• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 + Star Wars Battlefront ad

That ad hits home so perfectly. Except I was playing with Star Wars Legos and not action figures. But still, that's probably the best ad Sony has ever put out.

etta

my hard graphic balls
cod maybe, no way halo will outsell it lol...

SW for Xbox will probably outsell halo

laugh-michael-scott.gif

BokehKing

Banned
I know you're a halo fan, but you really really think halo will outsell Star Wars? Really?

A casual game vs a hardcore e sports shooter? A game where the community constantly ridicules the skill llevel of other people playing the games on streams. Does not sound healthy or inviting to casuals at all

(I'm talking X1 only sales)

eizarus

Banned
This questions going to sound ridiculous but I'm seriously asking it:

With what happened to Titanfall, and CoD and Halo on the horizon, assuming this game sells a shitload (look at the free marketing it's going getting just from the fact that there's a Star Wars movie coming a month after it and the promo material for that really goes up a gear), how likely is it to have an impact as the big FPS this winter?

(Yes I know we just have to wait and see, but some speculation doesn't hurt).

BokehKing

Banned
This questions going to sound ridiculous but I'm seriously asking it:

With what happened to Titanfall, and CoD and Halo on the horizon, assuming this game sells a shitload (look at the free marketing it's going getting just from the fact that there's a Star Wars movie coming a month after it and the promo material for that really goes up a gear), how likely is it to have an impact as the big FPS this winter?

(Yes I know we just have to wait and see, but some speculation doesn't hurt).
It will be huge because it's not e-sports and all "head shots or gtfo " type mentalities
This will be a whole new generations first FPS game

Xbox is Halo. I would for sure be surprised if SW:BF outsold Halo 5 on XB1.

That said, maybe SW:BF PS4 > Halo 5, after the Holidays are over and the movie has been and gone.

DavidDesu

While I'm not jumping for joy at just how much money EA is going to make here and yeah that Season Pass price is ridiculous, I must say congratulations in advance. This is going to sell so ridiculously well. I know many hardcore FPS gamers here hated the Beta, but for me it was fantastic. For most Star Wars fans out there it will fill a very big hole as far as good immersive Star Wars gaming goes, and at the PERFECT time with the new film out so very soon.

I'm curious to see the feedback loop as, if I suspect, the film turns out pretty damn good, sales of this game are just going to go on and on. Plus as a result of this ad most of those sales are likely going PS4's way with a healthy amount of new consoles sold through too.

Elandyll

Banned
Xbox is Halo. I would for sure be surprised if SW:BF outsold Halo 5 on XB1.

That said, maybe SW:BF PS4 > Halo 5, after the Holidays are over and the movie has been and gone.
Out of curiosity, what would the sales benchmark be?

I could only find that Reuters UK estimated the first two weeks of Halo 3 @ 5.6m units WW.

Halo (the game) is going to be huge, that's for sure.

That ad does nothing for me at all, it shows no gameplay whatsoever.
Same...I just can't relate to it. I don't think I have ever had any connection to the franchise or merchandise of star wars outside of a random McDonald's toy. I guess it works for those that did though.

eizarus

Banned
It will be huge because it's not e-sports and all "head shots or gtfo " type mentalities
This will be a whole new generations first FPS game
Agree with that last sentence. It's anecdotal but my 10 and 7 year old cousins who have no interest in FPS games played the hell out of the SW beta and keep asking me when it's available to buy.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Star wars is more popular than halo
Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever. It's up there with Mario and Grand Theft Auto.
You think everyone who loves Star Wars movies will rush out to buy the game? My friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, read every comic, every thing Star Wars out there, played the beta and will hold off on buying it day one because the lack of content doesn't justify full price.
You guys are overestimating how many fans of Star Wars will rush out to buy this game.

WarWolf

Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever. It's up there with Mario and Grand Theft Auto.
You think everyone who loves Star Wars movies will rush out to buy the game? My friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, read every comic, every thing Star Wars out there, played the beta and will hold off on buying it day one because of the lack of content doesn't justify full price.
You guys are overestimating how many fans of Star Wars will rush out to buy this game.

I don't think Halo is on GTA or Mario level at all. Didn't GTA 5 sell over 50 million alone?

