• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

They need to add some casual playlists already.

Nobody wants to play competitive all the time.

Pretty much this. It's pretty weird seeing how professional players had such a big input in how the game was developed. I was reading the guy's post and when he went "shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1" my literal reaction was "is this supposed to mean anything to me?"

I'm from a different crowd. If I started talking about Sangheili, Precursors and Primordials, Ghost would be slowly blinking his eyes as the light behind them temporarily went out. So that's okay. Hearing how pro players influenced the game's aiming with that excuse just sounds odd to me, though.

I've been playing for two weeks, I've gotten used to the aiming by now. I can kill enemies pretty effectively, assuming I actually get put on an EU server and not thrown on a different one to serve as cannon fodder. The only times I've ever noticed this is when I need to turn around and look up or down quickly: suddenly it feels like my Spartan got caught in quicksand. I highly doubt that's the effect they wanted to go for.

It explains so much, right?

I was seriously dreading having to buy a new one already, thought my diagonal axis was busted. Even loaded up another game to check it.

TheOddOne

It's not just the playlists though, it's the aiming. Introducing Halo's more casual fun oriented playlists isn't going to change the fact that they designed the game in such a way that it's difficult for many to even play. I think they need to look at Halo 2 Anniversary's aiming because that struck a nice balance of being easy to play, but also allowed for lots of skilled play. I feel like 343 has put a barrier between me and the game with the aiming.
Yeah, the entry to barrier has been upped quite a bit. I wonder if they would budge for different settings to counter that in a casual environment.

MilkBeard

After playing multiplayer for a while, I can say that there does feel like some kind of sluggishness on occasion, almost like there is a rubberband effect on the control. It's not enough to completely kill it, but it does take some getting used to. It would probably be better if the movement was smoother, more linear. I do feel like I wish there was some quicker movement at certain occasions.

It's still enjoyable, though.

Yeah, the entry to barrier has been upped quite a bit. I wonder if they would budge for different settings to counter that in a casual environment.
It'd be fine if "The Arena" Playlist was the only one with this aiming, while Team Slayer, CTF, Warzone and all other playlists had aiming more like other games (specifically Halo games).

TheOddOne

It'd be fine if "The Arena" Playlist was the only one with this aiming, while Team Slayer, CTF, Warzone and all other playlists had aiming more like other games (specifically Halo games).
Cohesiveness between modes would be lost though.

On the other hand, they budged on Breakout’s non-shield recharge.

gossi

The social media employee at 343 did not confirm in his post it was broken. He just said they're looking into the post in question.

Pretty much this. It's pretty weird seeing how professional players had such a big input in how the game was developed. I was reading the guy's post and when he went "shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1" my literal reaction was "is this supposed to mean anything to me?"

The "Pro" team feedback and decisions should have been limited to just Arena, not fundamental design choices. And i had your same reaction, is that seriously supposed to mean anything to me? They switched something that works well, just because they could.

Has anyone tried this themselves?
Just loaded up the game and aiming is fine for me, no where near that speed difference in the video.

Only thing I can think of is maybe they need to update their firmware on the controller.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The "Pro" team feedback and decisions should have been limited to just Arena, not fundamental design choices. And i had your same reaction, is that seriously supposed to mean anything to me? They switched something that works well, just because they could.
Honestly even as a player who played Halo 2 and Halo 3 MP a lot and was active in the biggest European Halo forum..what are they talking about?

Could someone please explain how they handled the pistol in halo CE?

I think making two different kinds of aiming across the game would be a bad idea.
Sure, but with the way this game was designed for pro play specifically and the way Ghost talked about why it is the way it is it sounds like they found what they want. It doesn't seem like they considered what would be best for the average player, just what they think is best for competition. I'd love for them to prove me wrong though.
ITT: People who suck at the game using this as an excuse for their sucking.
Thank you for your great contribution to this discussion.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just loaded up the game and aiming is fine for me, no where near that speed difference in the video.

