• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Anung

Un Rama
And finished. It loses a lot of steam right at the finishing line but for the most part that was really enjoyable.

Some random spoilery thoughts:
- Throwing the same boss at you time and time again is shit. Warden you are a big pile of bullshit.
- The Prometheans overstay their welcome and then some.
- I liked Cortana as the big bad. I'm glad they dropped all mention of Diadact. He was super lame.
- The scale is insane.
- The game has excellent encounter pacing but poor plot pacing if you get me?
- Locke is dull but the team banter is good with a nice diversity of cast.
- No where near enough 117 and Blue Team.

If Halo 4 was a 6/10 to me then this would be a 7.5/10. It's not going to change the world but its an incremental improvement and as a huge Halo fan its totally a step in the right direction. I think it has the power to be an 8/10 when played in co-op as it feels like it was built around that experience.

yep thats were they improved tenfold. on the gameplay. melee hits actually feel like they pack a punch now with enemies flying off into the sunset when hit with the dash lol

i just wish they would have tried to balance scales a bit and gave blue team a bigger presence...
hopefuly people will make an uproar again like during the halo 2 times with the arbiter so halo 6 gets back on track again ....

on a different note, battle of sunaion was by far my fav mission in this game and it was an osiris mission lol

As a fan of Halo but not a hardcore one, I'm ok with not playing the chief a whole lot. Was a nice break from playing him all the time. For me Halo is more about the universe than the Chief and if anything, I'd rather 343i start making spin offs than focusing on Chief and Cortana. Whilst he is important in this story and there are some good missions with him, I actually preferred playing in fireteam Osiris to be fair!

Agree with Battle of Sunaion. That was a super unique mission. The art direction is great.

Really happy with the ADS, sprint and ground pound abilities though. It feels so good, and just so...right.

Moving from other thread.

Just want to share a few quick thoughts from playing on Legenday. This is not any kind of thorough review and these thoughts may be subject to change after I replay it a few times.

Gameplay and Mission Design: The gunplay in Halo 5 feels amazing. There's a good mix of wide open and close quarters infantry combat, often alongside land and aerial based vehicle combat. The scope of the game is very large and the encounters are mostly sandbox, but there are still some [really cool] scripted set pieces. The missions are very linear, but the sandboxy areas often have multiple paths with a lot of verticality; like a river with many diverting channels and the occasional pond. If you're struggling on an encounter, you can look around and find somewhere on the map that will give you an edge. The one thing I don't appreciate however are the amount of
symmetrical boss arenas (usually Forerunner) with waist-high cover. Just doesn't make for an interesting playspace to me.

Level Design: It's much cleaner than Halo 4 and each area has a unique color palette and mood. The environments are well built but not overly detailed. Some locations are jaw dropping while others can be eye sores when they overstay their welcome.

Friendly AI: The squadmates either surprise me with how they are able to maneuver around obstacles to get to me, or completely dumbfounds me when i'm standing right next to them and they don't revive me because i'm behind something. Blue Team is especially guilty of this - I swear Fred's HUD is busted. These missions will be A LOT better in co-op. The revive also seems inconsistent because sometimes I have a few seconds after death, and other times I just die instantly even if they're all still alive. Perhaps the system is just auto calculating their ability to reach me?

Enemies: The Covenant are smarter (especially Hunters), but 343 loves to throw Jackal Snipers everywhere, so I often feel funneled to the sides rather than free to move about. Prometheans are challenging, but I don't find them that enjoyable to fight because the bullet sponginess is apparent when there are dozens of them on screen. The class distribution is much better than Halo 4 this time aroudn though; Soldiers are like Skirmishers, Knights are like Brute Chieftans and Watchers are few and far between.

Performance: Animation in the cutscenes frequently jitters and sometimes my position in the level will randomly shift a few coordinates. And yea, the whole 30FPS enemy thing is noticeable from 15 feet away, but even that isn't consistent either. Think i only had a few dropped frames early in the game but the framerate is otherwise smooth. Graphics are fine - it looks better than Halo 4, but not by much (I think that says more about how good Halo 4 looks though.)

Length: I'm not a speedrunner, so playing on Legendary killing all the enemies with the odd wipe now and then, I'd say each mission should take 15-30 minutes. Any time I thought a level was going on longer than that, it was actually the level afterwards.

Story:
I don't think it's very good. I get the whole mysterious "hunt the truth" angle, but there's way too much telling and not enough showing. The lore behind it is enriching and I enjoyed that aspect, but I really couldn't care about anybody halfway through - not even whatever zombie they turned Cortana into. Everyone is on edge, but I'm never shown why. Some of the cutscenes are incredible, but most seem to end abruptly and feel way too serious for their own good..

