB fuel to sit at +52K... exactly 52,032 (which is the exact deduction because before the FOB upgrade my total was 78,032)

but then I go online/offline a couple times... and though my MB amount changed to about 5K and FOB amount to 45K.... know the total amount? exactly 52,032

so, the way the game makes deductions and 'lags' (or delays until the next time you re-connect/refresh online) your balance... it can cause you to go temporarily negative (because it's just deducting the total sum from 1 account, basically). but if you go force yourself offline... the game is letting you spend based on your total MB and FOB amount, but the expense is a single credit.. so, it forces your first account into the negative until you refresh your offline/online accounts.

point being, one potential source is that some of these reported negative amounts could be because the game says, e.g., OK, you temporarily went online for a second and we see you have 100K GMP... so it let's you spend 100K GMP. But if your MB GMP is 20K and your FOB GMP is 80K... your MB GMP goes to -60K until the game re-balances its credits and debts by refreshing your online/offline accounts. or something. it clearly seems a bit buggy, too, as evident by today's hotfix. but i think there's something being caused by the constant offline/online that basically interferes with how the game deducts GMP/resource expenses and updates your MB/FOB accounts.

//edit3// just confirmed this is what happens for GMP too. so, the new patch basically makes 10% of your GMP stay at MB and the other 90% at your FOB. I'm not sure how often this updates but it's not every time you go online. so, after today's patch, I had 4.8M GMP. I go offline, and my GMP becomes 480K (exactly 10%). However.... the SP game still let's me spend GMP based on my total amount. So, I go and do a 1.2M weapon upgrade even though I only have 480K and my GMP becomes -720,000.

If I reconnect online, I'm back to 3.6 (4.8m - 1.2m). But if I offline, I am stuck at -720,000 because the game deducts ALL expenses from JUST your MB account....

So basically the game can let you overspend but it only charges those overdraft expenses to your offline account, basically indebting your offline account to your online account.

And if you do any spending online... you won't even realize that your offline account is so negative until you actually go offline. If that is some time later, you may have no idea why you are suddenly so negative.

If you're online, you won't even realize it ...as far as you see, you're just spending from your total 4.8M GMP... but behind-the-scenes, you have 2 accounts, and that -1.2m expense was applied to JUST your offline MB amount, causing your offline amount to go to -720,000 but leaving your online amount unchanged. But all you see is your TOTAL amount still at 3.6M. But soon as you go offline, bam, you suddenly realize you're offline amount of just 480K is now -720K.

This would explain why some people are reporting rather large amounts of 'negative GMP' that is 'sudden and unexplained,' and are otherwise seemingly far too high to be Invasion or Transfer related. It would also explain the confusion because if you do the spending 1 moment or 1 day, and then go offline another day, only then does the negative offline account become apparent -- and you would probably have no idea why.

Nothing is missing, nothing is taxed, everything is correct if you're online. But if you're offline, because of how the game transfers, updates, and otherwise charges your accounts... it can basically leave you in the red until it 'refreshes' with your online account.

This is in addition to possible bugs (e.g. I just did a FOB upgrade the clearly undercharged me and I magically have an extra 50,000 fuel, and I recorded the whole thing so the numbers are right), and also delays in updating, transferring, syncing your MB/FOB accounts (e.g. everything I wrote about above, which I also recorded in its entirety), and then also today's hotfix which 'changed how much GMP/Resources are store offline and online'.

//last edit probably :O sorry I fixed the links too// these are the 3 videos that show everything above... they are boring, full of me looking at unrelated menus, etc... but it's pure unedited gameplay footage if you want to check any numbers. i've had to edit a few to make sure everything is right, and i'm still trying to understand everything so I'm not sure if I really 'got it' yet... but, anyhow, they're here if anyone cares to look at boring stuff haha, so...1. this video shows the incorrect fuel charge, the negative offline fuel and x total fuel (so basically how the game credits all expenses to your offline account first) and, 2. this video shows it updating, and then even increasing (still incorrect based on what it should have been after my FOB upgrade in the first video) and lastly, (3.) this video shows should show the same thing for GMP, with an expense being a credit to just your offline GMP, which is why my GMP looks fine online but is massively in the red offline -- it charged the weapon upgrade to JUST my offline GMP total which is which is why it went from 480K to -720K. i'm still trying to figure this all out and make sure i got all the numbers right so feel free to test it yourself or point out any errors you find.

koryuken

Good grief. Thank god I finished the game right before the patch, because this looks almost unplayable if you want to avoid the FOB nonsense. Fuck Konami.