Only thing I can think of is maybe they need to update their firmware on the controller.
A 343 pro gamer even said it exists and is an intentional decision. How you can not see it I can not understand.

Sure, but with the way this game was designed for pro play specifically and the way Ghost talked about why it is the way it is it sounds like they found what they want. It doesn't seem like they considered what would be best for the average player, just what they think is best for competition. I'd love for them to prove me wrong though.
But I'm sure concessions were made in other areas. Don't pro players not use radar at ALL? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Point being, a mechanic as fundamental as aiming is very important to strike the right balance in.

Like someone else said, with this, it'll be off-putting to a lot of people who don't have, or simply don't want to invest a lot of time to get accustomed to aiming in this one, particular Halo game.

Pro players thrived in other Halo games. I don't see how altering this would harm anything.

A 343 pro gamer even said it exists and is an intentional decision. How you can not see it I can not understand.

I am honestly not seeing it, also in the example video in the OP the first time the person moves diagonally the speed it fine then when they move it the opposite diagonal direction it slows down.

Tried recreating it and I don't see the issue on my end, have you tried it yourself?

Also I think the 343 guy was talking about the non linear acceleration along the axis

GavinGT

Banned

Rotate the stick from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock, and you'll notice about halfway that the cursor speed suddenly changes. This is the point at which it transitions from the horizontal speed to the vertical speed. This isn't anything new to Halo, but either the angle it changes is too shallow or the difference between horizontal and vertical speeds is too much. Something is wrong.

SnplJRI.png

Mechazawa

Watch the video in the OP. There's a massive discrepancy between the diagonals and the up/down movements.

That's not a design decision, that's a bug. My turning speed isn't anything like that at those angles.

Rotate the stick from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock, and you'll notice about halfway that the cursor speed suddenly changes. This is the point at which it transitions from the horizontal speed to the vertical speed. This isn't anything new to Halo, but either the angle it changes is too shallow or the difference between horizontal and vertical speeds is too much. Something is wrong.

I went back to Halo 4 and just ran around an empty map and it felt way better than doing the same in Halo 5.

Tried that even put the sensitivity down to 1 still seems fine for me.

Scrawnton

I love the game. It plays great, but it seems like the multiplayer modes are only set up for competitive tournament play. I don't like that. I want big team battles and fast respawns.

I will still play this game but I'm gonna get Blops 3 to scratch several different itches next week.

GavinGT

Banned
Tried that even put the sensitivity down to 1 still seems fine for me.

OK, you notice the difference between horizontal and vertical speeds, right? It's a huge difference. Now find the angle at which it transitions from moving at the horizontal speed to moving at the vertical speed.

OK, you notice the difference between horizontal and vertical speeds, right? It's a huge difference. Now find the angle at which it transitions from moving at the horizontal speed to moving at the vertical speed.

Yeah H and V are definitely different speeds but what I'm saying is the difference is no where near that bad as shown the second video in OP

-edit-

Only odd behaviour I see is when you keep stick at max left/right for a second or two and then do a quarter circle upward then there is a massive speed shift, but not when looking around normally

Lucifon

This needs sorting. I knew since I first played something didn't feel 'right' but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. As I've been playing I love the game, but I've been getting endlessly frustrated with the aiming causing me deaths and feeling like it wasn't quite my fault - as if the sticks weren't resulting in the input my mind expects them to. It's the similar feeling I had with Killzone 2 (although the symptoms are different). Please fix it!

VinFTW

Uh, yes, it is.

Sorry this game turned out so well, you'll have to find sown thing else to bash :/

------------

Also it's hilarious to me that you can see anything from gamefaqs tier posts to halogaf community bashing in halo threads now without a single threat of punishment.

I don't know how the moderation has gotten worse in halo threads since they assured us it would get better after taking away halogaf, but rest assured, it has.

So kudos on that.

I don't know how the moderation has gotten worse in halo threads since they assured us it would get better after taking away halogaf, but rest assured, it has.