Characters:
Warden is way cooler than Didact....until you fight him 20 times and hear the same dialog over and over (literally the same dialog... every 5 seconds... over and over).
I dunno what's up with Locke. He's about as interesting as a piece of driftwood whose character doesn't develop more than the hint that he might secretly have a crush on Palmer - who is also a piece of driftwood here without her egghead quirps.
I love Cortana, but given this "antagonist" role she served here, I would rather that she stayed dead.
The in-mission dialog between Blue Team is refreshing and Osiris seems to enjoy working together going by theirs.
The Arbiter really wants the Covenant to fall, doesn't he...
I like Exuberant's dialog, but I dunno about her voice actor. It sounds unrefined, which is jarring compared to the other talent in the cast.
Couldn't care for the other AI, Governor Sloan either. The whole exchange with him and Locke felt very dry to me.

Closing: I think it will be really replayable in co-op, but it feels hollow somehow. Am a bit disappointed I could only really get into a few of the levels.

diamount

Banned
Does anyone think it's misleading where they were hyping up the antagonistic relationship between Chief and Locke? Outside of that crappy fight scene, there was none of that.

Anybody willing to give me a quick write up on the plot and such? I see a lot of remarks about certain characters but what's the ending like, what's the deal with Cortana and Locke?

Zoba were you hyped for Halo 5 because of the campaign or the mp? Seems like the story is a disappointment but the gameplay is great which should shine best at multiplayer.

Caboose

Not sure what 343 is thinking with Locke. He sucked in Nightfall and he's dull as dirt in 5 as well. Why does he get so much focus? Why is Palmer still the worst?

Zoba were you hyped for Halo 5 because of the campaign or the mp? Seems like the story is a disappointment but the gameplay is great which should shine best at multiplayer.

Campaign and Forge.

Campaign has deflated that a bit, but the gameplay is sublime so MP will definitely be great. Just hope the maps are good in the mean time.

Not sure what 343 is thinking with Locke. He sucked in Nightfall and he's dull as dirt in 5 as well. Why does he get so much focus? Why is Palmer still the worst?

Hmm why did did the Chief get so much focus in Halo 1,2,3, and 4? I mean his personality basically consists of a few cheap one-liners and that's it.

I do chuckle everytime someone says they'd rather play as Chief than a dull character like Locke. That moment when you realize Chief is as dull, if not more-so, than Locke. Hell, every Spartan II is dull as hell. The funny thing is people love them for that yet hate the new breed of Spartans precisely because they're not like that.

Hmm why did did the Chief get so much focus in Halo 1,2,3, and 4? I mean his personality basically consists of a few cheap one-liners and that's it.

I do chuckle everytime someone says they'd rather play as Chief than a dull character like Locke. That moment when you realize Chief is as dull, if not more-so, than Locke. Hell, every Spartan II is dull as hell. The funny thing is people love them for that yet hate the new breed of Spartans precisely because they're not like that.

Chief doesn't look like Isaac Clarke, that's one thing. Chief also has a sense of humor, or at least did until around Halo 3 where he started getting all super serious , and then moreso when 343 made him "a real character'' by draining him of any kind of humor.

Chief doesn't look like Isaac Clarke, that's one thing. Chief also has a sense of humor, or at least did until around Halo 3 where he started getting all super serious.

Chief has a sense of humor? I must have missed it. Cliche and cringe-worthy one-liners isn't a good sense of humor in my eyes.

His humor played off of Johnson and Cortana.

And that credit goes to Johnson and Cortana, not the Chief. That's made abundantly clear by whenever Chief is alone. Chief has absolutely no sense of humor. Never did. And if a sense of humor is the best argument there is for you then you know you're not exactly an interesting character.

And that credit goes to Johnson and Cortana, not the Chief. That's made abundantly clear by whenever Chief is alone. Chief has absolutely no sense of humor. Never did. And if a sense of humor is the best argument there is for you then you know you're not exactly an interesting character.

Point is, Locke doesn't even have that.

Chief has a sense of humor? I must have missed it. Cliche and cringe-worthy one-liners isn't a good sense of humor in my eyes.