Cornbread78

LOL, I sent the link to my buddy in the office and he said they played it a couple times last night during the Patriot vs. Colts game last night.. It gave him an instant nerdgasm...

JB1981

All I gotta say is EA better have some stellar servers ready because when the Star Wars mania kicks into high gear this holiday their servers are going to get crushed!!

BokehKing

Banned
You think everyone who loves Star Wars movies will rush out to buy the game? My friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, read every comic, every thing Star Wars out there, played the beta and will hold off on buying it day one because the lack of content doesn't justify full price.
Kind of like how you are over estimating halo?

people will always remember Mario, people will always know who Vader is.....please don't try saying John 117 is up there

DirtyLarry

I almost never, ever feel as if a commercial is made that represents my interests or my life or my world view, however this commercial does that brilliantly. This commercial is me, and this is exactly what I said when the game was first announced. It does not really matter how great or not great that game ultimately winds up being, the fact it exists is enough for me to pick it up and enjoy it tremendously no matter what.

Interfectum

I think you are underestimating the amount of hype that will be around Star Wars in November. The game is going to be massively successful.

Ricky_R

Mmm not sure that's really accurate, unless you're talking about popularity in the video game arena. Saleswise it's not really that close.

Cornbread78

All I gotta say is EA better have some stellar servers ready because when the Star Wars mania kicks into high gear this holiday their servers are going to get crushed!!

Someone should remind them on this. Complete server crash for Xmas day is inevitable at this point.

MADGAME

Over 9 million unique users played the beta (according to EA), and the servers held up beautifully. Not hard to search around and see the praise of quick and seamless matchmaking. I agree though, they will need to ensure a solid infrastructure after release but I believe that is quite high on their priority list.

Cornbread78

wait, do you really think HaloV will outsell BF3 this holiday season?

Bishop89

VzV1mIV.gif

And you are overestimating how many people will get halo, especially after the damage 4 did to the franchise/fanbase.

Eggbok

You think everyone who loves Star Wars movies will rush out to buy the game? My friend who is a huge Star Wars fan, read every comic, every thing Star Wars out there, played the beta and will hold off on buying it day one because of the lack of content doesn't justify full price.

You are underestimating the amount of people that care or even know about the content or lack there of that is in the final game.
You are absolutely right that Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever, but you fail to acknowledge that Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises ever.

Star Wars easily has a much lager audience to pull from which is why people are so sure it's going to sell well.
Halo 5 will sell great, but don't forget that Call of Duty comes out the following week and then Battlefront following up.

etta

my hard graphic balls
You are underestimating the amount of people that care or even know about the content or lack there of that is in the final game.
You are absolutely right that Halo is one of the biggest gaming franchises ever, but you fail to acknowledge that Star Wars is one of the biggest franchises ever.

Star Wars easily has a much lager audience to pull from which is why people are so sure it's going to sell well.

Of course not, Star Wars is a massive franchise. But Star Wars universe fan does not equal game fan.
How well did the previous Star Wars games fare? Did they sell insane amounts for their time as well?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

I can change this entire post to say the same thing about Halo and that hardcore Halo fans will hold off on Halo 5 because of their experiences with Halo 4 and the MCC.

In other words, I take issue with your anecdote, or anyone's anecdote for that matter when it involves "I know one person who does something."

Game4life

Banned

Sorry the bolded is not true. Halo is big but nowhere close to GTA big. It is not in the same league.

BokehKing

Banned
As far as biggest franchises, we are talking COD/Mario/Pokemon/mario kart/need 4 speed/sonic/GTA/the sims/final fantasy

Halo is still Assasins Creed level

Interfectum

Of course not, Star Wars is a massive franchise. But Star Wars universe fan does not equal game fan.
How well did the previous Star Wars games fare? Did they sell insane amounts for their time as well?

This is a perfect storm for the Battlefront game though. Hype for the new movie is going to be insane and people will want to absorb themselves in Star Wars any way possible. There hasn't been this much hype for the SW franchise since before Episode I.

le.phat

1262.gif

182.gif

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Halo Battlefront ad. Nice! I love it when cortana is that little robot now in physical form

Top Bottom