So kudos on that.

I've PMed a couple of mods about this thread, I guess they are looking into it.

Lucifon

SnplJRI.png

Why can't the H and V speeds just be the same. I hate it when games have different speeds on different axis, leads to things not feeling smooth - or at least just let us manually change them.

EGM1966

The response seems to indicate this isn't "broken" just a different balance from before tuned to 60fps - right? I presume they'll monitor it and if its not popular with players they'll tune it again.

Zombine

Banned
I primarily play FPS games, and I rotate between my favorite console and PC shooters daily, but I can't help but feel like the aiming in Halo 5 is complete and total jank. It feels like I'm frequently fighting the sticks to get my sights on an enemy, and my ability to pull off simple shots has gone down immensely. Please fix this. The aiming is really, really bad.

VinFTW

I primarily play FPS games, and I rotate between my favorite console and PC shooters daily, but I can't help but feel like the aiming in Halo 5 is complete and total jank. It feels like I'm frequently fighting the sticks to get my sights on an enemy, and my ability to pull off simple shots has gone down immensely. Please fix this. The aiming is really, really bad.
You're blaming the lack of aim assist with this bug.

It's a minor bug, but the lack of aim assist is the biggest change.

I fear that this bug is getting overblown because people can't adjust to the lack of aim assist.

I'm gonna hop on halo 5 someday and see that they made the aiming easier than halo 2 because people can't deal with less aim assist...

Then I will cry.

singhr1

It's not even a bug. It's a design decision. Most halo games had different sensitivity curves across different axes. Halo 3 had it for sure, not sure if others did.

Many people are confusing the axis sensitivities with the reduced aim assist that makes it harder to aim. If the top champion ranks are able to hit ~50% of their shots, its clearly not effected them in a significant way.

Yep. Just tested it and I have the same problem. Guessing it's universal?

Nice that I now have something to blame for my terrible performance other than my own skill. The slowed diagonal movement has made Bumper Jumper useless for me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Also it's hilarious to me that you can see anything from gamefaqs tier posts to halogaf community bashing in halo threads now without a single threat of punishment.

So kudos on that.

You sure you're not taking this whole thing a touch too personal here?

Knee-jerk emotional responses are not exclusive to Halo threads. Go visit a Ubisoft thread.
There's plenty of people in here corroborating the aiming issue, many would like it fixed i'd imagine.

AGoodODST

Some impressive mental gymnastics to get to that title.

The aiming is fine, takes a few games to get to grips with sure, but that's about it.

That being said, I can get people finding it weird. Hopefully people can get used to it or a better solution is found.

Yes, I mean what would a pro Halo player know about aiming. In Halo. What were they thinking?

Well Too bad Halo isn't just for "Pro" players. I don't care if they can aim or not, they changed something that worked just fine because basically they "know we will adjust". By your logic, let's eliminate all social playlists and change Slayer for their "MLG" gametype with the outstanding variety of BR's only.

I understand expressing concerns over things people don't like, but seems like these are blown way out of proportions. Calling 343i hacks and what not. Almost feels like some want to take Halo down with threads like this. I got burned by shitty MP of MCC too, but c'mon guys.

Kssio_Aug

Are we sure this isn't an actual design decision? Surely with months of testing and hundreds of hours with the pro-team they would have realized that there was a bug, or at least that aiming was funny.

This.

Also, I haven't noticed any issue with the aiming, except the lower sensitive compared to previous Halo games (I'm using at 9 and its excellent now).

15 hours and more than 40 matches online, in less than 2 days. For me the game is AWESOME gameplay wise! Nothing felt broken to me in that regard.

BriGuy

I thought there was something off. Heh, with my luck, I'll learn to compensate for it at the moment they change it and then I'll be right back to sucking again.

Speaking of broken mechanics, does anyone else have a problem with sprinting? I feel like I can only get it to work about half the time I click in the analog stick.

Top Bottom