Same. Saw all the endings, won't be playing this shit no more.

After reading this thread, lol Holy fuck. This is like if Dark Souls had invasion insurance and would take most of your souls away if you played offline.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wish all deployments and research etc. worked like those deployments though. Real time >> game time.

Completely agree with this. The minute I saw those online CDs, I thought to myself "er...wait. Why doesn't all the R&D/CD work like this?"

Then I realized that making it work that way would promote playing less of the game, while making it game time forces people to keep playing.

I like the real time part... just the duration/reward balance is obviously imbalanced on purpose to promote use of RMT (MB Coins). Even before the patch but more so with the new S+ reward ones

btw... sort of a // PSA // ... game just patched this...

the OP 'tax', that is. so maybe it was a bug

the patch notes just said the balance between online and offline resources was fixed.
so.... guess we'll see if it's working correctly now or people still go negative

//edit// there is definitely something buggy about it. i logged in and I had about 4.9m GMP and my fuel said MB -20k FOB +52k

1. i disconnect and my GMP drops to just 90k or so... so, -4m GMP on MB and +4m GMP on FOB, but my MB fuel goes from -20k to about +5k
2. I go online, and my GMP is back to 4.9m, but my fuel says the same... total though about +52K
3. I disconnect a second time... but my GMP goes down (90% moves online) but my fuel stayed the same

the total GMP never changed and total Fuel changed once... online after I did the FOB upgrade, my total was about 32K (-20K + 52K) but then I refresh the connection and it went up to 52K... and the individual amounts on MB and FOB fuel or GMP changed 3x times and the 'tax' (which is actually just a transfer) fixed itself and disappeared

so... maybe the new patch fixed the balance transfer, and it seems like relogging a couple times changes it, too (uploading a video but the numbers are definitely right)

//edit2// i think the game has a updating problem where it allows you to spend based on your total X but it deducts it from just your MB amount.... so, I just did a FOB upgrade. I had enough between my MB and FOB fuel... but the -FOB Upgrade expense (fuel) apply ONLY to my MB amount. so, instead of reducing my MB amount to 0 and then my FOB amount... or equally reducing the MB and FOB amount... it just applied a straight FOB Upgrade expense to the MB amount which caused my MB fuel to go to -20k and my FOB fuel to sit at +52K... exactly 52,032 (which is the exact deduction because before the FOB upgrade my total was 78,032)

but then I go online/offline a couple times... and though my MB amount changed to about 5K and FOB amount to 45K.... know the total amount? exactly 52,032

so, the way the game makes deductions and 'lags' (or delays until the next time you re-connect/refresh online) your balance... it can cause you to go temporarily negative (because it's just deducting the total sum from 1 account, basically). but if you go force yourself offline... the game is letting you spend based on your total MB and FOB amount, but the expense is a single credit.. so, it forces your first account into the negative until you refresh your offline/online accounts.

point being, one potential source is that some of these reported negative amounts could be because the game says, e.g., OK, you temporarily went online for a second and we see you have 100K GMP... so it let's you spend 100K GMP. But if your MB GMP is 20K and your FOB GMP is 80K... your MB GMP goes to -60K until the game re-balances its credits and debts by refreshing your online/offline accounts. or something. it clearly seems a bit buggy, too, as evident by today's hotfix. but i think there's something being caused by the constant offline/online that basically interferes with how the game deducts GMP/resource expenses and updates your MB/FOB accounts.