Cliché one-liners fit in perfectly with a sci-fi space marine shooting up aliens in an 70s/80s sci-fi inspired universe. Chief has always seemed like a very lucky simpleton who killed aliens and didn't afraid of anything while Cortana backed him up in the brains department. Him saying melodramatic things and questioning what it means to be a human like in Halo 4 doesn't really fit his character, it feels like if Han Solo all of a sudden started quoting Nietzsche or something.

Whenever Chief is alone he is most likely shooting aliens in the face, he's not Dante, he's not gonna be cracking wise while shooting a grunt with a rocket. Maybe when Platinum makes a Halo game.

Point is, Locke doesn't even have that.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed his banter with Buck throughout the game, so I strongly disagree with you there.

And like I said before, if a sense of humor (which I find laughable at best) is the best argument there is for Chief then he's about as dull as they come.

But I mean Halo fans are as hypocritical as they come, so it really doesn't surprise me that people will bash 343 for having as dull of a character as Locke when they've been playing as one for the past 4 games.

*shrugs*

Cliché one-liners fit in perfectly with a sci-fi space marine shooting up aliens in an 70s/80s sci-fi inspired universe. Chief has always seemed like a very lucky simpleton who killed aliens and didn't afraid of anything while Cortana backed him up in the brains department. Him saying melodramatic things and questioning what it means to be a human like in Halo 4 doesn't really fit his character, it feels like if Han Solo all of a sudden started quoting Nietzsche or something.

Whenever Chief is alone he is most likely shooting aliens in the face, he's not Dante, he's not gonna be cracking wise while shooting a grunt with a rocket. Maybe when Platinum makes a Halo game.

All reasons for why he's a boring as hell character.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed his banter with Buck throughout the game, so I strongly disagree with you there.

And like I said before, if a sense of humor (which I find laughable at best) is the best argument there is for Chief then he's about as dull as they come.

But I mean Halo fans are as hypocritical as they come, so it really doesn't surprise me that people will bash 343 for having as dull of a character as Locke when they've been playing as one for the past 4 games.

*shrugs*

Or you know, people don't want another dull character. "Hey, lets add another playable character. He's just as dull as the Chief."

What an absolutely idiotic idea.

*shrugs*

Whoa there buddy, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I dislike 343 introducing a new character and not fleshing him out. I personally don't think Chief was a great character, but I also don't think he needed to be melodramatic when he had strong supporting characters to play off of.

And I like Chief in Halo 5, much more than he was in Halo 4.

You're missing the point entirely.

No, I don't think I am. You're calling Halo fans hypocritical for not wanting dull Locke. And ignoring reasoning which actually makes sense. Your defense of Locke's characterization is "Chief too". Perhaps some fans don't want a game filled to the brim with dull playable characters?

No, I don't think I am. You're calling Halo fans hypocritical for not wanting dull Locke. And ignoring reasoning which actually makes sense.

And you're still missing the point.

Master Chief is cool. That's why people like him

That's literally the most shallow reason to like a character, but to each their own.

Whoa there buddy, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I dislike 343 introducing a new character and not fleshing him out. I personally don't think Chief was a great character, but I also don't think he needed to be melodramatic when he had strong supporting characters to play off of.

And I like Chief in Halo 5, much more than he was in Halo 4.

Yea he kind of did because he wasn't remotely interesting in Halo 1,2,3, and 4. Hell, he's not even interesting in 5. The only place Chief is even slightly interesting in is in the books and that's because he actually talks and his backstory is fleshed out.

Ok. So is the actual main character of the franchise, so I mean if you like him then you're essentially proving my point.

So, we're in agreement then? You agree Locke is a dull character?

Good. Because I don't think I suggested that Chief is a particularly interesting character either. Glad you moved on from the "Chief too" argument which holds no weight against someone who finds both characters rather boring.

That's literally the most shallow reason to like a character, but to each their own.

That's literally why people like 99% of videogame characters. Why do you think people like Dante? It's because he's cool. Why do you think people like Cloud? It's certainly not because he whines a lot. Why do you think people like Snake? It's because he's cool. There's a reason people absolutely hated Raiden when he was first revealed, and I don't think Lockes blandness is some kind of MGS2-esque metacommentary on Chiefs supposed blandness.

Your point sounds like "chief was dull so Halo fans can't complain about a new character being dull."

No, it's not. You, like Primethius, are missing the point. It's the fact that people whine about having to play as a character as uninteresting as Locke and not getting to play as Chief, who happens to be a character about as interesting as Locke.

If you're complaining about playing as Locke because he's dull then don't complain about the lack of Chief (or Blue Team for that matter) who's no more interesting than Locke.