//edit3// just confirmed this is what happens for GMP too. so, the new patch basically makes 10% of your GMP stay at MB and the other 90% at your FOB. I'm not sure how often this updates but it's not every time you go online. so, after today's patch, I had 4.8M GMP. I go offline, and my GMP becomes 480K (exactly 10%). However.... the SP game still let's me spend GMP based on my total amount. So, I go and do a 1.2M weapon upgrade even though I only have 480K and my GMP becomes -720,000.

If I reconnect online, I'm back to 3.6 (4.8m - 1.2m). But if I offline, I am stuck at -720,000 because the game deducts ALL expenses from JUST your MB account....

So basically the game can let you overspend but it only charges those overdraft expenses to your offline account, basically indebting your offline account to your online account.

Furthermore, if you're online, you won't even realize it ...as far as you see, you're just spending from your total 4.8M GMP... but behind-the-scenes, you have 2 accounts, and that -1.2m expense was applied to JUST your offline MB amount, causing your offline amount to go to -720,000 but leaving your online amount unchanged. But all you see is your TOTAL amount still at 3.6M. But soon as you go offline, bam, you suddenly realize you're offline amount of just 480K is now -720K.

This would explain the rather large amounts of 'negative GMP' that are seemingly far too high to be Invasion or Transfer related. It would also explain the confusion because if you do the spending 1 moment or 1 day, and then go offline another day, only then does the negative offline account become apparent -- and you would probably have no idea why.

Nothing is missing, nothing is taxed, everything is correct if you're online. But if you're offline, because of how the game transfers, updates, and otherwise charges your accounts... it can basically leave you in the red until it 'refreshes' with your online account.

This is in addition to possible bugs (e.g. I just did a FOB upgrade the clearly undercharged me and I magically have an extra 50,000 fuel, and I recorded the whole thing so the numbers are right), and also delays in updating, transferring, syncing your MB/FOB accounts (e.g. everything I wrote about above, which I also recorded in its entirety), and then also today's hotfix which 'changed how much GMP/Resources are store offline and online'.

Thanks for digging deep into this. Still a pretty shitty system.

yeah it's a whole lot of fuckery for a system with basically no gameplay value

and there could have been simpler, more direct and less confusing ways to to promote playing online... hell, even having separate MB and FOB resource accounts for resources earned from SP or MP was OK but a bit confusing... having specific 'better end-game' rewards for MP play would work and certainly be a lot more obvious and less 'forced', even... make Level 6 weapons only buildable online... make S rank soldiers only recruitable online... still kind unfair but at least they're blatant, and simple and less prone to bugs or confusion, and at least don't confuse/screw over offline folk... faster automatic mining online, top tier intel or support requiring a FOB, etc.

but this new transfer system is just fuckery... and i'm not even 100% sure yet if I've fully understood it yet. maybe i've made a mistake or two. i am sure it's fuckery though.

Spyware

I have been sitting on the fence for quite some time now and last week I said "alright, I think I'll buy this game soon". Then this happened and I immediately flew right up to my post on the fence. I have read the thread and some things are still a bit foggy.

First of all, people defending how it "works" right now is very strange. At best it seems bugged. Please try to understand how this is a problem for people even if it isn't a problem for you.

So, questions. If I buy the game, play it and never ever accept the ToS, will nothing of this happen? No "online storage" of funds that can disconnect and put me in the red? Ever? No restrictions?

If I want to play the FOB thing, will I have full control of all my resources even in single player? No restrictions as long as I am online? The only problem being if the servers bork up and disconnect me which makes 90 % of my funds non-usable and... this sounds so strange and odd. Is this really how it works?

I havent bothered with FoB nonsense but is invading other FoB voluntary done by the player?

If so as big FU to Konami people should boycott invading other peoples FoB.Wishful thinking i know but itd be a pretty badass show of solidarity from gamers against this tyranical digital oppresive BS that is Konami.

I just unlocked the FOB stuff and have gotten mixed answers to the question: "do you actually lose your stuff and staff members when someone invades your FOB"? If I don't touch the game for months and come back could my resources be picked dry? I got insurance for three days and I have a few people on contract but I have people telling me getting invaded just duplicates stuff for them and takes nothing from you.

I just unlocked the FOB stuff and have gotten mixed answers to the question: "do you actually lose your stuff and staff members when someone invades your FOB"? If I don't touch the game for months and come back could my resources be picked dry?.

we don't know if konami blocks invasions to inactive FOBs after a while, so that's a possibility, yes.

You lose unprocessed materials and staff members.

EDIT GMP as well

I havent bothered with FoB nonsense but is invading other FoB voluntary done by the player?
not really... if you play online, you can be invaded and your online resources/all* your soldiers can taken..
*the game doesn't distinguish between online/offline soldiers as it does with gmp or resources

that said, if you don't invade others, your 'PF rank' (PvP rank) is basically at the very bottom of the ladder, and it appears (it's hard to be certain because the game doesn't say) that because you cannot choose your Invasion targets and your 'random target list' is appears to be randomly generated based PvP ranks (the number of lower rank targets appears to lessen as you increase in rank), so this means that if you don't ever PvP with others, then you should in theory be Invaded less.

in practice, I was never Invaded a single time over my first 2 weeks (I was up to a 3/4 FOB platforms) when I had not Invaded anyone else... then when I started raiding people all the time, I was getting usually an Invader per day (mostly not Retaliations, which indicates something I did caused me to begin to appear as a 'random target' more often). I cannot comment on how normal this experience is other than that I've heard some people share the same thing, and others say otherwise (though it is unclear if they were as 100% inactive, as in never ever PvPed before, or just recently inactive). if you even PvP once, it probably bumps you significantly up the PvP ladder because there's probably a huge population basically sitting at 0 (so, I'd recommend that if you don't want to be Invaded, don't Invade even a single time until you're ready). but that said, my impression is that never ever PvPing should drastically lower your chance of being Invaded (to the point where you could be online/fully upgrading your FOB the entire story and likely never be Invaded) but it won't outright remove it... there is still a chance I think.

also interesting, I have not been Invaded a single time in the last week and a half since MGO went online. this could be purely because others are busy with MGO but also related to me stopping Invasions too (to play MGO and other games a bit).

my general feeling is that FOB Invasions are much less of a risk now than at release because:
1. at release, everyone was basically the same 'PvP rank (active and inactive/uninterested players had the same rank so were pooled together), so basically everyone probably could randomly appear as a 'random Invasion target
2. as active players increase in ranking on the ladder, the discrepancy between active and inactive players has increased every week, so every week should make inactive players appear less often as 'random targets' for active players.
3. many of those active players have begun to lose gameplay incentive for targeting inactive/new players because they no longer need resources, and do Invasions either to try get S++ soldiers (which new players don't have) or just for fun/challenge... there are still reasons why it could occur (easy target, fun, griefing, etc) but there should be less of it.
4. many active players probably just became bored or moved to MGO

combine those reasons all together and new players will probably appear less as targets, be targeted less, and the number of active invaders decrease.

Hmm played last night for the first time in a week. There's no way to refuse ToS on ps4, so I was forced to play online.

I disconnected from servers at the ACC and immediately lost 300,000 GMP. I'm a bit low on cash so that loss was quite annoying but whatever I've got some plants to sell and make the money back.

I just hate how convoluted this whole FOB thing has become since the insurance patch mainly :/

All I wanna do is play the damn game and be able to expand MB with a peace of mind.

Every time I hear about this shit I'm so, so glad I said 'nope' to this game. If what the OP says is accurate, #FucKonami couldn't be more true.

Thanks you. That's scary.
you can put all your best or valuable (and probably many that aren't) soldiers under Direct Contract which means you cannot lose them.

i won't tell someone else how to value their soldiers of course because I felt the same way and that's why I never Invaded others either. but what i can say is that I actually wish people Invaded me more now because I don't really care about S rank soldiers or resources anymore, and I'm more interested to see if they can successfully beat the FOB security system (non-lethal, short range, bridge hotzones) that I designed ;p and i also wish that I had done more invasions/been invaded during the story when those things mattered more because if you save it for too long... the risk vs reward disappears.