No, it's not. You, like Primethius, are missing the point. It's the fact that people whine about having to play as a character as uninteresting as Locke and not getting to play as Chief, who happens to be a character about as interesting as Locke.

If you're complaining about playing as Locke because he's dull then don't complain about the lack of Chief (or Blue Team for that matter) who's no more interesting than Locke.

Yea, yea, keep pretending we're missing the point while you continue to ignore ours.

Whatever dude. Both characters are borefests. Sad that 343 wasted time introducing such a boring character.

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

Yea, yea, keep pretending we're missing the point while you continue to ignore ours.

Whatever dude. Both characters are borefests. Sad that 343 wasted time introducing such a boring character.

I'm ignoring your point because my original point had absolutely nothing to do with it nor was it addressed to people who find both characters rather boring.

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

Locke is boring because he's a new character with no history with the franchise on top of having no personality.

Chief also has no personality in the games, but we know Chief. We get excited for a "Chief" Halo game because Master Chief is Halo.

You don't go to watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie because he's a good actor. You do it for the cheesy one liners and ass kicking.

Locke is the new guy trying to be Arnold and thus replacing him in the lead role, whereas Arnold makes a Cameo.

Yes, we know Chief. We know that he's about as interesting as a brick. I don't care if he's been in 5 games while Locke has only been in one. That doesn't make him anymore interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone please summarize the plot or link to a post/article that does ?

Greatly appreciated.

Locke is boring because he's a new character with no history with the franchise on top of having no personality. Why do I care about this guy?

Chief also has no personality in the games, but we know Chief. We know what he did in the games, and we know that there were people around him that mattered to him. We get excited for a "Chief" Halo game because Master Chief is Halo.

You don't go to watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie because he's a good actor. You do it for the cheesy one liners and ass kicking.

Locke is the new guy trying to be Arnold and thus replacing him in the lead role, while Arnold makes a cameo.

Why not have Locke be his own character? Nobody wants him to be "another dull generic space marine", but that's what we got, minus 10+ years of history that would make him endearing in spite of that.

Typical gif rebuttals.

Because there's no point in arguing with circular logic. It's exhausting.

nOoblet16

Ok. So is the actual main character of the franchise, so I mean if you like him then you're essentially proving my point.

The difference is that the said main character is a legend in the game universe, he is someone extraordinary and he was so even before the start of Halo 1. Locke on the other hand does not have that as he is a new character with nothing going for him and at the same time he doesn't have the personality either, Buck is a far more interesting character actually.

I only wish they didn't make him look exactly like Nathan Fillion and act like Malcom Reynolds in Halo 5 and stayed closer to his portrayal in ODST instead.

EDIT: Zoba said the same damn thing hah.

bidguy

Banned
i like how the story is basically "created" rebelling against "creator" now. exactly how the forerunners took the mantle from the precursors

The difference is that the said main character is a legend in the game universe, he is someone extraordinary and he was so even before the start of Halo 1. Locke on the other hand does not have that and at the same time he doesn't have the personality either, Buck is a far more interesting character actually.

I only wish they didn't make him look exactly like Nathan Fillion and act like Malcom Reynolds in Halo 5 and stayed closer to his portrayal in ODST instead.

Yea he's playing the same character in Destiny lol

Can someone please summarize the plot or link to a post/article that does ?

Greatly appreciated.

Forgive my poor summation skills.
-Halsey tells infinity stuff is gonna go down
-Locke, his band of power rangers, and Buck retrieve Halsey and kill Jul
-Halsey says Cortana is back and is waking up the Bayformers known as "Guardians"
-Chief sees a vision from what seems to be space magic and thinks Cortana is alive
-Chief says he's gonna go get Cortana
-Infinity says aww hell no but Chief is a strong man who just wants to save his waifu so he goes rogue and blue team follows
-Locke and Co. go to meridian where a bayformer wakes up and a bionicle known as "Warden Eternal" says he is in service to cortana
-Bionicle believes that AI are the rightful inheritors of the mantle (?)
-Locke and Co. meet up with an AI voiced by an anime character to stop Cortana
-Cortana tries to get all of the AIs to join her because she is AI jesus and can cure them of Rampancy
-Cortanas main goal is to force everyone to stop fighting by threatening them with the Bayformers, basically nuclear deterrence but with big robots
-Cortana tries to put Blue Team in a Cryptum till her goal is achieved
-Locke and Co. save chief
-Infinity is stranded out in BFE Space Quadrant 342134
-Cortana is taking possession of the Halo rings as a backup I guess

Top Bottom