(this is separate from choosing online or offline, BTW... it's more of a online and active in Invasions vs online and inactive in Invasions question... the offline vs online thing is probably more impacted by the threat of the new transfer system than the threat of invasions, to be perfectly honest. the real online threat is not other players taking your resources but your FOB taking your GMP lol)

in hindsight, I wish I Invaded more during the story because if you try save it to the end-game, a lot of the value is lost. it's one of those things where you feel like you're scared to have a loss and you want to play it safe.... but then once you finally get to a point where you feel safe, and ready... you realize it no longer matters.

Haunted

All I wanna do is play the damn game and be able to expand MB with a peace of mind.
That's what they're actively trying to prevent.

The more the player feels at risk, the more their earned resources are threatened, the more likely it is that they'll succumb to buying those additional FOBs or that insurance.

Someone else asked why there was no way to opt out of this system, not understanding that it would literally defeat the whole point of why they designed the game and these systems in this way.

danowat

Banned

The more the player feels at risk, the more their earned resources are threatened, the more likely it is that they'll succumb to buying those additional FOBs or that insurance.

Someone else asked why there was no way to opt out of this system, not understanding that it would literally defeat the whole point of why they designed the game and these systems in this way.

Perfect marketing though innit, release a game without said push to microtransactions, get rave reviews, sell shit loads of copies, then gradually introduce a push for players, even those who have no interest in online stuff, to use microtransactions.

It's pushing players away from the game, and the use of spending MB Coins is so limited that I don't see many people buying them.

It's obvious what their intention is, but I bet it's not working very well.

Usually mobile games with these mechanics at least are free and/or have an addicting gameplay loop tied to it as the core part of the game, which makes people care less. It's not the case here so it's backfiring. You're getting these F2P mechanics in the trojan horse of a single player console game.

It's so fucking shitty that Konami did this weeks after the game come out and thus assuring no review would ever be affetced by this shitty-ass decision.

This bullshit is so dangerously close to being the always-on-DRM fuckery we fought against on the Xbox One (and to a lesser extent) the PS4.

Konami brought to their flagship title trash we fought off back in 2013.

Yes. #FucKonami

DryvBy

I haven't ran into a single issue with resources or men due to my FOB. I don't play during the week even.

What exactly are the majority of you guys losing?

myco666

Except not, you can just beef up security and carry on your merry way.

Execpt if the player manages to get through and steal bunch of your stuff you also lose lot of GMP depending on how high your security settings are. Sure there probably aren't that many people who can do that but it still is a possibility.

I logged in and then off last night and my precious metals continued to go up. I'm sitting on 80k now. I think that's like 400M GMP? I feel like I'm in the MGSV 1%. I guess like real life this means I can evade taxes.

It's so fucking shitty that Konami did this weeks after the game come out and thus assuring no review would ever be affetced by this shitty-ass decision.

This bullshit is so dangerously close to being the always-on-DRM fuckery we fought against on the Xbox One (and to a lesser extent) the PS4.

Konami brought to their flagship title trash we fought off back in 2013.

Yes. #FucKonami

Well the reviewers played the entire game in offline mode cause the servers weren't even up. So even if it was there from the start, they wouldn't know. Also, you can play the game entirely offline just like the reviewers did, the game is still the same that got all those good notes.

I just unlocked the FOB stuff and have gotten mixed answers to the question: "do you actually lose your stuff and staff members when someone invades your FOB"? If I don't touch the game for months and come back could my resources be picked dry? I got insurance for three days and I have a few people on contract but I have people telling me getting invaded just duplicates stuff for them and takes nothing from you.

You will be low ranked, but it will display u have tons of S rank soldiers if u ignored fob
basically noone will attack you, unless there is a surge in smurfs or something?

jett

D-Member
People need to stop being afraid of going online in this game. I came back online after one week, I only had three invasions, all of them were stopped. Once you get your bases to 3/3 it's very hard for anyone to infiltrate you. The game is always showering with recruits and such too. It really isn't a big deal.

Top Bottom